Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

An Apple glucose monitor is just going to be an app reminding you to taste your pee. Is it sugary? Congratulations, you've got high glucose.

The rumors seem to say both Apple and Samsung are coming out with watch-based glucose monitors. So either the rumors are bullshit or a 3rd party company figured this out and is licensing the tech.

It has a vampire tap impaling your wrist every time you put on the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Fly Ricky posted:

Trying to update my S3 it tells me I don’t have enough free space. The update itself is less than 300MB and I have 2GB free. I probably don’t even want the update, but I can’t stand the notification and if it slows my watch to a crawl I’ll have a reason to upgrade.

This a known issue?

This is the straw that broke my back and why I finally upgraded to an SE from my 3... such a pain to deal with every time an update comes out.

That and the 3 felt extremely sluggish with the last few releases... The SE is incredibly fast. meh.

But yeah, unpair and repair is how I got through that. It is a known problem, but I don't think they care since it increases sales from suckers like me. :P

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

jink posted:

This is the straw that broke my back and why I finally upgraded to an SE from my 3... such a pain to deal with every time an update comes out.

That and the 3 felt extremely sluggish with the last few releases... The SE is incredibly fast. meh.

But yeah, unpair and repair is how I got through that. It is a known problem, but I don't think they care since it increases sales from suckers like me. :P
Yeah... this one singular thing almost broke me and made me upgrade from my S3. Thankfully the last few OS point updates have been... weirdly fine? I still decided to either wait til S6's are in the refurb store or just hold out more until the 7, but... *ugh* it can be such a pain in the rear end.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I haven't updated my S3 for like 6 months now, can not be bothered to re-pair the thing every time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I recently went from an S2 to an SE because of the upgrade issue as well, you basically had to wipe the entire watch if you wanted to run an update and it ran like total poo poo, it reminded me of using iOS12 on my old 5s

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Krispy Wafer posted:

An Apple glucose monitor is just going to be an app reminding you to taste your pee. Is it sugary? Congratulations, you've got high glucose.

The rumors seem to say both Apple and Samsung are coming out with watch-based glucose monitors. So either the rumors are bullshit or a 3rd party company figured this out and is licensing the tech.

I'm guessing it is going to be some overall health play instead of an actual medical glucose monitors because 1. I doubt Apple wants to be in the life or death regulated medical market, and it is seriously life or death, people die all the loving time because of improperly managed blood glucose, someone I knew died just last year, blood sugar crashed in his sleep, his husband found him in a coma that he never came out of. 2. You need a doctor if your blood sugar is that f-ed up, not an Apple Watch.

I'm guessing it is going to be fairly rudimentary vague thing like telling you not to eat right before bed, or you might feel lovely because of your general eating habits, not like an actual number.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I'm guessing it is going to be some overall health play instead of an actual medical glucose monitors because 1. I doubt Apple wants to be in the life or death regulated medical market, and it is seriously life or death, people die all the loving time because of improperly managed blood glucose, someone I knew died just last year, blood sugar crashed in his sleep, his husband found him in a coma that he never came out of. 2. You need a doctor if your blood sugar is that f-ed up, not an Apple Watch.

I'm guessing it is going to be fairly rudimentary vague thing like telling you not to eat right before bed, or you might feel lovely because of your general eating habits, not like an actual number.

Holy cow, that's terrible. :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah they can probably skirt the issue by only alerting when your sugars seem to be above or below your range, and direct the user to check it with a glucose monitor.

I'm a type 1 diabetic with a dexcom that has a watch complication and it's so great to look at my watchface and see my blood sugar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

I'm a type 1 diabetic with a dexcom that has a watch complication and it's so great to look at my watchface and see my blood sugar.

Too bad the phone side is trash. "This app currently being tested for compatibility with this version of iOS" 10 months out of the year. :jerkbag:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well I think they went the medical route on the ECG. Every single watch update it’s like “yeah ECG is enabled in 2 more countries even though this thing has been a thing for 2 loving years.”

Then on the blood oxygen sensor they were like “yeah gently caress it, this isn’t legally a medical advice” and just gave it to everyone so they didn’t have to go through all the governmental regulation agencies.

I assume the glucose sensor will be similar to the oxygen sensor.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Trying to update my S3 it tells me I don’t have enough free space. The update itself is less than 300MB and I have 2GB free. I probably don’t even want the update, but I can’t stand the notification and if it slows my watch to a crawl I’ll have a reason to upgrade.

This a known issue?
Yeah kinda, although the fix (if it's the issue I had) isn't really well known. Mine was basically bricked for months after trying to reset/re-pair and then still not being able to update, until I finally found this trick:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251353285?answerId=252619764022#252619764022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well I think they went the medical route on the ECG. Every single watch update it’s like “yeah ECG is enabled in 2 more countries even though this thing has been a thing for 2 loving years.”

Then on the blood oxygen sensor they were like “yeah gently caress it, this isn’t legally a medical advice” and just gave it to everyone so they didn’t have to go through all the governmental regulation agencies.

I assume the glucose sensor will be similar to the oxygen sensor.

I think the difference is, an ECG isn't actually information that is actionable to a consumer, it's basically just give this poo poo to a doctor, a consumer might be tempted to self "treat" their metabolic disorder instead of going to a doctor.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for everyone’s help with this lousy S3 and the update. I eventually just wiped it. That bricking problem sounds awful.

Now to get annoyed at how slow it is and buy a new one. :toot:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I think my stands minutes is glitched out? 150 min per hour seems impossible. Anyway i can fix it?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The new black history month watchface is really good (also nice that they threw a bone to us S3 users for once)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That Nike silicone sports wrist band seemed to have inflamed my median nerve, because of the constant pressure on it, even tho it was relatively loose (but not loose enough to ruin HR tracking). That's sure some loving fun.

--edit: After some more googling, it turns out that it's some useless tendon that evolution didn't get rid of (palmaris longus tendon), and it is a tendonitis I guess. I should have figured nerves don't run that close under the skin.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 29, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any tips on cleaning the velcro sport strap? I have seen one to submerge in warm water then give it a scrub with an old toothbrush with some soap or baking soda.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear the watch into the shower every so often and use bar soap on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I wear the watch into the shower every so often and use bar soap on it.

Yeah this. Also applicable to most bands I suppose. It’s the same strategy I now use on my solo loop.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wash it with hand soap. If it smells (and if you can smell it, then everyone else can) vinegar + baking soda rub. Or just soak it in vinegar. Vinegar does wonders.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Toss your nylon straps into a bra bag and add them to a 30C washing machine every couple months

(Or shower with them on)

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Sniped an eBay auction for a Series 3 for $102 since I didn’t want to commit to a new one. I know support is limited compared to the more recent models but it’ll work and give me an idea if I want to get a new one later when the 3 stops working.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Got an Apple Watch SE, pretty slick. Upgraded from an S3

idk tho. I got average size wrists, and I lowkey miss the 38mm:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nike has the Nike Edition 44mm Apple Watch SE for only $232

https://www.nike.com/t/apple-watch-se-gps-with-nike-sport-band-44mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-G4mfk4/MYYK2LLA-060

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

My watch stopped charging until I rebooted it. If I hadn’t, and the battery ran out completely, would it have been bricked?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Lol I got the unity challenge badge on February 1st even though 7 days hasn’t even passed.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lol I got the unity challenge badge on February 1st even though 7 days hasn’t even passed.
:same:

Sloppy coding!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah same. Wondered if it just meant you had to close it in Feb.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Same here lol

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I think you had to do seven days in a row, but only the last of the seven days needs to be a February day.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

gently caress me my feb challenge is to average burning 699 calories a day, guess going to have longer workouts , however shoveling snow on”other” workouts does a good job too since here in Michigan winters you can easily spend 45 min shoveling

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The challenges are a never ending death march.

Last month it told me I needed to burn 57k calories, which is over 1,800 a day.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Last year I got 9/12 so maybe Apple was like you need pain. I mean copy and paste sucks on ios14 isn’t that enough?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sonatinas posted:

gently caress me my feb challenge is to average burning 699 calories a day, guess going to have longer workouts , however shoveling snow on”other” workouts does a good job too since here in Michigan winters you can easily spend 45 min shoveling

Mine's 721 a day :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is 1150 cumulative exercise minutes, an average of 41 per day. I'm already behind. :negative:

As an aside, I've been using Fitness+ and it's pretty good.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

156 km in a month.

Doable, cause I average 10km a day, but I did also just get this Apple Watch in December so my Challenge goals haven't transformed into some insane slog....yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

I think you had to do seven days in a row, but only the last of the seven days needs to be a February day.

Except the Ring in the New Year one was given to me on the 7th of January even though it’s the same thing.

Snuffman posted:

156 km in a month.

Doable, cause I average 10km a day, but I did also just get this Apple Watch in December so my Challenge goals haven't transformed into some insane slog....yet.

I hate these distance related ones because it doesn’t count bicycling distance into it. So gently caress you if you’re one of the 15+ million people living in the Netherlands that commutes by bicycle everywhere.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 2, 2021

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
2500 exercise minutes for me :negative:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

sonatinas posted:

lol i have to average 1040 move calories a day on a short month. Eat my entire rear end Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sefal posted:

2500 exercise minutes for me :negative:

Mine is 3,060. Or 107 minutes a day. Please Tim, have mercy on me.