Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gross. I hate that stuff. I get the need for security, but I don’t want the Capital looking like the DMZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dont worry the next republican president will tear it down and call it "openess"

cue 90 billion campaign ads of some jackoff standing in front of a fence with a sledgehammer in 2023

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Name the fence after Trump.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Name the fence after Trump.

Finally got his wall.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't worry guys, PragerU has a hot take!

https://twitter.com/StitchIsMyPatro/status/1354884665270669314?s=20

:stare:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:wtc:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
They posted that on Holocaust Remembrance Day, too

https://twitter.com/AntiFashGordon/status/1354822128080588803?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why the gently caress should I be expected to notice some nazi tweeting about something? I don’t follow them

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shocker. I halfway expected them to just close the Mall permanently. I do hate to see us handle our government buildings like lovely dictatorships though, we should at least aspire to look like a high-rent one.

Edit: also the demand for a fence is rich coming from the acting Capitol Police chief, how about you start with the much cheaper and more effective “take threats seriously,” hmmm?

Midjack fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 28, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Why the gently caress should I be expected to notice some nazi tweeting about something? I don’t follow them

Its important to keep track of PragerU because they've inserted themselves in loving Public Schools as a "valid resource"

So yeah, I keep an eye on those Nazi fucks.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Thank you for that. It's helping me frame my perspective on this matter.

Like many here, I need sock puppets to understand what some of these wall street guys do, and only ever see myself playing with extremely small amounts of money when it comes to stocks.

Well this time last year I was helping run Security Risk Management at TD before getting laid off from the Schwab merger. Additionally I'm fresh off doing cybersecurity and business risk consulting to the 3 major players (RH, hedge funds) involved in the GME bullshit- so I have... unique insights into the risk around this stuff

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Well this time last year I was helping run Security Risk Management at TD before getting laid off from the Schwab merger. Additionally I'm fresh off doing cybersecurity and business risk consulting to the 3 major players (RH, hedge funds) involved in the GME bullshit- so I have... unique insights into the risk around this stuff

So theoretically hedge funds with short positions on GME can take infinite losses right? What would happen in the case that the stock price keeps surging and they can’t cover their losses?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

So theoretically hedge funds with short positions on GME can take infinite losses right? What would happen in the case that the stock price keeps surging and they can’t cover their losses?

Wouldn't they just fold and go bankrupt?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Suicide Watch posted:

They go bankrupt. The fund is liquidated.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

yo what the gently caress

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Apparently some of the people liquidated at the bottom of today's GME price on robinhood did not have margin accounts. This is horseshit, and to highlight how hosed up everything is, I agree with Ben Garrison:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shouldn't the peepee frog be the stupid reddit alien? Even when he's right he's still stupid.

edit: and isn't this the guy who usually draws a stupid self insert doodle that explains the joke or has some snarky aside?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I only play the Bawsack exchange when I have a guaranteed tip like assassinating the CEO of a major tech company or some such :smug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Defenestrategy posted:

Shouldn't the peepee frog be the stupid reddit alien? Even when he's right he's still stupid.

edit: and isn't this the guy who usually draws a stupid self insert doodle that explains the joke or has some snarky aside?
That's Kelly. Garrison occasionally does A Good Cartoon, either due to commissions or due to having good opinions on very narrow specific issues (he did some 'gently caress the po-po' cartoons last summer)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Defenestrategy posted:

r/wsb has been called 4chan with a bloomberg terminal. That's probably why.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

Anybody with a short position faces potentially unlimited losses without adequate treatment- this could be other options/calls but there are restrictions

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well you had to figure that being Anti-Semitic getting checked on the MTG bingo card was going to happen at some point. It's like a competition between her and bowling alley dick for the worst new member of the House.

As a nerd, the constant use of MTG is messing with my head.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mr. Nice! posted:

Apparently some of the people liquidated at the bottom of today's GME price on robinhood did not have margin accounts. This is horseshit, and to highlight how hosed up everything is, I agree with Ben Garrison:

It's honestly surprising he exercised the restraint to not draw a giant nose on the hedge fund guy. It doesn't mean he's not rabidly anti-Semitic, just that he is unfortunately self-aware enough to hide the more atrocious facets of his agenda to attract an audience he might later black pill.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

quote:

The plannedemic helped the mega rich get mega richer while the little people got poorer. The biggest global corporations got bigger while smaller businesses were told they weren’t necessary. They were locked down. Many companies struggled was a result. Like weakened animals, they became prey to the powerful wolves that are Wall Street hedge funds. The hedge funds specialize in ‘shorting’ targeted stocks.

Hedge fund going bankrupt and losing billions of dollars can’t be tolerated, so now it appears that the corrupt brokerages and regulators are going to change the rules midstream—just as the Democrats changed voting rules in key states to steal the election.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

As a nerd, the constant use of MTG is messing with my head.

Haha I never even thought of that.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I'm hanging on to the 43 shares of AMC I bought at $4.62.

I don't think these robinhood/hedge fund people understand the bear they're poking. If they're not in or on the way to their billionaire bunker right now they're dumb as gently caress.

Nothing that they deserve to have happen to them, will ever happen to them. They are beyond consequences. Insider trading that makes them $12 billion? Oh, here's a fine for $2 billion. They will never be held accountable.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Some really good reading:

Citadel:
https://www.truthorfiction.com/does-citadel-own-robinhood/

How Robinhood makes $$$$ (and why they suck):
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/020515/how-robinhood-makes-money.asp

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NZ not wanting to get left behind in the stupidity race

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/124092178/miq-hotel-staffer-sacked-after-bedroom-encounter-with-quarantine-returnee

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

If you're shorting a stock that starts going up, you have to put up more money as collateral or forced to buy stock to close out your position

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2021/01/28/ignore-the-populist-gamestop-hype-short-sellers-are-heroes/?sh=394f6a6f73cf

Just read the whole thing. It’s beyond parody.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Not the first time, apparently there's been encounters with the Police/Military running the Quarantine that were really sketchy/downright racist.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1354949241219768326

EAT THE SHOE

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Haha I never even thought of that.

For a while I thought it was a bitcoin resurgence and mtgox was back.

gently caress it would be even better if gamestop stock was only available to buy and sell with bitcoin.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Is this guy loving high?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It's a shame no one has tried "The Fruithat" gambit in real life.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So here's the best "what happened?" explanation I've seen as to why the brokerages shut down trading on the meme stocks.

https://twitter.com/bespokeinvest/status/1354936237904322567

In a word: settlements. I didn't know these were really a thing, I just thought you bought, sold, and immediately lost/gained your money. Apparently there's more to it than that. And I more or less believe this general explanation, because Wall Street is always set up to "win" on a trade, even if it's by a fraction of a penny. The fractions add up to bajillions, so even the "no-cost" trades benefit Wall Street. There's absolutely a component of Robinhood et al having really scummy relationships with hedge funds and others (everyone knows everyone on Wall Street), but it might be as simple as "holy poo poo we don't have the money to fund settlements, shut the poo poo down until we get more".

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jesus that AOC twitch chat is nothing but people pumping dogecoin

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

So here's the best "what happened?" explanation I've seen as to why the brokerages shut down trading on the meme stocks.

yep I am the guy who posted that tweet in the stocks thread and rules plus incompetence explains a whole lot. wouldn’t be shocked if there was a little shady poo poo piled on top of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hey that’s the guy who said he was coming to Philly with an army...and Fetterman posted a choke slamming gif in response.