Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

It occurred to me that I don't remember how to do any of that poo poo. It is like buying an avatar?

Check ye messages!

Edit: wow bad snype. Here is my dog tax.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Is a moving gang tag too much when you already have a moving avatar? Also how do you get a gang tag?

Also also I found a copy of Songs in the Key of Life at a thrift store today. It looks to be a VG which I'd usually pass up but for that cheap, why not? Plus it might fare better when I clean it. Anyway, that's my first good thrift store find in ages.

So when I lived in Florida there was (still is) a record store called Bananas and it had a back room with literally thousands of unsorted used records for $2.99 each. A lot of it was the usual Goodwill-fare dreck, but circa 2013 and 2014, you could find solid classic albums there for cheap, like Huey Lewis, Tom Petty, Styx, etc. And there were always about a dozen copies of Songs in the Key of Life there.

But for whatever reason I always said to myself, "I'll grab that Stevie Wonder next time." And then oops I moved out of state. I returned for a visit in late 2019 to find that while the back room was still there and packed with records, it was mostly bottom of the barrel dreck. All those classic albums were long gone -- either bought years ago or moved to the main part of the store with price tags $10 and up. Songs in the Key of Life was nowhere to be found.

So in conclusion I am very jealous of you right now but my gang tag is keeping me mellow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ballz posted:

So when I lived in Florida there was (still is) a record store called Bananas and it had a back room with literally thousands of unsorted used records for $2.99 each. A lot of it was the usual Goodwill-fare dreck, but circa 2013 and 2014, you could find solid classic albums there for cheap, like Huey Lewis, Tom Petty, Styx, etc. And there were always about a dozen copies of Songs in the Key of Life there.

But for whatever reason I always said to myself, "I'll grab that Stevie Wonder next time." And then oops I moved out of state. I returned for a visit in late 2019 to find that while the back room was still there and packed with records, it was mostly bottom of the barrel dreck. All those classic albums were long gone -- either bought years ago or moved to the main part of the store with price tags $10 and up. Songs in the Key of Life was nowhere to be found.

So in conclusion I am very jealous of you right now but my gang tag is keeping me mellow.

If it makes you feel better I am probably more jealous of the poster who found Dusty In Memphis in a thrift store than you are of me. On a related note, last time I was in there I found an Indian folk album and the soundtrack to a Satyajit Ray film which is apparently pretty valuable. I'm sure you'll find another copy of Songs in the Key of Life.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pwn posted:

Check ye messages!

Edit: wow bad snype. Here is my dog tax.

Ah yes, Belle and Sebastian's notorious French LP.

But seriously, you could imagine them putting out an album with that cover.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Ah yes, Belle and Sebastian's notorious French LP.

But seriously, you could imagine them putting out an album with that cover.

Too many colors. NOT a Belle and Sebastian album cover.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I don't have any pictures handy of the few somewhat ridiculous album covers in my collection, but I did somehow come into an Al Jolson album with the big yikes front and center on the cover. (it probably was in a big stack of stuff from a flea market or garage sale or estate sale.)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
Finally caught up with this thread. I'm in the process of organizing my collection and listing it on Discogs, wish I had gotten in the habit of doing so long ago when the amount of releases I had was much smaller. I keep telling myself it'll be worth the effort, especially if it prevents me from accidentally rebuying the same album again! At least I'm not alone in having done that.

Content: I actually picked up this Meet the Residents reissue a while back after reading caligulamprey's thread about the band and its history. The King & Eye promo came from a used record store - was not expecting to find it amongst all the REO Speedwagon LPs!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1uEy-n4IsU

though I like her ex-husband's daughter more

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

obscure_reference posted:

Finally caught up with this thread. I'm in the process of organizing my collection and listing it on Discogs, wish I had gotten in the habit of doing so long ago when the amount of releases I had was much smaller. I keep telling myself it'll be worth the effort, especially if it prevents me from accidentally rebuying the same album again! At least I'm not alone in having done that.

Content: I actually picked up this Meet the Residents reissue a while back after reading caligulamprey's thread about the band and its history. The King & Eye promo came from a used record store - was not expecting to find it amongst all the REO Speedwagon LPs!

LOL I still have The King and Eye on cassette somewhere.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sounds like you guys all sell records on discogs. Is that much better than on ebay, money wise? I've always meant to sell some of mine but not really done much so far.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

Sounds like you guys all sell records on discogs. Is that much better than on ebay, money wise? I've always meant to sell some of mine but not really done much so far.

Havent really tried selling records on ebay. Mostly out of laziness to take photos of the stuff im selling. i find it easier to grade on discogs and list any issues if there are any in the details.

ebay takes a 9% cut and discogs takes an 8% cut though.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The better Mountain Goats record of 2020 Songs for Pierre Chuvin is getting a Vinyl/CD release

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ahaha oh man, the live performances were fantastic, but I've neeeeeeever been able to sit through The King and Eye once. Even the synths sound tired and bored. The techno remix album, even less so.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

ahaha oh man, the live performances were fantastic, but I've neeeeeeever been able to sit through The King and Eye once. Even the synths sound tired and bored. The techno remix album, even less so.
I can't help wondering if the techno remix album was partly a reaction to that remix of "A Little Less Conversation" that was all over the place in the early 2000s.

It's been asked before way, way back in this thread, but would there be any interest in a CD finds/collecting thread? Perhaps an "other dead/dying formats" thread in general, since record collecting feels like a distinct thing of its own?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

obscure_reference posted:

I can't help wondering if the techno remix album was partly a reaction to that remix of "A Little Less Conversation" that was all over the place in the early 2000s.

It's been asked before way, way back in this thread, but would there be any interest in a CD finds/collecting thread? Perhaps an "other dead/dying formats" thread in general, since record collecting feels like a distinct thing of its own?

Here ya go.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814175&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

and a tape thread as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920428&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't have anything old and weird like you guys post. This is what I've bought most recently though:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

It's not there. No booklet either. But it's a good starter copy. The last time I went into a record store I was going to buy the album all fancy like with a couple other things but then I noticed that he had a first pressing of Alan Vega which is something I never thought I'd see in the wild, so I opted to get that instead and put the other things back. It's a beautiful NM copy that looks like it had never been played.

You in the US? I happen to have an extra copy of the 7" that you can have for free if you want it. Shoot me a PM.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

phosdex posted:

I don't have anything old and weird like you guys post. This is what I've bought most recently though:

You can't go wrong with Air. Moon Safari & Talkie Walkie are two of my favorite records.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RIP CD thread, drat. Unless that was the point you were trying to make? Maybe having a general dead physical music formats thread would gain better traction. That way the 8 track and reel to reel guys can get in on it!

Additionally, I think I was possibly the jackass who asked about a CD thread but pussed out at actually making it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:justpost: although a dead format thread might fare better. Funnily enough you couldn't include vinyl, because it's the only physical format that isn't dead at this point.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

beeker posted:

You can't go wrong with Air. Moon Safari & Talkie Walkie are two of my favorite records.

I've got mp3s of Moon Safari and 10000 Hz Legend, which I like. For whatever reason I've never listened beyond those 2 and Virgin Suicides. I should get around to listening to more.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have near as extensive a collection as most of y'all I'm sure but here's some stuff I think is neat

most of this stuff is my wife's random buys

The gatefold art in Devin Townsend's Empath is beautiful

And the artwork and lyric insert from Gama Bomb's Sea Savage is awesome

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Enos Cabell posted:

:justpost: although a dead format thread might fare better. Funnily enough you couldn't include vinyl, because it's the only physical format that isn't dead at this point.

SACD, DVD Audio, MiniDisc, DAT, basically just a techmoan thread

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IS anyone else having trouble with imgur? Is it down says it's not down but I can't get on there at all.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CPL593H posted:

IS anyone else having trouble with imgur? Is it down says it's not down but I can't get on there at all.

imgur was down earlier today, but it's working now for me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
One of the weirder things I have in my collection is this: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Narrates-Prokofiev-Eugene-Ormandy-The-Philadelphia-Orchestra-Perform-Britten-Peter-And-T/release/1046310

David Bowie narrating "Peter and the Wolf" recorded in December of 1978 for his son Duncan Jones. It's actually quite a cute and fun recording. Bowie is really into it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

You might want to try Clearwater Records next time.

I was in Clearwater for a concert in late 2019 and didn't want to drive over to Bananas. I Googled nearby record stores and found this one. They had a similar unsorted back room with a pretty good collection. Even the main section was pretty agreeable. Picked up a nice copy of The Court of the Crimson King for something like $15.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

One of the weirder things I have in my collection is this: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Narrates-Prokofiev-Eugene-Ormandy-The-Philadelphia-Orchestra-Perform-Britten-Peter-And-T/release/1046310

David Bowie narrating "Peter and the Wolf" recorded in December of 1978 for his son Duncan Jones. It's actually quite a cute and fun recording. Bowie is really into it.

Bowie was not one to half-rear end a gig he chose to take, at least not until his late 80s glass-spider malaise

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Bowie was not one to half-rear end a gig he chose to take, at least not until his late 80s glass-spider malaise

I heard him say about the Let's Dance era/tour he said "I had an audience of Phil Collins fans when I wanted an audience of Iggy Pop fans.". That sums up his all his 80s work after Scary Monsters. Speaking of which, how the gently caress did he go from Scary Monsters to Let's Dance? That kind of drop off is almost impressive.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like Let’s Dance 😿

I’ll even go to bat for Tonight.

But that’s it. I don’t really touch the late 80’s into the 90’s stuff.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

^^^ I also like Let's Dance and Tonight. The only album I really cold on is Never Let Me Down.

CPL593H posted:

I heard him say about the Let's Dance era/tour he said "I had an audience of Phil Collins fans when I wanted an audience of Iggy Pop fans.". That sums up his all his 80s work after Scary Monsters. Speaking of which, how the gently caress did he go from Scary Monsters to Let's Dance? That kind of drop off is almost impressive.

I think it was part studio influence and part he was just creatively exhausted at that point so he was trying to go back to the familiar things that worked. His resurgence in the 90s is my favorite of his output though. Not a bad album from Outside to the end.

And speaking of - re-release those goddamned albums already, Parlophone. I will give you so much money just so I don't have to pay $200 for outside.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
The only time I've been mad at Bowie is for making me watch Mr. Rice's Secret. Parents rented it being Bowie fans and he's barely in it. Not sure how he was convinced to be in that terrible film. My dad went upstairs pretty early on and I should have followed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fors Yard posted:

The only time I've been mad at Bowie is for making me watch Mr. Rice's Secret. Parents rented it being Bowie fans and he's barely in it. Not sure how he was convinced to be in that terrible film. My dad went upstairs pretty early on and I should have followed.

So his secret was that he's barely in the movie?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Velvet Goldmine was published

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

That's a v good characterization of it. And maybe a scattering of Huey Louis fans.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This bowie talk is making me think I need both a crystal japan single and god willing, a poster version of that single cover

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Let's Dance rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Let's Dance was Bowie going all out to make a hit pop record. It was something he wanted to do - make a record as a singer. He hooked up with Nile Rodgers because dude could produce a hit, and the two of them got on famously.

Let's Dance was a pretty good album overall.

Tonight, on the other hand, was one that just wasn't that passionate. Except for Loving the Alien and Blue Jean, the whole thing was very weak. Basically, it was an album he didn't put much effort into because everyone wanted a follow up to Let's Dance.

Never Let Me Down is a weird one. Honestly, I think it's seriously underrated. There's a lot of great songs, I swear I will fight anyone who says "Time Will Crawl" isn't one of Bowie's best songs. There's a lot of good material, and there definitely is some dross. But for whatever reason, it is just really maligned.

I have the boxset for that era, and one thing is you get a lot of Never Let Me Down, since you have the full album, the remixed version, the single edits, and the vinyl edits.

If I had to rank them - Let's Dance would be an 8. Tonight would be a 3. And NLMD would be a 6.

But that period gave us some of his finest work through the soundtracks. Absolute Beginners is one of his best songs, only surpassed by Magic Dance.

And Underground. That's another good one.

But yeah, Scary Monsters was very much an art record and Bowie coming off of a really hot run. Let's Dance wasn't an attempt to continue that, but to do something more mainstream, but still Bowie. Tonight is just cashing in, and NLMD is an underrated LP.