Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm just happy because the more Jimmy Woo we get, the more likely we'll one day get an MCU version of Agents of Atlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Or even Agents of H.A.T.E.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The MCU even going near Nextwave would be amazing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Kinda weird for Jimmy to be calling her Wanda like they're besties or something. But I guess that's Jimmy for you.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

so is Monica the only competent SWORD agent? because looks like they brought in the comic relief from Antman & Wasp, and Thor for this mission

I think they're trying to bring in other competent people who aren't giant stars. Jimmy Woo was dumb compared to Ant-Man, and whatever Darcy's faults she still studied and trained under two of the finer minds SHIELD was aware of and could get to work for them. She has experience with the Stones and like Selvig's character, would be somewhat controllable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The actors probably cost a lot less too.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The actors probably cost a lot less too.

This is the most expensive TV show ever made, I don’t think Disney cares much about the budget.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

The thing I am most excited about is Billy Kaplan coming into the MCU so we get some badass gay superhero stuff Dunno if it'll be in this show but it has to happen eventually now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Raere posted:

The thing I am most excited about is Billy Kaplan coming into the MCU so we get some badass gay superhero stuff Dunno if it'll be in this show but it has to happen eventually now.

I do wonder if they’ll (a) have the kids grow up, and (b) have them live beyond this series. I would love to see representation beyond that one guy played by a Russo in Endgame for 20 seconds.

Also, give Monica powers.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Raere posted:

Love and Thunder is gonna be mega gay too!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holy poo poo the intro for ep4 starts right as everyone is snapped back. Oh that's a horrible way for Monica to come back. Nice to hear Carol's voice briefly

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
THE UNSNAPPENING

:stare:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ that episode. :stare:

I'm glad Darcy wasn't just a joke casting, she actually knows her poo poo. I kinda wished Jimmy Woo said "I know Ant-Man" and she retorted "I know Thor".

I wonder if this episode will mark a change in the series, less total immersion in the sitcom world.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Alright, so the real show starts now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The short episodes are starting to get really frustrating. Waiting a week for a 22-27m episode with a sliver of plot development is dragging on

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

BurritoJustice posted:

The short episodes are starting to get really frustrating. Waiting a week for a 22-27m episode with a sliver of plot development is dragging on

Yeah this one definitely feels like it was meant for a binge watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is this where are my cool sitcom antics

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marvel you are cowards you seriously couldn’t handle being different and weird for longer than three episodes?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Three episodes too much.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

As someone who really wasn't enjoying the intentionally unfunny sitcom thing, I wish the show had just started with this episode. It basically recaps everything we've seen up to this point anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode wasn’t like badly-written or anything but it is bitterly disappointing that they felt the need to be like “ok here’s an explanation for literally every single god drat weird thing that’s happened so far!!!!!!” instead of revealing things gradually. Like they actually were doing something genuinely different and they packed it in this early for a whole episode of generic Marvel wit and blue tint and urgh

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

the intentionally unfunny sitcom thing

Speak for yourself :mad:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Speak for yourself :mad:

I mean it's a huge success in capturing how crap the jokes in old sitcoms were, so it's technically a win.

But if you slavishly imitate a pile of dogshit you're just going to end up with a pile of dogshit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was pretty funny though

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

It was pretty funny though

To be fair the Whedon-esque modern ironic banter in this episode is more annoying than the sitcom stuff.

What was the line about Jimmy Woo, Quantico and baseball about anyway?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The other day it hit me that if someone was watching the events of WandaVision as a sitcom, did that mean that the events of the day were abridged and shown in that form or were time and space jumping around in that 30 minutes?

So I appreciate that one of the military guys asked that immediately.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

To be fair the Whedon-esque modern ironic banter in this episode is more annoying than the sitcom stuff.

What was the line about Jimmy Woo, Quantico and baseball about anyway?

I think the idea was that he’s good at softball so they want him around when the season is on but don’t care about him being there otherwise

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am really happy to have Jimmy Woo in the MCU, very much enjoyed the episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh good, I'm definitely looking forward to a whole week of "They should have stayed with the sitcom longer!" versus "They should've left the sitcom earlier!" conversations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I have a simple solution: don't read the thread for a week if you don't like the topic of conversation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So is Wanda using Vision's dead body as a puppet?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The best part of just about every MCU product is the first half, where tones and genres get to wander a bit and we see different takes on classic Marvel stuff.

Then, sometime during act 2, everything shuffles back to MCU status quo and it all blends together into same-y fights, lots of quips and ~lore~.

Count me among the people who hoped we'd continue with the sitcom premise as things got weirder and weirder, rather than just bursting the bubble less than halfway in. I can understand people who thought the first couple episodes moved too slowly, but I'm not convinced an info-dump episode that drains all the mystery is better, and now those first three episodes just seem like an awkward overlong prologue rather than the beginning of a sinister-feeling puzzle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Oh good, I'm definitely looking forward to a whole week of "They should have stayed with the sitcom longer!" versus "They should've left the sitcom earlier!" conversations.

I didn’t read this thread until that episode but were people really arguing they should have left the sitcom earlier because that’s wack as hell

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Also, Agnes is the only one they didn't find a real world missing person for, right? Maybe Emma Caulfield's character, too, I can't remember. I'd say that's kind of important.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The MCU could do with something contentious and weird, but they need everyone to enjoy every piece of media so they can keep up to date with the ~connected universe~ which means that they always have to grind down the weirdness into a standardised blob. A consistently decent level, but I was more excited when it was something goofy and different even if it wasn't for everyone

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I very much doubt that the show is finished with the sitcom format at this point anyway. They've only done the 50's, 60's and 70's so far and we know there's at least some 90's and 00's homages to things like Full House to go. It's more likely the next 4 episodes will each homage another decade with a superficial sitcom format but with some more oddity occuring, similar to the way episode 3 played out rather than being dedicated entirely to the sitcom aspect like episodes 1 and 2 and that only the final episode will have no sitcom element.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
The Blip is loving terrifying. What happens if I was on the subway when I got Snapped? Do I reform in the same seat on the same train (unoccupied or not) or do I reform in the same physical space in the subway tunnel, train or no? gently caress.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the idea was that he’s good at softball so they want him around when the season is on but don’t care about him being there otherwise

Quantico is FBI school. He’s calling him a rookie.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

BlackIronHeart posted:

The Blip is loving terrifying. What happens if I was on the subway when I got Snapped? Do I reform in the same seat on the same train (unoccupied or not) or do I reform in the same physical space in the subway tunnel, train or no? gently caress.

Or flying in a plane? I don’t even want to think about that kind of terror. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The way they were watching the broadcast seemed really unrealistic (I'm talking about character decisions before someone points out that yes, the whole thing is unrealistic), this is their only viewpoint into whats happening in the town, if they can pull every genius they can onto it you'd think there would be like, 100 CRT TVs stacked up and every hand in the room watching the show details obsessively. Especially when they try to interfere with the broadcast. And snarky expert lady is really bad at spotting the obvious read that Wanda looks visibly disturbed by intrusions and that is relevant and potentially dangerous

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 29, 2021