Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gologle posted:

That reads like Forge has low to mid level cosmic awareness like guys like the Silver Surfer, Thor, Galactus, etc. have.

He's also shaman and could actually cast magic spells in the past, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A fan minutia moment, I googled and see that page is from X-Factor's part of the Phalanx Covenant, Life Signs. In my time burning ways I curated myself a reading order of 90s X-Men books, skipping a lot of stuff, and opted to skip Life Signs. Just to make my load three issues lighter. And I miss a glorious Forge moment. Thus is the lot of the comic reader, too many to read, but you kinda want to read them all. But it's just not possible. Plus I'd probably get bored of the less good stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

rantmo posted:

Tempo's gonna have a strong showing, X-fans loving love obscure but interesting characters like that. Personally I'm torn between her, Strong Guy, or Banshee because I'm the person who has always loved Banshee.

I’ve always liked Tempo because of her 1994 trading card. Just some golden woman with all these blurred lines around her. Don’t really remember her from any comics, but I always remembered that image. She was the T in the X-Men ABC book I made in elementary school.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

He's also shaman and could actually cast magic spells in the past, I think.

He called demons up to avenge the killing of his unit in Vietnam!

Which I guess means that actually happened in that racist fake Vietnam that's now canon?

Anyway, Forge is good and that one time he wore those horny shorts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

He called demons up to avenge the killing of his unit in Vietnam!

Which I guess means that actually happened in that racist fake Vietnam that's now canon?

Anyway, Forge is good and that one time he wore those horny shorts.

Didn't he also cast the spell that made it look like the X-Men died just before the Australia arc?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Didn't he also cast the spell that made it look like the X-Men died just before the Australia arc?

Kind of? I'm probably gonna butcher the details on this but if I remember right, he did do the spell to sacrifice them to save the world from The Adversary and then Roma stepped in and reincarnated them and made them invisible to electronic devices.

My brother started buying the books just after this, so I have a very soft spot for the Ausie stuff.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
drat I was hoping Bobby and Sam were both gonna be on the team. I'm leaning toward Sunspot because if he doesn't have his best pal at his side, he seems the type to trap someone else into being his best pal in the meantime. Or Boom-Boom, cause she's an agent of chaos.

What I really want to see is Sunspot and Boom-Boom throwing back a few drinks and seeing where the night takes them. Not like that, but, you know, hijinks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

danbanana posted:

Kind of? I'm probably gonna butcher the details on this but if I remember right, he did do the spell to sacrifice them to save the world from The Adversary and then Roma stepped in and reincarnated them and made them invisible to electronic devices.

My brother started buying the books just after this, so I have a very soft spot for the Ausie stuff.

he did the spell to sacrifice them and thought it succeeded. he ended up being one of the later x-men characters to find out they survived.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Sunspot is one of my favorite characters, but I liked where he ended up, crashing on Sam's couch and flirting with Deathbird. Polaris has X-Factor and Armor has New Mutants.

I like Boom Boom, Forge and Strong Guy, but I might vote for Marrow, it's been a while since she has done something interesting and I would love to see her have some sort of role in this era.

Still, can't help but think on the time Marvel did something similar for a new Thunderbolts member during Parker's run, Shocker won and he lasted a couple of arcs before he was written out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/ororoswind/status/1354163155325366279?s=21

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I've completely changed my mind. I'm voting for Tempo. Hope her fellow Mutant Liberation Force teammate Forearm eventually shows up too.

New Mutants #98

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fritzler posted:

I've completely changed my mind. I'm voting for Tempo. Hope her fellow Mutant Liberation Force teammate Forearm eventually shows up too.

New Mutants #98

There were jokes about MLF in the current New Mutants book, I think? They have their own section of Krakoa.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This week's X-Men really does not benefit from having Brett Booth on pencils. Inexplicable. New Mutants was a delight though, and Vita Ayala seems to have introduced a new (albeit so far minor) non-binary mutant, which is cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so strong guy was dead and only came back via krakoa, right? this week's new mutants reminded me that his body only looks that way because of how his powers first manifested. so, what's up with him still looking the same as always?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Other than the art, one thing I rather liked about this week's NM was Rahne's depiction. Krakoa era has basically portrayed her as the baby girl on the team again. This week though it goes over both her past relationship with Elixir (from nearly two decades ago, jesus) and her (much maligned) son from the late X-Factor era. I am one of those people who geeks out when continuity is being used right to tell new stories.

Also, lots of new little plots going in just one issue. I'm actually worried that Scout has barely no support with Laura gone and with all the crazy X-Men bullshit wasn't surprised she's not having an easy time figuring out what's real and what's not (i.e. people she met in Nate Grey's pocket dimension thingy).

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Saoshyant posted:

Other than the art, one thing I rather liked about this week's NM was Rahne's depiction. Krakoa era has basically portrayed her as the baby girl on the team again. This week though it goes over both her past relationship with Elixir (from nearly two decades ago, jesus) and her (much maligned) son from the late X-Factor era. I am one of those people who geeks out when continuity is being used right to tell new stories.

With the way she'd been depicted, I was kind of thinking they might have deleted the crappy son and her death and stuff. I would have been super happy to have the Rahne back from right before the Elixir mess.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so strong guy was dead and only came back via krakoa, right? this week's new mutants reminded me that his body only looks that way because of how his powers first manifested. so, what's up with him still looking the same as always?

I choose to think it works like the Matrix. You look the way you look because that's how you looked and unless you specifically ask to come back different you're going to come back the way you and everyone else saw you/rself. It's the same reason Logan and Laura's hair always grows back to a certain length after being incinerated or whatever. Subconscious something or other blah blah a wizard the X-Gene did it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I mean, in this case, there's a literal reality distorter at work here in the form of Proteus.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Saoshyant posted:

Wow. I'd forgotten Rahne was once super horny for her student. (Elixir more than reciprocated, mind you.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

This week's X-Men really does not benefit from having Brett Booth on pencils. Inexplicable. New Mutants was a delight though, and Vita Ayala seems to have introduced a new (albeit so far minor) non-binary mutant, which is cool.

I liked X-Men because it was completely 90's art as hell, along with Jean and Scott in their X-Factor uniforms.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, it was very Whilce Portacio's X-Factor. Nice callback between the art and the costumes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Reminder that Brett Booth is a garbage person:

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/01/26/why-comicsxf-is-not-covering-brett-booths-comics/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, oh... So much for caring about this guy's work.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

well now I don't feel bad for thinking his art looks like trash.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are they finally going to address the Big Space Collapse that arguably started with Annihilation: Conquest with the Phalanx take over and stuff? And why is it still a thing when Franklin remade reality?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
the gorgeous art definitely helps sell it but Gabby's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is my favorite comics this week.

e: okay it's tied with Conan the Barbarian doing the popclaws pose and saying "SNIKT!" but New Mutants was very sweet

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 28, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure if the Chainsaw Hands/Five Dicks paradigm has been addressed more recently in X-Line, but it was definitely interesting to see badass space valkyrie Dani Moonstar try and give a pep talk about how there's nothing wrong with the mutant powers of the girl who accidentally killed her family and warped herself into looking like a grade schooler's drawing of a monster

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a standard pep talk for young mutants and dani put absolutely no thought into it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehh, the Crucible is specifically for mutants who lost their powers on M-Day, not mutants that have a physical deformity they don't like, Dani spends a huge chunk of her time hanging out with one of her closest friends that is missing a leg. Cosmar isn't eligible for it and Dani is trying to get her to realize that while also trying to keep her from committing suicide and having to wait in line behind all of Genosha.

Also a poo poo ton of mutant's physical appearance radically changes when they first manifest their powers, if Cosmar was resurrected I'd put odds on either her looking identical the first time, or looking even weirder.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The swerve with Amahl is that he's going to spend almost the entire story arc hanging around seeming to be the villain and in the end he has a heart to heart with Karma about the things the Shadow King did to them both and they end up finding a way to help Cosmar together.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gologle posted:

Are they finally going to address the Big Space Collapse that arguably started with Annihilation: Conquest with the Phalanx take over and stuff? And why is it still a thing when Franklin remade reality?
The most recent crisis to cause a Big Space Collapse is the one-two punch of Empyre and then Knull blowing up planets immediately after the reconstruction started after Empyre. Al Ewing did an entire table-setting issue set at a diplomatic conference a few months ago, and it's likely coordinated with all of the X-Book stuff given that Ewing is also writing the Space book for the X Office (SWORD).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Strong Guy was back from hell pre-Krakoa, though I'm not sure there was any explanation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

rantmo posted:

Strong Guy was back from hell pre-Krakoa, though I'm not sure there was any explanation.

He got overthrown and then Magik pulled some strings and got his soul back. Then Rosenberg had him arrested by O.N.E., infected him with the transmode virus then he died shielding the rest of the Xmen from an explosion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's nice to have Magik's actual personality back. I missed her as the snarky, aggressive big sister for the New Mutants.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I need y'all with actual social media to tell Polaris fans to stop voting for Polaris in this poll and read X-Factor instead, cause she's gonna be out of that book if she becomes an X-Man and Hickman is clearly not planning anything specific to whoever gets this slot yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

I need y'all with actual social media to tell Polaris fans to stop voting for Polaris in this poll and read X-Factor instead, cause she's gonna be out of that book if she becomes an X-Man and Hickman is clearly not planning anything specific to whoever gets this slot yet.

Right, characters are only allowed to be in one book at a time. This is definitely how comics work.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

someone should have told Al Ewing before he put Cable in S.W.O.R.D., now they're gonna have to cancel his solo book!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Don't even get me started on the 3 Wolverines theory!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Semi off topic but is it just me or is there no way to actually vote if you're using Chrome? I was totally confused by their website until I opened it in lovely ol' Internet Explorer and all of a sudden there was the poll at the top of the page. Or UBlock Origin decided it was an advertisement or something. So I don't actually have a problem because I voted, just wondering if anyone else gets the same thing or letting anyone with the same confusion know there actually IS a poll but maybe ad-blockers block it.

Anyway vote Roberto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Right, characters are only allowed to be in one book at a time. This is definitely how comics work.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1354408978248298496

Might not want to snark when you're uninformed about something.