Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

There's such a thing as too many costumes.

Take it back. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

:gasps in Kitty Pryde:

:rolls eyes Janet Van Dynely:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

The first 50-odd issues had two plot threads - the smaller arcs that took up a few issues each and a very lengthy arc across the entire run about a new villain. I've generally thought that the smaller arcs were very good, but the resolution of the longer mystery villain arc happened recently and was a big letdown. The next issue (#58) was solicited as being a big turning point in Spencer's plan for the run, so I'm curious to see where they go, but if it doesn't pick back up, I'll probably drop it.

Did it though? Because while that one contained arc of their first confrontation ended, it very clearly didn't resolve the villain's overall arc and actually just sent it in another direction.

Rhyno posted:

:gasps in Kitty Pryde:

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 26, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like that the one thing Kitty is apparently not a master of is picking out a decent outfit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Her current costume is pretty baller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Her current costume is pretty baller.

Didn't Emma design it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Emma design it?

I thought she bought the coat off whoever gave her her first set of knuckle tats.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Emma design it?

A woman who knows fashion is 30% aesthetics, 20% price and 60% being confident you look hot as gently caress in it. Yes that's 110%, so what? :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm three months behind because I'm reading it on Unlimited, but what the gently caress Werewolf by Night? Did an editor just pull a 25 year old Werewolf the Apocolypse/marvel slash fic and decide to run with it?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm three months behind because I'm reading it on Unlimited, but what the gently caress Werewolf by Night? Did an editor just pull a 25 year old Werewolf the Apocolypse/marvel slash fic and decide to run with it?

Werewolf By Night, the Marvel comic, dates back to 1972

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I assume Macdeo Lurjtux is referring to the 2020-2021 series which I have literally never heard of until now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

There's such a thing as too many costumes.

But the more costumes he has, the more they can put in the new video game.

I want more costumes. More costumes of Spider-Man!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good loving lord, did Daredevil not need a King in Black tie-in.

Actually, I'm fairly sure nothing needs a King in Black tie-in, because it's possibly one of the dumbest crossover events Marvel has ever done and I don't even know what kind of reader is it aiming for but, really, Daredevil?

It was already weird when even Black Cat relaunched as a KiB tie-in, but I could imagine some so-called MBA going "oh, it's to help boost sales", and its creative team is making the best of it. But Daredevil? Here's a perfectly well reviewed, well selling noir book. Let's throw in some stupid alien goo that turns people into functional demon zombies. I'm sure it won't clash tonally with the setting and that its cast will surely find a way to solve this invading alien goo thing and not have us waste time reading how it turns out they can't fix the invading alien goo thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

How Wonderful! posted:

I assume Macdeo Lurjtux is referring to the 2020-2021 series which I have literally never heard of until now.

Yeah, there's only one issue on Unlimited so far but its about a Native American that gained the ability to turn into a werewolf when he hit puberty. He uses his new powers to fight a corporation intentionally poisoning the environment and their army of evil cyborg were creatures.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’ve been getting the Black Cat series in TPB format and Vol3 just came out yesterday, this series is still great.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, there's only one issue on Unlimited so far but its about a Native American that gained the ability to turn into a werewolf when he hit puberty. He uses his new powers to fight a corporation intentionally poisoning the environment and their army of evil cyborg were creatures.

I just read it. It’s written by Taboo, one of the members of the Black Eyed Peas.

Very strong Werewolf the Apocalypse vibe to it. I fully expect the were-creatures* at the end are just going to team up with him to fight the evil corporation.

*= They look like other players wanted to be Were-bears and were-Jaguars.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve been getting the Black Cat series in TPB format and Vol3 just came out yesterday, this series is still great.

It is! It's just such a fun series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there more out there waiting to be collected in trades? The vol3 trade mentions a new issue #1?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Issue...3?? just came out so it'll be a while for the next trade

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Is there more out there waiting to be collected in trades? The vol3 trade mentions a new issue #1?

it just relaunched, the first three issues are a king in Black tie-in (though I have no trouble reading it and I'm not reading King in Black) issue 2 came out last week, so it will be a little while for the next trade.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Black Cat #2 came out a week ago, and #5 just hit solicits, so it'll be a little while yet before the next trade comes out. #1-3 of the new series are the King in Black tie-in issues, then #4 picks up where #12 of the last series left off (it was originally supposed to be #13, but you know how it goes). I'm glad you're enjoying it!

e:fb, etc.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Dunbar posted:

The first 50-odd issues had two plot threads - the smaller arcs that took up a few issues each and a very lengthy arc across the entire run about a new villain. I've generally thought that the smaller arcs were very good, but the resolution of the longer mystery villain arc happened recently and was a big letdown. The next issue (#58) was solicited as being a big turning point in Spencer's plan for the run, so I'm curious to see where they go, but if it doesn't pick back up, I'll probably drop it.

Maybe I missed what the big deal was, but I think I'm done with ASM.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Black Cat #2 came out a week ago, and #5 just hit solicits, so it'll be a little while yet before the next trade comes out. #1-3 of the new series are the King in Black tie-in issues, then #4 picks up where #12 of the last series left off (it was originally supposed to be #13, but you know how it goes). I'm glad you're enjoying it!

e:fb, etc.

This stuff makes my brain hurt because i'm not sure there's any more benefit to this than putting the book on hiatus, letting you do a KIB tie mini-series and then picking back up at #13. Like, the supposed 'new reader' who came on with the new #1 is gonna be hella confused by the ongoing arc (I'm sure you and the crew are doing your best to bring everyone up to speed, obv, but still) and the ones who were already reading aren't gonna care whether it's #4 or #13.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Question IRL posted:

I just read it. It’s written by Taboo, one of the members of the Black Eyed Peas.

Very strong Werewolf the Apocalypse vibe to it. I fully expect the were-creatures* at the end are just going to team up with him to fight the evil corporation.

*= They look like other players wanted to be Were-bears and were-Jaguars.

"Look Bill, I know they put the supplement out and you want to get some value from it, but I don't think Player's Guide to Formori really adds anything to the story right now."

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Lucca Blight posted:

Maybe I missed what the big deal was, but I think I'm done with ASM.

Wasn’t there a new issue this week? Did anything...ya know...actually happen yet?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Saoshyant posted:

It was already weird when even Black Cat relaunched as a KiB tie-in, but I could imagine some so-called MBA going "oh, it's to help boost sales", and its creative team is making the best of it. But Daredevil? Here's a perfectly well reviewed, well selling noir book. Let's throw in some stupid alien goo that turns people into functional demon zombies. I'm sure it won't clash tonally with the setting and that its cast will surely find a way to solve this invading alien goo thing and not have us waste time reading how it turns out they can't fix the invading alien goo thing.
Daredevil has a relatively proud tradition of taking weird high profile superhero storylines (Inferno, Acts of Vengeance, Infinity War, War of the Realms) and integrating them into the themes of the ongoing run. I don't like King in Black/Knull and I was not looking forward to this tie-in, but based on the first issue of it, Zdarsky's kind of pulling the same thing as Ann Nocenti did to good effect with her Inferno/Acts of Vengeance tie-ins in using the big magic/cosmic poo poo to externalize and heighten the same themes that already existed in the run, namely Elektra struggling to understand Matt's view of humanity, Matt's faith, etc.

It might end up really sticking out like a sore thumb in hindsight, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the Nocenti DD Inferno tie in stuff was great because Inferno was just everyone else behaving like they were in a Nocenti book, but the Acts of Vengeance one rules because it's Daredevil, Gorgon, Karnak, and a genetically engineered 'perfect woman' fighting a robot having a personality breakdown, which is maybe the most Nocenti thing possible that doesn't involve a demon

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I also don't care for the KiB portions of DD, and am very confused why Zdarsky's run skipped the much better War of the Realms but not this mess. That said, he's doing a good job of using the event to continue the main themes of the comic, even if you could easily sub the Knull symbiots with any other kind of invasion (well, sans the inevitable venomization at the end). Also loved the social commentary early on about how Daredevil is still a white vigilante that the system is bending to accommodate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Daredevil has a relatively proud tradition of taking weird high profile superhero storylines (Inferno, Acts of Vengeance, Infinity War, War of the Realms) and integrating them into the themes of the ongoing run. I don't like King in Black/Knull and I was not looking forward to this tie-in, but based on the first issue of it, Zdarsky's kind of pulling the same thing as Ann Nocenti did to good effect with her Inferno/Acts of Vengeance tie-ins in using the big magic/cosmic poo poo to externalize and heighten the same themes that already existed in the run, namely Elektra struggling to understand Matt's view of humanity, Matt's faith, etc.

It might end up really sticking out like a sore thumb in hindsight, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

If you've got, say, Marvel Unlimited it's well worth the time seeking out some of the listed Daredevil stories. There's a great bit in Inferno where Matt out of costume and a bunch of people are trapped in the subway tunnels which have no power and thus no lights because of demon shenangians and essentially goes "I'm a blind man! Follow me!" Also I think somebody fights a demon-possessed vacuum at one point.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Dawgstar posted:

If you've got, say, Marvel Unlimited it's well worth the time seeking out some of the listed Daredevil stories. There's a great bit in Inferno where Matt out of costume and a bunch of people are trapped in the subway tunnels which have no power and thus no lights because of demon shenangians and essentially goes "I'm a blind man! Follow me!" Also I think somebody fights a demon-possessed vacuum at one point.

So many of those Inferno “tie-ins” were amazing because of how silly they made it. In Avengers, captain America and Jarvis (!) fought a car and a phone booth. Daredevil got strangled by appliances. Spider-Man fought a demon-possessed Daily Bugle alongside a baseball-bat-wielding JJJ and then teamed up with the Green Goblin to fight a factory.

The various writers seemed to say “look if I have to put this triangle on the cover I’m at least going to have fun with it” and it showed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

What are the odds the next Cates/Stegman project at Marvel is a new Deadpool series? After Venom I can't see them not doing something together.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Either Deadpool or ASM.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dragonshirt posted:

Either Deadpool or ASM.

I'd read a Cates ASM if he was told he wasn't allowed to use symbiotes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't read it because I don't care for Deadpool but it would be a shame if Kelly got kicked off her book for Donny loving Cates

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I don't read it because I don't care for Deadpool but it would be a shame if Kelly got kicked off her book for Donny loving Cates

I think it got cancelled because people weren't buying it. Donnie Cates is gonna be doing Venom poo poo for at least another 6 months, if they were gonna cancel it solely to put him on it they'd be keeping it around until then, like the terrible Rosenberg run on Uncanny X-Men.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh, shows how much I pay attention to dp that I didn't see it not show up in solicits for the last couple months

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

I think it got cancelled because people weren't buying it. Donnie Cates is gonna be doing Venom poo poo for at least another 6 months, if they were gonna cancel it solely to put him on it they'd be keeping it around until then, like the terrible Rosenberg run on Uncanny X-Men.
The last issue of King in Black comes out on March 24th, and Cates/Stegman's last issue of Venom comes out in April.

There's a big "Deadpool 30th Anniversary" one-shot in March with stories from most of the people who have previously had runs on Deadpool books (Liefeld, Nicieza, Simone, Duggan/Posehn, Skottie Young, Kelly Thompson, "and more" so I wouldn't be surprised that whoever is relaunching Deadpool is part of the "and more" of that one-shot.

Which isn't to say it's Cates taking it over, but the timeline works.

I do think that Marvel is kind of flailing for a new angle on Deadpool after the relative flops of the Young and Thompson runs -- they didn't sell that well, and I don't see a lot of "beloved low-selling title" buzz about them either. Thompson is still writing Captain Marvel and Black Widow (they're even putting out a "Black Widow by Kelly Thompson v1" trade next month, which seems to be something they mostly do for people they consider 'names') and a 'secret' project with Gurihiru coming out later this year, so it feels like she's doing fine even if her Deadpool run gets cut short.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does Joe Kelly who is arguably responsible for a lot of what we consider current Deadpool not do comics anymore?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

Does Joe Kelly who is arguably responsible for a lot of what we consider current Deadpool not do comics anymore?

I assume he does not need to as he has Ben 10 money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume he does not need to as he has Ben 10 money

Good catch. I forgot he was part of Man of Action.