Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rick_Hunter posted:

Is SDV wiki down again?

It was for me all morning, which made looking up luck stats a bit complicated.

I think it's the hosting changeovers at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but the gimmick with casks is you can technically put them anywhere but they only work in the basement.

I think the idea behind casks is for them to need to be in a dark, cool, underground place. In stardew terms, I think the Bus Tunnel applies in a videogamey way. Whether it's a bug or not, it's been in the game so long at this point I have to assume it was incorporated officially by now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are casks in any sense better than more kegs? It has always felt to me that less money a month earlier which can then be reinvested is significantly better than more money in a month. I admit I haven’t done the math though.

That’s never stopped me from making my share of vanity iridium wine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think the wiki has math for different wines and aging. The staples, starfruit/ancientfruit seem to be enough gold per day to be worthwhile, but really, I think if you're at the point of keg/cask empire, you're basically in the post-game stage where you're needing a million or so at a time for the final things to buy and the little golds don't matter as much. Outside of seeds when I don't have enough stockpiled, only thing I spend money on now is more wall decorations than I possibly can place while waiting for some kegs to cash out and bumrush the milly totems.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So after 3 years your game ends and you’re forced to start over? Or can you continue indefinitely?

I got the skull key from the mines, and I’ve saved up 15k or so at this point (I already bought the first backpack upgrade). I’m trying to decide if I should buy a coop, upgrade my house, or just invest it all in crops.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You can continue indefinitely.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Khanstant posted:

I think the idea behind casks is for them to need to be in a dark, cool, underground place. In stardew terms, I think the Bus Tunnel applies in a videogamey way. Whether it's a bug or not, it's been in the game so long at this point I have to assume it was incorporated officially by now.

casks don't work in the bus tunnel in vanilla. you can place them anywhere, but i don't think you can load them with any items unless they're placed in the cellar.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Psion posted:

i read the math on it and my eyes glazed over which means at least I can agree with the first part. That caveat about my math being wrong wasn't an idle one.

also what's up with that racoon in the south of Cindersap?

It’s a bear :ssh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
it's Trash Bear, and they are cool and good and real and my friend

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RCarr posted:

So after 3 years your game ends and you’re forced to start over? Or can you continue indefinitely?

I got the skull key from the mines, and I’ve saved up 15k or so at this point (I already bought the first backpack upgrade). I’m trying to decide if I should buy a coop, upgrade my house, or just invest it all in crops.

Nope, it's completely indefinite.

I personally like to diversify my farms, even if it's not optimal. I'd probably go for a coop and some chickens; with the mayonnaise machines you can turn their eggs into mayo which is a good steady source of income in the mid-game. But the first house upgrade is also pretty important, as it adds a kitchen.

Don't forget to befriend Linus as early as possible! He likes/loves basically all foraged items, and at three hearts he sends you the game's most useful recipe.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Nope, it's completely indefinite.

I personally like to diversify my farms, even if it's not optimal. I'd probably go for a coop and some chickens; with the mayonnaise machines you can turn their eggs into mayo which is a good steady source of income in the mid-game. But the first house upgrade is also pretty important, as it adds a kitchen.

Don't forget to befriend Linus as early as possible! He likes/loves basically all foraged items, and at three hearts he sends you the game's most useful recipe.

I don’t really understand how to befriend people. I’ve talked to Linus every day I feel like, but haven’t gotten anywhere from it. What else should I be doing?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I’ve gone into the game blind, and am trying not to look at the wiki.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

I don’t really understand how to befriend people. I’ve talked to Linus every day I feel like, but haven’t gotten anywhere from it. What else should I be doing?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I’ve gone into the game blind, and am trying not to look at the wiki.

Gift him some of the forage stuff you pick up - berries, grapes, roots, stuff like that. Just choose the item in your item bar (so it's showing over your head) and interact with him like you're talking to him. He'll say "This is a great gift, thanks!" if you've done it right.

You can give each character one gift a day, two days a week. At one point coffee was (is? I'm just getting back into the game myself) an item you could give almost anyone for a big boost in their friendship level, but I haven't gotten that far in my 1.5 farm yet.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RCarr posted:

Oh, I think talking to people only has a negligble impact on friend levels, you need to be giving people gifts. Select the item on your hotbar, and then when you hover over the person it'll change into a wrapped gift box icon. Right click on them, and you'll give them a gift. Maximum one gift per day, and two gifts per week, plus an extra that week on their birthday.

Don't forget to check the calendar outside Pierre's shop to see when people's birthdays are, as giving them a loved or liked birthday gift is a huge boost.

If you click the ♥ tab on the pause menu, you can see your friendship progression with each villager, along with how many gifts you've given them this week.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RCarr posted:

Gifts! Everyone in Stardew Valley is a materialist and loves to get stuff from you. Unless it's stuff they don't like.

Figuring out who likes what is sometimes pretty fiddly, and eventually the game starts dropping hints at you, but most of the choices make some vague sort of sense; even without looking at the wiki you can reasonably guess that Linus, the wild man who lives in the forest, probably likes getting foraged items - it's what he eats, after all, right? So stuff like leeks or hazelnuts or the like are generally a pretty good choice to gift to him.

Once you've given someone gifts there's a way to look at your gift log in the social tab, I think, where you can see what they liked and what they didn't, so you won't make the same mistake twice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

RCarr posted:

I don’t really understand how to befriend people.

honestly same though

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

maltesh posted:

Yes, that's up to 14 Casks per Milk you're getting in the barn. But what else are you keeping in the Deluxe Barn?

Uh...
*raises hand*
An- ... Animals?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I refuse to allow my animals to get drunk. Casks do not go in barns.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Atopian posted:

Uh...
*raises hand*
An- ... Animals?

*bzzt*

Oh, we're sorry, the answer we're looking for is, of course, "truffle oil makers."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Speaking of truffle oil makers, I realised on my latest save that I'd reached max foraging and thus only picked up iridium-quality truffles, but hadn't somehow picked up Artisan. Meaning that I was processing my truffles into truffle oil at a 250g loss per truffle :downs:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just sold a few sweet gem berries (like 5 maybe?) along with the rest of the assorted crops from my greenhouse and got $27k in one shipment :stare:

Normally I'm hitting around $7k, with blueberries, coffee beans, some hops and pale ale, if the kegs are ready. I was not expecting that much.

Now I can upgrade my unused barn for pigs :toot:

Is truffle oil worth it? I normally just sell the truffles themselves.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the amount of time it takes to make truffle oil and the amount of oil makers you'd probably need if you're picking up a lot of truffles is outweighed by the iridium quality solo selling, in my experience. Keep one around in case you want to make a rain totem though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Atopian posted:

Uh...
*raises hand*
An- ... Animals?

Plenty of room. I'm not sure if they even need o path to the door.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Mr. Podunkian posted:

casks don't work in the bus tunnel in vanilla. you can place them anywhere, but i don't think you can load them with any items unless they're placed in the cellar.

Just double checked and can confirm that casks DO NOT WORK in the Bus tunnel. Tried in 3 different spots and got the same message of "Only works in Cellar." Granted I'm running unmodded 1.5.4. so no idea if it's a mod that lets it work or not.

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://twitter.com/kee_fry/status/1354874336117727233?s=19

I definitely want that book, but I'll likely wait until the game is actually done being updated.

It’s a great book, I bought it after 1.4 as I thought it was the last possible update.

You may never get to buy it at this rate.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Haha wow the mussel rocks on the Island is an endless supply of Sashimi.

Question on the Golden Walnuts: Is there a finite number of them, or is it a "you can get an infinite number of them through the golden coconut and hitting rocks" thing?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Finite number. There is some up to 5 from doing X or whatever in there. And some flex between unlocking everything and the max number.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of Lewis earlier, who will take over as the mayor after he retires? We all know who is the most interested and will likely be the only one applying, but who would actually be good at it?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Poil posted:

Speaking of Lewis earlier, who will take over as the mayor after he retires? We all know who is the most interested and will likely be the only one applying, but who would actually be good at it?

Robin

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

She'd be good at it, but she's needed as the town's carpenter.

I think they should make Linus look like Lewis and pretend everything is normal. Like a 'Dave' situation.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Penny would do a good job. Maybe by that point Jas and Vincent would be old enough to not need her as a teacher and she'd have the free time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Weekend at Lewis'

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My lone ancient fruit plant has yielded me a few fruits. I turned those into seeds, turned two ancient seed artifacts into seeds, and now I'm sitting of five plantable seeds.

Last night I completed the greenhouse bundle.

I know where those seeds are going to be planted next time I pick up my Switch!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Congrats! Now you just need to decide how much of the greenhouse to turn into ancient fruit.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tylana posted:

Congrats! Now you just need to decide how much of the greenhouse to turn into ancient fruit.

Is "all of it" an acceptable plan?

I have a deluxe barn and coop, both filled with animals. I have a shed full of kegs, jars, mayo machines, and milk machines. I'm usually pulling in 8-20k per day from the shed endeavors.

I think going all in on ancient fruit for a bit could work nicely with the jars and kegs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tylana posted:

I was going to convert all of my greenhouse to that, but I actually want variety this time around. I initially filled it up with coffee, but I'm slowly getting rid of the coffee plants and replacing them with all sorts of crops. Now I have hops, green beans, blueberries, cranberries, ancient and sweet gem crops, two corn, and an eggplant. And whenever I find a strawberry seed, I'll be planting that, too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That question will soon become: How much of ginger island will you turn into ancient fruit?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wildtortilla posted:

Is "all of it" an acceptable plan?

I have a deluxe barn and coop, both filled with animals. I have a shed full of kegs, jars, mayo machines, and milk machines. I'm usually pulling in 8-20k per day from the shed endeavors.

I think going all in on ancient fruit for a bit could work nicely with the jars and kegs.

Yes. You’ll probably find other things you want to grow as you go along, but that’s an excellent starting point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

She'd be good at it, but she's needed as the town's carpenter.
like being mayor of a podunk town like pelican is more than 10 hours a week

lewis literally spends more time tending his lovely garden than he does collecting taxes and checking in with area businesses. robin could do both.

alternatively, caroline does it and uses the income stream to divorce pierre.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Saint Freak posted:

That question will soon become: How much of ginger island will you turn into ancient fruit?

If I could put Junimo Huts on the Island Farm, my answer would be higher than "0%"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The amount of times I’ve accidentally gifted something to someone is becoming overwhelming 😞