Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Goldaline posted:

Moderna as well. We have six hours to administer 10 doses once a vial's left the fridge. Since we do 3 vials a day, that's 30 folks, and yes at least one person cancels every day and I'm scrambling to contact a replacement that can get there in time.

How would you suggest someone not on the list go about being that replacement? Everywhere I've called, it's been impossible to talk to someone who's willing to admit on the phone that the operation isn't 100% efficient, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Goldaline posted:

Moderna as well. We have six hours to administer 10 doses once a vial's left the fridge. Since we do 3 vials a day, that's 30 folks, and yes at least one person cancels every day and I'm scrambling to contact a replacement that can get there in time.

Not to mention the vials are filled *wildly* inconsistently so we're often getting 11 doses (we got 12 out of one today??! We had to call Moderna who basically told us "yea that's possible maybe") but we can't count on that so I'm also scrambling every time we pull 10 and still have 1 left in the vial. We're going to have to like, physically look at the levels in the vials when we get the next shipment to try and match up ones that are more full for days when we have more people scheduled to get their second dose.

This whole thing is a logistical nightmare for scheduling and boy I'm glad I accepted the promotion into admin over the summer LOL

Pfizer: “whoa hey gonna have to change you extra for that. Thank you for your honesty”

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Last I heard Amazon was full of fake products and best avoided.

Got myself a P100 mask so I should be extra super safe.

This is what I came here to ask. Where is a good place to get KN95 or KF94 masks? I trust the knockoff brands on Amazon as far as I can throw them.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

This is what I came here to ask. Where is a good place to get KN95 or KF94 masks? I trust the knockoff brands on Amazon as far as I can throw them.

I got my Powecom KN95s from Bonafide Masks back in July after goons vetted them. Extremely satisfied with the bulk order I placed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Last I heard Amazon was full of fake products and best avoided.

Got myself a P100 mask so I should be extra super safe.

there's 3M stuff straight from amazon

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Kestral posted:

How would you suggest someone not on the list go about being that replacement? Everywhere I've called, it's been impossible to talk to someone who's willing to admit on the phone that the operation isn't 100% efficient, every day.

For health clinics it's probably a no-go unless you are already a patient--we received our allotments based on our patient population so we aren't offering/giving to anyone else. I don't know how pharmacies are doing it. I'd maybe talk to your primary care doctor--if they're attached to a hospital or somesuch that has a department doing vaccinations they may be able to send a message over (it also carries more weight if a doctor is saying "this person needs it/is a priority) Look and see if your city/state has a place to register as well.

Also I can really only talk about the situation in Philadelphia because every state pretty much did it's own thing in terms of distribution so I've no clue if any of this holds true elsewhere.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Alan Smithee posted:

Pfizer: “whoa hey gonna have to change you extra for that. Thank you for your honesty”

I don't think Moderna has the balls to try when they clearly screwed up so badly filling these things.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Alan Smithee posted:

there's 3M stuff straight from amazon

Those straight-from-3M products get thrown in a big bin with all the dubious third-party vendor stock, there’s no way to know if you’re getting the real deal or a counterfeit.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 29, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I'm not buying anything life-saving from amazon. I wouldn't buy condoms, medication or pet food there either

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that may have been true early in the pandemic but it should be fine now. I'm not here to fluff amazon like they need it

there's plenty of other places to get it
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Safety-Equipment-Respirator-Masks/3M/N-5yc1vZc25kZ30?storeSelection=

https://www.lowes.com/pl/3m--Respirators-safety-masks-Safety-workwear-Tools/2636908006?refinement=4294965642

https://pksafety.com/3m-6000-series-half-facepiece-respirator/

just googling gets you a bunch of options. I don't know if they ship internationally

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Lazyhound's link explains how it's inherent to Amazon's operating method. Never buy anything from Amazon where it's not ok if you get a counterfeit.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
i'm somewhat dubious about that link:

1. it is on a site that blocks europe
2. it's from 2014
3. no updates have been made
4. lots of vague claims like "some warehouses" and "it often happens"
5. its facts involve only one single product
6. this specific method described is a completely different type of scam as what happened last spring
7. the method described is not specific to amazon, it's specific to stores that DON'T ONLY sell "straight from manufacturer" (now i'm not a logistics person, but i have my doubts about how much items are sold directly from manufacturer to final vendor)

their method appears to work only because some producers can successfully fake specific brand products (item, packaging, barcodes) and convince amazon itself that they're loads of the original item, and amazon doesn't sell "straight from manufacturer" as different from "sold through some kind of middle man"

last spring people were not mimicking brands, but creating entirely new products that made certain claims but when delivered were just trash

that said, when comparing amazon.de and amazon.com, .com appears to be wild west and full of obvious scams, so i might also be falling for expectation bias

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Mithaldu posted:

i'm somewhat dubious about that link:

1. it is on a site that blocks europe
2. it's from 2014
3. no updates have been made
4. lots of vague claims like "some warehouses" and "it often happens"
5. its facts involve only one single product
6. this specific method described is a completely different type of scam as what happened last spring
7. the method described is not specific to amazon, it's specific to stores that DON'T ONLY sell "straight from manufacturer" (now i'm not a logistics person, but i have my doubts about how much items are sold directly from manufacturer to final vendor)

their method appears to work only because some producers can successfully fake specific brand products (item, packaging, barcodes) and convince amazon itself that they're loads of the original item, and amazon doesn't sell "straight from manufacturer" as different from "sold through some kind of middle man"

last spring people were not mimicking brands, but creating entirely new products that made certain claims but when delivered were just trash

that said, when comparing amazon.de and amazon.com, .com appears to be wild west and full of obvious scams, so i might also be falling for expectation bias

True enough for everything you said, but yes in the past two or so years Amazon really has become the Wild West of poo poo products. They seem to have used the pandemic as a convenient time to let the floodgates go - it’s around that time they also did some poo poo like filtering out 90% of products if you sort by price etc.

Recently I’ve ordered a two pack of a product and received it in two completely different sets of packaging.

So, capitalism as usual.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 29, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well to play devil's prosecutor I bought a 7000 series mask (the blue one where the vent goes downward) and it came in a plastic bag as opposed to the one you have to cut open with the jaws of life. Can't remember if it was a bag with official looking print on it. Sketchy for some? Yeah

if it's counterfeit then it's a drat good one

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

There are tons of fakes on Amazon.de as well, just look for Samsung or Apple chargers. And commingling of inventory happens in Europe, but maybe it's not an issue when it's sold & shipped by Amazon, as opposed to sold by third-party vendor and shipped by Amazon?

Vendor have to pay more if they don't want their inventory commingled, which is why everyone does it.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 29, 2021

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday, and had a rough night. Muscles were sore (not just at the injection site, which hurts a lot), woke up freezing and shivering, nauseous, then woke up super hot. Tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable and woke up every 5 minutes. Feeling a bit better this morning but very tired, hopefully this is the last of it. Totally worth it though if it means that it's working.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

There are tons of fakes on Amazon.de as well, just look for Samsung or Apple chargers. And commingling of inventory happens in Europe, but maybe it's not an issue when it's sold & shipped by Amazon, as opposed to sold by third-party vendor and shipped by Amazon?

Vendor have to pay more if they don't want their inventory commingled, which is why everyone does it.

Yeeeepp - want to get a new MacBook charger (loving MagSafe) but it’s a Russian roulette that all ends in my apartment burning down

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are the KN95's reusable? I've been using just plain cloth neck gaiters but was thinking about getting a pack of KN95's to slip underneath it. The price of these Powecom's on bonafidemasks looks decent enough to pick up a pack of 10.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Are the KN95's reusable? I've been using just plain cloth neck gaiters but was thinking about getting a pack of KN95's to slip underneath it. The price of these Powecom's on bonafidemasks looks decent enough to pick up a pack of 10.

There's a German study that says you can reuse them, but should hang them up to dry for 7 days (or at least 3 days) in between uses - switching between different masks, ideally one for every weekday.

And it seems to be commonly recommended that you should replace them after about 20 hours of wear time (or when they get hard to breathe through, as that means the mask is getting clogged).

https://www.fh-muenster.de/gesundhe...rauch/index.php

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fame Douglas posted:

There's a German study that says you can reuse them, but should hang them up to dry for 7 days (or at least 3 days) in between uses - switching between different masks, ideally one for every weekday.

Thank you! I picked up 20 so my partner and I can have enough to do this.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I found that different brands fit a bit differently, so may be worth trying out multiple.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday, and had a rough night. Muscles were sore (not just at the injection site, which hurts a lot), woke up freezing and shivering, nauseous, then woke up super hot. Tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable and woke up every 5 minutes. Feeling a bit better this morning but very tired, hopefully this is the last of it. Totally worth it though if it means that it's working.

I have my 2nd Moderna scheduled for next Friday, so I'm thinking about not having any plans for the weekend.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Aren't neck gaiters supposed to be real bad for spreading vapours compares even to cloth masks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

explosivo posted:

Aaron Collins tested reuse.

Two of the three KF94 (Korean standard) masks he’d worn for forty hours did as well and better than the new Powecom he tested. Even the mask he wore for dozens of hours and left in the rain stopped way more of his test ærosol than any surgical or cloth mask.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Colonel Cancer posted:

Aren't neck gaiters supposed to be real bad for spreading vapours compares even to cloth masks

No. It depends on what type and how you wear it but what you're likely referencing was from a study that had it's findings misconstrued to say that a gaiter is worse than not wearing a mask.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Alan Smithee posted:

well to play devil's prosecutor I bought a 7000 series mask (the blue one where the vent goes downward) and it came in a plastic bag as opposed to the one you have to cut open with the jaws of life. Can't remember if it was a bag with official looking print on it. Sketchy for some? Yeah

if it's counterfeit then it's a drat good one

I got this same one, it's in a bag with official print on it. Came with an exhaustively long MSDS and use guide. I think you'll be fine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first J&J vaccine results came out this morning

https://twitter.com/notdred/status/1355139755009257473?s=20

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
I truly feel like I’m living in an alternate reality at times. People I know are still getting together for birthdays, holidays, etc indoors during winter (w/ masks but still) and having ski weekends and such... While I live like a hermit only leaving to get groceries and go for a walk.

I haven’t hung out in someone’s house in almost a year now, and decided even fun shopping trips are now too risky with the new variants. Am I too cautious? It’s not like I’m in the at risk category but I have always been a “better safe than sorry” person.

Mask input: we’ve been using Honeywell N95s for everything now since the new variant. When I take it off I have an imprint in my face, so I’m guessing it’s a good fit?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
No mention of Novavax vaccine results? 96% effective against original strain. 85% against UK strain and roughly 50% against South Africa strain. They can tweak the vaccine to target these strains better. They can produce 2B doses this year and it doesn't require crazy handling like Pfizer and Moderna. A huge win in this fight....

I own the stock too. :}

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

liz posted:

I truly feel like I’m living in an alternate reality at times. People I know are still getting together for birthdays, holidays, etc indoors during winter (w/ masks but still) and having ski weekends and such... While I live like a hermit only leaving to get groceries and go for a walk.

I haven’t hung out in someone’s house in almost a year now, and decided even fun shopping trips are now too risky with the new variants. Am I too cautious? It’s not like I’m in the at risk category but I have always been a “better safe than sorry” person.

Mask input: we’ve been using Honeywell N95s for everything now since the new variant. When I take it off I have an imprint in my face, so I’m guessing it’s a good fit?

Gonna quote myself from a few weeks ago - it seemed to help a couple other goons facing the same questions (as I do weekly), so hopefully it might help you out as well.

Kragger99 posted:

There’s a few ways I help deal with what your describing above:
1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

2. Humans default to their “fight or flight” systems when facing a threat.
You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

3. I also tell myself this everyday:
Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The first J&J vaccine results came out this morning

https://twitter.com/notdred/status/1355139755009257473?s=20

They started a separate 2 dose study late last year so hopefully that data will come in the next few months too.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
A friend of mine has a college aged daughter that got covid back in March 2020. Apparently she got pretty sick but got over it. Today my friend tells me her daughter is sick again and lost her sense of taste/smell. She hasn't been tested but obviously it's covid. So what I'm curious about is can symptoms return after this long or is this most likely re-infection?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are a material number of different strains now

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

FiskTireBoy posted:

A friend of mine has a college aged daughter that got covid back in March 2020. Apparently she got pretty sick but got over it.
She was positively tested, or this was an inference based on timing?

quote:

Today my friend tells me her daughter is sick again and lost her sense of taste/smell. She hasn't been tested but obviously it's covid. So what I'm curious about is can symptoms return after this long or is this most likely re-infection?

Loss of taste/smell isn't unique to covid. She should get tested, for a variety of reasons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah she definitely needs to get tested because reinfection isn’t all that common at all.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah she definitely needs to get tested because reinfection isn’t all that common at all.

You're wrong. It's not unlikely to be Covid, natural immunity doesn't last all that long - less than one year is the expected timeframe. And by now we've already seen tons of cases of reinfection.

From the CDC website:

quote:

At this time, experts do not know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. The immunity someone gains from having an infection, called natural immunity, varies from person to person. Some early evidence suggests natural immunity may not last very long.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

You're wrong. It's not unlikely to be Covid, natural immunity doesn't last all that long - less than one year is the expected timeframe. And we've already seen tons of cases of reinfection.

Define tons? Because the numbers are not that high.

quote:

Cases of reinfection of COVID-19 have been reported but are rare. In general, reinfection means a person was infected (got sick) once, recovered, and then later became infected again.Jan 6, 2021

From the CDC.

I also said she needed to be tested which means it could be.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, considering Covid isn't that old yet for people to get reinfected (at this point, only a handful of cases had made it out of China), and proving reinfection isn't super easy, there is literature about a significant number of cases. Of course the total numbers aren't all that high yet.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TheCenturion posted:

She was positively tested, or this was an inference based on timing?

Yeah, this is an important question. I've known a few people who "had COVID" (were never tested but had a bad cold in Jan-April 2020) and later caught the actual virus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

there is literature about a significant number of cases.

How many cases? I can't find this literature.