Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Krataar posted:

Is AMC a decent buy if I actually plan on holding it till people are vaccinated?

I might be an idiot but I think AMC long term makes sense. Especially because due to the spike the other day they were able to leverage it to wipe out a lot of their debt. If nothing else I'm banking on a spike in their stock when everyone feels safe again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Crazyweasel posted:

Also watch what happens when dfv finally tells Reddit he pulls out...

As if they would tell the others they were pulling out

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kalit posted:

Is buying AAL a stupid thing to do now? Not looking at a quick turnaround but also don't wanna buy at 17 if it'll keep dropping down a ways lower in the next week.

I wouldn't count on it going significantly lower, personally. I got in in the 15s on Monday, and I'm expecting to hold through at least end of summer.

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Is there any logical reason for AAPL to have dropped 5% today?

Hell I woke up to like 5 news push notifications about jnj single dose vaccine thinking maybe resulting in a minor pop and it’s down 5% :silent:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Crazyweasel posted:

Seriously, it is so much in the public conscious now that I can only imagine behind closed doors Wall Street is laying down plans to not get completely hosed over, and instead make an amicable exit over the next few days.

Also watch what happens when dfv finally tells Reddit he pulls out...

They definitely made significant headway on exiting yesterday, even if they still ate large losses, when a lot of retail was stuck trading with one hand tied behind their backs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

could they do, idk an emergency fundraising for Gamestop that floods the market with new shares?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Shammypants posted:

Shorts are being slaughtered, not sure why the squeeze failing to come today says otherwise. Explain?

It's very hard to know if the squeeze has or has not happened yet. US short interest as a % of float is only released twice a month (last was on the 15th, next is today) and it says nothing about what price the shorts were initiated.

It's not likely, but what if today at close it comes out that the shorts are all closed out? There was a ton of volume earlier in the week, right as the shorts claim to be closing out (Melvin says they exited fully on Tuesday) and then volume dropped like a rock, and that volume drop was the day before the Robinhood/other restrictions.

It's very possible the squeeze is already done and we just dont know it yet.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

naughty joystick posted:

The rest of the market is on sale, stock up :rimshot:

I like this plan better than sitting on my AMC forever or stressing about Number all day.

Is there anything good but down that I should grab other than AAPL? Maybe some ETFs or cheap mutual funds since I'm probably going to stick it in Vanguard and forget about it for a year?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Bardeh posted:

I feel like the strategy with AAPL would be to buy during the downswings and wait for the nerds to poo poo themselves over whatever gadget Tim Apple pulls out of his rear end at the next keynote.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shammypants posted:

Shorts are being slaughtered, not sure why the squeeze failing to come today says otherwise. Explain?

There were people literally ITT earlier this week asking how to short GME. I would bet, at this point, most of the "at risk at the end of the month" hedge funds have eaten the loss on their 1/29 shorts (aka, why the price was "stable" yesterday even though so many retail investors could only sell) and the remaining shorts are ones due long after 1/29 (and a fair few are probably retail investors with a taste for risk). "slaughtering" only happens when you have to realize your losses, not just when you're behind on paper on something a month or more out

the end, no moral

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/modestproposal1/status/1355208503602917381?s=19

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So you have a feeling the shorts are safe on a relatively minor loss, but it’s just a feeling. That’s fine but it’s a feeling.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Haha so with a phone call they managed to turn the tide to save their shorts.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Srice posted:

I might be an idiot but I think AMC long term makes sense. Especially because due to the spike the other day they were able to leverage it to wipe out a lot of their debt. If nothing else I'm banking on a spike in their stock when everyone feels safe again.

I know past prices don't predict future prices or anything, but the last time pre covid AMC was worth this much was sep 2018. It's not like they were a $30 stock pre covid and are temporarily hamstrung because no one can see movies. The movie going landscape has changed significantly and they were kinda bleeding out even before covid.

Maybe people returning to theaters will cause a bit of a jump but assuming they'll go nuts in share price seems a bit presumptuous.

I also have no idea what I am doing, so maybe it will, there just seem like safer bets that will produce maybe a little less profit without massive risk.

java
May 7, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

I like this plan better than sitting on my AMC forever or stressing about Number all day.

Is there anything good but down that I should grab other than AAPL? Maybe some ETFs or cheap mutual funds since I'm probably going to stick it in Vanguard and forget about it for a year?

WMT still feels pretty undervalued to me tbh, but my tastes are pretty boring.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bardeh posted:

The whole technology sector is severely overbought by people who started trading last year, on huge amount of borrowed money.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The pros are smelling blood. poo poo's gonna be ugly if this continues and they realize they have the public's and regulator's approval to squeeze every short

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There were people literally ITT earlier this week asking how to short GME. I would bet, at this point, most of the "at risk at the end of the month" hedge funds have eaten the loss on their 1/29 shorts (aka, why the price was "stable" yesterday even though so many retail investors could only sell) and the remaining shorts are ones due long after 1/29 (and a fair few are probably retail investors with a taste for risk). "slaughtering" only happens when you have to realize your losses, not just when you're behind on paper on something a month or more out

the end, no moral

Shorted stock does not have an expiry. They're just paying a poo poo ton of interest on these shorted shares

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

jokes posted:

Haha so with a phone call they managed to turn the tide to save their shorts.

Anyone in finance or finance-adjacent was 100% aware of the plans for Thursday morning with about a half hour left in the trading day Wednesday.

Seems borderline illegal to me

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Looking at the chat I’m looking for a baby version of what happened Wednesday with AMC where the stock runs up high to about 3PM before it sells off at 3:45 prior to market close.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Just to be clear, no one here has real evidence the shorts are safe. I’ve heard nothing convincing me.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Shammypants posted:

Just to be clear, no one here has real evidence the shorts are safe. I’ve heard nothing convincing me.

My guess is they hedged, as much as possible.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Shammypants posted:

Good luck my friend, I hope you win big

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Srice posted:

They are currently above their price pre-covid this is a short squeeze get out while it is up rebuy when it's low again. 5/10/19 is the last time they were $13 a share.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Shammypants posted:

I agree with this. They're trying to make everything look normal with a slight lowering of price over the day with claims of "WE COVERED!" to try to get people to sell and then they can exit cheaper.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Good luck my friend, I hope you win big

I already made a lot earlier, I’m in with like 6 140 dollar shares for funsies. Im just skeptical of people trusting Melvin spokesman when the data suggests otherwise.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Love how much this is all proof of the class division in the world. Not even the petit bourgeoisie is allowed an attempt any more to get to the big boys. It's all walled off until you can provide capital with high returns (eg founding a company that will give investors 1000% returns)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

pixaal posted:

They are currently above their price pre-covid this is a short squeeze get out while it is up rebuy when it's low again. 5/10/19 is the last time they were $13 a share.

Conversely if AMC is able to withstand the COVID storm and other theaters aren't then they're primed to take up that gap in the market.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If the big boys didn't take advantage of yesterday's fuckery they deserve what they get today.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

cr0y posted:

If the big boys didn't take advantage of yesterday's fuckery they deserve what they get today.

If it goes up they'll probably make even more money

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Shammypants posted:

I already made a lot earlier, I’m in with like 6 140 dollar shares for funsies. Im just skeptical of people trusting Melvin spokesman when the data suggests otherwise.

I read your posts and it looks like you are trying to convince yourself. So I would look really hard at your money and ask yourself if you are willing to let it go to zero.

With that said, I totally believe some fuckery is going on and they are trying to get people to back down. I was going to close my positions on the meme stocks but after this bullshit yesterday with not letting people buy, I have told myself that I am holding until it hits $1,000 so I don't give a gently caress anymore if it craters to zero.

GoGoGadgetChris is being a negative nancy but he is being very rational and he is probably right (I hope not).

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cr0y posted:

From what i read they shorted EVEN MORE so they could capitalize on the 400-150 drop with their ladder selling gobbling up other peoples shares who are getting scared and selling, but that wouldn't mean they got out of their shorts if they shorted even more to at least profit from that drop.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

“Listen you’re only hurting these millionaires and billionaires over here, but some other millionaires and billionaires may benefit.”

“Ok but those millionaires and billionaires get hurt right?”

“Well yes but.. stop!”

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m hearing rumours AMC shorts will expire at 2pm today.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

I read your posts and it looks like you are trying to convince yourself. So I would look really hard at your money and ask yourself if you are willing to let it go to zero.

I sold dozens of shares I bought at 40 for 350, I have literally 6 shares at 120 each left in the game. Don’t worry about me my man.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 29, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/NYT_first_said/status/1355207256447578119

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m hearing rumours AMC shorts will expire at 2pm today.

Tell whoever said that to you that they're a liar. Shorts don't "expire"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

And neither do puts, not at that time anyways.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

how on Earth does this fit with the thesis that Robinhood had to stop allowing GME buys due to capital requirements? Somebody is lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Okay, decided to put in some play money into the poop because it's fun. 5 contracts of GME $9 puts 2/26 for $100 per contract. I don't think it'll be back to single digits by the end of next month necessarily, but I'm hoping for a major crash down in the next few weeks to make some profit. I'll also keep another 500$ in reserve to double down if GME goes to 1k or whatever.

Let's see where we are in 2 weeks.