Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

I'm not really sure if that's possible since Deem Bristow is dead, Tails was voiced by a literal child so he'd have to be replaced anyway, and Jon St John apparently hates doing the Big voice. Not sure what the rest of the old crew is up to these days though.'For example, is Ryan Drummond still doing voice acting work (also out of curiosity, is he related to Brian Drummond at all)?

Also Kirk Thornton is a good actor but I've never really been a fan of his Shadow voice, it sounds like he's trying too hard to be edgy when all he really needs to do is use his Saix voice from Kingdom Hearts.

You put more thought into my own conspiracy theory than I did to be honest. Ryan Drummond isn’t doing any major voice acting as far as I know but he would definitely come back if they offered him a normal, decent amount of money. If Sega were willing to pay union rates he would have gotten the job back in 2010, after all. That’s one reason I’m not sure they’ll be using Schwartz: Sega (and most other game companies) don’t pay their voice actors anywhere near union levels.

Agreed 1000% about Kirk btw. Though I think he did a decent job in Forces, but then again I only watched the story on YouTube once so maybe I’m remembering wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Eggman is his best when he's being a cartoon character instead of "psychotic monster" or whatever edgy poo poo that was in that comic panel. He's a big fat guy with a silly mustache who gets frustrated at a mischievous blue hedgehog, he's basically a Loony Toons villain.

As much as I hate to praise anything about Sonic Boom, his writing there was about as good as you could get, though it would have been better if the rest of the cast wasn't trying to Joss Whedon through each episode, and if Knuckles wasn't portrayed as being mentally challenged.

We had an edgy Robotnik, and we got rid of him when we got rid of Penders, and good loving riddance to him. The edgelord stuff helped to ruin Sonic Forces, though it was primarily the lackluster and laggy controls.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how do you read that comic page and not see anything cartoonish about it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironically the more slapstick oriented AoStH was probably the only western Sonic cartoon to get Eggman/Robotnik’s personality from the games (mostly) right. He’s a giant manchild with delusions of grandeur that occasionally gets serious when he has to.

Sonic was pretty on point in that series as well, he’s got a good heart but he’s also a tremendous snarky rear end in a top hat.

Out of curiosity, why is it that none of the western 90’s cartoons used Robotnik’s classic game outfit?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 29, 2021

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Larryb posted:

Ironically the more slapstick oriented AoStH was probably the only western Sonic cartoon to get Eggman/Robotnik’s personality from the games (mostly) right. He’s a giant manchild with delusions of grandeur that occasionally gets serious when he has to.

Sonic was pretty on point in that series as well, he’s got a good heart but he’s also a tremendous snarky rear end in a top hat.

Out of curiosity, why is it that none of the western 90’s cartoons used Robotnik’s classic game outfit?
For the same reason Kirby has angry eyes, I think. I believe Sega was pushing a "go with what works best in the region" for Sonic because they wanted him to compete with Mario, so for Japan they got game Eggman, and for english we got Ivo Robotnik designed by Milton Knight for the DiC cartoon that most western media wound up using.

Augus posted:

Yeah, it screams cartoonish mad scientist, which is what he is. Eggmans main goal, or at least was for a long while was "Make Eggmanland a Theme Park dedicated to myself" as
1. A testament to the glory and greatness that is Eggman.
2. The incarnation of his hatred towards Sonic. Which given Unleasheds Eggmanland level, yeah that's an accurate summation.

Even in the original games he's built a battle station in the Death Egg, conquered time in Sonic CD, and shoved animals into robots for his army. He's clearly someone goofy, but he's always done nutso things with very little concern for the end results (Except all those times he teams up with Sonic from like Adventure 2 to 06?)

I think the Sonic/Megaman crossover did a great contrast between Wily and Eggman. Wily wants to humiliate Dr. Light and prove himself superior, but he doesn't want to kill him, he just wants to rule the world and have everyone recognize his greatness. Eggman has no qualms about hurting people and their suffering is basically a direct result of him trying to achieve his goals.

That's what winds up causing them to betray each other.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Augus posted:

It looks and sounds very nice on PS5 but that’s pretty much where the positives end. I was in shock at how little substance there was to the gameplay, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop where the real game would start but it never happened. It’s a Nights game where you only walk around as a slow, clumsy child and never get to feel the exhilaration of flying

Pretty much this. It's honestly really strange how little there was to the gameplay with Balan being just a glorified qte mini game. More effort went into the cg intro and dancing cutscene than any of the gameplay.

Looks like there's some Nightopian/A-life stuff going on, but all you could do was feed them?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I want to believe that Square chose to have it release against MonHun so that director guy can blame MonHun for this game's inevitable failure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

For the same reason Kirby has angry eyes, I think. I believe Sega was pushing a "go with what works best in the region" for Sonic because they wanted him to compete with Mario, so for Japan they got game Eggman, and for english we got Ivo Robotnik designed by Milton Knight for the DiC cartoon that most western media wound up using.

Yeah, it screams cartoonish mad scientist, which is what he is. Eggmans main goal, or at least was for a long while was "Make Eggmanland a Theme Park dedicated to myself" as
1. A testament to the glory and greatness that is Eggman.
2. The incarnation of his hatred towards Sonic. Which given Unleasheds Eggmanland level, yeah that's an accurate summation.

Even in the original games he's built a battle station in the Death Egg, conquered time in Sonic CD, and shoved animals into robots for his army. He's clearly someone goofy, but he's always done nutso things with very little concern for the end results (Except all those times he teams up with Sonic from like Adventure 2 to 06?)

I think the Sonic/Megaman crossover did a great contrast between Wily and Eggman. Wily wants to humiliate Dr. Light and prove himself superior, but he doesn't want to kill him, he just wants to rule the world and have everyone recognize his greatness. Eggman has no qualms about hurting people and their suffering is basically a direct result of him trying to achieve his goals.

That's what winds up causing them to betray each other.

To be fair, in most of the times he teams up with Sonic it’s mostly about saving his own rear end. After all, how can he conquer the world if there is no world left to conquer/he’s dead?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 29, 2021

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, you would think there would be a better way to power robots than stuffing small animals into them. Like, literally anything else, but Eggman made it work somehow. That's him in a nutshell: he's a hard-working genius who is too vain and stubborn to do anything sensible. He has to do everything he does in all these crazy, egomaniacal ways, because then how will anyone know how much smarter he is than they are? He doesn't really ever consider the consequences of his actions because he's so supremely confident in his own abilities.
His malevolence is largely incidental: he just doesn't care about petty things like the environment, ethics, other people, etc. because they get in the way of him showing off his rad toys and his superior intellect. He hates Sonic because Sonic wrecks his poo poo and beats him, and he's probably progressively driven mad by the cognitive dissonance caused by losing all the time.

Though he, at the very least, is much more creative in his schemes than Dr. Wily. Wily is generally more practical and straightforward.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Augus posted:

It's cartoonish, but it also sounds like something a 14-year-old would come up with when asked to come up with a punishment worse than death without using violence.

Eggman doesn't do "subtle" punishments, he goes on bloviating rants and shouts and generally has tantrums and neurotic breakdowns. How do I know this?

Because I am Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, and I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Balan Wonderworld is an unreleased budget PS2 platformer that would have been lucky to receive a non-commital 70% from maybe three outlets back in the day, which someone has dug up and blown the cobwebs off of.

Also whoever decided that all the buttons should select things in the menu and have no back button at all is going to hell, and no amount of good deeds will save them now.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Man, Eggman having basically a team of Mega man X maverick bosses for underlings was such a neat idea that I still get annoyed I'm not gonna get to see how it all would have played out.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sonic Colors had amazing, SatAm-style cutscenes in a story that, I feel, characterized Sonic, Tails, and Eggman perfectly. Eggman is both competent and incompetent at the same time. Also, his announcements are hilarious. Meanwhile, Sonic and Tails interact like they're siblings, with Sonic being full of himself and impulsive, while Tails is the brains of the outfit.

This is a game where one of the most dramatic scenes (Eggman develops a ray that controls Tails, almost forcing Sonic to fight his best friend!) is ended immediately because Eggman runs out of mind control juice.

That, combined with Sonic's voice acting and the game itself being actually good, gave me a lot of hope for the series.

It is obviously the blueprint for the Boom cartoon series.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 29, 2021

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also whoever decided that all the buttons should select things in the menu and have no back button at all is going to hell, and no amount of good deeds will save them now.

Oh yeah I forgot about this, it's truly bizarre. The game is coming out in about 2 months so yeah I doubt there's any salvaging this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mike Pollock will be replaced by Jim Carrey. Roger Craig Smith will also be replaced by Jim Carrey.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

Mike Pollock will be replaced by Jim Carrey. Roger Craig Smith will also be replaced by Jim Carrey.

Not sure if Carrey would be willing to slum it in the video game/cartoon industry (unless he’s done it before, I forget).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
As long as i'm thinking about this franchise have they given a reason for not putting out a notable Sonic title in the last 4 years or so?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Carrey wouldn't even do sequels to his biggest movies at the height of his career.

But then again he did slum it as Biden on SNL the last few months.

Jim Carrey is a land of contrasts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Carrey has already expressed interest in doing a sequel for Sonic. He also wants to wear a fat suit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They also announced a Robotnik spinoff movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Sonic movie sequel has already been confirmed at this point (I think he came back for Ace Ventura 2 as well). Carrey’s Robotnik was probably at its best near the end of the film so I look forward to him getting a chance to really ham it up in the sequel.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They also announced a Robotnik spinoff movie.

Wait, what? Have a source on this?

Edit: Here we go:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/paramount-reportedly-doctor-robotnik-sonic-spinoff-jim-carrey/amp/

Also Knuckles will apparently be appearing in the aforementioned movie sequel as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 29, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Caidin posted:

As long as i'm thinking about this franchise have they given a reason for not putting out a notable Sonic title in the last 4 years or so?

They've confirmed Sonic titles plural for this year, as it's the thirtieth anniversary, but the last mainline title was so undercooked that they released it for a budget price and only allowed a one minute demo, so I'd like to think they took a bit of time to consider what they were doing with the franchise and maybe polish up whatever they're currently making.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I would take any rumor from We Got This Covered and/or Daniel Richtman with a grain of salt.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I would take any rumor from We Got This Covered and/or Daniel Richtman with a grain of salt.

Well Knuckles at least was already confirmed by other sources a while back but I’m not sure about the Robotnik movie.

The last Sonic game I remember was Team Sonic Racing in 2019, though that was less of a mainline title and more a 3D spiritual sequel to the Sonic Drift games on Game Gear.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 29, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Caidin posted:

we got the double whammy of forces and mania, then a racing game and olympics game, then we got a pandemic

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh drat, I didn't realize the source was We Got This Covered. They straight up make poo poo up.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Caidin posted:

Forces was the last internal title developed before the “take as much time as needed to make it not suck” policy Sega said they now have with Sonic games took effect, so presumably they’re just taking their time with whatever’s next.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

turns out the time needed to make a not-bad sonic game is approximately "a lot"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know if Sega considers Sonic games a direct competition for Mario games anymore, but they really should have looked at how long it took to make Mario games and thought to emulate that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know if Sega considers Sonic games a direct competition for Mario games anymore, but they really should have looked at how long it took to make Mario games and thought to emulate that.

If SEGA started treating all their employees like Nintendo then maybe all the people they hired for Unleashed wouldn't be working there.

The Olympics games let them headhunt the best talent. Iizuka has no idea because he never got asked.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Has anybody actually played the "At the Olympics" games? My 4 year old is going crazy for Sonic, and that looks like it could be a really silly fun time, or it could just be an absolute cash-in slog.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not many companies that aren’t Nintendo can afford to do that, unfortunately. And while Sonic might be Sega’s Mario in terms of being a mascot, he’s not their most popular franchise anymore and he only has appeal in the West. I want them to go all out and treat Sonic the way Nintendo treats Mario but it’s not all that feasible unfortunately.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played the 2008 one on Wii and it was excellent. It's more or less just a lot of sports minigames, but well polished ones. It was just underwhelming that the big Mario/Sonic crossover I dreamed of as a kid ended up being that rather than a platformer of some sort.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Has anybody actually played the "At the Olympics" games? My 4 year old is going crazy for Sonic, and that looks like it could be a really silly fun time, or it could just be an absolute cash-in slog.

While I’ve only played the original one for Wii, I’ve heard the recent ones are decent mini game collections. He’ll probably like them a lot, though some of the games might be hard for him if you don’t show him the controls.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

That loving Sned posted:

If SEGA started treating all their employees like Nintendo then maybe all the people they hired for Unleashed wouldn't be working there.

The Olympics games let them headhunt the best talent. Iizuka has no idea because he never got asked.

Is that a statement that the people who made unleashed now work for Nintendo or that Unleashed should never have been made?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic Adventure came out 4 years after Sonic and Knuckles since they needed a lot of time to figure out that whole 3D thing. Then Adventure 2 was a healthy 3 years after that. You can see an immediate shift to more frequent releases of 3D Sonic game right after that, when Sega stopped being a console manufacturer and Sonic stopped being a flagship series, with titles coming out 2 years apart from each other or even only 1 year.

Something clearly went wrong with the development of 3D Sonic after Lost World. Forces came out 4 whole years afterwards and yet felt less polished or substantial than any of the 2-year games they'd been putting out since Unleashed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Augus posted:

Sonic Adventure came out 4 years after Sonic and Knuckles

This is absolutely blowing my mind.

There was a scrapped Sega Saturn Sonic X-Treme in between, and then late in the Saturn's life Sonic Jam was released using animations that would go on to be used in Sonic Adventure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSAIyXJUdE

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Augus posted:

Sonic Adventure came out 4 years after Sonic and Knuckles since they needed a lot of time to figure out that whole 3D thing. Then Adventure 2 was a healthy 3 years after that. You can see an immediate shift to more frequent releases of 3D Sonic game right after that, when Sega stopped being a console manufacturer and Sonic stopped being a flagship series, with titles coming out 2 years apart from each other or even only 1 year.

Something clearly went wrong with the development of 3D Sonic after Lost World. Forces came out 4 whole years afterwards and yet felt less polished or substantial than any of the 2-year games they'd been putting out since Unleashed.

Given the majority of the team on Forces were newbies who'd never touched the series or game dev in general from their credits. I think it was a case of no one at Sega really caring about Forces as a project, but feeling obligated to do it, and thus giving it to new-hires to cut their teeth.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I know Forces is probably rightly not considered a strong entry but whatever they do wind up announcing I hope they let you make an Original the Character again.

I liked the avatar thing. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
At the very least I hope they keep level music with vocals like they had for the avatar. I missed that in Sonic games.