Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah RE8 and Deathloop are the only big releases on my radar, and I'll def catch Elden Ring whenever that falls from the sky.

exquisite tea posted:

It’s gonna be pretty easy to buy no games this year (because there will be none)!

Lol yeah. PS5 or no, it's a good year to clear out some PS4 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2022 is going to be even slower I bet. It's fine, there's too many games.

Just give me a real banger every 3 or 4 months and I'll be happy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm gonna download god of war on my ps5 so I can see how much better it is without the "you're playing the game on the tarmac at laguardia" ambiànce

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

2022 is going to be even slower I bet. It's fine, there's too many games.

Fuckin hell I hope so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The switch is a killer. So much cheap games that look mildly interesting

You could watch Tim Rogers go through his Switch SD card and rattle off one-line reactions to all his games :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4jomTW7pMQ&t=257s

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Idk if I'm gonna buy many games this year but I'm certainly going to play a bunch!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You could watch Tim Rogers go through his Switch SD card and rattle off one-line reactions to all his games :)

I didn't know I needed this but I did

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Maybe this'll be the year I finally play Simpsons Hit & Run

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haha oh poo poo I looked at a list of upcoming releases and there's way more poo poo slated for this year than I remembered, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2...There's even more than that.

I'm sure a bunch of 2021 releases are going to get delayed though. It seems inevitable unless we want a year full of Cyberpunks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tim Roger’s “one-liners”

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It's a hard ethic to live buy and one I flub frequently myself, but buy a game if you are straight up in the mood to play it right now. It doesn't matter if it's full price, on sale for 90% off, whatever. If your current thought is "hell yeah I'd rather be playing this game at this very moment" buy away. If the thought is "well I've been meaning to check that out and that price is really good, maybe I'll play it after the 5 games I'm planning to play next" don't buy it. It'll go on sale again and again, probably for cheaper, and then if you you are in the mood to play it down the road, buy it. If you are still mentally backlogging it, you probably didn't want to play it that badly anyways.

Buying games "for later" is a great way to literally just donate money to publishers.

that's my ted talk

The games I buy "for later" are physical releases that might go out of stock because they're rare. In fact I'm glad that I did with the Yakuza series because they are all out of stock (spanish/italian retail release) cept for the ugly Yakuza 0 hits one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m very glad that after April there are no confirmed release dates for games I want. Hopefully I’ll have a few months to catch up on stuff before Horizon and whatever

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just want disco elysium on the ps4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

I just want disco elysium on the ps4

I forgot about that as well :negative:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Disco Elysium is gonna be one of those games where I literally won’t do anything for play it for days on end and I’ll get behind on all my TV. I just know it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found it to be one of those games I could only play for an hour or 2 at a time.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

I found it to be one of those games I could only play for an hour or 2 at a time.

I can only play for around 30 minutes at a time, afterwards I start to lose interest. I wish there was a game like it with more of a fantasy setting/world.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FAUXTON posted:

I'm gonna download god of war on my ps5 so I can see how much better it is without the "you're playing the game on the tarmac at laguardia" ambiànce

heads up, just like The Last Guardian, God of War only runs at 60 if you have the disc

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

heads up, just like The Last Guardian, God of War only runs at 60 if you have the disc

Why?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m very glad that after April there are no confirmed release dates for games I want. Hopefully I’ll have a few months to catch up on stuff before Horizon and whatever

I only buy games if I can get them for $12 or less, but I don't otherwise restrain myself.

This let me build up a huge backlog of games I want to play while limiting my expense. It also keeps me from playing buggy new release games, and I can often get the DLC included.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Because they patched the disc versions of both games to cap the framerate at 30 in order to not literally destroy PS4s. The digital versions are the patched versions. The disc versions can be played without being patched which results in the uncapped framerate settling at 60 on PS5.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

because it didn't run at 60 on a ps4/pro. it ran uncapped which meant an inconsistent fps which is generally considered worse than a fixed 30 (for fixed frequency displays, i.e., till recently virtually all tvs). unfortunately when they added the (needed) fps cap, they didn't make it optional, which now would be pretty great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Because they patched the disc versions of both games to cap the framerate at 30 in order to not literally destroy PS4s. The digital versions are the patched versions. The disc versions can be played without being patched which results in the uncapped framerate settling at 60 on PS5.

I'm pretty darn sure I played GoW in 60fps on PS5, there is still an uncapped framerate mode.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I think GoW's story is a little more complicated, like you need the unpatched version to run it at 4k with an unlocked frame rate or something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I think GoW's story is a little more complicated, like you need the unpatched version to run it at 4k with an unlocked frame rate or something

Is that so? My bad, I heard the DF guys talking about it in the same breath as TLG and probably misinterpreted

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hmm, my PS4 from 2015 might be having disc drive issues. Put in 13 Sentinels and it said "could not start application." I took it out, examined it, and put it back in a couple times, but it wouldn't start the game (even though it knew what game it was). I then inserted Yakuza 5, which successfully started, so I put 13 Sentinels back in and it worked. Also I heard a weird noise from the drive once or twice. Hope everything's okay in there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arist posted:

Hmm, my PS4 from 2015 might be having disc drive issues. Put in 13 Sentinels and it said "could not start application." I took it out, examined it, and put it back in a couple times, but it wouldn't start the game (even though it knew what game it was). I then inserted Yakuza 5, which successfully started, so I put 13 Sentinels back in and it worked. Also I heard a weird noise from the drive once or twice. Hope everything's okay in there.
My PS4’s optical drive is also half-broken and has been for years. Sticking the nozzle of canned air in there and blowing it may have helped a little bit? I’m not really sure. I don’t buy disc-based PS4 games anymore and usually use my PS3 to play Blu-rays.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My 2016 Slim has done that off and on for years. It's usually only once or twice then it's good for a while.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The PS Store reminded me I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider and maybe I should consider playing it...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I got Ratchet and Clank and Zone of Enders 2 funky fresh edition on PS4 just now. Also King of FIghters 2000 for 3 bucks because you can't have enough of that. I appreciate a good deal quite frankly. And a good hummus, nothing fancy, but it is one of the more nutritious and delicious dips.

Simone Magus posted:

Meanwhile space quest goes totally ignored :mad:

You said it! Space Quest sure rules, Roger Wilco is a legend. Anybody here who may not play them, try popping on a longplay or let's play of Space Quest 4 on youtube. That was one of the most clever funny cinematic games of the 90s. 5 is my other fav.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 29, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

I'm still playing through 5, then onto 6 and hopefully after that it won't be too long until the PS5 release of LAD.

its in march. but uhh 5 is long, 6 isnt so. all 3 are great tho and i say that while i've given up on the ps4 version of LAD at chapter 5 just cos i had so many other games, might as well wait for the ps5 version now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Casnorf posted:

backlog is a myth play the game you feel like playing when you feel like playing it who cares if it is good or bad or indifferent or completed or anything really just play what you want and when you are satisfied stop dont sunk cost your own enjoyment ya dinguses

hell yes! delete the myth!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

My New Years resolution is to not buy a single game in 2021. Ever since I started working full time the last couple of years I’ve spent an absolute fortune on games. I mean at the moment it’s very easy to justify because there’s not much else to do at home but I think I’ve this massive pile of games I’ve only played bits of.

If Elden ring comes out though, it’s game over.

lol i say this every year. stay strong QoP, i've already lost.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Walrus posted:

I'm pretty darn sure I played GoW in 60fps on PS5, there is still an uncapped framerate mode.

Is that so? My bad, I heard the DF guys talking about it in the same breath as TLG and probably misinterpreted

yeah GOW can still run at 60fps at 1080p like it does on ps4 pro but if you want it in 4k/60 on ps5 you need the unpatched disc, otherwise 4k is locked to 30. TLG has no pro style setting, if i recall? it has dynamic res and disc is unpatched so on ps5 the res will always hit the highest which is some mid-way between 1080 and 4k and locked 60s cos its uncapped. it doesnt even have those drops when shitloads of things are going on, on screen, type stuff either. the power of playstation

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The more I play Odin Sphere, the more I want to buy 13 Sentinels.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was the frame rate in the carnival in Bully always this bad or is it exclusive to PS4 emulation lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TLG: Unlocked framerate with no PS4 Pro resolution or HDR support on unpatched disk. Brute-forced to 60fps on PS5 but lacking the above features and some settings/ bug fixes. Locked to 30fps after patches.

God of War: Unlocked framerate at 4K through PS4 Pro performance mode on the unpatched disk code. Brute forced to 60fps on PS5 but no New Game+ or bug fixes. 60fps 1080p available after the patches.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tei posted:

The more I play Odin Sphere, the more I want to buy 13 Sentinels.

Vanillaware make good games, no joke. I really like that they aren't a one-trick-pony like some of the other indie studios and actually make an effort to experiment with various genres.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Space Quest IV is my favourite space quest :3: When my bestie and I were young, we liked the narrator and roger's voices so much that we recorded ourselves playing 3 and 5 with him and I doing our impressions of them.

I can still do an impression of the narrator and remember almost word for word the narrators lines from V :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

TLG: Unlocked framerate with no PS4 Pro resolution or HDR support on unpatched disk. Brute-forced to 60fps on PS5 but lacking the above features and some settings/ bug fixes. Locked to 30fps after patches.

God of War: Unlocked framerate at 4K through PS4 Pro performance mode on the unpatched disk code. Brute forced to 60fps on PS5 but no New Game+ or bug fixes. 60fps 1080p available after the patches.

TLG res on ps5 is higher than 1080 tho