Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I would certainly love to see better image hosting than imgur. We always joke about what classic threads would look like if imgur went under but it truly would be a tragedy. If we do end up with our own image hosting, might also be good to use a script to automatically transfer imgur files over and update the links.

Image hosting might be a tall order though, it's a lot of files especially with the kids these days and their 15 megapixel cameras and their 3 minute gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Imgur would be great if I didn’t constantly get API errors when trying to use it via the awful app. If it worked the way it was designed you’d never even notice that you were using Imgur.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Palpek posted:

Oh wow, there's a second angle

this is a damned renaissance painting

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

alnilam posted:

I would certainly love to see better image hosting than imgur. We always joke about what classic threads would look like if imgur went under but it truly would be a tragedy. If we do end up with our own image hosting, might also be good to use a script to automatically transfer imgur files over and update the links.

Image hosting might be a tall order though, it's a lot of files especially with the kids these days and their 15 megapixel cameras and their 3 minute gifs

I don't think we should wait for a new SA image host to be online before doing this. While we can be reasonably certain that imgur will stick around for a while, we have no idea what they'll do with older files as they continue monetizing their platform.

All the imgur links on SA should be scraped, cross-referenced and archived for when poo poo hits the fan, even though it will take some resources to do so.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Wibla posted:

I don't think we should wait for a new SA image host to be online before doing this. While we can be reasonably certain that imgur will stick around for a while, we have no idea what they'll do with older files as they continue monetizing their platform.

All the imgur links on SA should be scraped, cross-referenced and archived for when poo poo hits the fan, even though it will take some resources to do so.

It's worth remembering that this was one of the purposes of both Photoshop Phridays and Comedy Goldmine articles, to reliably archive at least a representative sample of the best threads and their images. They were really more for morale but still, there's a backed-up record at all, that's something.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Palpek posted:

Oh wow, there's a second angle

I mean, honestly, this just needs to be the background to the entire forums.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I don't know what I'm doing then, but it doesn't require me to watch a video to upload something. I tried it with and without ublock turned on in Chrome and it was the same either way. I do have a free Imgur account, but I haven't had to watch any ads ever.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
^ I've seen the imgur emerald thing personally, so it's not a joke image - they're clearly doing AB testing and slowly turning up the heat on the boiling pot

We should edit the post-adding script to scan for any imgur links and automatically curl them for a backup, and once that's in place run a db query to grab all existing linked images and churn through backing them up. Once there's an archive of images, it'll be easy to transfer them to the new server and (optionally) modify the existing links in the post db.

For comedy points, we could buy the old waffle domain if it's cheap

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 29, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its interesting skipping from a thread where someone is railing about how excessive computer usage is a massive drain on the planets limited resources to a thread where someone is talking about redundantly leeching and storing every meme posted here as extremely important cultural artifacts.

Might wanna keep in mind that we are already being archived by the Library of Congress, so its unlikely that imgur dying will cause everything to go poof to the ages.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

^ I've seen the imgur emerald thing personally, so it's not a joke image - they're clearly doing AB testing and slowly turning up the heat on the boiling pot

Once I saw the ad-wall I decided to swap to:
https://postimages.org/

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Its interesting skipping from a thread where someone is railing about how excessive computer usage is a massive drain on the planets limited resources to a thread where someone is talking about redundantly leeching and storing every meme posted here as extremely important cultural artifacts.

Might wanna keep in mind that we are already being archived by the Library of Congress, so its unlikely that imgur dying will cause everything to go poof to the ages.

I think the LoC thing turned out to just be certain select things from the front page, they are not actively archiving the entire forums.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

alnilam posted:

I think the LoC thing turned out to just be certain select things from the front page, they are not actively archiving the entire forums.

My understanding is it's the entire front page but that's it. And we were never able to confirm that it was still happening.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

My understanding is it's the entire front page but that's it. And we were never able to confirm that it was still happening.

You can go to the LoC website and the listing for SA shows the last time it was updated. It was still doing so last year, but appears to only update every few months.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

You can go to the LoC website and the listing for SA shows the last time it was updated. It was still doing so last year, but appears to only update every few months.

Cool, thank you. I just remembered it being spotty and nobody having a solid reason for why. Some of the older records seemed more thorough.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cool, thank you. I just remembered it being spotty and nobody having a solid reason for why. Some of the older records seemed more thorough.

https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/

There ya go. I'm in the bathtub phoneposting so I'm not going to go through to see what got archived, but its as recent as 2020.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Wow, 176 snapshots, mostly between 2014 and 2019. Nothing from 2020 yet. And not nearly everything from any period. Too bad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wow, 176 snapshots, mostly between 2014 and 2019. Nothing from 2020 yet. And not nearly everything from any period. Too bad.

:sad:

Everyone need to call their congresscritters to have this travesty fixed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It does feel bad when things on the internet are lost to the ages. Not even the waybackmachine can save it all. All we are is goatse in the wind...

TurboC
Sep 6, 2009

This is the best thing anyone's ever done with my ugly mug

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pick posted:

let's put low tax behind us, including whatever sum of money he got. he is not relevant any more.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

You should amortize the cost of the site over time and pay yourself back some of the purchase price. IMO.

Unless you killing it irl and have money to spare. I guess. But even then.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

You should amortize the cost of the site over time and pay yourself back some of the purchase price. IMO.

Unless you killing it irl and have money to spare. I guess. But even then.

This is a legit idea, I think you'd have the support of the huge majority of the users since you're putting in actual work

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

i am a moron posted:

If someone posts something bannable then ban them. Quit probating people it’s weak

Nick/post combo.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I will suck genitals for dark mode.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

BubbaGrace posted:

Get the app. You can still suck genitals though if you wish.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BubbaGrace posted:

if this is not feasible, a option to add our own CSS so we can do this ourselves

I would probably make the "User control panel" link bigger when I am browsing the site on my iphone, and maybe the "last page" link

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 29, 2021

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

BubbaGrace posted:

Firefox > Dark Reader

(im sure other browsers have an equivalent-- uh just be warned that spoiler warnings won't work because inverted colors)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just read yospos exclusively

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Start a Patreon, I'll support it. The last few years have convinced me utterly that nearly any other form of internet communication is deleterious to society as a whole, while also convincing me that the real world impact of ironic message boards cannot be denied. There's few other places where I actually look forward to reading other people's posts and opinions at this point.

SA forever.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Supreme Allah posted:

Firefox > Dark Reader

(im sure other browsers have an equivalent-- uh just be warned that spoiler warnings won't work because inverted colors)

This is the reason I don't use dark reader, cause the stupid spoiler poo poo. Please build in a dark mode.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
Paying for content for the front page seems like a great use of the money. We've had some very talented authors (Zack Parsons comes to mind, in particular) who have created fantastic content here over the years which might not exist or may have been far less easy to come across had it not been for the frontpage. Additionally, there are many artistic and talented goons (twoday and 2Dcat come to mind because I'm a c-spam main but there are definitely many more as the recent travelling showcase proved) who might appreciate having articles promoting their work AND linking to the threads where they're posting it in case any readers want to talk to the artists. Non forum members encountering SA this way would be more likely to register if the vibrancy of the community was highlighted like this.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sing Along posted:

Paying for content for the front page seems like a great use of the money. We've had some very talented authors (Zack Parsons comes to mind, in particular) who have created fantastic content here over the years which might not exist or may have been far less easy to come across had it not been for the frontpage. Additionally, there are many artistic and talented goons (twoday and 2Dcat come to mind because I'm a c-spam main but there are definitely many more as the recent travelling showcase proved) who might appreciate having articles promoting their work AND linking to the threads where they're posting it in case any readers want to talk to the artists. Non forum members encountering SA this way would be more likely to register if the vibrancy of the community was highlighted like this.

Interesting idea, and if I could make a further suggestion... based on this thread, there seem to be a fair amount of goons who are unemployed or underemployed due to the pandemic. If you are considering paying for front page content, why not give starving goons first crack at it?

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Gynovore posted:

Interesting idea, and if I could make a further suggestion... based on this thread, there seem to be a fair amount of goons who are unemployed or underemployed due to the pandemic. If you are considering paying for front page content, why not give starving goons first crack at it?

This seems like a fantastic addition. I had sorta taken for granted that we'd be finding content creators internally and from people who'd done it in the past, but I'm realizing that commissioning content made by people with known internet presences (which they could then post links to from their social media) would also be a good way to attract traffic and signups.

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 30, 2021

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
Further along these lines, an asset that SA has which isn't immediately apparent is its 75 domain authority according to Moz's DA rankings. This means that there are almost certainly people who would be willing to create content for the front page in exchange for an embedded backlink to their websites. All links posed on SA are tagged as nofollow by default, which means that they don't count from an SEO perspective, but that could be changed for these front page posts specifically and it would absolutely attract people if they were aware that it was a possibility.

I have no idea about Jeff's thoughts here but if the forums are managed to the standard that it appears that they're being and we start to see healthy growth and more people being added to payrolls of various kinds, running this more like a co-op intended to create a sustainable and unique cultural space and invest in the production of culture is something that I believe would be appealing to pretty much everybody posting here.

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 30, 2021

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It’s time to shed the front page. Make the forum index the front page. It’s been dead for months and nobody outside of sa has cared or noticed. The domain will never trend anywhere with high thanks to grandfathered algorithms from the “poison womb” days of edgelorde trash content.

Let it die. Don’t waste money on it. Make it available as a zip file for anyone that must see hulk hogan defeat the twin towers once more and yuck it up at fart smelling deviants, but like lowtax it’s time for his beloved front page to be shelved and slowly forgotten.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

shadow puppet of a posted:

Jeff please install a copy of TradeWars on the somethingawful server and link to it from the main navigation header without fanfare or comment and it will fast grow in legend as the most infamous TW instance ever and draw in a host of envious 40-50 year old huge nerd.

Hell yes. In fact we need door games

TW2002
LORD
SRE

all that poo poo it was so fun

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gynovore posted:

Oh god Trade Wars. The memories that brings back.

Seriously. When I found the stardock? I felt like a loving king I tell you

Wait oh my god there's graffiti in the shitter?? Oh wow

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tei posted:

if this is not feasible, a option to add our own CSS so we can do this ourselves

https://add0n.com/stylus.html

there are 2 SA dark mode styles around but userstyles.org is down at the moment

edit:
https://userstyles.org/styles/149412/something-awful-dark-theme
https://userstyles.org/styles/150498/something-awfully-wronger

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Use the money to buy some land on Hawaii then let goons start a perfect new society there, maybe build a gate together and get injured while trying to hunt a wild boar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I hear Lowtax's asking price dropped 10% when he figured out it included yoare poasts