Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

I think bot quality has just gone up in general. The good teams seem to understand that it's more important to be able to survive a lot of big hits than it is to deliver big hits yourself. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like bots have gotten a whole lot sturdier in recent years.

There's a ceiling on how much you can hit, right? Like they limit the max speed of a weapon? If there's still room for bots to get sturdier but no more room for Tombstone to hit harder, well sucks to be Tombstone.

There's a max tip speed, but that doesn't limit the amount of mass you can put behind it. Though I guess there's a practical limit, given you need to power the weapon and have an overall weight limit. Deep Six is a pretty good example of pushing that boundary, though I'm not certain they got near the max weapon speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RBA Starblade posted:

I know they like Tombstone as a heel or whatever but lol everyone's got it's number now

The guy just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I generally like him. But he did seem a little sore losery in this episode.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel that the arena hazards aren't dangerous enough. The hammers should hit harder and the saws should trigger more often. Right now they aren't even really hazards; no one changes their driving style to avoid them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

He's been getting crushed all season to the point where there's a real chance he might not make the cut so I understand it. Tombstone has been extremely reliable for the past four years and seeing it get stomped not once but twice by strong competitors puts it square into focus that while his design has stagnated the competition has not.

That initital loss against Endgame especially just, whooof.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

oh jay posted:

Literally the only time I can remember that he didn't take the loss well, it was kinda weird honestly!

That Huge vs Kraken fight owned though, dang

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think he really thought he still had controlled movement but bots were counted out for less

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tombstone is getting out-meta'd tbh, the bots are slowly being more and more sturdy and Tombstone blows itself up from those impacts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I think he really thought he still had controlled movement but bots were counted out for less

Yeah that was dumb. He should know if he loses a wheel he's toast.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Literally the only time I can remember that he didn't take the loss well, it was kinda weird honestly!

That Huge vs Kraken fight owned though, dang

I loved that one loss of Ray's when he sees Tombstone smoking and says, "that's batteries" matter-of-factly, resigning himself to defeat.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
feeling good about my "tombstone is not going to do well" prediction, which i am sad about more now because i like tombstone a lot. simple straightforward "i'm going to destroy you or you're going to destroy me", no nonsense about minimizing ground clearance or maximizing control. they are very valid ways to win a match but tombstone guarantees entertainment. otherwise the end point is going to be three dozen hydras with dumb anti-huge frames, pushing each other forever.

bots have gotten reliable enough and wedges strong enough to send tombstone into the air multiple times, and in those fights idk if ray could ever improve on it enough to survive it consistently :shrug:

ray plays a villain but in every other form of media he's clearly a nice guy who is having fun.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

ray plays a villain but in every other form of media he's clearly a nice guy who is having fun.

Yeah, Ray definitely plays a character when he drives, but it melts the second he interacts with his stepkid. :3:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

logikv9 posted:

bots have gotten reliable enough and wedges strong enough to send tombstone into the air multiple times, and in those fights idk if ray could ever improve on it enough to survive it consistently :shrug:

Ali wasn't number one forever either. And to tombstones credit, it was still working. Just not in one piece.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

That initital loss against Endgame especially just, whooof.

Kind of disagree. Like he lost to Endgame but, it was really only from a perfect hit that sent Tombstone out of the arena.

And I also kind of see why Ray would be confused about getting counted out there since they usually don't start counting out bots that are still getting pushed by the other bot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Kind of disagree. Like he lost to Endgame but, it was really only from a perfect hit that sent Tombstone out of the arena.

That wasn't luck. They plainly stated their gameplan before the match and that was that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

That wasn't luck. They plainly stated their gameplan before the match and that was that.

Sorry, they had their gameplan yes, and did it. What happened though, was complete luck and outside of their game plan. Tombstone got stuck on the edge of the box, and they got the exact perfect hit where Tombstone went out of the arena.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sure, but in alternate reality where Tombstone didn't they would have just hit it again or repeated their strategy. Tombstone somehow winning despite that scenario would in fact have been down to luck.

Are you trying to be pedantic? I feel like you're being pedantic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh jay posted:

I think he probably was upset because he wanted to look good in front of his kid

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

logikv9 posted:

The fact that several other teams this season only made it to the tournament because of his mentoring speaks volumes about his character

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

maybe magnets to try to hold Tombstone to the floor and keep it more grounded would be one way to try to improve, but i can't imagine there's a way to make them weighty enough against those hits

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i think the only changes he came into this season with were new bar geometries, since weapon fuckery is what cost him last year. I’m legitimately curious what significant changes he can bring next year to improve his chances other than finding some other way to further optimize an already drat optimized bot

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

He could switch to brushless drive. Those looked like pretty chunky motors for a bot that doesn't really push.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

He could probably go with a lighter bar and use the additional weight for even more reliability on the rest of the bot. It's the design philosophy that Carbide's team used in Robot Wars in order to survive the attrition of that competition. (their heaviest bar is 20 lbs lighter than Tombstone's lightest bar)

But then you get a less powerful Tombstone, and that just doesn't sound right. :colbert:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MiddleOne posted:

Sure, but in alternate reality where Tombstone didn't they would have just hit it again or repeated their strategy. Tombstone somehow winning despite that scenario would in fact have been down to luck.

Are you trying to be pedantic? I feel like you're being pedantic.

You seem to be a little bit, or you want to move your goalposts around. Tombstone is not getting "crushed" all season and it wasn't a big Whooof that he lost to Endgame after 2 perfect & lucky hits. The Endgame fight won't be a major factor to the selection committee and Tombstone will most definitely be in the 32 and make a good run.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Give Tombstone some wheel armor

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bodyholes posted:

maybe magnets to try to hold Tombstone to the floor and keep it more grounded would be one way to try to improve, but i can't imagine there's a way to make them weighty enough against those hits

Walker-Tombstone

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I was really happy for Skorpios that he got the win, it must have been a great feeling to know it :boom:loving WORKED!!:boom:

Also I have been poisoned by the internet because I could not see anything other than Goatse in the 'War?ez!' bot.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rondette posted:

I was really happy for Skorpios that he got the win, it must have been a great feeling to know it :boom:loving WORKED!!:boom:

Also I have been poisoned by the internet because I could not see anything other than Goatse in the 'War?ez!' bot.

No Ring you degenerate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lotta good Skorpios content in the second episode of Bounty Hunters btw. Hard not to love that team.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

That fight was great, though I couldn’t believe that Skorpios kept throwing itself at an almost dead Tombstone. I was almost sure they were going to sabotage themselves.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like the part where kraken was biting onto huge while being rolled around

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I really thought huge was going to get burned to death by complete control mk2 but I guess it escaped since the majority of the flame was on the weapon bar aka a solid chunk of metal

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

I really thought huge was going to get burned to death by complete control mk2 but I guess it escaped since the majority of the flame was on the weapon bar aka a solid chunk of metal

Sawblaze's tank rupture and Huge shrugging off the best case scenario for flamethrower contact really seems to underscore just how pointless flamethrowers are. All that weight and space just to make your bot more vulnerable.

Still cool, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well the rules say flat out that flamethrowers are primarily there for showmanship\

that said they do count like a primary weapon for the damage category

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, even when the flamethrower bots get the other guy cornered and go HAM with the fire on what looks like a vulnerable spot, nothing really happens. I can't imagine heat/fireproofing the circuitry, etc. on these things would be very difficult compared to everything else the teams have to do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The flamethrowers do seem to melt/disable plastic and rubber tubing used for pneumatic and hydraulic systems from damage reports we've seen before, so there is definitely a use there. But it's ancillary to looking cool.

I think Gruff can gently caress a robot up with its actual flamethrowers versus the little butane torches most robots have for what it's worth.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Yeah, while not common, sometimes a flamethrower does work. I think there was a recent episode where they talk about how kraken lost its air pressure because a hose melted through.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

rarbatrol posted:

Yeah, while not common, sometimes a flamethrower does work. I think there was a recent episode where they talk about how kraken lost its air pressure because a hose melted through.

Yeah, there was mention of that.

I would also say that it might work somewhat on HUGE's wheels if only to make them even more floppy and weaker but there's only been one match that I can recall where they fought a flamethrower and still won.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think the big issue with flamethrowers is that most of the rules restrict weapon power to minimize the damage it can do to the battlebox. If you had a flamethrower powerful enough to really gently caress up another bot... it would probably gently caress up the battlebox quite a bit.

Although obviously some of the spinner bots still manage to cause damage anyway... although seems like the new floor is holding up really well this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Speaking of the arena, it’s still very weird to me that they’re just flat-out not activating the killsaws this season. Was that ever explained?