Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gamestop is on deaths door because they hard pivoted to trying to become some social center for gamers literally right before the pandemic hit

acksplode posted:

Physical game retail has been in decline for years. That's why we're not talking about EBGames, Babbages, etc -- there has been little opportunity for growth to drive profits, only consolidation and cost-cutting, and that's how Gamestop came to be practically the only game reseller in North America. Gamestop going out of business won't reverse that trend. Mom and pop game resellers aren't going to appear because the only way to make money in that business is as a national chain with massive volume. If Gamestop's only problem was customer dissatisfaction, their competition would already be here trying to force Gamestop out of business, not waiting for it to collapse. This is going to be like Blockbuster going out of business. It didn't create space for local video stores, it helped cement a permanent change in how people buy and rent movies. The people who are used to saving money by selling games back to Gamestop will either get comfortable with ebay or start paying attention to digital sales.

i mean, there's a reason that best buy is totally killing GCU and amazon isn't doing the price match on preorders anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

gamestop is on deaths door because they hard pivoted to trying to become some social center for gamers literally right before the pandemic hit

They were already on death's door, the social hub idea was their desperate grab at making their retail footprint an asset rather than a liability. And then that colliding with covid was just a hilarious coup-de-grace.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think I've ever even heard of that before, so it's definitely not big in all parts of Europe, or at least certainly not in Germany.

Why did the italics in this post make me laugh so much

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Ebay is a massive hassle compared to walking into a store for 5 minutes though. Not everyone wants to deal with it when pawning their old crap.

Selling poo poo on Facebook marketplace is basically effortless, there’s no overhead. it’s very very very easy to do, I’ve made a couple of grand just selling poo poo I didn’t need anymore on Facebook marketplace. If you check your local Facebook marketplace you can buy or sell literally anything, it’s a completely deregulated digital bazaar

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oh yup, I don't use Facebook so I forgot that was a thing but people fuckin love Marketplace. This big company going kaput is going to create a modest traffic bump for a tech company in California, same story as ever.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

All this talk about gamestop got me thinking. Physical media and game trades are still a pretty big thing. Gamestop is the last place around that you can actually just walk in and trade a game in/buy used games without selling online in some capacity. I wonder if they go under if it would just make selling games more difficult, ir if it would mark a possible return for independent second hand game shops.

I think pretty much everyone knows how to use Ebay and Facebook marketplace now, and using those doesn't rob you blind

E: beaten like gamestop's stock

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

veni veni veni posted:

I picked it up and can confirm it runs beautifly on PS5.

Goddamn this game is hard as gently caress though.

yeah its really hard. Its taking awhile to get my mind wrapped around the controls but its so fast... Im glad the respawn takes milliseconds

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I wonder how much of gamestop's business is in stolen consoles and games? If you're stealing consoles you're probably wanting cash ASAP and let's face it nobody ever writes down their serial number. Since Gamestop immediately formats the system at trade in, proving it was yours is basically impossible

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone should scratch "13 SENTINELS RULZ" into their PS4 cover in case someone nicks it :j:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Simone Magus posted:

I wonder how much of gamestop's business is in stolen consoles and games? If you're stealing consoles you're probably wanting cash ASAP and let's face it nobody ever writes down their serial number. Since Gamestop immediately formats the system at trade in, proving it was yours is basically impossible

I guess what I'm saying is that everyone should scratch "13 SENTINELS RULZ" into their PS4 cover in case someone nicks it :j:

where i live at least gamestop has to follow pawn shop laws, and thats probably true in a lot of places, so the answer is much less than you might think most likely.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
As a gamestop employee, I can say we get regular visits from military police every other week coming to pick up a stolen unit because either someone got their stuff jacked or some disgruntled wife rounded up all their spouses stuff while they were away to try to sell it all and run. Its pretty fascinating to see it happen over and over again as they think they won't get caught since we are not on their base. Its pretty easy to prove who it belongs to since we let it sit for two weeks before doing any formating.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I worked for Gamestop and GameCrazy, it was always easy to tell when someone was trading in stolen games from Wal Mart because they'd bring in stacks of pristine discs and brand new controllers to trade for cash.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For years it looked like Best Buy was on death's door too but I guess they finally turned around to providing their own decent online ordering service.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ryoga posted:

we let it sit for two weeks before doing any formating.

Is that new? I know someone that sold theirs and they literally formatted it before they paid her

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
We have been doing it that way for the last 5 years. It might be different depending by region though. We do stuff a lot different here than most the company.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bows1 posted:

yeah its really hard. Its taking awhile to get my mind wrapped around the controls but its so fast... Im glad the respawn takes milliseconds

I played it for like 4 hours yesterday and the biggest thing has been learning to use the dodge like second nature, which comes naturally for me in third person games but not as much in first person games. it's just kind of crazy to wrangle everything, because most hotline miami/super meat boy style games are 2d and very simple to control while this is an FPS that demands nearly the same level of precision.

I got decently ok at it by the end of the night, but hit a brick wall on this one checkpoint that is just stupid hard. Gonna try again in a bit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Simone Magus posted:

Is that new? I know someone that sold theirs and they literally formatted it before they paid her

It varies depending on what municipality you're in because in some places GameStop is considered a pawn shop at a city or higher level which will change what needs to be done with traded in stuff at what time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

For years it looked like Best Buy was on death's door too but I guess they finally turned around to providing their own decent online ordering service.

Yeah, I rather like Best Buy, all things considered. For years though I just considered them another Circuit City and assumed they would fold.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thank you, my duder

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

It varies depending on what municipality you're in because in some places GameStop is considered a pawn shop at a city or higher level which will change what needs to be done with traded in stuff at what time.

Oh, I forgot America has 50 different sets of rules for certain things even when it seems silly to not have one rule for everywhere lol

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
more than that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

Oh, I forgot America has 50 different sets of rules for certain things even when it seems silly to not have one rule for everywhere lol

50? Lmao. Pawn laws are done on a county basis. Some places force the employees to fingerprint for every trade.

Filling out those pawn slips was a pain in the rear end. It was nice whenever I had to fill in at a store that was on reservation land because that store didn't need to do any pawn poo poo at all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Local control over as many government things as possible is kind of a founding idea of America, yeah.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
And not one of its smarter ones either, really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghost runner not saving any progress in between levels is just flat out disrespectful to the players time and progress. And it’s not even clear where a level begins or ends so it’s like rolling dice how much I’m going to have to replay the next time I boot it up. And the answer so far has usually been a LOT.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

And not one of its smarter ones either, really.

Yeah like it makes some sense when it comes to some laws but others it just makes no sense at all

Like the extremely weird alcohol laws. Bars close at 3 some places and midnight others, some places you can't buy liquor on Sunday (but you can buy beer ((but only after noon, presumably to incentivize church attendance)))

It's weird as heck!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Ghost runner not saving any progress in between levels is just flat out disrespectful to the players time and progress. And it’s not even clear where a level begins or ends so it’s like rolling dice how much I’m going to have to replay the next time I boot it up. And the answer so far has usually been a LOT.

I once hit a bug where a grapple point didn't activate so I couldn't advance to the next encounter, had to restart the level since I couldn't quit out and reload the checkpoint. Half an hour later I found that I was only 2 encounters away from finishing the level. At least replaying encounters isn't boring I guess

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah areas you’ve beat go a lot faster but it’s far from effortless so I’ve usually had to replay like 20 minutes (probably 5 for someone who is better)

I got stuck on this part in the factory for like 150 tries last night and quit and oh hey it was the end. At least I got it in about a dozen tries with some fresh reflexes :feelsgood:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

I bought a TV online from Best Buy on "Cyber Monday" and it was smooth sailing all the way

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I recently bought a tv through our countries equivalent of Best Buy, got a Union discount, and it arrived within two days. It felt illegal. Because of the June-Nov lockdown last year I don’t feel like a real person unless I have something coming in the mail.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Anyone else get a weird existential feeling sometimes from scrolling through all the games you either got from PS+ or on an insanely deep sale and then never played for more than a couple hours if you installed them at all?

Long story short I am gonna redownload 2064: ROM and the Uncharted Collection and give them both a fair chance this time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No, because I buy games new and play them to completion.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

exquisite tea posted:

Real sicko poo poo imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

No, because I buy games new

The ONLY two games I've bought new full price in the last six years:

Fallout 4
Cyberpunk 77

:getin:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Of the probably 1000+ PS plus games I have, I've probably played like 40 of them total for more than a few minutes(barring the many I already owned) but I got no regrets. Either I'm interested in it or I'm not. There's a decent handful I'd like to play at some point, but they are all pretty low priority. I just buy games at release when I want to play them, so usually a game has to launch on PS plus for me to be interested, but there are some stragglers like Shadow of The Tomb Raider that I did actually want to play, but not enough to buy it. Those ones are nice but rare.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I 99% sub to PS plus cause I play online games all the time. The games are just a bonus that make it feel like less of a ripoff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

And the outliers I just feel guilty about all the time.

Except for Dying light and Code Vein. I just don't care that I never finished them. Those are just genres I'm not interested in as it turns out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyone else get a weird existential feeling sometimes from scrolling through all the games you either got from PS+ or on an insanely deep sale and then never played for more than a couple hours if you installed them at all?

Long story short I am gonna redownload 2064: ROM and the Uncharted Collection and give them both a fair chance this time

No because it's only money who cares

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I honestly wish they'd release worse, or cheaper games on PS Plus because if a game is good I tend to just buy it if I wanna play it. But I'd definitely take more average games that I ignored.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wolfsheim posted:

Sometimes, but there is usually more time in your life to get to it eventually. Or just post in one of those "I'll finish my game backlog this year or banme" topics that show up around this time.

Speaking of backlog, after trying off again an on again for about a year, I finally got the Platinum for Parappa the Rapper. Getting a cool rating on Cheap Cheap chicken was so drat hard because the game is a broken mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've heard people say that playing parappa on a modern tv fucks with the timings

Obviously a massive problem when trying to land those punch punch block/check and turn the signal to the left combos