Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love Colonel Parker. When I would revisit Nitro later on every time I saw him wave his hanky in frustration I thought of Bobby Hill's "I need a window seat because this flower is wiltin.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - major wrestling promotions could use a stable made up entirely of fops and dandies.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Dawgstar posted:

I love Colonel Parker. When I would revisit Nitro later on every time I saw him wave his hanky in frustration I thought of Bobby Hill's "I need a window seat because this flower is wiltin.'"

I totally forgot he went to wwf and debuted at Jeff jarretts manager the night after wm14. He was there for like 2 months.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - major wrestling promotions could use a stable made up entirely of fops and dandies.

Make them faces though. Polite fellows who enjoy a good bit of Kingsbury action!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like Colonel Parker gets a bad rap today because of the incredibly cringey Madusa feud (WHICH HE WON), but he was decent on the mic and, from what I understand, pretty good in the ring too. I think it's Foley's first book where he mentions that he was quite a nice guy too?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Good news for you all as he's currently in MLW managing the Stud Stable!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The American Dream posted:

I totally forgot he went to wwf and debuted at Jeff jarretts manager the night after wm14. He was there for like 2 months.

Tennessee Lee was like the 83rd thing they tried in order to get crowds to give a poo poo about Jeff Jarrett. I don’t recall a single time Jeff was even remotely interesting while in the WWF.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
They even stooped to having him beat women and that still didn't work!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

An Aztec Warrior suit, an NWA angle, a buzzcut, a well-endowed manager, well dressed redneck bodyguards, a roadie, a Milli Vanilli angle, a pony, light-up clothes, feuding over piss with X-Pac, tag teaming with Owen, getting mixed up with the Blue Blazer, beating up women, and on and on and on.

Did Jerry Jarrett save tapes from a burning car, too?

Edit: I just laughed myself into hiccups imagining a weekly ‘how do we get Jeff over’ that goes on for years. “What do we have this week?” “Okay, Vince, what if Jeff has a time machine?”

Red fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 28, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Red posted:

An Aztec Warrior suit, an NWA angle, a buzzcut, a well-endowed manager, well dressed redneck bodyguards, a roadie, a Milli Vanilli angle, a pony, light-up clothes, feuding over piss with X-Pac, tag teaming with Owen, getting mixed up with the Blue Blazer, beating up women, and on and on and on.

Until you mentioned it I seriously hadn't noticed Jarrett going through all of those things. That's just wild.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Until you mentioned it I seriously hadn't noticed Jarrett going through all of those things. That's just wild.

That’s just off the top of my head. He held the IC, Euro, tag, and NWA belts. They tried loving everything.

Reverend Joshua
Jul 1, 2007
My hypocrisy knows no bounds
Fallen Rib

Saucer Crab posted:

So I thought to myself how long did he linger around the bottom of WCW's card and then got to the Legal Issues section of his wiki, yikes.

Van Hammer was driving his Van, Hammered (it probably wasn't a van, but...)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wrath wasn't the best worker ever or anything but I feel kinda bad about how Nash jobbed him out before Starrcade 98. Just completely derailed the guy's momentum for nothing.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Remember a couple years ago when he had that swan song tag match with road dogg on raw. But they did it somewhere on the west coast?

Instead of, ya know, Tennessee. Where he would probably get a decent size reaction. Like what was the point of forcing it that week? They couldn’t wait a couple months for them to get back down south.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

Wrath wasn't the best worker ever or anything but I feel kinda bad about how Nash jobbed him out before Starrcade 98. Just completely derailed the guy's momentum for nothing.
In a company full of guys with the same basic profile, he really stood out. I think he could have been a lot more. Uh, and he just plead guilty to drug and weapon charges about a year ago, poor bastard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

drat, dude must have had a complete meltdown

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The American Dream posted:

Remember a couple years ago when he had that swan song tag match with road dogg on raw. But they did it somewhere on the west coast?

Instead of, ya know, Tennessee. Where he would probably get a decent size reaction. Like what was the point of forcing it that week? They couldn’t wait a couple months for them to get back down south.
Similar to when they resurrected WCW in...Tacoma, WA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Similar to when they resurrected WCW in...Tacoma, WA

WWF fans weren't going to care about WCW in any city and likewise no one in any city was going to care about Jeff Jarrett in TYOOL whatever TYOOL it was.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

My earliest wrestling memories are of 2000 WCW and ever since I have carried a burning hate for Jeff Jarrett in my heart. When he started showing up in my watch through in 96 I was very upset

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lotta slapnuts itt

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Red posted:

I seem to recall reading something about Jerry Jarrett being the one to take over if Vince's steroid trial didn't go well.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Has there ever been a count of how many nWo beat downs took place over the run of WCW? I'm curious to know at this point.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nick Jr. Face posted:

He did get quite a lot of crowd heat during his Chyna feud but that was just because crowds were really behind Chyna from mid-99 through to her story with Eddie

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’ve heard Jeff Jarrett was a great baby face early in his career but neither WWE or WCW ever pushed him as one.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm so attached to heel Double J tapping out kids in junior jujitsu classes that the idea of him being a face that actually appeals to people seems impossible to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like Colonel Parker gets a bad rap today because of the incredibly cringey Madusa feud (WHICH HE WON), but he was decent on the mic and, from what I understand, pretty good in the ring too. I think it's Foley's first book where he mentions that he was quite a nice guy too?

It's one of of those things where the folks who just saw Col. Parker never got to see Ron Fuller at the top of his game, which was in Continental and Memphis. You got hints of it even in his time in WCW, I think, as how many managers who are 6'9 and don't overwhelm their wrestlers who are like eight inches or more shorter? You're right, though, Ron is both a great talker and worker. He even has one of the better Feinstein interviews as Feinstein isn't a great interviewer already but the Stud just sort of takes over and it becomes your fun southern uncle telling crazy stories.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Red posted:

it gets even more mindboggling when you realize that most of that was in one year's time.

CRASH TEEVEE BRO I SWEAH TO GAWD

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’ve heard Jeff Jarrett was a great baby face early in his career but neither WWE or WCW ever pushed him as one.

He was? That must've been prior to the WWF.

As far as I recall, Jeff (as we know him, the strutting singer) debuted in late '93, and the first high profile thing he did (that I remember) was joining the group of heels who helped Yokozuna kill the Undertaker. He did a lot of back and forth in that time period between the WWF and USWA (I think). I get the impression he used his time in the south to develop his douchebag heel character, but in the south, he was a lot more aggressive - I'm fairly certain I remember seeing him use a chair to just loving destroy Gypsy Joe, which you wouldn't really have seen on WWF TV back then. The shame is that he couldn't do the aggressive heel stuff from the south, but he did bring along the stalling horseshit, which, if anything, gave him more of the X-Pac 'go the gently caress away' type heat, as opposed to genuine 'wow, this guy is bad and needs to get beat' heat. Stalling has its uses, but Jarrett did it to start every match, and in the middle of every match, and to slow down the end of the match; and even then, Jarrett usually ended his matches by cheating to win, or getting DQ'd by hitting someone with a guitar.

I will never understand how Jarrett got so many chances, and, also got to work with the clique, who were really careful about who they worked with, and who they 'allowed' to look good; Jarrett got to work with Shawn, Razor, and Diesel, and got the best match of his life with Shawn.

The most WTF thing about his initial WWF run is that I think he began a feud with Ahmed Johnson, had a bullshit guitar smash finish at the '96 Rumble, and then just disappeared. Then they ran the ROADIE WAS ACTUALLY THE TALENTED SINGER angle that absolutely no one cared about, then Roadie became Road Dogg, and that led to the New Age Outlaws. Jarrett returned for the bizarre NWA revival/invasion with the Aztec outfit, then that was abandoned, and he went right back to the singing poo poo with Colonel Parker, or Tennessee Lee. AND THEN HE GOT TO "PERFORM" A LIVE SONG ON A PPV WITH AN ACTUAL REAL COUNTRY BAND.

It's just mind-blowing that this company sank so much time and effort into one slug, who, as far as I can tell, never got them a penny in return. Jarrett ran with the WWF during some of their worst financial years, and he just got opportunity after opportunity while numerous other people were tossed aside.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Now seems like a good time to post this classic clip. The difference in crowd reaction at around 0:54, from :geno: to :dance: is perhaps the greatest whiplash ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lL_NKcfNM

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Sounds like these guys need to learn what the Germans are all about.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Red posted:

The most WTF thing about his initial WWF run is that I think he began a feud with Ahmed Johnson, had a bullshit guitar smash finish at the '96 Rumble, and then just disappeared. Then they ran the ROADIE WAS ACTUALLY THE TALENTED SINGER angle that absolutely no one cared about

That was when Jarrett first left for WCW, I guess they saw money in the country singer angle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Red posted:

There's a great little run where he's tagging with the aforementioned Ron Fuller before the former left for WWF and tied in with Fuller turning face for the first time in a while.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

It's one of of those things where the folks who just saw Col. Parker never got to see Ron Fuller at the top of his game, which was in Continental and Memphis. You got hints of it even in his time in WCW, I think, as how many managers who are 6'9 and don't overwhelm their wrestlers who are like eight inches or more shorter? You're right, though, Ron is both a great talker and worker. He even has one of the better Feinstein interviews as Feinstein isn't a great interviewer already but the Stud just sort of takes over and it becomes your fun southern uncle telling crazy stories.

You got the Fullers mixed up.

Colonel Parker was Robert Fuller, who isn't quite as tall as Ron.

Ron never worked in WCW.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Now seems like a good time to post this classic clip. The difference in crowd reaction at around 0:54, from :geno: to :dance: is perhaps the greatest whiplash ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lL_NKcfNM

They needed to send austin out whenever something went flat to stunner people. Like ecw did with 911.

The man was so hot no one would have ever gotten sick of it.

A great JJ moment was during his first run in wcw post country singing in wwf. He was hanging out with the horsemen for a few weeks and started acting like he was a member. And then arn told him they let him eat at their table during lunch, but he wasn’t with them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MrBling posted:

You got the Fullers mixed up.

Colonel Parker was Robert Fuller, who isn't quite as tall as Ron.

Ron never worked in WCW.

This confused me so much until I realized the guy I was thinking of was Rick Fuller.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Red posted:

As far as I recall, Jeff (as we know him, the strutting singer) debuted in late '93, and the first high profile thing he did (that I remember) was joining the group of heels who helped Yokozuna kill the Undertaker. He did a lot of back and forth in that time period between the WWF and USWA (I think). I get the impression he used his time in the south to develop his douchebag heel character, but in the south, he was a lot more aggressive - I'm fairly certain I remember seeing him use a chair to just loving destroy Gypsy Joe, which you wouldn't really have seen on WWF TV back then. The shame is that he couldn't do the aggressive heel stuff from the south, but he did bring along the stalling horseshit, which, if anything, gave him more of the X-Pac 'go the gently caress away' type heat, as opposed to genuine 'wow, this guy is bad and needs to get beat' heat. Stalling has its uses, but Jarrett did it to start every match, and in the middle of every match, and to slow down the end of the match; and even then, Jarrett usually ended his matches by cheating to win, or getting DQ'd by hitting someone with a guitar.

I will never understand how Jarrett got so many chances, and, also got to work with the clique, who were really careful about who they worked with, and who they 'allowed' to look good; Jarrett got to work with Shawn, Razor, and Diesel, and got the best match of his life with Shawn.

The most WTF thing about his initial WWF run is that I think he began a feud with Ahmed Johnson, had a bullshit guitar smash finish at the '96 Rumble, and then just disappeared. Then they ran the ROADIE WAS ACTUALLY THE TALENTED SINGER angle that absolutely no one cared about, then Roadie became Road Dogg, and that led to the New Age Outlaws. Jarrett returned for the bizarre NWA revival/invasion with the Aztec outfit, then that was abandoned, and he went right back to the singing poo poo with Colonel Parker, or Tennessee Lee. AND THEN HE GOT TO "PERFORM" A LIVE SONG ON A PPV WITH AN ACTUAL REAL COUNTRY BAND.

It's just mind-blowing that this company sank so much time and effort into one slug, who, as far as I can tell, never got them a penny in return. Jarrett ran with the WWF during some of their worst financial years, and he just got opportunity after opportunity while numerous other people were tossed aside.

Jeff's father and grandmother were both longtime, well-connected wrestling promoters based out of Nashville for decades before he was an active wrestler.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

smikey posted:

Jeff's father and grandmother were both longtime, well-connected wrestling promoters based out of Nashville for decades before he was an active wrestler.

Yeah, which makes it even more strange that Vince gave him so many shots. Normally being connected to Southern Wrasslin is something he looks down on.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Max Coveri posted:

That was when Jarrett first left for WCW, I guess they saw money in the country singer angle.
Jarrett's first run in WCW was also the first run of his career where he was pushed as a face in either of the Big 2

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Jarrett's first run in WCW was also the first run of his career where he was pushed as a face in either of the Big 2

And it was bad.

They tried putting Jarrett with the Horsemen. He was not only bland and not over in any sense of the word, but it happened to be the period where Bischoff really didn't like the Horsemen and they ineffectually kinda fizzled away within months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And it was bad.

They tried putting Jarrett with the Horsemen. He was not only bland and not over in any sense of the word, but it happened to be the period where Bischoff really didn't like the Horsemen and they ineffectually kinda fizzled away within months.

It's also indicative of WCW's worst booking instincts - if fans get behind someone other than their intended, they try to punish the fans. It's just so counter-productive. I get that a fair chunk of it would also come from the never-ending backstage politics and manoeuvring by people like Hogan, but like, as much as the nWo made money, their "invasion" needed a definitive end-point, and it needed a foil beyond just Sting.

What did turning Sting or Goldberg into "just guys" or torpedoing the Horsemen ultimately achieve? How's that WCW going these days?