Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cacator posted:

I'm watching the Crown season 4 and the casting is superb so it will be interesting to compare the two Diana's.

Watch Personal Shopper, she's great in it. Fascinating movie.

3 Diana's, Elizabeth Debicki is taking over in The Crown next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Elizabeth Debicki is fantastic but I really wish Cynthia Erivo was getting as much high profile work. When I saw them both in Widows, and they were both loving incredible, I had a grim feeling that the white one was going to do better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Snowman_McK posted:

Elizabeth Debicki is fantastic but I really wish Cynthia Erivo was getting as much high profile work. When I saw them both in Widows, and they were both loving incredible, I had a grim feeling that the white one was going to do better.

She's certainly the more natural fit for Diana Spencer

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

She's at least 9 feet to tall to be a believable Diana.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Widows only came out three years ago. Since then Erivo had starring roles in two high-profile movies and a prestige HBO show, and two of those things she got high praise for (the third, Harriet, she was terrible in and was a terrible movie overall). Debicki by contrast has since Widows been in Tenet, the Virginia Woolf biopic that got critically and commercially buried, and an indie movie that got dumped into pandemic purgatory. If anything I think Erivo has had the better post-Widows career thus far.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Widows only came out three years ago. Since then Erivo had starring roles in two high-profile movies and a prestige HBO show, and two of those things she got high praise for (the third, Harriet, she was terrible in and was a terrible movie overall). Debicki by contrast has since Widows been in Tenet, the Virginia Woolf biopic that got buried, and an indie movie that got dumped into pandemic purgatory. If anything I think Erivo has had the better post-Widows career thus far.

I googled it after I typed that post and you are right, fair enough. I think it might have been confirmation bias from seeing Debicki mentioned more often.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

How did Debicki end up being typecast as "woman who's abused and/or killed"?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

How did Debicki end up being typecast as "woman who's abused and/or killed"?

She's got a renaissance painting face, the sort of painting where everything looks nice but there's a whole bunch of implied abuse and violence just below the surface of this tranquil domestic scene.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Chairman Capone posted:

Widows only came out three years ago. Since then Erivo had starring roles in two high-profile movies and a prestige HBO show, and two of those things she got high praise for (the third, Harriet, she was terrible in and was a terrible movie overall). Debicki by contrast has since Widows been in Tenet, the Virginia Woolf biopic that got critically and commercially buried, and an indie movie that got dumped into pandemic purgatory. If anything I think Erivo has had the better post-Widows career thus far.

She got 2 Oscar nominations for Harriet too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Cacator posted:

Watch Personal Shopper, she's great in it. Fascinating movie.

Seconding Personal Shopper. KStew is also great in Clouds of Sils Maria, but that's quite a different genre of movie, and definitely not just a one woman show either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1354893802360754181?s=20

Hear that? Movies are back baby!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Kristen Stewart is yet another actor who got into some lovely popular franchise and got punished for it but was actually good the whole time.

This happened to Robert Pattinson who is the 21st century Marlon Brando.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

can't wait for a series of 12 45-minute episodes that barely cover the first three issues

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

can't wait for a series of 12 45-minute episodes that barely cover the first three issues

They've already stated that the first season of 11 episodes is going to cover issues 1-18 of the comic. Also it isn't going to be a 1-1 adaptation as they're already doing that with the audio drama version.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are they gonna keep the other DC cameos?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They haven't said but if I had to guess I would say probably not. I could see them getting rid of the explicit references to avoid confusion. Interestingly enough this would change Morpheus' first trip to Hell because the whole triumvirate thing was a DC status quo mandate (which is why Lucifer kind of makes fun of it the next time the two characters meet.)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Thought it was an actual picture of Diana.

I'm insanely psyched for this because Pablo Larrain's 'Jackie' was one of my favorite films of the decade. So gorgeous and haunting.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

They haven't said but if I had to guess I would say probably not. I could see them getting rid of the explicit references to avoid confusion. Interestingly enough this would change Morpheus' first trip to Hell because the whole triumvirate thing was a DC status quo mandate (which is why Lucifer kind of makes fun of it the next time the two characters meet.)

they should have Peter Stormare cameo for shits and giggles

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The 'natural power point' of a given composition is not the center, but one of four points where the lines intersect on an invisible 3x3 grid.

When you locate that point in this image, it happens to be exactly where Kong's fist hits Godzilla's face.

Neat!

Edit: also, thanks everyone who pointed out more stuff. Esp. re. Kong's kong.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 29, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

they should have Peter Stormare cameo for shits and giggles

If you're going to go the crossover route, might as well have Tom Ellis as Lucifer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's probably a better thread for this but I don't know it. Rumor from last year is apparently getting revived as new

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/rumor-claims-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-remade-disney/

Because Disney is going to just retcon their 3+ billion dollar trilogy because nerds are mad at women

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wegotthiscovered is clickbait

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

wegotthiscovered is clickbait

Well yeah, they're reporting a thing a guy named DOOMCOCK blindly speculated on the internet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Giving the sequels the Dragon Ball GT treatment is probably the smartest move Disney can do, as they're a complete creative dead end. And anyone trying to blame it on angry incels is the most hilarious kind of idiot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Some people may have been mad about a woman being the lead, and I'm not being dismissive of that I just don't follow that kind of news, and there may have been some very talented people working hard on those movies, but yeah that whole series is just bankrupt, throw it out.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
SW fans did the same thing with the prequels. It just ain’t happening, and there’s no indication that it will happen except for the voices in DOOMCOCK’s head

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I guess I meant less that they should make any effort to invalidate the works than that they should make the next effort something different. Cannon, who cares? The movies can't stop existing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The real thing they're doing is just not make any more movies for a while. All their current Star Wars plans are for TV shows, three Mando spin offs, a prequel to Rogue One, post prequel trilogy Obi Wan, a couple of cartoons and one that they haven't given much info on.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Even if they threw out the sequel trilogy the next thing they make to replace it will just get destroyed by angry internet incels again. Its a no win scenario, Disney should just stick to doing side stories like the Mandalorian.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The real thing they're doing is just not make any more movies for a while. All their current Star Wars plans are for TV shows, three Mando spin offs, a prequel to Rogue One, post prequel trilogy Obi Wan, a couple of cartoons and one that they haven't given much info on.

Yeah, give it five or maybe seven years without SW movies and they will see themselves in the position to Finally, the Return of Star Wars!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

They are just not doing anything related to the sequel time period, instead mostly mining the pre-OT and post-OT eras where you can have classic stormtroopers be shot with classic lasers
Actively reworking/fixing sequels would have been silly and very George-like

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Right, it's a whole galaxy and they can just not make things that tie into one family burning down the universe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It kinda is true though, if you let things cool off for a while people aren't gonna be so hyper critical about what you eventually put out. That's the primary mistake they made, they just put out a whoooole bunch of movies really really fast and people started to get more discerning because it was like "ehhh, if this Star Wars isn't good I'll just skip it and catch the next one in 6 months".

Wait another 3-5 years and the hype will regenerate, regardless of the quality of the turd you eventually drop on them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing is that for all the complaining about the sequel trilogy it was Solo that killed the movies. After its lackluster performance they canned their movie slate and reworked those projects into TV shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The funny thing is that for all the complaining about the sequel trilogy it was Solo that killed the movies. After its lackluster performance they canned their movie slate and reworked those projects into TV shows.

If Solo was what killed them, ROS dug them up and put a stake in their heart. A lot of people thought Solo was a one-off misstep. There was nobody who thought more movies were a good idea after ROS.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Solo could have good if they had let Lord and Miller just do their thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddamn do I hate Solo for wasting so much potential. If they had just taken one or two plot points, it could have been fantastic, but instead it was 12 movies very poorly crammed into one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn do I hate Solo for wasting so much potential. If they had just taken one or two plot points, it could have been fantastic, but instead it was 12 movies very poorly crammed into one.

A Han and Chewie movie is such a no-brainer thing. I don't know how they hosed it up that badly. It didn't have to be an origin story. It didn't have to connect to anything important in the SW universe. It could have just been them going on a crazy adventure smuggling poo poo to make a buck.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose Oquendo posted:

A Han and Chewie movie is such a no-brainer thing. I don't know how they hosed it up that badly. It didn't have to be an origin story. It didn't have to connect to anything important in the SW universe. It could have just been them going on a crazy adventure smuggling poo poo to make a buck.

There's literally already a template for this in Star Wars Tales that was pretty fantastic, from the POV of a no-name Imperial Officer. Great climax too.

"They're not smuggling cargo... they were smuggling STARSHIPS!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Jose Oquendo posted:

It should’ve been an adaptation of that book where Han punches a giant otter