Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

i flunked out posted:

aim assist lol.

Eh, as a PC controller/couch gamer, I will at least give it a try. I have always relied heavily on VATS so maybe aim assist will help give me a little more build flexibility when I start switching around perks in the new respec system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty much every pc game has aim assist for controllers, another thing that probably already should have been in there

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

is FO76 in a good place right now? Thinking about picking it up next time it's on sale.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Vargatron posted:

is FO76 in a good place right now? Thinking about picking it up next time it's on sale.
yes. lots to do, unsolicited pvp/griefing is nonexistent, upcoming updates (loadouts/respec etc.) will make it even better.

if you are looking for "my story choices truly matter like new vegas or classic fallout" this is not that and never will be, but if you want a big Fallout playground it's very good right now

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Roman posted:

yes. lots to do, unsolicited pvp/griefing is nonexistent, upcoming updates (loadouts/respec etc.) will make it even better.

if you are looking for "my story choices truly matter like new vegas or classic fallout" this is not that and never will be, but if you want a big Fallout playground it's very good right now

The last year of patches/updates has really improved the overall core of the game.

I started playing around a month ago for the first time since pre-Wastelanders and have really enjoyed my time spent finishing up the main quest and the Wastelanders quests while mixing in random events, daily ops, and even actually playing some Nuclear Winter. I am looking forward to moving on to the Brotherhood of Steel content next and excited to see what the content roadmap for 2021 will look like.

There are a lot of nice quality of life changes that have been introduced a long the way, with smaller things like better quest tracking on the map, being able to consume aid without picking it up first, and the public group system all adding up to a better experience. Everything on the just-announced PTR list sounds like great changes that will noticeably improve the game as well.

There's certainly some jank and bugs still present but at this point they are more the lovable Bethesda variety and less the "oh, this quest trigger is just completely broken, I guess I will have to go do something else now" variety.

FO76 might not have reached full "No Man's Sky post-launch redemption" mode but honestly, it is getting pretty close for me. I would go as far as calling it an actual good game now for someone looking for a Fallout experience on a cool/interesting map with tons of content that you can mostly play solo, with the option to have fun teaming up with other people when you want to.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Parker Lewis posted:

The last year of patches/updates has really improved the overall core of the game.

FO76 might not have reached full "No Man's Sky post-launch redemption" mode but honestly, it is getting pretty close for me. I would go as far as calling it an actual good game now for someone looking for a Fallout experience on a cool/interesting map with tons of content that you can mostly play solo, with the option to have fun teaming up with other people when you want to.

Absolutely, this. The launch was a mess, no one can question that. But the constant poo poo the game gets is sometimes unfair, and it can't be said they aren't at least trying. I'm fully enjoying running around playing mostly solo, but the social aspects have improved tremendously.
And it actually does keep getting better, bit by bit.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

never played at launch but playing it the last few weeks its been better than i expected

the entire UI needs to be slam dunked into the dumpster where it belongs though and redone from scratch

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

the entire UI needs to be slam dunked into the dumpster where it belongs though and redone from scratch
this is true. I go back to other games and keep hitting Tab instead of Esc and it bugs the poo poo out of me

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Roman posted:

this is true. I go back to other games and keep hitting Tab instead of Esc and it bugs the poo poo out of me

same but someone is shooting me when im trying to pick a lock

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

same but someone is shooting me when im trying to pick a lock

Yep, same. It's honestly impressive how consistent they are in releasing the worst possible UIs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Roman posted:

Having played NV,4, and now being level 51 in FO76, some thoughts:

-I'm really glad I waited to play FO76 until now. Friendly reminder that its on Gamepass for PC currently, so its worth dipping your toes in if you already have gamepass or can get it at the introductory price of $1 for 3 months.
-Gamepass version is more locked down and has some oddities due to DRM which makes it less edit-friendly. Still possible to edit, just slightly different.
-Transferring between gamepass version and steam version preserves characters and premium unlocks, but not premium currency apparently.
-It will never reach New Vegas levels of "choices matter" which is a letdown, but I dont think there's a lootershooter out there that gives you much in the way of impactful choices.
-The story is way better than Fallout 4 in my opinion, mostly because they got rid of the dumb "my baby!" story hook where you were forced to care about some low poly object onscreen for all of 3 minutes.
-Actual NPCs are nice, and its great that I can have people in my post apocalyptic treehouse. Base building was incredibly fun for me in FO4, so it being more of a mechanic in FO76 was literally half the reason why I installed this game.
-Subscription for Fallout 1st isn't necessary. You're given a lot of premium currency to get cosmetics/base decor, but I signed up because I wanted some stuff now and since I didn't have to buy the game in the first place.
-turning off antialiasing via some config file was the first thing I did. the game is shockingly ugly with it on. turning off vsync got rid of that awful input lag as well.
-UI is terrible and the favorites circle (scroll wheel by default) is your friend. It still doesn't really fix the biggest problem, which is opening up your pipboy mid-combat and scrolling through the menus trying to apply, but the big problem is lack of hotkey shortcut for any healing item

actually im tired of typing im gonna go to sleep now

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

buglord posted:

-UI is terrible and the favorites circle (scroll wheel by default) is your friend. It still doesn't really fix the biggest problem, which is opening up your pipboy mid-combat and scrolling through the menus trying to apply, but the big problem is lack of hotkey shortcut for any healing item

Pressing right on the d-pad activates a Stimpak when playing with a controller.. I imagine there is an equivalent default keybind for keyboard?

My biggest UI gripe is that sometimes you navigate left/right through menus using the left/right triggers, sometimes you use the left/right shoulder buttons, and sometimes you use left/right on the d-pad. I seem to always pick the wrong one for the current context.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Is using non-power armor viable?

I was playing my commando rifle character but it seemed like I had to keep repairing my armor every 10 minutes (compared to my PA heavy weapons guy who hardly ever needs to repair armor).

Am I missing something here?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Nope, armor is just less durable. I dont ever use power armor for my commando character, so its perfectly viable, you just have to make sure to minimize the amount of shots you are taking with sneak and not just charging straight in. I have played enough on that character though that I currently have over 100 improved repair kits.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I have Stims, Super Stims, and Psychobuff all slotted to hotkeys (0,-, and = respectively). You have to not be shooting to use them though.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Does radaway have a different rule to it than stims? It doesn't seem to trigger most of the time on the keybinding but using the favorite wheel it works all the time.

I am kinda wondering if it's just my 7 key is borked as well.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Is using non-power armor viable?

I was playing my commando rifle character but it seemed like I had to keep repairing my armor every 10 minutes (compared to my PA heavy weapons guy who hardly ever needs to repair armor).

Am I missing something here?
get the white knight perk and only equip it when you're repairing armor. saves a huge amount of ballistic weave on repairs

also if you are going for any non PA character, you deffo need a maxxed dodgy, especially after the latest huge buff it received this patch

if you are going commando, I'm assuming you're going bloodied/unyielding as well, so picking up serendipity and nerd rage is a must

honestly on my bloodied sneak commando/rifleman build, I barely get scratched anymore even under direct fire on a daily ops

edit: you can also do a 1 or 2 star lucky break, but honestly after the hotfix a while back I feel it rarely procs anymore

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

TheAgent posted:

get the white knight perk and only equip it when you're repairing armor. saves a huge amount of ballistic weave on repairs

Don't forgot Fix it Good at the same time to repair armour to 200% condition.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

TheAgent posted:

also if you are going for any non PA character, you deffo need a maxxed dodgy, especially after the latest huge buff it received this patch

if you are going commando, I'm assuming you're going bloodied/unyielding as well, so picking up serendipity and nerd rage is a must

honestly on my bloodied sneak commando/rifleman build, I barely get scratched anymore even under direct fire on a daily ops

edit: you can also do a 1 or 2 star lucky break, but honestly after the hotfix a while back I feel it rarely procs anymore

If you are a high enough level and know how to run the silos in ~10 minutes: Improved Repair kits drop from the Queen as a reward for Scorched Earth. I'm sitting on roughly 200 of those and I honestly can't remember the last time I actually had to use a workbench for armor repair.

Also, both repair perks, Lucky break and luck of the draw or something, are not worth it. Slot in max Ricochet instead, you'll get way more mileage out of that since it procs a lot, probably way more than it should.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 30, 2021

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
This is on gamepass so I have been fooling around with it. It’s a lot of fun so far but I basically never have bullets.

I looted a mod from somewhere that says “can only be attached at a workbench” or something like that. I’ve tried clicking on all the trinket, armor, etc crafting tables and I don’t see anyway to use whatever this mod thing is.

I’m like a level 9 if that matters. Dumped every point in Agility so far :smugbird:

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

swims posted:

This is on gamepass so I have been fooling around with it. It’s a lot of fun so far but I basically never have bullets.

I looted a mod from somewhere that says “can only be attached at a workbench” or something like that. I’ve tried clicking on all the trinket, armor, etc crafting tables and I don’t see anyway to use whatever this mod thing is.

I’m like a level 9 if that matters. Dumped every point in Agility so far :smugbird:

Depending on the kind/type of mod you'll need either a weapons or an armor workbench. You'll also need armor or weapon to actually attach it too meaning that unless you have the weapon or armor in your inventory you'll not be able to do anything with it. For example, if it's a mod for a Pipe Rifle you'll need to have a pipe rifle in your inventory to be able to attach the mod to it. Also, workbenches, in typical Bethesda fashion, make little sense and have you switch between Craft and Modify. For mods you carry around you want to select modify.

Just sell the mod to a vendor, the only times you will actually want to add a found or bought mod to armor is once you hit level 50 and want to mod Scout Armor or it's much more expensive but way better variants Solar or Thorn armor. Those are, as far as I remember, the only armors that can't be modded by learning plans for mods. Instead, you need to buy the mod boxes for them from a high level vendor you'll run across naturally if you follow the main quest line. You can also get those mods from doing events in the Bog but I wouldn't count on them dropping anything good for the first couple hundred tries. :)

One more thing, with the next patch they'll add perk loadouts, so don't worry should you at some point realize that dumping everything into Agility was a dumb idea. ;)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 30, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I can't shake these nightmares... floating in space forever... just, why?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

buglord posted:

I can't shake these nightmares... floating in space forever... just, why?

For a minute I thought this was the Dyson Sphere Project thread and was confused because didn't think I had clicked on that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Speaking of repeating things, every time I log on, Rose tells me that she finally trusts me for yadda yadda reason. "The Missing Link" quest is active, and the details are to complete missions to gain Rose's trust. But when I talk to Rose, she says I did everything I needed for her and she's looking for fresh meat to manipulate. Do I need to complete Keys to The Past?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

buglord posted:

Speaking of repeating things, every time I log on, Rose tells me that she finally trusts me for yadda yadda reason. "The Missing Link" quest is active, and the details are to complete missions to gain Rose's trust. But when I talk to Rose, she says I did everything I needed for her and she's looking for fresh meat to manipulate. Do I need to complete Keys to The Past?

Yes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

buglord posted:

Having played NV,4, and now being level 51 in FO76, some thoughts:

-The story is way better than Fallout 4 in my opinion, mostly because they got rid of the dumb "my baby!" story hook where you were forced to care about some low poly object onscreen for all of 3 minutes.

actually im tired of typing im gonna go to sleep now

This is the one part of FO4 that basically ruins the narrative for me. What if my character didn't want a child or was gay/lesbian? That really frustrates me. Then again, I can just ignore the story I reckon.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's just how good your spouse was, they turned you bi

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never came close to finishing FO4 but I was pretty into the narrative of finding my son.

Then I fond Cait and other companions and was like "Shaun who?"

FO3 and 4 try to force an urgency upon you by using family members and the natural love you would have for a father or a son. But that clashes so badly with the innate instinct to just wander around and explore in a Bethesda game. That instinct will win out pretty much every time.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my wife and I just did the fire breathers physical exam at the same time and wound up with like 40 zombies chasing us, truly thrilling getting holed up and spending 15 minutes and all of our ammo chipping away at them lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Protip: if you're switching to heavy weapons from something else and are an idiot such as I am get a decent gatling gun for trash mobs because you don't want to waste 2mm ec on fireflies and level 50 scorch trash and stuff.

I mean you basically want one of every heavy weapon on you but I didn't realize how great the gatling was for using as a semi automatic against lower end mobs in terms of ammo efficiency.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Protip: if you're switching to heavy weapons from something else and are an idiot such as I am get a decent gatling gun for trash mobs because you don't want to waste 2mm ec on fireflies and level 50 scorch trash and stuff.

I mean you basically want one of every heavy weapon on you but I didn't realize how great the gatling was for using as a semi automatic against lower end mobs in terms of ammo efficiency.

If you want to be ammo efficient, the Gatling Gun and the Plasma Caster are your best choice for any enemy minus the bosses.
I switch between a Quad Plasma Caster and an AAE Gatling Gun for every day use, Final Word for riot control in case I get swarmed and an AA Gatling Plasma for the Queen or Earle.

Plus, the contextual ammo system in the Daily OPs means that you can just farm the ammo you need by running those a couple of times. Blood Eagle DOs are the best for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Frontier got an update!

quote:

We have removed ZuTheSkunks content from the mod, namely icons and self inserts. We’d like to re-iterate that his behaviour is abhorrent and we have distanced ourselves from him as soon as we were informed of the situation.

- We have made changes to America and Mae’s content. We have removed the Slavery lines, and the lines from Mae that were inappropriate. We recognize that these topics were not handled tactfully, however, there was never any malicious intent behind the writing of the lines.

- We have locked the Trochili. Temporarily they are inaccessible but they will be re-added in an esp that will be provided optionally later.

- We have unfortunately had to remove multiple characters worth of voice acting as people have requested that they not be associated with the project going forward. We will be revoicing these characters in the future.

- We have removed content that has been asked to be removed by artists.

- We have had to remove the music for the breach outreach as the artist has requested his content to be removed.

- We have modified and removed a few pieces of questionable content mod wide.

lmao

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I am sick so I am extra cranky about this but it seems impossible to stream 76 from the deskstop in one room to my laptop.

Which is probably for the best because I *can* stream my phone and all I was really able to do was claim a new skin for the windmill generator.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Frontier got an update!

lmao
:stonklol:

If New California was the first big ""professional"" indie Fallout mod and this is the second, I don't know if I'm ready to see what Fallout: Miami is going to bring to the table.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Twincityhacker posted:

I am sick so I am extra cranky about this but it seems impossible to stream 76 from the deskstop in one room to my laptop.

Which is probably for the best because I *can* stream my phone and all I was really able to do was claim a new skin for the windmill generator.

In my experience trying to stream online games is a lot more difficult because you're significantly increasing the amount of data being handled by your network, especially if any part of it is wireless. The router has to handle both incoming and outgoing traffic for the online game as well as computer->router->computer traffic for the remote play

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

If New California was the first big ""professional"" indie Fallout mod and this is the second, I don't know if I'm ready to see what Fallout: Miami is going to bring to the table.

Cake farting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What was that one fallout new vegas mod that came out a while back that had this prologue where the mod author was definitely self inserting about his terrible highschool experience

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

buglord posted:

What was that one fallout new vegas mod that came out a while back that had this prologue where the mod author was definitely self inserting about his terrible highschool experience

New California.

Father Wendigo posted:

Miami's page references a "once-great slaver kingdom" and is touting joining the Enclave as a feature. The first could just be fluffing things up and they could be pulling off the latter well for the first time in Fallout modding, but given what I've seen of Fallout modders the last 14 years I don't think I'm willing to extend that benefit of the doubt.

They're using gatorclaws though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Beyond Boulder dome was the first mod I've seen with the gall to claim it was a DLC sized expansion, It was pretty bad but not quite the shitshow frontier and New Calfornia ended up being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
you would think not putting grotesque poo poo in a mod that size would be the easiest part of making one, and yet