Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BGrifter posted:

TekSavvy has a petition up to lobby the CRTC to enforce their prior ruling around the big 3 gouging independent ISPs for access. It’s a form to fill out and it auto emails your MP basically saying WTF.

Intarwebs are too drat expensive in this country.

https://blogs.teksavvy.com/hey-crtc-start-2021-off-right-with-more-affordable-internet

Signed, glad to pester the parachute CPC candidate I didn't vote for in my riding but doubt she'll do SFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

priznat posted:

Signed, glad to pester the parachute CPC candidate I didn't vote for in my riding but doubt she'll do SFA.

Yeah mine just went into the spam filter of a CPC MP too. Still worth the few seconds it took.

It would be pretty hilarious if the CPC tried to use inflated internet prices as a cudgel against the Libs given how bad both parties have been on the issue. Last time they tried we got Harper in his favourite Christmas sweater talking about how much he likes to watch all his shows on The Netflix.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BGrifter posted:

TekSavvy has a petition up to lobby the CRTC to enforce their prior ruling around the big 3 gouging independent ISPs for access. It’s a form to fill out and it auto emails your MP basically saying WTF.

Intarwebs are too drat expensive in this country.

https://blogs.teksavvy.com/hey-crtc-start-2021-off-right-with-more-affordable-internet

I did my part.

Rogers delenda est

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress.

gently caress.

So moving in March to East Selkirk, Shaw apparently doesn't service there and now I have to pay the cancellation fees and also been paying for the monthly plan since Dec 1 cause they wouldn't pause the billing just in case they did.

Stuck with loving Bell for 2 years now.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Do they at least have fiber coverage there? I know the other side of the river has FTTP.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, forgot to mention - they do thankfully, getting the 500/500 plan. Hopefully in a couple years Shaw is here. Lots of new developments.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

All my family there is on Bell MTS and I don't think they've had any major issues. I never bothered to get them on Shaw while I worked there because I didn't want to deal with the questions or complaints, and they have a bundle plan with their cell phones anyways.

They're all on some variant of a 50Mbps plan or something which makes me go like, c'mon, you have FTTP, go nuts with it. I have no idea what the prices are like, although I can't imagine the cost:speed ratio is great with those lower-end plans.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 29, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I switched to Bell Fibe FFTH and to be frank it's been a pleasure. I think I've had maybe one service interruption and that's when a tree trimmer donked a cable this summer so that isn't even fair. Of course my prior experience was Cogeco cable and while it was FAIRLY stable over the twenty year period I was with them, at the end there we had a number of outages and I was ready to bail when the option presented itself.

The most annoying thing about Bell is that I can't just put their stupid modem into bridge mode because the Fibe TV is IPTV and relies on their networking sorcery. Yes I know I *can*, but I'm so incredibly uninterested in trying to mirror VLANs with my own equipment, and after the initial confusion of setting up with my own router behind theirs everything has worked splendidly.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I switched to Bell Fibe FFTH and to be frank it's been a pleasure. I think I've had maybe one service interruption and that's when a tree trimmer donked a cable this summer so that isn't even fair. Of course my prior experience was Cogeco cable and while it was FAIRLY stable over the twenty year period I was with them, at the end there we had a number of outages and I was ready to bail when the option presented itself.

The most annoying thing about Bell is that I can't just put their stupid modem into bridge mode because the Fibe TV is IPTV and relies on their networking sorcery. Yes I know I *can*, but I'm so incredibly uninterested in trying to mirror VLANs with my own equipment, and after the initial confusion of setting up with my own router behind theirs everything has worked splendidly.

What I did with my modem is leave it be, let the tv working, but told my gateway to authenticate itself to bell and get a routable IP. Basically bypassing it completely. Of course I am not using its WiFi or anything.

My network is mine and their tv and stuff is on theirs. No conflict, I haven't setup any vlans, nothing. It just works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh now that I look at it I think that's exactly what I did too; Looks like I'm talking nonsense here. Thanks!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

What I did with my modem is leave it be, let the tv working, but told my gateway to authenticate itself to bell and get a routable IP. Basically bypassing it completely. Of course I am not using its WiFi or anything.

My network is mine and their tv and stuff is on theirs. No conflict, I haven't setup any vlans, nothing. It just works.

Martytoof posted:

Oh now that I look at it I think that's exactly what I did too; Looks like I'm talking nonsense here. Thanks!

This works, but just FYI it isn't officially supported by Bell, and they have broken it with firmware updates to the HH3000 in the past. Some VPN software and certain types of IPv6 tunnels also make the HH3000 crash when this 'mode' is used.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You know, I like to poo poo on Telus as much as the next guy, but I have to admit their FTTH is pretty rock solid. Did a test for the first time in months and my 750/750 plan is giving me this.

e: 780 up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I’m paying $110/month (with tax) for the privilege, but their gigabit fibre is also very good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gently caress all of you i want fibre gdi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

My router is a bit of a bottleneck.

It costs way too much, but it's worth it for the upload.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's taken me a while to get my head around my internet connection being as fast as my Ethernet and when I'm out of the house I can still use the resources there like I do Netflix/YouTube etc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's pretty wild having clients who are also on Bell gigabit fibre and being able to do site-to-site transfers as if I'm on the LAN.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mediaphage posted:

gently caress all of you i want fibre gdi
Sorry my man.

infernal machines posted:

My router is a bit of a bottleneck.

It costs way too much, but it's worth it for the upload.
I thought of gigabit (I think I can get 1.5 here? but my 5e gets close to being maxed out with my connection as it is and to be honest, 750 is plenty, plenty fast enough for *anything* I do. In all reality, 150 is probably fine enough... but, you know.. :getin:
My promo ends at the end of this year, maybe I'll go gigabit then if the deal works out.

:lol: at 25/25 fibre

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I actually have the 1.5Gbit/940Mbit service because Bell wasn't doing 940/940 for residential for whatever reason. Their pricing here is lower than Telus' by about $30 for the gigabit+ services though. Of course the only way to actually get 1.5Gbit down is with one of a handful of EdgeMAX routers with a 2.5Gbit SFP port.

Still, I am more hopeful than ever for Toronto's ConnectTO initiative to do municipal GPON service

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm on a 2 year contract for 750 @ $80/month which includes unlimited (they try to charge you +$15 otherwise).

Basically the prices on the screenshot are the "list" prices, but call and bitch or threaten to move to Shaw who also services the area, and they'll cut you a deal. You just have to do it every 2 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That's pretty good then.

Bell is the only one offering GPON fibre in this neighbourhood and they know it. I had $90/mo. promotional pricing for the first year, and there's no contract, but it's like $120/mo. now.

In theory Rogers is expanding FTTH in Toronto but there's no timeline and it's impossible to ask a rep about it as they have no idea what you're talking about and will insist that their FTTN is the same thing.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

slidebite posted:

You know, I like to poo poo on Telus as much as the next guy, but I have to admit their FTTH is pretty rock solid. Did a test for the first time in months and my 750/750 plan is giving me this.

e: 780 up

Telus has the best network of anyone around, and so they should for the amount of money that people spend on it.

Doesn’t mean you should use telus though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bell is finally rolling out fibre in this area but I dunno if my town is gonna get it. I can't believe the first location to get it for this area is fuckin Grand Bank. The fools reselling Bell there have been billing ~5mbps DSL as "high speed" for years and now they are just calling the fibre "new high speed".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in fairness i have very fast cable but i would like actual uploads and the latency of fibre. there is both bell fibre and a very small amount of start-owned fibre in town, but neither is bribing it into our established neighbourhood.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Bell is finally rolling out fibre in this area but I dunno if my town is gonna get it. I can't believe the first location to get it for this area is fuckin Grand Bank. The fools reselling Bell there have been billing ~5mbps DSL as "high speed" for years and now they are just calling the fibre "new high speed".
lol a buddy of mine in Grand Bank was just telling me he got FTTH last month. He's WFH full time for a couple of years so it's a total bonus for him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got gigabit FTTH and I can't even saturate it since all my devices are WiFi. I'm living a life of excess.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am pretty sure the majority of mainstream customers that sign up for gigabit because it's faster are also on wireless.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I get 50% of my Rogers Internet and I'd still switch to Bell Fibre in a heart beat. Whenever it becomes available that is :smith:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Good luck. The Home Hub 3000 is such a piece of poo poo router I'm waiting until its dead and buried before I even look at Bell again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It is pretty awful but thankfully I haven't had to touch it since I got Fibe installed. Seems pretty easy to bypass it if your alternate router supports PPPoE

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Good luck. The Home Hub 3000 is such a piece of poo poo router I'm waiting until its dead and buried before I even look at Bell again.

You can just pull the SFP+ based ONT out of it and stick it in your own router if you don’t want to deal with the HH3000. Requires a bit of extra fiddling if you want TV to work as well, but otherwise simple steps.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Hmm, I haven't had problems with mine yet, but then again I live alone and I only have a PC, a phone and a nvidia shield connected to it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The only thing worse than the Home Hub 3000 is the Home Hub 2000, which they still provide to businesses with any of the Fibe branded services.

Holy poo poo those things are terrible the minute you have more than three or four devices connected. It's easy enough to replace them with a decent router since the ONT is just a separate box with an ethernet jack, but Bell has a habit of changing the PPPoE password if you contact support for any reason.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

What kind of pings do you guys get with your FTTH vs your old connections?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

To where?

Google.ca is 14ms for me right now

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

To where?

Google.ca is 14ms for me right now

Yah I was wondering more from a comparative thing, like what you used to get and what you get now, lets say, when playing your favourite game, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

On average, probably about 10ms lower to off network stuff than when I was on Rogers' gigabit cable. Anything on Bell's network is sub 10ms total though, which is handy because a bunch of my clients are on it too.

I haven't done online gaming in years, so I don't have a basis for comparison there.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It's kind of a dumb question. Your latency isn't comparable unless you tell what your current technology is.

To your first hop with fibre your latency should be 1ms.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

On average, probably about 10ms lower to off network stuff than when I was on Rogers' gigabit cable. Anything on Bell's network is sub 10ms total though, which is handy because a bunch of my clients are on it too.

I haven't done online gaming in years, so I don't have a basis for comparison there.

Thanks this is what I was curious about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Did you guys have to pay install fees for fibre with Bell/Telus? There's a fibre provider out in Western Manitoba but the install is about $600(lower if you have a bunch of neighbours with it too) and it's only 100/100 for $139.95/month.