Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

(they aren't paying them. they're chaining them to trees and torturing them so they climb the tree to do work)

“Payment upon death, one (1) cessation of suffering” does fall in line with the basic inferred benefits package of Protestant Work Ethic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Forced Monkey Labor is the name of my post-ska/ebm hybrid band

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
forced and illegal monkey labor found roaming in Target

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i googled and read PETAs write up of the whole thing and it sounds like way more trouble than its worth. for the guys training monkeys to climb trees and pick coconuts i mean

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I trust monkeys to pick coconuts more than I trust them to pick tea leaves.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I trust monkeys not at all.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
A swarm of cats is a much better child.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tubgoat posted:

A swarm of cats is a much better child.

A swarm of cats puppetting a crocheted child costume.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
maybe the monkeys should reach out to their union rep about the poor working conditions

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/hackermaderas/status/1354659515938041861
Behind on thread but:
WE HAVE A MORAL IMPERATIVE TO BUILD KBOTS BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY WILL KILL LESS CIVILIANS THAN HUMANS.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Counterpoint: Jevons paradox applies to killbots

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
how long will it take to make 7.8 billion killbots? tia

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ql9286ryMJ1ut40me.mp4

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

a weapon to surpass metal gear

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

good thing the AI murder bots, whose decision making is programmed by humans, won’t make the same mistakes humans do

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Did we already post that Peter Watts story about the drone?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's good

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's the Peter Watts story about the drone?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

good thing the AI murder bots, whose decision making is programmed by humans, won’t make the same mistakes humans do

sorta depends on whether the machines are trained on datasets so they start to mimic or even learn to actually enjoy the act of intentionally targeting noncombatants and then shrugging and filling the "iunno, must have been a weapons malfunction" checkbox on the paperwork afterward?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

dataset trains the drone to kill 100% of its targets and allows an additional 20% unidentified/collateral deaths so it starts doing strikes only when its sure that itll kill extra people

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Farm Frenzy posted:

dataset trains the drone to kill 100% of its targets and allows an additional 20% unidentified/collateral deaths so it starts doing strikes only when its sure that itll kill extra people

Dataset of people killed by drone strikes is used for training, causing drones to bomb random brown people. Air Force pats itself on the back for a job well done because they were probably guilty of something or other.

Robots that take people out of the decision loop altogether are terrifying.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

withak posted:

What's the Peter Watts story about the drone?

I think it's this one? It's pretty good and contains minimal rape/torture/etc. unlike some of his other stuff so it's a nice read
https://rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_Malak.pdf

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

It's only January but I believe Time's person of the year will be "Chronically Online Weirdos".

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Armadillo Tank posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hackermaderas/status/1354659515938041861
Behind on thread but:
WE HAVE A MORAL IMPERATIVE TO BUILD KBOTS BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY WILL KILL LESS CIVILIANS THAN HUMANS.

Pro: we now kill zero people by mistake
Con: we're killing the same number of people, but all on purpose

e: like do people just not get that the best case for this is AI killbots that classify increasingly more people as legitimate targets over time the same way that soldiers and politicians do? the fact that it's a pile of linear algebra doing the classification instead of a pile of meat doesn't change the inputs and outputs.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Jan 29, 2021

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

silentsnack posted:

sorta depends on whether the machines are trained on datasets so they start to mimic or even learn to actually enjoy the act of intentionally targeting noncombatants and then shrugging and filling the "iunno, must have been a weapons malfunction" checkbox on the paperwork afterward?

you're anthropomorphising drones too much. they do not have the capacity to "enjoy" anything

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It's only January but I believe Time's person of the year will be "Chronically Online Weirdos".

You. Yes, you.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

turn on my monitor

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

redleader posted:

you're anthropomorphising drones too much. they do not have the capacity to "enjoy" anything
someone dig up that panel from Global Frequency with the guy who has a wire in his brain that simulates sexual pleasure when he kills people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Crazycryodude posted:

I think it's this one? It's pretty good and contains minimal rape/torture/etc. unlike some of his other stuff so it's a nice read
https://rifters.com/real/shorts/PeterWatts_Malak.pdf

yeah it's that one. it's good

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The first time an AI killbot responds to an order with "Uh, General, I'm not sure that's a legal target" will be it's last.

Not as if that's ever gonna happen, though. I have full confidence that the killbot coding teams will prefer brutal force algorithms.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redleader posted:

yeah they do enjoy things, neural nets have a reward function just like humans do

obviously you can't talk about what its like to experience the qualia of a neural net. but you also can't experience the qualia of a fellow human, so the point is moot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/cyberpunk-2077-devs-say-no-to-sexytime-with-keanu

quote:

CD Projekt Red have intervened to remove a Cyberpunk 2077 mod that allowed players to swap in Keanu Reeves' character, Johnny Silverhand, into the game's sex scenes. Made by "Catmino" on Nexus Mods, it allowed players to change the character models for joytoys (Cyberpunk's men and women of the night) to a variety of NPCs. But while CDPR are okay with players swapping these to other fictional characters, they say you can't use models with a real-world likeness without that person's permission.

"Our most important rule regarding user-generated content, game mods in particular, is that it can't be harmful towards others. In the case of model swaps, especially those that involve explicit situations, it can be perceived as such by the people who lent us their appearance for the purpose of creating characters in Cyberpunk 2077," CD Projekt Red told Eurogamer.

you're not allowed to mod in lovely cinemax level sex cutscenes into cyberpunk 2077. my immersion is ruined!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

yeah they do enjoy things, neural nets have a reward function just like humans do

obviously you can't talk about what its like to experience the qualia of a neural net. but you also can't experience the qualia of a fellow human, so the point is moot

Calling positive reinforcement programming loops "enjoyment" is... a misapplication of that term, or at least reducing it to near meaninglessness.

I will grant you that the effect is about the same. You can probably talk about neural net poo poo using behaviorist language without getting into too much trouble, but enjoyment is not a feature of behaviorism.

Applying psychology to AI is a pretty interesting field of thought but lends itself to sloppiness

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

redleader posted:

oh great, now even our killbots have clinical depression

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

redleader posted:

congrats on having a functioning absurdity spectrometer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

redleader posted:

Neither do we

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Oldest Man posted:

Neither do we

I like your posts!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

I like your posts!

sure you would lol you don-

*hand over mike, whispering* i know the subjunctive subject doesnt have theory of mind, but can we tweak the variables, get it a bit closer to passing at least?

um you don't even have your monitor on!! its thats what i said here

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I like your posts!

I have been incentivized to classify all posts as enemy combatants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/cyberpunk-2077-devs-say-no-to-sexytime-with-keanu

you're not allowed to mod in lovely cinemax level sex cutscenes into cyberpunk 2077. my immersion is ruined!!!

Basically guaranteeing theres gonna be a million crusty naked keanu mods floating around now because most regular people didnt even know this could be easily done, good job