Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Started on my first Pain de Mie in my pullman loaf pan, so fingers crossed it turns out OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Still working my batard shaping. I’ve started adding 30% khorasan flour and have been really enjoying it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is dry milk anyway? Google says it’s some kind of powder? Literally never heard of powdered milk before. I did see it on a bunch of the King Arthur recipes and had no idea what it was especially cause it’s non-diary which makes even less sense.

How serious are they about the “we don’t recommend hand kneading” bit? I don’t have a stand mixer, and my hand mixer didn’t come with dough hooks.

E: I may have gotten something mixed up cause I coulda sworn those recipes said non-dairy dry milk.

They're probably all calls for non-fat dry milk.

It's usually made by spray-drying, so spraying milk into hot, dry air to evaporate the liquid into small powder droplets.

I think they use it since you can get a higher concentration of lactose/milk proteins than you could if you had used milk. The brioche recipe uses 28g of dry milk powder, which is usually about the amount used for a cup of reconstituted milk, but they're using only 1/4 cup of water.

I also looked up King Arthur's dry milk product page, it says you can use it and not have to scald milk. Apparently milk can soften the gluten structure in breads if it's not scalded since some of the proteins can break down the structure. Dry milk, by virtue of being spray-dried, is presumably already scalded.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KA specifically calls for full fat dry in their recipes. +

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

KA specifically calls for full fat dry in their recipes. +

It depends, a lot of the KA recipes I've seen say either their branded dry milk or non-fat dry milk from not them is fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does the fat content in milk to do bread? Like if a recipe calls for “milk” what’s the difference between using whole milk, 2%, skim milk, or non-fat milk?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fat in general inhibits gluten and makes things softer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Which is why things like biscuits and scones and brioches have fat in them.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Experimenting with my fancy flours and my sourdough starter and 70% hydration. This guy was:

* 260g bread flour
* 40g hard whole wheat
* 100g rye
* 15g honey

The crust is an absolute beaut, but I'm thinking I may try making a bigger batch next time in the pullman tin. The crumb was beautiful so I think it could work.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I may or may not just have spent a grand on a stand mixer...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

bolind posted:

I may or may not just have spent a grand on a stand mixer...

Hobart? Even the Ankarsrum is only $700

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I made some bread in the bread machine and I can't tell what went wrong. I normally make brown bread and it comes out great, but this time I used the 'standard bread' recipe after getting some powdered milk, since I never had any before I couldn't make this recipe.

It came out mostly fine but the top fell a bit, and it's less dense in the middle of the bread, with a big enough difference that that part will burn before the test of the slice toasts in the toaster.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was using 90 degree f water, but I put the water into the metal bread pan first and it must have lost at least five degrees from that, then added all of the rest of the ingredients then yeast on top. The recipe says to use 65-85 degree water.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Happiness Commando posted:

Hobart? Even the Ankarsrum is only $700

Varimixer Teddy. I'm not sure how well known they are in the US. It's basically a prosumer/small batch version of a pro stand mixer.

And it loving rocks. :getin:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bolind posted:

Varimixer Teddy. I'm not sure how well known they are in the US. It's basically a prosumer/small batch version of a pro stand mixer.

implied-power chonk design is the bsst

e:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's the happiest totally-not-a-monopoly-it's-all-for-your-safety plug standard!

(It's a pain in the dick as all appliances come with schuko and then I need a ugly rear end adapter or to change the plug.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bolind posted:

:aaaaa:

Be still, my restless credit card.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

:aaaaa:

Be still, my restless credit card.

Let me know if you need any more enablinginformation.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Are these bread? I don't know. They are sourdough at least.

Made some laskiaispulla, sweet cardamom buns filled with whipped cream and jam (or almond paste, if you have no taste):

Half of the dough turned into korvapuusti, or cinnamon buns:

First time doing sweet things outta sourdough, worked pretty well taste wise. The sourdough flavour is very mellow, but the dough turned a lot easier to handle and softer than my regular bun recipe.The cinnamon buns need some fiddling with technique, since now a lot of the butter-based filling seeped out in oven. Also they should have nib sugar on top but I forgot to buy it.

Sorry for the atrocius pictures, it's pretty dark here.

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 27, 2021

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Can you share your cardamom bun recipe? Chicago has a Swedish neighborhood with a fancy bakery that does amazing cardamom buns, but hell if I’m going to pay $7 for one bun.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I forgot to feed my starter for two days and when I went to feed it just now the consistency was very runny. Is that normal? I’m using a 1:1 whole wheat flour to water by mass ratio.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I forgot to feed my starter for two days and when I went to feed it just now the consistency was very runny. Is that normal? I’m using a 1:1 whole wheat flour to water by mass ratio.
I’m still pretty new at this but so far IME it gets runnier the longer it goes without feeding. I’m pretty sure it’s fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

yep that's p normal

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hutla posted:

Can you share your cardamom bun recipe? Chicago has a Swedish neighborhood with a fancy bakery that does amazing cardamom buns, but hell if I’m going to pay $7 for one bun.

Sure!

I hope this is understandable:

SWEET SOURDOUGH CARDAMOM BUNS

150g butter
5 dl / 2 cups milk
1 egg (+ other for brushing)
2 dl / 0.8 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
3 tsp crushed cardamom
2 tsp salt
200g baking-ready sourdough starter
11 dl / 4.5 cups bread flour
nib sugar

Melt butter, mix in the milk. The mixture should be warm, but not hot.

In a bowl, mix one egg, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt. Add the butter-milk mixture and starter, mix. Start adding flour and mix with hand until the dough just starts coming off from the bowl’s sides. Don’t add too much flour, keep the dough as soft possible.

Rest for 2 hours.

Roll the dough on a floured surface into 25-30 buns. Rest for around 5-7 hours, covered, in room temp.

Brush with egg and sprinkle nib sugar on top. Bake in 220 celsius/ 425 fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes until dark golden brown.

You can substitute vanilla sugar with other formats of vanilla as well, add just a bit. It's not meant to taste super vanilla-y. Nib sugar is optional. There can never be too much cardamom.

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 28, 2021

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

bolind posted:

I have the earlier version of that one - with the meat grinder, sausage and veggie processor... have no idea why they stopped adding those functionalities. I've also been using the big brother the Kodiak 30 - which is plain awesome!

But it is a mixer for life!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If I want to mail a starter to someone do I need to put ice packs in the package or anything? It’d be going from east to west coast. I’m also assuming I shouldn’t feed it the day I put it in the box since it’ll be in an airtight jar?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I want to mail a starter to someone do I need to put ice packs in the package or anything? It’d be going from east to west coast. I’m also assuming I shouldn’t feed it the day I put it in the box since it’ll be in an airtight jar?

Wouldn’t it make the most sense to dry it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dacap posted:

Wouldn’t it make the most sense to dry it?

I dunno, I’m new at this. How do I dry it?

E: spread it out on parchment paper until it’s brittle. Got it. Seems easy enough.

E2: I forgot though, I’m already mailing this friend a package and there’s room in the box to fit a small mason jar with a live starter.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 29, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dunno, I’m new at this. How do I dry it?

E: spread it out on parchment paper until it’s brittle. Got it. Seems easy enough.

E2: I forgot though, I’m already mailing this friend a package and there’s room in the box to fit a small mason jar with a live starter.

Jars go boom.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

The method I’ve heard works is to spread it thin on parchment paper, let it dry, ship it, rehydrate and feed.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Here's why you don't mail dough or starter while it is still living

https://twitter.com/ailsabm/status/433154320029454336?s=20

Definitely dehydrate the starter first. It's what the pros do.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Any recommendations on where to get sourdough starter?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

deedee megadoodoo posted:

The Dark Web

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

https://kensingtonsourdough.ca/

I’m in Canada, but they ship to the US as well

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
A few more:

King Arthur

Cultures for Health

Carl's Friends

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I made my own following King Arthur’s instructions. Take 1 part flour and mix it with 1 part water (same mass for both). Cover it loosely and let it sit. Every day dump out half of it and mix in 1:1 more flour and water. EZPZ

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Got this book for Christmas and it has more or less changed my life:

https://www.amazon.ca/Flour-Water-S...289632390&psc=1

I have been making the Overnight 40% Whole Wheat recipe a few times a week. It is better than any bread I've bought at a bakery or had in a restaurant. Highly recommend this book!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Fwsy is great.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I got mine from a local bakery. It was a nice add-on during those early pandemic days where it was impossible to get flour at the grocery stores and they were selling bulk at a markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

capturing a wild yeast is probably the closest i will come to my ancient hunter-gatherer roots, so i embrace it as a powerful achievement