Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I kind of hate the water physics in Dragon Quest Builders 2. I don't like having a single square with no water in the middle of a pond because all the water sources have reached their limits, that's kind of ridiculous. And then trying to fill in that square sometimes results in a second layer of water being added on top which makes it too high.

The second town is a lot more fun than farming, since it involves way more building of houses, but yeesh, so many gay/crossdressing jokes, and horny golems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Homora Gaykemi posted:

shame to hear. was hoping it was going to wind up a Billy Hatcher level rough but charming game :/

it's really weird how much the game is trying to be a throwback to Nights with its story and aesthetic but not even remotely with its gameplay. its just really slow and boring and there's no depth to it at all

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

it's really weird how much the game is trying to be a throwback to Nights with its story and aesthetic but not even remotely with its gameplay. its just really slow and boring and there's no depth to it at all

they should've just let Ohshima direct given they already had him there lol

if they'd just had Naka on as a producer and let someone else direct we might've got something decent and conceptually interesting even if not great like the Wii version of Rodea. though maybe the project only exists at all because Naka was driving it, idk, haven't looked too much into the development story

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I kind of hate the water physics in Dragon Quest Builders 2. I don't like having a single square with no water in the middle of a pond because all the water sources have reached their limits, that's kind of ridiculous. And then trying to fill in that square sometimes results in a second layer of water being added on top which makes it too high.

The second town is a lot more fun than farming, since it involves way more building of houses, but yeesh, so many gay/crossdressing jokes, and horny golems.

I love my miner friends

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the contrast between the crossdressing bits in ff7r and recent dragon quest games is stark

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok, gamer to gamer, I need a scheme to play Bowser's Fury at a low price. I still have 3D World on Wii-U, I just wanna play the new Fury thing, so for me it's not really a good buy as is on Switch.

I just looked and apparently GameFly still exists. I imagine the wait would be long for something like Bowser's Fury on switch. Also, I wonder if shipping those cartridges in an envelope would be more likely to be damaged than a disc or what.

There's a 10 dollars off the game in the deals thread, but 50 is still a bit rich for a relatively brief add-on, from such a big company. I'm gonna say it, I think Mario should be a bit more democratically sociable here.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dabir posted:

Just finished 3D Land's special worlds with all the star medals and yellow flagpoles, picked up enough dupe medals from respawned bonus stages along the way to round me out to a nice 300. Very fun game, but I felt the back half of the special worlds leaned a bit too hard on the time limit maintenance and shadow Mario chase gimmicks. Just noticed that the game also tracks whether you've beaten a level with Mario, Luigi or both so I might have to talk myself out of running through to mark both characters off on all of them. Really looking forward to 3D World now.

Beating all the levels with both chars unlocks the final challenge level...it's really a needless pain to even get there. Fortunately without needing star medals or gold flags, you can breeze through most levels.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Heavy Metal posted:

Ok, gamer to gamer, I need a scheme to play Bowser's Fury at a low price. I still have 3D World on Wii-U, I just wanna play the new Fury thing, so for me it's not really a good buy as is on Switch.

I just looked and apparently GameFly still exists. I imagine the wait would be long for something like Bowser's Fury on switch. Also, I wonder if shipping those cartridges in an envelope would be more likely to be damaged than a disc or what.

There's a 10 dollars off the game in the deal's thread, but 50 is still a bit rich for a relatively brief add-on, from such a big company. I'm gonna say it, I think Mario should be a bit more democratically sociable here.

Buy it used from gamestop and return inside 7 days?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Len posted:

Buy it used from gamestop and return inside 7 days?

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. It feels like the gamer equivalent of going to a loan shark, could get dicey, but it is for Mario.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. It feels like the gamer equivalent of going to a loan shark, could get dicey, but it is for Mario.

It's Gamestop they deserve it and also may or may not be rich now?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Homora Gaykemi posted:

shame to hear. was hoping it was going to wind up a Billy Hatcher level rough but charming game :/
drat, the theme popped in my head immediately, good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgFJKtVCi0

Augus posted:

From skimming a video it looks like they really liked the bad part of Nights and decided to make a full game of it without the distraction of the fun good part of Nights.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

japtor posted:

From skimming a video it looks like they really liked the bad part of Nights and decided to make a full game of it without the distraction of the fun good part of Nights.

The actual Nights sequel back on Wii doubled down on the bits where you run around as the kids too, it just remembered to actually have some Nights segments as well

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

There's a 10 dollars off the game in the deals thread, but 50 is still a bit rich for a relatively brief add-on, from such a big company. I'm gonna say it, I think Mario should be a bit more democratically sociable here.

Buy it used for $45-55, play it, sell it again for $45-55.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ColdPie posted:

Buy it new at walmart for $50, play it, sell it again for $45-55.

This route seems easier than hunting around for a low priced used copy. Plus you get to lick the cart first

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Super No Vacancy posted:

the contrast between the crossdressing bits in ff7r and recent dragon quest games is stark

I will never not smile when thinking of "Nailed it, I know. Thank you. Moving on."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ColdPie posted:

Buy it used for $45-55, play it, sell it again for $45-55.

It's not for everyone but I buy and sell a lot on apps like OfferUp.

It takes some patience and dealing with seriously some of the stupidest people you've ever met but if I don't break even on a Nintendo game, I can sometimes turn a profit.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Morpheus posted:

I will never not smile when thinking of "Nailed it, I know. Thank you. Moving on."

FF7R is a mess but there are absolutely parts that they knocked out of the park and this is easily top 3

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I seem to be having issues with this 8bitdo SN30 pro - can it turn on the Switch? Why is it so hard to turn the controller on unless I am doing something and/or spoiled by the joycons letting you press any button? Once it gets going it is fine but it is nowhere near as simple to get up and going as the joycons. I've had it for a couple days and really regret buying it right now.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Vintersorg posted:

I seem to be having issues with this 8bitdo SN30 pro - can it turn on the Switch? Why is it so hard to turn the controller on unless I am doing something and/or spoiled by the joycons letting you press any button? Once it gets going it is fine but it is nowhere near as simple to get up and going as the joycons. I've had it for a couple days and really regret buying it right now.

It can't turn on the system, I don't think any third party controllers can. Once it's paired all you have to do is press start to turn it on.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd go with Gamefly Elite. They let you "Gamelock" a title before release to guarantee you get it soon after release.

quote:

GameLock is the newest enhancement to the GameFly rental process, allowing members to guarantee an upcoming title by “LOCKING” it in their Q. Think of it as guaranteeing the one game you absolutely want to play. When you GameLock a title, you are reserving that game to be shipped to you ON RELEASE DAY. Titles are available to be “Locked” 6 weeks prior to release for Standard (All-Access) Game Plans, or 1 week for Elite 2-Disc plan. We then rely on you to return one of your rentals, so that we have an open slot for your GameLock game. Currently released games are not eligible for GameLock.

If you timed it right, you could probably get and beat the whole thing during a free trial.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dabir posted:

Just finished 3D Land's special worlds with all the star medals and yellow flagpoles, picked up enough dupe medals from respawned bonus stages along the way to round me out to a nice 300. Very fun game, but I felt the back half of the special worlds leaned a bit too hard on the time limit maintenance and shadow Mario chase gimmicks. Just noticed that the game also tracks whether you've beaten a level with Mario, Luigi or both so I might have to talk myself out of running through to mark both characters off on all of them. Really looking forward to 3D World now.

I felt the same way about this game, including the criticisms. One could see that they were short on ideas towards the end, but I softened when I realised later that the game was essentially a proof of concept for the idea of making a 2D Luigi game in 3D

Heavy Metal posted:

Can someone link this? I'm not subscribed to that thread.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 29, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TheManWithNoName posted:

It can't turn on the system, I don't think any third party controllers can. Once it's paired all you have to do is press start to turn it on.

Unfortunately you can also hold start to turn it off, which makes throwing less than the maximum amount of coins at Toads in Origami King an interesting experience.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Vintersorg posted:

keep a joycon nearby to turn the system on. No third party controllers can power on the Switch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The beating levels with every character thing was easier in 3D World since it had multiplayer and you could just connect three extra controllers right at the end. It was good for me because I really hate playing as Peach or any other character that can hover.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

The beating levels with every character thing was easier in 3D World since it had multiplayer and you could just connect three extra controllers right at the end. It was good for me because I really hate playing as Peach or any other character that can hover.

There had to be someone I guess

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

No third party controllers can power on the Switch

Is there a difference between "power on" and "wake from sleep mode"? I'm thinking about picking up a 2nd controller and would love to avoid the steep price of a Pro Controller, but my main goal is to keep the Joy Cons in the Ring Fit configuration and use the 2nd controller from the couch.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nope. Once the system is off (sleep mode or otherwise) you need a controller licensed from Nintendo to wake it up without physically pressing the button.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
the SN30 pro is a drat nice controller. i appreciate that it feels like it was built with an adult's hands in mind.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a difference between "power on" and "wake from sleep mode"? I'm thinking about picking up a 2nd controller and would love to avoid the steep price of a Pro Controller, but my main goal is to keep the Joy Cons in the Ring Fit configuration and use the 2nd controller from the couch.

I've heard reports of too much uninterrupted left joycon in the leg strap has led to stick drift down the line

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I love the SN30 Pro and it's my go-to over the Switch Pro controller. I wish the sticks were a liiitle bigger/further apart like a DS4 but other than that it's perfect. I've been playing the Mega Man collections and the dpad is just so much better.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

I've heard reports of too much uninterrupted left joycon in the leg strap has led to stick drift down the line

all joycon usage leads to stick drift down the line

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Do Pro Controllers have drift problems?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Chin Strap posted:

Not to be that guy but using any joycon for anything leads to stick drift down the line.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I use a third-party long stick to turn my Switch on from across the room.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JustJeff88 posted:

I felt the same way about this game, including the criticisms. One could see that they were short on ideas towards the end, but I softened when I realised later that the game was essentially a proof of concept for the idea of making a 2D Luigi game in 3D

Can someone link this? I'm not subscribed to that thread.

Enter walmart > buy game

They have every switch title at $10 off day of release

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

I use a third-party long stick to turn my Switch on from across the room.

setting up an elaborate rube goldberg machine that removes the switch from the dock and puts it in my hands and vice versa without me having to get up or stretch my arms

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lester Shy posted:

Every analog controller eventually suffers from a stick issue.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lester Shy posted:

Yes. My joycon and pro controller both started around the same time, 2 years after purchase. The pro controller isn't easily fixable without soldering irons, however you can blast contact cleaner into the base of the joystick and it seems to do the trick. A goon suggested it to me and its been fine ever since, so even though its obviously a temporary fix its a pretty good one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is anecdotal obviously but the joy-cons that I got with the system have drifted to hell and back but the Pro Controller I also got with the system which I've probably used several times as much (I both prefer to play in docked mode and also used it as my primary PC controller for a while until I got the DualSense recently) has never had a single issue

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Artix posted:

Nope. Once the system is off (sleep mode or otherwise) you need a controller licensed from Nintendo to wake it up without physically pressing the button.

This is no longer accurate.