Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I used to work in a print shop so my help is way useless because you're probably not using this thing to print 2000+ church booklets, but if you're going to be printing a LOT you might wanna look into one of those printer rental services with the maintenance rolled into the price. If you're just printing like a normal person please disregard my bullshit. I am very excited this is becoming a thing

also for once my avatar is relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I used to work in a print shop so my help is way useless because you're probably not using this thing to print 2000+ church booklets, but if you're going to be printing a LOT you might wanna look into one of those printer rental services with the maintenance rolled into the price. If you're just printing like a normal person please disregard my bullshit. I am very excited this is becoming a thing

also for once my avatar is relevant

my last printer cost a similar amount and lasted like 14 loving years, it's just been moved too much now, and the panels dont click together anymore and it prints like one page then jams

e: Im sure i'll only be printing like maybe 100 pages a month

my old canon held up since college so it's gunna be sad when she goes into the dumpster

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Jan 18, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Plinkey posted:

starting the process of setting up a legit 501-3(c) I have a meeting with a lawyer on monday, so some of the goonbucks might need to go towards that, it's been a long time coming

that's great to hear; once this is completed, would it enable you to take donations directly to the 501-3c and cut Patreon out of the loop? I assume this also simplifies tax stuff on your end?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

that's great to hear; once this is completed, would it enable you to take donations directly to the 501-3c and cut Patreon out of the loop? I assume this also simplifies tax stuff on your end?

No idea, I have no idea what a recurring payment system costs, and really wouldn't have to deal with managing data like CC numbers and stuff, so this is TBD.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Plinkey posted:

No idea, I have no idea what a recurring payment system costs, and really wouldn't have to deal with managing data like CC numbers and stuff, so this is TBD.

It's kind of a big pain in the rear end unfortunately. Your options are either:
Traditional payment gateway (Stripe, Chase, etc):
- Charge once, retain either PPI or a token/vault key
- Make/find your own middleware to charge person (x) on day (y) for amount (z) using the above
- Pay out the rear end for processing fees

Subscription specific services (Recurly, Chargify, etc):
- Charge once, not be on the hook for PPI
- Third party keeps track of who, when, and how much to charge
- Pay out the rear end for SaaS fees
- Possibly pay out the rear end for processing fees

Some will require a merchant account, some won't. I'm not as up on the specific SaaS ones but they are generally the same.

Patreon is actually offering a useful service here, both in terms of reputation, and collating the money. I think it depends on how much you want to get away from them.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

crowdfunding platforms generally cut breaks for nonprofits and there's no doubt many companies out there specifically for 501s to collect money at varyingly low fees

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

any way to set up a bank account and use zelle? that's zero fee but only uses accounts and not cards

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I would suggest that the existing subscriber base would be likely enough to miss a change that you’d lose more money from moving than you’d save from fees.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whoops

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am really about to incorporate a non-profit called 'GoonFund'

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Plinkey posted:

youre doing goon work

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

Not paid he says :catbert:

(just kidding, thanks for your hard work plinkey :glomp: )

Also, how terrible was the process of making the whole thing official? I may have to do that for a similar fund soon.

lol those cost me like $120 to get printed nice and framed

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plinkey posted:

lol those cost me like $120 to get printed nice and framed

lmao good point :retrogames:

Plinkey posted:

:toot:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

lmao good point :retrogames:

very good work though,

I have them hanging behind my desk, and a new guy at work asked if i was into CW generals, or the Napoleonic wars, and history, and i was like 'uh no, those are my cats'

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Does the paperwork involve cheezers

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plinkey posted:

I have them hanging behind my desk, and a new guy at work asked if i was into CW generals, or the Napoleonic wars, and history, and i was like 'uh no, those are my cats'

lmao I'm glad theyre doing their job confusing people

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

Does the paperwork involve cheezers

probably will today

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Plinkey posted:

Hell ya

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hey friends. i dont post in cspam really but i happened to see this thread and i think its a great idea. backed the patreon and glad we have something going to help eachother out. love u all

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Plinkey posted:

probably will today

Cheezer wrapped in nonprofit entity paperwork, very fashionable

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

queeb posted:

hey friends. i dont post in cspam really but i happened to see this thread and i think its a great idea. backed the patreon and glad we have something going to help eachother out. love u all

:)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Plinkey posted:

Proud of you, Plinkey. You leapt the hoops and have done good works. I look forward to contributing officially.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

subbed to the patreon with the money I made off gambling my unemployment check from Econ thread advice :cheers: the system works, hope it helps even a little bit

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

In Training posted:

subbed to the patreon with the money I made off gambling my unemployment check from Econ thread advice :cheers: the system works, hope it helps even a little bit

Game stop evictions

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Hi, I more lurk than post in this neck of the woods, but I just sent in my sob story about my sick cat and I know this is normally for people food but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :shobon:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

neongrey posted:

Hi, I more lurk than post in this neck of the woods, but I just sent in my sob story about my sick cat and I know this is normally for people food but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :shobon:

It can be for pet food too :)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

neongrey posted:

its for goons that need help! you're in the right place

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I love what this thread is about a whole lot.

Thank you goons.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I was referred here from the GBS COVID-19 thread and just wanted to say I love you guys for all of the hard work you do and a big push up for the goon community as a whole.

As pathetic as it sounds this forum community has been a very significant influence in my life and how I think about things.

My personal life is in tatters right now just like a lot of you due to the virus and over 870k dollars in medical bills for 2019 that blue cross blue shield says I owe like 20k for and many other fun filled twists and turns from being a hemophiliac, sufferer of mental illness, recovering addict, and other physical health problems and I’m doing the best I can here but I’m absolutely terrible with money and I’ve been trying to get the US and MS state governments to help me but it is very hard right now to navigate and actually receive the help.

I was advised to email Plinkey about this and post here so I did. if there is anything I could do to help in return through services or labor I would be more than willing to put in as much time and effort needed to help this noble cause.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

That amount of money is unreal, Randabis. I don't know if this is relevant since it pertains mostly to hospital care, but I saw this guy's tiktok floating around last week:

https://www.tiktok.com/@dollarfor/v...181003106340102

He never name-drops his nonprofit that I can see but maybe you can still DM for more specialized help?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Randabis posted:

I was referred here from the GBS COVID-19 thread and just wanted to say I love you guys for all of the hard work you do and a big push up for the goon community as a whole.

As pathetic as it sounds this forum community has been a very significant influence in my life and how I think about things.

My personal life is in tatters right now just like a lot of you due to the virus and over 870k dollars in medical bills for 2019 that blue cross blue shield says I owe like 20k for and many other fun filled twists and turns from being a hemophiliac, sufferer of mental illness, recovering addict, and other physical health problems and I’m doing the best I can here but I’m absolutely terrible with money and I’ve been trying to get the US and MS state governments to help me but it is very hard right now to navigate and actually receive the help.

I was advised to email Plinkey about this and post here so I did. if there is anything I could do to help in return through services or labor I would be more than willing to put in as much time and effort needed to help this noble cause.

y'know, with that much spent in medical bills, wouldn't it have been better to move (even temporarily) to a country with proper healthcare?
Mind you, 2020 was the hell year of hell, corona made going to the doctor for anything other than 'rona almost impossible.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Randabis posted:

and other physical health problems and I’m doing the best I can here but .

I'm sorry dude. Best of luck getting help. However, I was messing around on imgur the other day and came across something that might be relevant - I don't know your situation - but it pertains to hospitals and charity care. Here's the gallery and the twitter

https://imgur.com/gallery/3TYluGI
https://twitter.com/DareBear1226/status/1350511629977452547

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skyl3lazer posted:

It can be for pet food too :)

and sometimes it's for requesting 15k worth of furniture :3:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

I'm sorry dude. Best of luck getting help. However, I was messing around on imgur the other day and came across something that might be relevant - I don't know your situation - but it pertains to hospitals and charity care. Here's the gallery and the twitter

https://imgur.com/gallery/3TYluGI
https://twitter.com/DareBear1226/status/1350511629977452547

gently caress me, maybe I should go get all those things I ignored a decade ago checked out

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I run the Game Room's CYOA community discord and several members told me about Plinkey's astonishingly good work and to email him/come post here because of my present situation. It's nothing like Randabis' woes (holy poo poo duder, feel better, I hope things look up for you in the near future).

I'll just go ahead and copy/paste the explanation of my situation that I sent Plinkey. My dad told me a while back that if my family didn't have bad luck we'd have no luck at all.

My girlfriend (also a lurking goon, love did indeed blossom over the interwebs and I moved to the US to be with her in 2004) was diagnosed with advanced congestive heart failure and COPD a few years ago, and shortly after that we were forced to move from her longtime home in a farmhouse in rural IL because the landlord had let it sort of just kinda fall apart after her husband (the original landlord) died. We then had to move another six months after that because the small apartment we’d moved into was in a building infested with roaches and with her being immunocompromised thanks to steroid medications, I was taking no chances. Unfortunately, the landlord of the place we then moved to turned out to be a total slumlord, who’d never put waterproof shower surrounds in either our apartment or the one above it, so there was black mold behind the walls and it led to my girlfriend getting progressively sicker over the past two years. This is on top of the upstairs neighbour flooding our bathroom nine times during the two years we were there. I was able to get her moved to a new place as of Xmas, and she’s already doing much better, but several issues have come up that have me pretty much hosed.

I work for the state of Illinois as her sole caregiver, and recently the union negotiated a series of raises for us, and because of that, I first wound up making juuuust enough to no longer qualify for Medicaid back in 2018, then this last year, because of the additional raises, the premium tax credit I was getting toward the near seven hundred dollar premium got slashed significantly. I went from paying 150 to now needing to pay 250, and on top of that apparently the federal government are now saying I owe them another six hundred and change because of that raise changing the credit amount, where I used to get a refund of about a grand or so.

As if that wasn’t enough, I was in an auto wreck on the 1st of 2019 that gave me significant neck injury and I’ve been dealing with copays and bullshit from that (not to mention the headaches, neck pain, shoulder pain, etc) this whole past year and there’s nothing more the doctors can do short of injecting anaesthetic in my neck now and then. It also wrote off my 95 Mustang and my replacement’s a piece of poo poo but I’m not worried about that right now because at least the wheels haven’t fallen off (fun story, one actually did while I was doing 50 down a highway 20 miles down the road from the guy I bought it from lmao)

On top of all that bullshit, my drivers licence comes due next month on my birthday, and while renewing my vehicle registration earlier this month, I was told that they needed my permanent residency card. Now, that card expires after ten years, so mine expired in 2017. The thing is, you don’t NEED the card, once you have the status, because the status itself doesn’t expire. BUT, now the state of Illinois is telling me I need to renew it before I can renew my licence, and having my licence is one of the things that’s key to my continued employment as my girlfriend’s caregiver, as she requires so many hospital visits (and has been hospitalised almost a dozen times the past two years from heart attacks, pneumonia, etc). Fun thing is, that card’s renewal fee is yet another six hundred dollars including the biometrics fee.

And stupidly, I’d thought I’d be able to afford a new pair of glasses to replace my five year old pair this year, but that’s another four hundred dollars (why am I even paying a loving insurance premium, jfc America…..) that I have absolutely no way of dealing with right now, because of all the aforementioned ridiculousness. I mean, silver lining is that my girlfriend is already sounding and feeling much better since I moved her into the new place, but it’s hard to keep a smile on my face for her with this poo poo weighing on me.

Fake edit: Aaaand last night the alternator on the piece of poo poo 03 Santa Fe I had to buy to replace the Mustang went out right after I'd just gassed up. That's not nearly the only issue I've had with it. As I mentioned above, twenty miles down the road from the guy I bought it from, the front left wheel came flying off while I was doing 50 down a three lane highway in Peoria. I've been told my reaction is the most British thing ever. I just kind of sighed and went "well, that's unfortunate." Didn't panic, didn't freak, just gently turned the wheel to get me off the road rather than jerking it and causing my rear end to go rolling like a bad Limp Bizkit song.

Hexenritter has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Jan 29, 2021

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Siegkrow posted:

y'know, with that much spent in medical bills, wouldn't it have been better to move (even temporarily) to a country with proper healthcare?
Mind you, 2020 was the hell year of hell, corona made going to the doctor for anything other than 'rona almost impossible.

That is honestly a drop in the bucket. My hemophilia has required the United States to spend SEVERAL millions of dollars over the course of my 37 years of life. I was diagnosed at 9 years old in Fredericksburg, VA after I nearly bled to death from having a TNA procedure where the surgeon nicked an artery in my neck and sent me home that way back in 1992. No legal action was ever taken by my parents and my father passed away in 2015.

In exchange for this my DNA and blood is in a federal database and storage facility that has contributed to the development of effective treatments for the disease. Ask Houston, TX and they can confirm I am a research patient.

I am your perfect example for why it makes NO SENSE to put a dollar value on someone’s life. I was damned to have no chance of EVER being able to pay my debts and I am a burden to capitalism.

Randabis has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Jan 29, 2021

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I wish you all the best dude, I can't imagine what it's been like dealing with that your whole life.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hexenritter posted:

And stupidly, I’d thought I’d be able to afford a new pair of glasses to replace my five year old pair this year, but that’s another four hundred dollars (why am I even paying a loving insurance premium, jfc America…..)

glassesshop.com. Glasses for ten bucks. (you still need an eye exam, tho.)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've been mostly offline all week, working through the backlog and stuff tonight and tomorrow.

Whoever sent paypal bucks to the goonfund email address, get in touch with me asap (that's the wrong email address and I dont want your bucks to hang out in paypal limbo).

e: nevermind, I just made an account on that address since this has happened a bunch of times now, nevermind

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Jan 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gynovore posted:

glassesshop.com. Glasses for ten bucks. (you still need an eye exam, tho.)

https://www.zennioptical.com is another one too. you can get glasses for $10 without any of the lens coatings, but the person I know who got a bunch of pairs recommends getting some of the basic coatings which are cheap anyway