Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Busket Posket posted:

New theory on the Dyatlov Pass Incident, namely that they got smooshed by a particular type of slab avalanche.

I thought this was already the most commonly accepted theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

subpar anachronism posted:

I thought this was already the most commonly accepted theory?

I think this theory is more specific about the (less common) type of avalanche, which answers some of the earlier criticisms about the general “it was an avalanche” theory.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
You left out the detail that this resulted from work to make the snow in Frozen look realistic, which is a twist I didn't expect.

For DNA stuff, Casefile did an episode on Brittany Phillips' murder that was very interesting. I didn't see one good concise write-up of it, so I've just got the episode link: https://casefilepodcast.com/case-146-brittany-phillips/

The quickest summary is that she was found murdered in her apartment and it was hard to get much of a clear lead for the case. She either let her attacker in, or they broke into or already lived in a nearby apartment and crawled through the connected attic space to get to her. An unnerving detail was that the window screens were removed and left out, possibly as a red herring to make the cops think that someone climbed in from the outside even though that seems incredibly unlikely.

They had a small bloodstain on the wall and a small semen stain on the sheets that had matching DNA, but they didn't have an actual suspect that matched for it and they ruled out most of her social circle.

A key part of the case was her mother's unrelenting 15 year push to match the DNA samples, which led to a successful push for far more invasive DNA collection along with also eventually focusing on the ridiculous backlog of untested rape kits. But it was a really conflicting episode. It's hard to defend the abstract sense of privacy that a more widespread DNA database would violate when you're staring right at an unsolved crime, but...

The real gutpunch was that after all those years they finally got a match through a genealogical database. And it turned out to be from a friend who they hadn't tested at the time who had apparently had an ironclad, verified alibi. He just stayed at her place and was a bad houseguest, apparently. Also, the only known likely suspect is a guy who she briefly dated and called creepy. Who originally refused to provide DNA until they got a court order, except of course it didn't match because it was unrelated DNA. So, yeah. All of that and the DNA didn't even matter. Except it could have railroaded the friend if he didn't apparently have one hell of an alibi.

Just a really sad case all around.

Parakeet vs. Phone has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Jan 29, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

This happened to me in the field. But it wasn't the Goatman, it was hallucinations from sleep deprivation.

Off topic, but my sister's ex-husband used to stay awake for 36-48 hours at a time when he was a new lieutenant during field exercises. It seems like sleep deprivation, heavy machinery, and weapons (and higher order decision making, if that's your job) would mix really poorly with lack of sleep. How did people manage to stay effective?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Caffeine and tobacco and pre-workout.

Fighter pilots get cool doctors to prescribe them enough amphetamines and nootropics to match Bradley Cooper from Limitless.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BrianRx posted:

Off topic, but my sister's ex-husband used to stay awake for 36-48 hours at a time when he was a new lieutenant during field exercises. It seems like sleep deprivation, heavy machinery, and weapons (and higher order decision making, if that's your job) would mix really poorly with lack of sleep. How did people manage to stay effective?

modafinil

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Back in WWII both the Allies and Axis issued amphetamines to soldiers and aircraft crew. The Germans put it in chocolate bars.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

Back in WWII both the Allies and Axis issued amphetamines to soldiers and aircraft crew. The Germans put it in chocolate bars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimo_Koivunen

quote:

Koivunen was a Finnish soldier, assigned to a ski patrol on 20 April 1944, along with several other Finnish soldiers. Three days into their mission, on March 18th, the group was attacked and surrounded by Soviet forces, from which they managed to escape. Koivunen became fatigued after skiing for a long distance, but could not stop. He was also the sole carrier of army-issued Pervitin, or methamphetamine, a stimulant used to remain awake while on duty. Koivunen had trouble pulling out a single pill, so he emptied the entire bottle of thirty capsules into his hand and took them all.

He had a short burst of energy, but then entered into a state of delirium, and lost consciousness. Koivunen remembered waking up the following morning, separated from his patrol and having no supplies. In the following days, he escaped Soviet forces once again, was injured by a land mine, and laid in a ditch for a week waiting for help. After skiing more than 400 km (250 miles) he was found and admitted to a nearby hospital, where his heart rate was measured at 200 beats per minute, triple the average human heartbeat, and weighing only 43 kg (94 pounds). In the week Koivunen was gone, he subsisted only on pine buds and a single Siberian jay that he caught and ate raw. He ended up surviving and died peacefully at the age of 71.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yep. Those are absolutely the eyes of a man who downed a bottle of meth and then ate a bird he caught with his bare hands.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Bussamove posted:

Yep. Those are absolutely the eyes of a man who downed a bottle of meth and then ate a bird he caught with his bare hands.

The picture wasn’t even black and white,he was just that colour.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Running the Russian language version of the Wiki article through Google Translate provides some more details:

quote:

On March 16, 1944, the 53rd and 54th reconnaissance and sabotage groups of the 4th separate battalion of ski troops (4th detachment of military skiers) [1] under the command of Captain Ilmari Honkanen went behind the front line to check air intelligence information about the construction of the Soviet airfield to the north of the strategic road in the Kandalaksha region. Koivunen kept 30 pervitin capsules with him for his entire squad. On March 18, the patrol of Koivunen (4th company), leaving the temporary base, stumbled upon Soviet units and was attacked from an ambush, after which the Finns began to retreat [4]. Of the nine people of Koivunen's detachment, seven returned to the location of the Finnish troops: sergeants Yrjö Helppi and Erkki Kallio with Corporal Olavi Valingas arrived at the Luiposyuntuma base, Corporal Martti Juujärvi and senior sergeants Jaakko Kontiola and Lauri Siilin - to the village of Pattaya Kuoskruski Heikki Norri - to Honkanen base (arrived on March 20). The eighth, Corporal Eino Hietala, was captured by the Soviet Union and spent 10 years in camps and prisons in Yaroslavl, Cherepovets and Norilsk, returning home on February 9, 1954 [5]. The ninth fighter, Corporal Aimo Koivunen, fled the battlefield, not knowing where he was going. [2]

Tired after a long journey, at some point, Corporal Koivunen took out a pack of pervitin for the whole group - 30 tablets. According to the instructions of the Intelligence Directorate of the Finnish General Staff, it was forbidden to take more than six tablets per day, regardless of how extreme and dangerous the situation is. However, in the dark, Koivunen either by mistake or out of excitement ate all 30 tablets [6] - an amount five times higher than the maximum allowable dose [2] [7]. Feeling a surge of strength, Koivunen leaned on his skis and left the Soviet soldiers, but then hallucinations began to appear, and in the Lapland forest, Koivunen lost consciousness. He woke up the next morning, losing sight of the patrol and having lost almost all his food supply, but somehow retaining his weapon [8] - from the place of the skirmish was about 100 km [2].

Frightened, Koivunen tried to find his colleagues, but could not find them. From an overdose, he had hallucinations in the form of Soviet troops: according to some reports, one of such cases was not a hallucination, when Koivunen really almost ran into a Soviet patrol [3]. The skier was accompanied by panic attacks, and he could not distinguish between reality and hallucinations [2]. For the next two weeks, he spent the night under the snow, fed on pine buds and heated the water. According to his recollections, old friends who talked to him appeared in hallucinations [3]. At some point, Koivunen discovered a dilapidated dugout that belonged to the Germans, however, trying to get there, he stepped on an anti-personnel mine, receiving dangerous open wounds [8] [2]. When he did open the door, a second explosion thundered: a mine with a capacity of 13.4 kg of TNT exploded and brought down the entire dugout. Aymo flew off 20-30 meters, falling into a snowdrift. He tore a piece of cloth from his shirt to bandage his injured leg. Koivunen was forced to spend the night on a bare board, covered with the remains of a duffel bag. For about a week, he lay in a snow pit, eating raw meat of a koksha and anticipating death from frostbite or hunger: pervitin pumped out resources, but somehow did not allow Koivunen to freeze to death [8] [2].

Aymo wandered through the forests for about two weeks, covering a total of 400 km [2]. He was saved from starvation by an accident, when a German plane flew nearby and found a burnt-out dugout: Aymo, who was not far away, began waving his hat worn on a ski pole, and thereby gave a signal to the Germans. They sent sappers to clear the area, and only then took the wounded Koivunen and took him to a hospital in the Salla community on April 1, 1944 [3]. Doctors noted that his heart rate was almost 200 beats per minute, and his body weight did not exceed 43 kg [9] [8]. Taking into account the fact that in the Salla community the temperature reached 20-30 degrees below zero, the effects of pervitin seemed phenomenal to doctors [3] [2].

After the war

After the war, Koivunen was declared disabled (he lost his toes and received frostbite), and the use of pervitin was prohibited in the country. Having survived the end of the war and political upheavals in the country [2], Aimo moved to Central Finland, where he lived until the end of his days. He told his story to the public in the story "Pervitiini-partio" (Fin. Pervitiini-partio), which was published in the collection "How the people fought" (Fin. Kansa taisteli) in 1978 and took second place in the story competition [3].

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Holy poo poo. What story got loving first?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Maybe something from Simo Hayha

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Or Lauri Törni, who loved war so much he later joined the SS and then emigrated to the US to die in Vietnam

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think by virtue of being extremely dead Torni was unlikely to have won the contest

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

sorry, competent but boring soldiers have got absolutely nothing on a two-week insane meth binge behind enemy lines

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Not trying to change the topic or anything, but after watching the four episodes of that Night Stalker docuseries on Netflix, I just can't get over the fact that apparently Ramirez had a fuckin godawful stench. Possibly from how his teeth were actively rotting from his skull.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or Lauri Törni, who loved war so much he later joined the SS and then emigrated to the US to die in Vietnam

I'm sure he loved war but iirc his village was ceded to the soviets after the winter war and they definitely would have killed him if he went back, he joined the Germans to keep fighting them

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Not trying to change the topic or anything, but after watching the four episodes of that Night Stalker docuseries on Netflix, I just can't get over the fact that apparently Ramirez had a fuckin godawful stench. Possibly from how his teeth were actively rotting from his skull.

my favorite part was when the cop "measured" Ramirez's footprint by holding his foot over it and saying they were the same size

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I think he was also living pretty rough at that point. When the killings started he was living in a hotel but at some point I think he was basically homeless, just floating around from place to place in between killings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hollywood producer Ed Solomon (most notable as one of the guys behind the Bill & Ted movies) recently posted on Twitter that he was a suspect in the Night Stalker case for a hot minute. Basically he had cosigned a car loan for a friend, Ramirez stole the car and it was discovered by a crime scene. When they ran the plates Solomon's name came up, although by the time the cops actually arrived at his place he was already ruled out as a suspect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terra-da-loo! posted:

It's one of the things I've never forgotten since I first read about the case ages ago.

bootsy
Jun 29, 2010
The most insane part of the Nightstslker doc is that it spends the whole series jerking off the cops as the heroes and in the end they had minimal affect on catching him. Most of the big breaks came from civilians like the kid fixing his bike and the survivors. In fact, the cops mostly just wasted time on poo poo that ended up never mattering like the old, rare gun ammo, or other leads they would later gently caress up anyway like letting the shoe prints leak.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

bootsy posted:

The most insane part of the Nightstslker doc is that it spends the whole series jerking off the cops as the heroes and in the end they had minimal affect on catching him. Most of the big breaks came from civilians like the kid fixing his bike and the survivors. In fact, the cops mostly just wasted time on poo poo that ended up never mattering like the old, rare gun ammo, or other leads they would later gently caress up anyway like letting the shoe prints leak.
This aspect of the docuseries really bothered me, too. Unnerved isn't the right word, for me--more like badly annoyed. But yeah, all the time they spent talking about and praising the police would have been hard to tolerate even if they had been more competent re: stopping Ramirez. The fact that they weren't only incompetent, but were so incompetent that it actually helped enable Ramirez to claim more victims? Holy poo poo.

I figure it probably happened for one of two reasons: just plain old bootlicking from the director/producers, or possibly because they felt like they wanted to "tell both/all sides," and in doing so they wound up blowing the cops while also telling a story of them failing over and over. Honestly I would bet on the bootlicking one. They're so on cops' dicks they didn't get that the story they were telling is a good example if how cops don't help nearly as much as a lotta people think.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Captagon is interesting re war and drugs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenethylline

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-02/italy-drug-bust-captagon-how-is-it-linked-to-islamic-state/12414804

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2015/12/men-making-captagon-the-drug-fueling-isis.html

Also going back a page or so, how young do you think this boy Jared Leto is with is?

Halloween Liker has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Feb 2, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Sounds exactly like when nazi soldiers were all on Pervitin during the blitzkrieg.

fake e] Oh it's meth too, no wonder it sounded the same :downs:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Amphetamines plus the placebo effect is a hell of a cocktail.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
The war nerd did a write up on Captagon back in 2015.

It’s just run of the mill speed, the sort that every army has been giving out to soldiers since the Second World War.

Gary Brecher/The War Nerd/John Dolan posted:

There have been articles hinting that the Axis was evil because its soldiers were doing these evil drugs—a thesis very close to the current Captagon hysteria—and it’d be a nice, reassuring idea, except that the Allies were just as sweaty, talkative, sleepless, and anorexic—sped, in other words—as their enemies. The Soviets handed out “Vint” like candy to their troops (and the nickname survived, as I can testify, into the 21st century in Moscow). Oh, but that was the Soviets, who were almost as eeeeevul as the Germans or Japanese, right? Surely the good allies, the Americans and British, wouldn’t have resorted to these bloodlust-pills?

Well, you can guess the answer to that. Of course they did. British soldiers gulped more than 70 million speed pills in WW2, and the US was mighty liberal with the Benzedrine and Dexedrine, too.

Returning vets had such a taste for the stuff that doctors prescribed speed, under all kinds of trade names, to civilian patients right through the 1950s, until the hippies came along and ruined things for everybody. Those were the white picket-fence days, the whole Eisenhower-grin stuff. It helps if you remember that those lean, smiling bores were as high as any Islamic State beheader.

Old military rations even turn up with decades old amphetamines in them

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Halloween Liker posted:

Also going back a page or so, how young do you think this boy Jared Leto is with is?

I think he may be the frontman of the British band Years & Years, Olly Alexander, who is 30 as of this year.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

San Francisco Giants' outfielder Drew Robinson's second act.

Trigger warning: This article is about an attempted suicide. It is very detailed about the attempted suicide, both the thought process behind it and manner in which it was attempted.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/WesternWilson9/status/1356832977599090689

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rhandhali posted:

The war nerd did a write up on Captagon back in 2015.

It’s just run of the mill speed, the sort that every army has been giving out to soldiers since the Second World War.

Old military rations even turn up with decades old amphetamines in them

When I was in Basic Training, our rations still came with cigarettes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Just heard this one on commercial radio, the presenter was laughing about her being stuck in the boot and said nothing about how/why she was in there or the stab wounds. Pretty hosed

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you're in an older car that doesn't have the pulltab, that's what you're supposed to do

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Pick posted:

If you're in an older car that doesn't have the pulltab, that's what you're supposed to do

Things like this remind me of how much of my young-adulthood was spent learning it was my personal responsibility as an afab person to avoid or escape abduction. Don’t listen to music, always walk in groups, don’t wear your hair in a ponytail, take a different route to and from work everyday, and text your friends a photo of your date and his car so they can pass them along to the police if you haven’t texted the secret “I’m okay” code by 10:30pm.

Part of it was also “be aware that you can be knocked unconscious while loading groceries and stuffed in your own trunk, so practice finding the release latch and kicking out a taillight! Then mentally prepare yourself to jump out at freeway speed!”

It’s just super great to feel the weight of that responsibility combined with “ugh stop being so paranoid” from dudes and “nah keep being paranoid. In fact, ratchet it up a bit” from news media. Makes us all super healthy and not at all existentially troubled.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Jesus Christ in always gobsmacked at how often being a woman is a loving nightmare.

I mean as a small sensitive boy with no parental supervision most of the time, I was always wary of strangers.

I even narced on a pedo that tried to no bullshit offer me candy while wearing gloves in Las Vegas, and I was told he got caught soon after. gently caress cops but gently caress pedophiles more.

I can't imagine just having to deal with that kind of existential anxiety of abduction, assault, and abuse on a daily basis, and I've lived in a war zone.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Wasabi the J posted:

Jesus Christ in always gobsmacked at how often being a woman is a loving nightmare.

I mean as a small sensitive boy with no parental supervision most of the time, I was always wary of strangers.

I even narced on a pedo that tried to no bullshit offer me candy while wearing gloves in Las Vegas, and I was told he got caught soon after. gently caress cops but gently caress pedophiles more.

I can't imagine just having to deal with that kind of existential anxiety of abduction, assault, and abuse on a daily basis, and I've lived in a war zone.

It probably doesn’t mean much in the greater arc of the universe, but it does legitimately help when people who don’t directly experience that 24/7 dread acknowledge that it sucks. Thank you :glomp:

Coincidentally, this article came out yesterday, about AOC’s admission of the terror she felt in January 6th and how the backlash is reminding a lot of women that they’re more likely to be mocked or threatened when they try to get others to understand that poo poo sucks: When women feel hunted, America tells them to get over it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This one still gets to me. A teenage boy is found hanging from a tree and had left an extremely well written suicide note and no one 45+ years on knows who he was

https://medium.com/true-crime-by-cat-leigh/teen-found-hanging-from-persimmon-tree-7747f71bbfc6

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

This one still gets to me. A teenage boy is found hanging from a tree and had left an extremely well written suicide note and no one 45+ years on knows who he was

https://medium.com/true-crime-by-cat-leigh/teen-found-hanging-from-persimmon-tree-7747f71bbfc6

How sad. He was so articulate too.

I think he could well have been the young man who went missing who they speculate may have been him; there's quite the resemblance between the photo of the missing man and the drawing of the deceased. Same long facial structure, very similar looking hair.

A terrible pity that the remains have been lost; a DNA test would have likely solved the mystery.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a bit melodramatic calling Vegas a war zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inceltown posted:

It's a bit melodramatic calling Vegas a war zone.

We won't go quietly. The Legion can count on that.