Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
would kick in 5$/month to a patreon for the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

thx J.POS, I would deffo kick in $5-10/month to keep shitposting here

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'd pay to a Patreon or equivalent, and would happily see you get paid something for all of your work too.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
no comment on anything except this:

if you are willing to even entertain paying six bucks for a jacques torres cookie, try googling the recipe. they are no harder to make than toll house. 20 minutes work maximum.

i suggest 2.5x-3x vanilla.

feel free to contact me if you wish to pay me 70 dollars, hell even $5, for this information

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
I only recently regged, but I've read these forums for almost a decade without an account because I was too lazy to get a credit card. I'm so glad my money was sent to someone who'll actually do poo poo besides shovel cookies into his face while punching women in his McMansion. I'm happy to support you and this site Jeffrey, as long as it doesn't turn out you're secretly racist or you eat babies or something.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
i’m not a lawyer what does it mean that you bought SA’s assets but you don’t actually own Something Awful LLC.

what does that mean exactly?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grump posted:

i’m not a lawyer what does it mean that you bought SA’s assets but you don’t actually own Something Awful LLC.

He bought the individual bits and pieces from Something Awful LLC, like the forums and the domain name and such, without buying the company itself or its associated debts.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I know it's heresy to many but there's cool people I know that I wanna introduce to the site but the $10 imposition is still a pretty large barrier when this isn't the happening 2002 site this was. Forum standards have also improved overall but I dunno if it has the same 'keep out the riff raff' appeal it once has. We make fun of reddit but the concept of "your post should be intelligible to other humans" has spread there and there's not as big a difference as there once was.

While keeping regular $10 payments to register and to unban yourself, I wonder if it might make sense to have regular periods of limited, free registrations. That drums up interest while keeping the influx of potential assholes low enough to boot out if need be.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

The Kins posted:

He bought the individual bits and pieces from Something Awful LLC, like the forums and the domain name and such, without buying the company itself or its associated debts.

so does he have to register a new company to pay other people / himself a salary?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

bewilderment posted:

While keeping regular $10 payments to register and to unban yourself, I wonder if it might make sense to have regular periods of limited, free registrations. That drums up interest while keeping the influx of potential assholes low enough to boot out if need be.

Free account registration is what makes reddit/twitter/other forums a cesspit. Maybe there could be an account sponsorship option where someone can sign up a friend but if they get banned/probed you get banned for letting an rear end in a top hat in for free.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bewilderment posted:

I know it's heresy to many but there's cool people I know that I wanna introduce to the site but the $10 imposition is still a pretty large barrier when this isn't the happening 2002 site this was. Forum standards have also improved overall but I dunno if it has the same 'keep out the riff raff' appeal it once has. We make fun of reddit but the concept of "your post should be intelligible to other humans" has spread there and there's not as big a difference as there once was.

Yes, let's let every dickhead under the sun register a thousand free parachute accounts each. That'll make the forums better!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

bewilderment posted:

I know it's heresy to many but there's cool people I know that I wanna introduce to the site but the $10 imposition is still a pretty large barrier when this isn't the happening 2002 site this was.

Buy an account for the friends you want to post here. Its how that sort of introduction been done even way back in 2002.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

I regged here almost 20 years ago for $10. I would happily pay $5 or $10/m via Patreon to see the forums continue to exist and grow.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If I managed to cough up a few bucks for the SPINELESS FUEHRER, I can cough up the same bucks for the patreon.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

Free reg is an invite to bots and nonsense. a pay gate may be anathema by modern standards but holy poo poo does it stop a flood of otherwise un-stoppable bull poo poo. Look at how much this place already gets -- at least if you want to insult or troll or randomly toxify things, you need to pony up a bit.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Grump posted:

Jeffrey bought Something Awful but left Lowtax with all his debt, essentially.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bewilderment posted:

A $10 paywall is extremely reasonable compared to the headaches and costs incurred by not having a paywall.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Do we still have access to that strip mall head quarters in the middle of Wisconsin or where ever? Because i was planning my retirement around that couch

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

8one6 posted:

Maybe there could be an account sponsorship option where someone can sign up a friend but if they get banned/probed you get banned for letting an rear end in a top hat in for free.

I like this idea, but if someone wants to go through all that trouble, they might as well just pay the $10 and buy their friend the account in the first place.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bewilderment posted:

One of Lowtax's few good ideas was to occasionally make most forums accessible for unregistered users for a week or two at a time. Jeffrey could start doing that again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
What about running a $4.99 registration promotion for a.week or two once a year?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What about running a $4.99 registration promotion for a.week or two once a year?

That just encourages the insane seraph84 types to wait for the sale to make a hoard of alts. If $10 is too expensive for someone considering buying an account, why would $5 be any different?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Nth on the would contribute to the Patreon train.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Frankly if the forums had kept pace with inflation then a new reg should cost $14.39. Really Jeff is doing you a favor keeping the site funded mostly through cosmetic DLC.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

hes the guy from salute your shorts

You heard it here first: Jeffery is ugh lee

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
DC and PR should be states before the State of the Forums is able to exist.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How much of the revenue came from Seraph reregs? Wanna say $300/mo from the daily permas.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
thank u jeff

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

bradzilla posted:

One of Lowtax's few good ideas was to occasionally make most forums accessible for unregistered users for a week or two at a time. Jeffrey could start doing that again.

I can absolutely say that this made me buy an account. I was having a great time reading a thread, and when it got re-paywalled I ponied up no problem.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I can absolutely say that this made me buy an account. I was having a great time reading a thread, and when it got re-paywalled I ponied up no problem.

Here we have a post that makes a good case for never lifting the paywall.

Haha owned.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
I think it would be dumb not to have a Patreon option at this point.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

If Jeffrey bought the assets and domain but not the debts what is the site Incorporated under, now?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

8one6 posted:

Frankly if the forums had kept pace with inflation then a new reg should cost $14.39. Really Jeff is doing you a favor keeping the site funded mostly through cosmetic DLC.

Wait a minute I spent the equivalent of $13.70 in slim svelte 2004 money and all these kids get to spend $10 in 2021 fat gently caress money??? This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bewilderment posted:

You could introduce them and let them lurk for a while without registering to see if they like it and figure it might be worth $10 to them and maybe some sort of 'my mate wants to register but can't afford $10 can someone sponsor them' type deal.
I lurked for several weeks before deciding it was a good place to hangout. Also prompted by the sudden inability to see a great thread I was following.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 28, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewilderment posted:

We make fun of reddit but the concept of "your post should be intelligible to other humans" has spread there and there's not as big a difference as there once was.

Have you ever sorted those comments by "new" or "controversial"? The voting and subreddit aspects keep the lovely posts invisible to you. There's a poo poo load of garbage on reddit.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I think I have a solution that will make everyone happy.

Send me the tenbux

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Have you ever sorted those comments by "new" or "controversial"? The voting and subreddit aspects keep the lovely posts invisible to you. There's a poo poo load of garbage on reddit.

Yeah, certain content, humour and styles of posting are more heavily up-voted than others. On one hand the lovely opinions and racism and poor grammar gets hidden, on the flip side all discussion then becomes centred around a small handful of standardised up-voted top level comments.

If you go though popular frequently and sort by "Top" you get a sense of how standardised the content and rhetoric can become. It's like every single thread effectively has the same kind of content. Pun chains, complaining about people only reading headlines, meta references to other popular posts and concern trolling... If you read enough popular Reddit posts one after the other I'm positive you can predict exactly what the most up-voted posts will say for any given post/headline with a high degree of accuracy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xachariah posted:

Yeah, certain content, humour and styles of posting are more heavily up-voted than others. On one hand the lovely opinions and racism and poor grammar gets hidden, on the flip side all discussion then becomes centred around a small handful of standardised up-voted top level comments.

If you go though popular frequently and sort by "Top" you get a sense of how standardised the content and rhetoric can become. It's like every single thread effectively has the same kind of content. Pun chains, complaining about people only reading headlines, meta references to other popular posts and concern trolling... If you read enough popular Reddit posts one after the other I'm positive you can predict exactly what the most up-voted posts will say for any given post/headline with a high degree of accuracy.

ah, so it's like pyf

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I saw this, thought "Rickroll!", and clicked it just to hear the song. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Add me to the I'd throw $5 to a patreon crew.