Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, it's post-tariff + aftermarket partner card markup. The FE's are still going for the original MSRP and are by far the best deal you can get right now if you can ever snag one from a best buy drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Probably an impossible to answer question, but humour a goon.

I've specced out a variation on a build, one Ryzen 5 3600 and another with a Ryzen 5 5600x.

Both systems are identical except for the CPU and I'd prefer to get a third party cooler for the 5600x.

I wasn't looking to build for a few months yet as the wife wants to get a few things done in the house first. I kept an eye on the pricing of the components and they're creeping up, for example the motherboard is up over £10 in the past week and the RAM increased by about £30.

The mobo is the minimum spec that takes advantage of all the USB ports on the Fractal Define 7 Compact case I want. I've chosen another RAM kit that has the same spec but a different manufacturer.

My question is: are components generally likely to increase in price over the course of the year?

It's not even that I'm dying to build (though I am), it's that my desktop machine is now dead and our laptop is a good 7 or so years old, an Ivy Bridge Toshiba machine with 4GB RAM that I threw an SSD in a few years ago.

Long story short, I'm wondering if I'd be better building sooner rather than later.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

If I can get a 5600x locally for 325 cash is it even worth chasing online drops or should I take the deal?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

AK-47 posted:

If I can get a 5600x locally for 325 cash is it even worth chasing online drops or should I take the deal?

Generally there is sales tax in most locations. Mine costed $315 grand total. I'd say that's a pretty fine deal and would take it if it's something you need right now.

Do you have a usable GPU for this system? It really depends on that. The GPU market is the hold up right now, it's insanely bad.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 28, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I did a great job future-proofing so I don't really need a new PC, but I'm increasingly worried that something will fail and these insane GPU prices aren't going to change anytime soon. In 2018 I bought a 8GB GTX 1070 Ti for $320. The exact same old video card costs over twice that, jesus.

If I do need to build a new PC it's going to be weaker than my current one. That's a sad state of affairs. I might go with a frankenstein computer from old parts and switch to consoles for games, I really don't know.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Do you have a usable GPU for this system? It really depends on that. The GPU market is the hold up right now, it's insanely bad.

Yeah I'm reusing my ancient Radeon HD 7950 from 2013, as well as my Evo 850 SSD and Western Digital HDD. I'll upgrade those all in due course, I just want a good system that'll perform well for the next few years.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sanctum posted:

I did a great job future-proofing so I don't really need a new PC, but I'm increasingly worried that something will fail and these insane GPU prices aren't going to change anytime soon. In 2018 I bought a 8GB GTX 1070 Ti for $320. The exact same old video card costs over twice that, jesus.

If I do need to build a new PC it's going to be weaker than my current one. That's a sad state of affairs. I might go with a frankenstein computer from old parts and switch to consoles for games, I really don't know.

Good job that you don't need to build a PC and you're getting unnecessarily worried about a hypothetical situation then!

Yeah the market is hosed at the moment but the comparative value on offer of the new cards at RRP is excellent compared to the last gen, and when supply catches up to demand consumers will have a great range of options to build from.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Probably an impossible to answer question, but humour a goon.

I've specced out a variation on a build, one Ryzen 5 3600 and another with a Ryzen 5 5600x.

Both systems are identical except for the CPU and I'd prefer to get a third party cooler for the 5600x.

I wasn't looking to build for a few months yet as the wife wants to get a few things done in the house first. I kept an eye on the pricing of the components and they're creeping up, for example the motherboard is up over £10 in the past week and the RAM increased by about £30.

The mobo is the minimum spec that takes advantage of all the USB ports on the Fractal Define 7 Compact case I want. I've chosen another RAM kit that has the same spec but a different manufacturer.

My question is: are components generally likely to increase in price over the course of the year?

It's not even that I'm dying to build (though I am), it's that my desktop machine is now dead and our laptop is a good 7 or so years old, an Ivy Bridge Toshiba machine with 4GB RAM that I threw an SSD in a few years ago.

Long story short, I'm wondering if I'd be better building sooner rather than later.

It's really hard to tell. I'd say if you can get the components you want at the proper retail price, probably go for it. I'm also in the UK, and I built my PC in the summer, when everyone was saying it was a bad time to build a PC (because of COVID). I'm really glad that I did then, because even things like nice case fans seem to be out of stock now, and however jacked up the prices were then, things are crazier now.

I think until we're well shot of the virus, all bets are off. There's every chance Brexit might make things pricier now we're post-trade agreement, too.

If you would like to build a PC, can afford to do so at current prices, and have access to stock, then do it. If you feel like you'll get value out of having access to a nice PC during lockdown, then that value will probably outweigh the outside chance of things being like £20 cheaper a year from now.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I've been eyeballing prebuilt PCs just to strip out their RTX 3070... I know someone that would be more than thrilled to get the remaining PC minus the card.

Luckily ive already got a 2080 Super before the GPU prices and availability went bonkers again. According to the various spec reviews, its only like ~7% faster than this 2080 Super, where as the 3080 is like 48% faster... sadly the prebuilt companies have already adjusted their prices on all their 3080 equipped PCs, so I guess ill just make due with what Ive got. Life is so hard! T_T

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

It's really hard to tell. I'd say if you can get the components you want at the proper retail price, probably go for it. I'm also in the UK, and I built my PC in the summer, when everyone was saying it was a bad time to build a PC (because of COVID). I'm really glad that I did then, because even things like nice case fans seem to be out of stock now, and however jacked up the prices were then, things are crazier now.

I think until we're well shot of the virus, all bets are off. There's every chance Brexit might make things pricier now we're post-trade agreement, too.

If you would like to build a PC, can afford to do so at current prices, and have access to stock, then do it. If you feel like you'll get value out of having access to a nice PC during lockdown, then that value will probably outweigh the outside chance of things being like £20 cheaper a year from now.

That's what I'm thinking. Just wondering how to get this past the wife.

Where's the thread for that?

Edit: gently caress I love this woman, she gave me the go-ahead!

Last time I built I got everything from Scan, this time I'm going to buy from wherever has the components cheapest.

A few questions.

1. Is this RAM decent enough or are those fins likely to get in the way of:
2. This cooler? Is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition a good choice for cooling the 5600x? I'm looking for the CPU to be able to boost all cores, but the machine to be quiet (it's going into a Fractal Define 7 Compact).

Here's the final list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£301.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£133.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: PNY Anarchy-X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.86 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£103.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £705.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 14:53 GMT+0000

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 27, 2021

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

AK-47 posted:

I did exactly this, but at $350. After what you may have paid for shipping or tax or just your time waiting it's, in my mind, worth it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
With sales tax, the one I picked up at retail price the other day came to $322.49 (US dollars), so depending on sales tax wherever you are, $325 is either a total no-brainer or a near-total-no-brainer (barring concerns about what happens when you buy one from somebody with cash and then it doesn't work.)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's what I'm thinking. Just wondering how to get this past the wife.

Where's the thread for that?

Edit: gently caress I love this woman, she gave me the go-ahead!

Last time I built I got everything from Scan, this time I'm going to buy from wherever has the components cheapest.

A few questions.

1. Is this RAM decent enough or are those fins likely to get in the way of:
2. This cooler? Is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition a good choice for cooling the 5600x? I'm looking for the CPU to be able to boost all cores, but the machine to be quiet (it's going into a Fractal Define 7 Compact).

Here's the final list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£301.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£133.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: PNY Anarchy-X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.86 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case (£103.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£76.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £705.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 14:53 GMT+0000

That cooler looks good to me! I've got one of those on a 3600 and the cores seem to be boosted most of the time. It'll be way quieter than the stock cooler, though the fan isn't as silent as a Noctua.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

That cooler looks good to me! I've got one of those on a 3600 and the cores seem to be boosted most of the time. It'll be way quieter than the stock cooler, though the fan isn't as silent as a Noctua.

Cheers sir. Do I need RAM that's on AMD's qualified vendor list? That PNY kit isn't listed, so I might go for something else if required.

Actually, while it's on my mind - are there any cases that have USB 3 and USB C ports on the front that are more affordable than the Define 7 Compact? That's what's driven my motherboard choice and if there's a cheaper case with those features, I'd be willing to take a look.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 27, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers sir. Do I need RAM that's on AMD's qualified vendor list? That PNY kit isn't listed, so I might go for something else if required.

Actually, while it's on my mind - are there any cases that have USB 3 and USB C ports on the front that are more affordable than the Define 7 Compact? That's what's driven my motherboard choice and if there's a cheaper case with those features, I'd be willing to take a look.

Spend a fiver more to get some of the best quality RAM by a reputable brand rather than that PNY stuff imo

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How about this?

https://m.cclonline.com/product/295...y-DIMM/RAM4238/

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

No, don't get a single stick of RAM. Dual channel is the way to go

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
After about 5 years of dutiful service my desktop has given up the ghost and it looks like I picked the absolute worst time to need a new one. If I just want something to run FF14 on and indie/retro stuff, would a pre-built be a decent solution at this moment in time? I know the OP is pretty down on them but I'm not sure how up to date it is with These Times. I am more than willing to build one if thats the better option, just trying to figure out if its even worth it atm

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

No, don't get a single stick of RAM. Dual channel is the way to go

Whoops, didn't even realise. That link you sent me doesn't deliver to my address.

This ok?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Whoops, didn't even realise. That link you sent me doesn't deliver to my address.

This ok?

Yep, and it's on the QVL for your motherboard too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yep, and it's on the QVL for your motherboard too.

Happy days. Any thoughts on the other questions about case and motherboard etc?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Happy days. Any thoughts on the other questions about case and motherboard etc?

The NZXT H510 seems to be the cheapest well regarded case with a front USB 3 Type A and C. Only a paltry one of each mind, but it's a little cheaper than your other option. I think I've heard good things about both cases itt though.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 27, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

The NZXT H510 seems to be the cheapest well regarded case with a front USB 3 Type A and C. Only a paltry one of each mind, but it's a little cheaper than your other option. I think I've heard good things about both cases itt though.

Cheapskates. I think I'll stick with the Fractal Define 7 Compact. My current case is a Define R4. I take it the 7 Compact just has fewer drive bays and is therefore shorter?

Also I don't want to have to worry about PSU or GPU sizes - does it fit standard equipment?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 28, 2021

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I have a linux server that we use to watch shows on, but I also use it for calculations (non-GPU) that I don't want to run on my laptop computer. I want to increase the computing power (currently a five-year old Intel Pentium G4400 Skylake Dual-Core 3.3 GHz). I was thinking about spending like $200 on a CPU. I thought that would be nice if the CPU had integrated graphics because I am not doing anything too demanding on the graphics side, but it seems like that limits the AMD Ryzen options significantly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: The server case fits a mini-itx and I would want to stay with that form factor.

accipter fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 28, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also I don't want to have to worry about PSU or GPU sizes - does it fit standard equipment?

Yes. For future reference all of this is very easily checked on the product pages on pcpartpicker. The define 7 is shorter, slightly narrower and a bit deeper going by the dimensions.

accipter posted:

I thought that would be nice if the CPU had integrated graphics because I am not doing anything too demanding on the graphics side, but it seems like that limits the AMD Ryzen options significantly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: The server case fits a mini-itx and I would want to stay with that form factor.

The best integrated graphics are found on the 4C/8T Ryzen 3400G, for which there's a wealth of itx motherboards and coolers. RRP $150. The 3200G is 4C/4T and $99 and has a worse igpu.

I'm not au fait with Intel options but their integrated graphics are much worse, although maybe you can get a higher core and thread count there.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I have this topic here in the Haus:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957203

I imagine it is looking like I will need to replace the Z370 mobo (It's 3 years old so way out of warranty). If this ends up being the case, what would be a cost-effective replacement nowadays? Case is a Meshify C.

Though I admit I have half a mind to just switch that system to AMD.

Reverend Joshua
Jul 1, 2007
My hypocrisy knows no bounds
Fallen Rib
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this purchase, is there any performance downside to sticking a new GeForce GTX 1050 Ti in there for the time being?

Reverend Joshua posted:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/txPDfP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Lenovo)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.94 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $708.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-23 10:37 EST-0500

Comments, suggestions (especially with regards to video cards)?

Thanks to Butterfly Valley and FreeKillB for their initial replies.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Reverend Joshua posted:

I'm ready to pull the trigger on this purchase, is there any performance downside to sticking a new GeForce GTX 1050 Ti in there for the time being?

Nope! Good luck building.

Tallgeese posted:

So I have this topic here in the Haus:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957203

I imagine it is looking like I will need to replace the Z370 mobo (It's 3 years old so way out of warranty). If this ends up being the case, what would be a cost-effective replacement nowadays? Case is a Meshify C.

Though I admit I have half a mind to just switch that system to AMD.

You might consider a 10100 and an H470 motherboard. It’s one hell of an i3, and it would definitely keep up with your 8400. There’s the 10400 too, which is a 6C/12T chip. New Intel chips are on the way in a month or two, but I don’t think you have to wait for that, given how launches have gone recently. But yeah, the breakdown would go something like:

$110 - 10100
$150 - 10400
$200 - 3600 (AMD)

I don't think any would be a bad choice, it's kind of a matter of deciding what you need out of the backup PC. You wouldn't even have any need to upgrade your RAM if you went with the Ryzen chip.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 28, 2021

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I was considering the Ryzen 3600. Could you suggest what motherboard would be best?

Last time I got a Tomahawk MAX (and broke a USB-C pin so one USB slot doesn't work, eesh), is anything better out now?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes. For future reference all of this is very easily checked on the product pages on pcpartpicker. The define 7 is shorter, slightly narrower and a bit deeper going by the dimensions.

The best integrated graphics are found on the 4C/8T Ryzen 3400G, for which there's a wealth of itx motherboards and coolers. RRP $150. The 3200G is 4C/4T and $99 and has a worse igpu.

I'm not au fait with Intel options but their integrated graphics are much worse, although maybe you can get a higher core and thread count there.

Thanks. I was a little confused between the generations of the CPU and APU, but I might understand them now. The prices for the 3400G are more like $250 right now for some, but I will keep an eye on them.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

I was considering the Ryzen 3600. Could you suggest what motherboard would be best?

Last time I got a Tomahawk MAX (and broke a USB-C pin so one USB slot doesn't work, eesh), is anything better out now?

PCPartPicker.com is bombing out on me right now, but I’d take a look there for a B550 motherboard. Honestly most are pretty good, it’s a matter of finding the features you want.

If you’re near a Micro Center it’d be worth seeing what they had too, as you get a $20 discount on a CPU and MB combo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

accipter posted:

Thanks. I was a little confused between the generations of the CPU and APU, but I might understand them now. The prices for the 3400G are more like $250 right now for some, but I will keep an eye on them.

The generations are quite confusing. They were released during Zen 2 but they're based on Zen+ architecture. Anyway a b450 motherboard would be your best bet if you wanted to go that route and yeah don't pay over the odds for one.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Got all my parts including an unobtanium 3080 and building tonight! Can someone point me towards a step by step on flashing the bios on a Gigabyte B550i Aorus? I seem to recall hearing just the mobo should be connected to power with nothing else but am having a hell of a time finding those instructions. As far as I can find the manual only refers to q flash in passing without instructions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Got all my parts including an unobtanium 3080 and building tonight! Can someone point me towards a step by step on flashing the bios on a Gigabyte B550i Aorus? I seem to recall hearing just the mobo should be connected to power with nothing else but am having a hell of a time finding those instructions. As far as I can find the manual only refers to q flash in passing without instructions.
There is probably someone on YouTube who has a video about it

I flashed my MSI MOBO with the help of a video

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not the same board, but should be close enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQLYROKJ_Q

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

SuicidalSmurf posted:

Here are their own instructions set to godawful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=449N8h2GdlU&feature=emb_title

Full disclosure, I couldn't get my b550i to flash at all, trying a bunch of different USB sticks and renaming the file every which way, and from googling I wasn't the only one.

However, seeing that other people with the same issue had had success just building it anyway, I tried the same, and it booted into BIOS letting me update it from within.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quick question - my Radeon R9 390 ( https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r9-390-r9-390-gaming-8g/p/N82E16814127874?Item=N82E16814127874 ) is dying - I want to replace it, and I'm not even worried about upgrading, I just want something comparable, because it runs all the games I want decently enough. But I'm out of the loop on hardware these days, and with the current price spike + stock shortage in GPUs, I don't know what to buy, or even where they would be available. What cards should I be looking at, and is there anyplace I can look to actually find similar cards in stock at a sane price, or am I poo poo out of luck?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A 1060 should be at around the same performance level, and some stores definitely have 1660s in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick question - my Radeon R9 390 ( https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-r9-390-r9-390-gaming-8g/p/N82E16814127874?Item=N82E16814127874 ) is dying - I want to replace it, and I'm not even worried about upgrading, I just want something comparable, because it runs all the games I want decently enough. But I'm out of the loop on hardware these days, and with the current price spike + stock shortage in GPUs, I don't know what to buy, or even where they would be available. What cards should I be looking at, and is there anyplace I can look to actually find similar cards in stock at a sane price, or am I poo poo out of luck?

RX 570, RX 580, or a 1650 Super are worth searching around for too. It’s not going to fall in your lap, but I’ve seen a couple RX cards locally for a decent price. Even saw a 570 in the customer pickup area at a Best Buy recently. As far as where to look, I’d check out Micro Center, Best Buy, SA Mart, r/hardwareswap, and whatever flavor of local listings you like most.