Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shake is what's left at the bottom of a bag, jar, whatever, little bud nuggets.

Trim is leafy excess and occasionally tiny bits of bud that came off while the bud was being processed. It may be called trim shake, but often is tried to be passed off as proper shake.

Some places call trim "cooking shake" but it's still just trim.

Around this time last year I was smoking shake pretty consistently, but it was $40/oz and I was fine with smoking a little more since it cost so much less. Fair trade off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i believe it's hard to find >91% isopropyl alcohol for the same reason it's hard to find >91% ethanol. that's about as far as you can distill it. for some reason it doesn't work past that point, and you have to use more complicated and expensive purification methods

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Belle Chemical sells quarts of non-methanol medical grade 99.9% iso for $13 on amazon.

What's a pint of 91% run at Walgreens? $9 or so?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It's hydrophilic enough that it absorbs a bit of water out of the air, I think. You have to keep it below freezing to get higher.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Belle Chemical sells quarts of non-methanol medical grade 99.9% iso for $13 on amazon.

I bought a 2 pack of quarts on Walmart.com like 2 weeks ago and had it delivered next day for like less than $10. I won't be smoking out of dirty rear end pieces for some time to come.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Play posted:

my joint rolling technique is more about raw, unbridled speed than beauty or accuracy. I used to enjoy taking a big bag of shake to some festival then I'd roll up joints for whoever wanted one. I can do one in about 7 seconds, sometimes less

this is the beauty of hand rolling once you understand the technique (which just takes practice) you can use it however you want. roll a perfect joint or roll a quick one thats just good enough.

since i dont really enjoy edibles this is how i use any shake that comes my way too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Shake is what's left at the bottom of a bag, jar, whatever, little bud nuggets.

Trim is leafy excess and occasionally tiny bits of bud that came off while the bud was being processed. It may be called trim shake, but often is tried to be passed off as proper shake.

yea sketchy dealers have always used these terms interchangeably and now there are actual Weed Brands and Dispensaries selling trim and calling it shake

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I've bought trim sold to me as shake. It was cheaper than actual shake though.

I've seen a former employer take all the weed they couldn't sell by test date expiration break it down to sell as generic shake, indica, sativa or hybrid. They weren't up to speed on concentrates at the time, probably still aren't, they grow boomer spec weed. It was weird, because they'd sell their trim to an edible company, but sell their borderline test expired bud broke down for $1-2/g.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I like shake because it's cheap. It's tough to smell weed at a store right now, but any place worth their salt will let you at least look at it. Buy weed that looks good and smells good, you won't go wrong. Don't ignore the marked THC level on there, but kind of ignore the marked THC level on there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

these days i usually buy half ounces of these outdoor grown tiny little buds that my delivery company sells for pretty cheap because im poor and lazy. its not shake but its also not really nice enough to sell for full price

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Earwicker posted:

these days i usually buy half ounces of these outdoor grown tiny little buds that my delivery company sells for pretty cheap because im poor and lazy. its not shake but its also not really nice enough to sell for full price

Same but it's from a big indoor op. They have boutique 1/8s but they package them in awful plastic bottles so the "cheap" bags they use for the "bad" weed ends up almost curing the weed better

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Hah ok maybe it's a regional thing, I've always heard that called bottom bag and shake is basically all leaf.

Or my friends/hookups were idiots, I'd believe either :shrug:

No you're mostly right, that used to be my definition for shake back in the day but since then it's evolved I guess since no one really smokes leafy crap anymore. You can't really sell tiny weed particles easily even if really they are just as good as the nugs, if maybe a little more dry.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
so whats the deal with flower that you get where the outsides of the nugs have been thoroughly stripped of kief but once you break them up reveals plenty of crystals? i assume someone in the supply chain somewhere is getting it off somehow and using it to make other products so the why seems obvious...but how do they do it? i think someone mentioned a vacuum. other than the looks do you think it's enough kief removed to actually have a large effect on the end result of smoking it?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

thathonkey posted:

so whats the deal with flower that you get where the outsides of the nugs have been thoroughly stripped of kief but once you break them up reveals plenty of crystals? i assume someone in the supply chain somewhere is getting it off somehow and using it to make other products so the why seems obvious...but how do they do it? i think someone mentioned a vacuum. other than the looks do you think it's enough kief removed to actually have a large effect on the end result of smoking it?

I've never actually seen that, that is really shady. Producers are supposed to make hash and nugs from separate but similar runs, or with different parts of the plant or nugs that dont meet standards, not strip their selling weed of kief to be able to sell another kief product. That's weird.

Sometimes the crystals are really delicate and can fall off easily and collect at the bottom? Is it possible that's what was happening?

They could easily do it by rolling the nugs over a screen for a period of time, no vacuum needed. As for the effect, I mean it's equal to the effect that the missing kief would have. Probably hardly noticeable but you're definitely missing out on THC

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are you sure its been "stripped" and its not just some older weed thats been trucked around from one location to another and moved in and out of various storage containers to the point where the kief rubbed off? once weed dries out to a certain point the crystal just falls right off if its moved or jostled

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thats possible, and this is of course black market, but its a somewhat recent phenomenon (past decade roughly) that coincided with the rise of concentrates and edibles in the market place. its also so common, so thorough (not like some nugs have it some dont) and from multiple people over multiple years that i assumed it must be some kind of supply chain practice.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

caleb posted:

Buy a pollen press. Turn it until you can't. Wait a little bit. Do it again. Repeat. After a few rounds of that you should get an extremely dense disc that you can break into chunks that won't pull through.

If you've got any kind of vice or vice grips around, any kind of tool you can use to squish things really tight, you can press kief just by wrapping it up in a folded piece of parchment paper and squeezing. It'll come out really flat the first time but if you fold it up and press it again a couple of times, like you're trying to forge a hash katana, you'll end up with a nice little rock eventually. Though grinder kief is notoriously full of just regular leaf poo poo in tiny pieces and might not press properly unless you sift it again.

some people will tell you to do this under your heel in your shoe but that's gross

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
A lot of hand trimmers now are mowing poo poo as smooth as possible, so the bulk of some highly manicured bud might not look as crystally as you'd hope. All that goes into trim and is used for concentrates.

Also scissor hash that the trimmers make off with.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

don't mechanical trimmers get that kind of effect tho?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, they can if you're using the wrong tumbler, wet tumbler slots are wider than dry tumbler.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

forge a hash katana
Alright, got it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they're probably intentionally tumbled. i always like to inspect my weed for this because it's really common and the weed that looks better usually is. :shrug:

https://thekiefthief.com/kief-tumbler-ditch-your-kief-box/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're going to machine tumble trim weed, do it wet, you'll lose less kief.

Or better yet, just do it by hand and leave those drat tumblers on their manufacturers' shelves.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

uhhh... is wax super cheap because they are extracting thc from trimmings and things they couldn't sell as flower using solvents that can extract the THC?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes.

It's that or they sell their trim for extraction by a third party for concentrates or edibles.

It's also why you get concentrates with even stranger names than the strains. I bought some Hulk Smash a week or so ago that's made from Bruce Banner trim and trim from a mint heavy strain called Mint Smash.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 28, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i like concentrates and buds are we still friends?

that makes sense thank you
[edit] it explains why a gram of wax from a state where it is legal is dirt cheap

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 28, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I tried Gorilla Grips for the first time last night. It's an indica dominant, and very very very nice. I don't often fall asleep in my chair, but it was very hard not to with this strain. lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

i like concentrates and buds are we still friends?

that makes sense thank you
[edit] it explains why a gram of wax from a state where it is legal is dirt cheap

Hell yeah, weed is weed is weed is weed is weed

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I bought this exact quart bottle and while I'm not convinced it's actually 99.9% purity, mostly due to a very low-quality printed label that makes me feel like it's almost like a counterfeit product, it's still definitely iso and works for my needs.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Costco sells two packs of 71% iso for like, $1.50 or something like that. I usually just pick two up every other trip or so since a lot of stores are out of 90% atm

Gonna get fuckin' blasted on SPACE CREAM after work today, praise be

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yeah really all you need is something that has any amount of THC in it and you can make bho. all the trimmings and low quality stuff goes to that, and it's great honestly. oil is the poor man's thc fix

that kief thief thing is fucken scandalous though. gently caress that thing

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm currently on day 293 of an unbroken chain of waking and vaping til bedtime.

I can't see any obstacles to me reaching 300 :)

e: one of the things stopping me from going for a legal prescription is that I'd be paying more for lower quality meds.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 29, 2021

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I got an Oz of popcorn from the dispensary and it's full of stems but at 30% THCA so I'm not complaining :shobon:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shake 4 lyfe

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been vaping and watching some Iron Chef and man this show is loving good. I'm just now realizing that a lot of the charm of this show is how good the english VO's are. I almost did a spit take at the voice of the narrator guy in the intro, lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you can tolerate the variety of british accents, Taskmaster is great and full episodes are on youtube for the US.

Don't watch what you can find of the american attempt at it, it's absolutely painful to watch, except Ron Funches. Ron is always fun to watch.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Target Track Jacket posted:

I got an Oz of popcorn from the dispensary and it's full of stems but at 30% THCA so I'm not complaining :shobon:

just curious what kind of discount is that compared to the regular nugs flower? this is prob what id do if i could, popcorn is more than fine

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

thathonkey posted:

just curious what kind of discount is that compared to the regular nugs flower? this is prob what id do if i could, popcorn is more than fine

Big, like 30-50% sometimes, sometimes a little less. Check out a few different places prices, maybe go in and just buy a joint or whatever if they don't have them posted anywhere. I usually get ~1/2 oz of shake for what a quarter of the regular weed costs, and the more you buy the cheaper it is.

e shake also tends to be a little more dry, which I like because I can crumble it up without a grinder

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Moving into my new apartment out of my parents house bumping The Sims 1 music yeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNizVO8WBYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1356340421652312066?s=20

Oh Yeah