Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

I rested for twelve before I left the cairn. Do you mean you have to literally leave the game sitting for one game or real hour?
No resting for one game hour should be enough. Maybe she got stuck in combat or something, she likes to aggro the skeletons in the cairn, but even then it should still work. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Poil posted:

No resting for one game hour should be enough. Maybe she got stuck in combat or something, she likes to aggro the skeletons in the cairn, but even then it should still work. :psyduck:

Yeah it didn’t work, had to leave the area and fast travel to get her to reappear. She does love to fight everything in the cairn; that second time, where I was walking backwards to keep an eye on her, I watched her run off in the opposite direction to hunt down a skeleton.

I did wait in front of her mother; maybe she won’t spawn into that area and you have to do it further back?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmm, I've waited for her down the stairs leading up and that has worked. But I think it should work up there as well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

She's saving you from playing the worst Elder Scrolls content ever made. Heed her

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've recently decided to try beating all the main TES games, just finished Arena and now I'm playing Daggerfall but jesus gently caress the dungeons are insane in this :psyduck:

Any tips for dungeeoneering and the game in general?

edit: why are there so many magically locked doors

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 31, 2021

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Owl I saw your post in the Morrowind thread but didn't want to derail - do you think Daggerfall is still good / worth the time? It's been on my "Maybe..." pile for a couple years now.

For reference I first really played Morrowind in 2020 and loved it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DourCricket posted:

Owl I saw your post in the Morrowind thread but didn't want to derail - do you think Daggerfall is still good / worth the time? It's been on my "Maybe..." pile for a couple years now.

For reference I first really played Morrowind in 2020 and loved it.

So far from what I've played I'd say no. You spend most of the time of the game in dungeons but they are really boring visually and unnecessarily long/labyrinthine. Also the game is insanely buggy, I've legit fell through the floor at least 3 times. I'm gonna try to beat it and then move on to the other games, but yeah...

Maybe the Unity port is worth a look however.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Cheat through the dungeons once you get bored of them

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've recently decided to try beating all the main TES games, just finished Arena

Hello I have a question about Arena that I ask every few years: I played through twice way back and both times when I got to 4 of 8 staff pieces I would sleep and get a scripted game over, assassinated maybe? I couldn't make sense of it or work around it and eventually put it down to clever copy protection on my 11ish pirated floppies. Did you see anything at all like this?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Chubby Henparty posted:

Hello I have a question about Arena that I ask every few years: I played through twice way back and both times when I got to 4 of 8 staff pieces I would sleep and get a scripted game over, assassinated maybe? I couldn't make sense of it or work around it and eventually put it down to clever copy protection on my 11ish pirated floppies. Did you see anything at all like this?

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:General_Hints

This might be a disease. When you have any stat be reduced to zero, you die. Being diseased slowly lowers your stats until you drink a cure disease potion.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Did you try the freeware version that Bethesda put out? It could probably be a disease yeah. I died once to a disease in Daggerfall out of nowhere and didn't even realise I was diseased. hosed up.

Edit: Just fell through the floor again:

That's Daggerfall! :buddy:

edit 2: i am now levitating through the void

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 31, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Big Scary Owl posted:

I've recently decided to try beating all the main TES games, just finished Arena and now I'm playing Daggerfall but jesus gently caress the dungeons are insane in this :psyduck:

I really recommend daggerfall unity. Its feature complete, runs really smoothly, and has some serious QoL upgrades. The biggest one is that in the settings.ini file (this will not be in your main daggerfall unity folder, it'll probably be in app data more info here) in the experimental section change the false flag on smaller dungeons to true. This makes randomized dungeons smaller. Not MW/Skyrim small, but something you can reasonably complete in about 30min to an hour. If you're not using Unity then in the Z.cfg file add cheatmode 1 to the bottom line, this gives you access to some console type commands, one of which ( the [ and ] keys) will cycle you through the quest item locations in dungeons. Sometimes the dungeon will just be hosed (or you've been doing the dungeon for 2 real hours and have given up) and that's your only option other than reloading. There's also a setting that gives you a list of all available quests for your current rank at guilds etc instead of the game picking one at random that I like.

Save all the time. I keep a save slot for before I accept a quest, another one for before I go into a dungeon, and then use quicksave for while I'm in the dungeon (Unity only). Temple of Arkay is a great option for a temple to join because it gives you the earliest access to potions. Once you get to about rank 2 in the mages guild there's a quest to guard a mage. This is a great quest. Takes 3 hours, you get a magical item, and you just have to stand around and kill 3 nightblades and then take their loot. On that note buy a wagon as soon as you can scrape up the 150g and put everything you're not going to be using in a dungeon in it. You can use your wagon at any time you're not in a dungeon, and in the dungeon you can click on the entrance/exit to access it. Buy the recall spell. Most people set the anchor at the dungeon entrance, I usually set it at the quest giver, you do you.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I really recommend daggerfall unity. Its feature complete, runs really smoothly, and has some serious QoL upgrades. The biggest one is that in the settings.ini file (this will not be in your main daggerfall unity folder, it'll probably be in app data more info here) in the experimental section change the false flag on smaller dungeons to true. This makes randomized dungeons smaller. Not MW/Skyrim small, but something you can reasonably complete in about 30min to an hour. If you're not using Unity then in the Z.cfg file add cheatmode 1 to the bottom line, this gives you access to some console type commands, one of which ( the [ and ] keys) will cycle you through the quest item locations in dungeons. Sometimes the dungeon will just be hosed (or you've been doing the dungeon for 2 real hours and have given up) and that's your only option other than reloading. There's also a setting that gives you a list of all available quests for your current rank at guilds etc instead of the game picking one at random that I like.

Save all the time. I keep a save slot for before I accept a quest, another one for before I go into a dungeon, and then use quicksave for while I'm in the dungeon (Unity only). Temple of Arkay is a great option for a temple to join because it gives you the earliest access to potions. Once you get to about rank 2 in the mages guild there's a quest to guard a mage. This is a great quest. Takes 3 hours, you get a magical item, and you just have to stand around and kill 3 nightblades and then take their loot. On that note buy a wagon as soon as you can scrape up the 150g and put everything you're not going to be using in a dungeon in it. You can use your wagon at any time you're not in a dungeon, and in the dungeon you can click on the entrance/exit to access it. Buy the recall spell. Most people set the anchor at the dungeon entrance, I usually set it at the quest giver, you do you.

Thanks to your post I decided to download the Unity port and holy poo poo it's so smooth :stare:

I imported my old saves so hopefully it'll be ok.

Edit: Oh yes, holy poo poo this is much better. Items are stacked now instead of having separate slots for copies? I'm sold already

edit 2: The automap is so much better to use now jesus

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 31, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I haven't played around with Unity mods much, but I'm looking real hard at the one that removes scorpions. Yes, lets have an enemy that paralyzes you for so long that your free action potion expires before the paralyze does. Hell lets fill a dungeon with them! (One of the many reasons to save before accepting quests, I was like gently caress this I'm out, whoever I was supposed to be rescuing is on their own)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
It's legit the first time I've seen messages like "Etiquette skill increased", "Vampire Pacified", "Dodging increased", and even saw enemies attacking each other (like humans attacking undead). Maybe it's common in the normal game, but I hadn't seen those before.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Big Scary Owl posted:

Thanks to your post I decided to download the Unity port and holy poo poo it's so smooth :stare:

I imported my old saves so hopefully it'll be ok.

Edit: Oh yes, holy poo poo this is much better. Items are stacked now instead of having separate slots for copies? I'm sold already

edit 2: The automap is so much better to use now jesus

Wait until you see how good Daggerfall can look with mods! Start with DREAM.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I haven't played around with Unity mods much, but I'm looking real hard at the one that removes scorpions. Yes, lets have an enemy that paralyzes you for so long that your free action potion expires before the paralyze does. Hell lets fill a dungeon with them! (One of the many reasons to save before accepting quests, I was like gently caress this I'm out, whoever I was supposed to be rescuing is on their own)

Always play as High Elf.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

reignofevil posted:

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Arena:General_Hints

This might be a disease. When you have any stat be reduced to zero, you die. Being diseased slowly lowers your stats until you drink a cure disease potion.

It's... possible? I definitely got a 'you're hosed. Game over' message from the cloud lady which I dont remember if you get from mechanical deaths but could be wrong. Will try it again someday.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Big Scary Owl posted:

It's legit the first time I've seen messages like "Etiquette skill increased", "Vampire Pacified", "Dodging increased", and even saw enemies attacking each other (like humans attacking undead). Maybe it's common in the normal game, but I hadn't seen those before.

I’m almost afraid to ask, but... what does the etiquette skill do?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

In dialogue you can choose polite, blunt, or normal. Etiquette covers polite, streetwise covers blunt. Using the right one with the right people gets you a better reaction.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the weird part, it increased while I was in combat (or rather when the enemy tried to attack me but was automatically pacified). I only use the neutral dialogue options and I don't think I'm in good relations with the vampire-kind so that was weird. Maybe a bug?

chaosapiant posted:

Wait until you see how good Daggerfall can look with mods! Start with DREAM.

drat, that looks nice, am downloading it now. My PC is kinda lovely so I hope it's not too straining for it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well if they were pacified you must have set your interaction to talk, but I've never heard of it working on vampires. Then again I just tend to run in swinging when I see them

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Well if they were pacified you must have set your interaction to talk, but I've never heard of it working on vampires. Then again I just tend to run in swinging when I see them

This is what I mean:

It's weird, I wasn't even looking at the enemy and didn't interact with them.

I tried out Dream but I thought it seemed kinda... off while playing? I dunno

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Double post, but I was checking the wiki to see if I was on the right track for the main quest in Sentinel and completely missed the prince and ended up in the castle dungeon :cripes:

Also, what the hell is up with that place, that kingdom seems hosed

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

The main quests in all the TES games are loving terrible, its by design.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

This is what I mean:

I wonder if that's related to the AI that makes different groups of monsters fight each other. The most charming vampire ever is out there talking down warriors in dungeons.

edit: Also what that guy said. Go ahead and do them, but don't feel bad about looking them up on uesp. Its easy to miss triggers for a bunch of them and MQ dungeons are a special level of hosed. I'll post a small section of the last dungeon walkthrough. Don't worry about spoilers, this will make so little sense it won't stay in your head I promise.

quote:

The island will sink down to a gigantic crossbow. Use the platforms to reach the crossbow and step into its notch. Turn around and touch the left halberd. You will be shot up to a mark and the gigantic sword will tilt over.

Shits crazy.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 1, 2021

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

This is what I mean:

That's how it works in vanilla too. The math for it is on the UESP.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Bestiary

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
What is the preferred 2021 way of playing Oblivion? Is there a complex combat/economy overhaul like Requiem? I want ~immersion~ and difficulty, don’t care about the graphics.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Necronormiecon posted:

What is the preferred 2021 way of playing Oblivion? Is there a complex combat/economy overhaul like Requiem? I want ~immersion~ and difficulty, don’t care about the graphics.

maskar's overhaul

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Necronormiecon posted:

What is the preferred 2021 way of playing Oblivion?

installing two worlds and playing it instead

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This, plus Maskar's Ultimate Levelling (I'm partial to the XP point based version but you can use either)
OCO v2
Animated Window Lighting
Denock Arrow
Unofficial Patches/SI Patch/DLC Patches

I might be missing some, but this is more or less what I use to play a sort of "Vanilla but more betterer" version of Oblivion. Also the 16GB Neural AI texture pack is awesome.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

installing two worlds and playing it instead

Two Worlds 2 spells are crazy fun to use and create.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.

chaosapiant posted:

This, plus Maskar's Ultimate Levelling (I'm partial to the XP point based version but you can use either)
OCO v2
Animated Window Lighting
Denock Arrow
Unofficial Patches/SI Patch/DLC Patches

I might be missing some, but this is more or less what I use to play a sort of "Vanilla but more betterer" version of Oblivion. Also the 16GB Neural AI texture pack is awesome.

All these look good. Thanks, guys.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Recommend using good old Wrye Bash if you're modding Oblivion. Newer mod managers don't work well with more complicated Oblivion mods with installers and setups.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Don't mind me, just continuing my Daggerfall posting: Found out that if you buff your strength and the buff runs out you can still carry the excess stuff normally with no drawbacks, it was really useful for getting stuff in the dungeon into the wagon.

Also found that the functions keys change how things are displayed in the automap, for example you can have things be invisible or in wireframe (as well as changing the background):

(i found the default mode the best imo however)

Discovered that there's rappelling too. If you walk backwards and there's a wall beneath you, you'll start rappelling and can go into climbing mode. Pretty neat. I really like how the climbing system has been modified to be much easier to maneuver around and jump, you kinda feel like Spiderman.

I ended up exploring the whole Castle Sentinel dungeon and even solved a puzzle involving levers to find... nothing. Guess I wasn't supposed to be there. yet..???

edit: a random waitress in an inn just challenged me to a duel :raise:

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Big Scary Owl posted:

edit: a random waitress in an inn just challenged me to a duel :raise:

Did you accept?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rappelling was added in Unity, but I need to know more about this waitress.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vavrek posted:

Did you accept?

I accepted (several times) and she asked to meet her at the same inn in 6 hours, so I slept 5 at the same inn and just wandered around inside and outside the inn looking for her for 1 hour+ (ingame time). She never showed up but I still took reputation damage so I reloaded to a previous save. I tried talking to her again but she talked like a normal NPC now instead.

edit: A line from a book I just found called "A Tale of Kieran"

quote:

"Oh, the maidens of Trowbridge are passing fair... ... with breasts like melons, and flaxen hair..."

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Did you install the tavern mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Did you install the tavern mod?

Nope, first I've heard of it. I have no mods on. I tried out DREAM but didn't like how it turned out.