Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I found that being were quite tolerant of me repeatedly wiping the duty playing on a touchscreen with no mouse/keyboard but as soon as the leaf went away the toxicity skyrocketed.

Novice network is still absolutely worthless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

The tough thing is designing a game with intentional downtime that also doesn't feel boring. But I think the potential for danger at any moment in EQ is one of those things that helps. But when games like WoW started becoming popular they started filling off the hard edges, but in doing so they made the game taste bland. You need that spice.

That's right.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

galenanorth posted:

That's like one of the most basic things I found out about the game from the Wikipedia page regarding the features which each expansion adds. It doesn't spoil anything more than the title of the game Skyrim spoils finding out the name of the setting from an NPC. Weird

Or, you know, you open up the ingame map and see entire northwestern corner of it is dedicated to Ishgard

eonwe posted:

I thought the sprout system in FFXIV was awesome. When I was new, people always knew it and taught me the mechanics. When my sprout went away and I saw sprouts, I started teaching them stuff.

Yeah people tend treat sprouts nicely, it's just NN that sucks for unrelated reasons.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

LLSix posted:

FFXIV wastes people's time in lots of egregious and obvious ways too. I don't think that can be pointed to as a major differentiating point.
WoW is deliberately designed that players need to spend X amount of time doing Y tasks (each taking Z minutes) to stay "current" with the game on a daily/weekly basis. One of the devs (probably Ion) let this slip in early BfA when people were complaining about it being a lovely expansion. FFXIV lead dev's response to someone complaining about running out of content was basically "Go play something else and hopefully we'll see you back with the next patch".

Even though they're both fundamentally diku-clones, the above does count for something.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Novice Network has been and always will be a cesspool of every bad idea on the internet, being defended by the most fragile people.

The game became much better when I stopped trying to be helpful and left it.
Funniest thing about Blizzard's recent levelling changes/tutorial zone/etc. was they looked at all the things Square-Enix does to make newbies seen as a boon, not a penalty and went "Ah, yes. The Novice Network. That's what we need to add to WoW".

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What's a diku clone? I'm just getting weird articles for Dikut from Star Wars

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

A type of MUD (text based RPG game for really old people)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Biowarfare posted:

A dikuMUD clone, from which most of the MMO genre is descended.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Biowarfare posted:

:corsair:

So yeah, Everquest was very much like DikuMUD but with a 3D engine bolted on (to the extent SOE had to put out a legal statement to confirm that there was actually zero DikuMUD code in EQ), and WoW is "EQ but made by Blizzard" & FFXIV is at least partially "WoW but made by Squeenix" so there's a pretty clear line of descent there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Itzena posted:

:corsair:

So yeah, Everquest was very much like DikuMUD but with a 3D engine bolted on (to the extent SOE had to put out a legal statement to confirm that there was actually zero DikuMUD code in EQ), and WoW is "EQ but made by Blizzard" & FFXIV is at least partially "WoW but made by Squeenix" so there's a pretty clear line of descent there.

In their defense, going from a MUD to a 3D MMO is a gigantic amount of work; and transforms every aspect of gameplay including combat -- fundamentally.

I played a ton of MUDs back in the day and worked on a couple and enjoyed them but you can't kite in a mud, and group camping wasn't a thing in any mud I played either.

But yeah, EQ -> WoW -> FFXIV is a pretty fair lineage.

I would say Ultima Online influenced EQ as much or more than DikuMUD.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always considered UO and EQ being the two ways MMOs coulda gone and since WoW chose EQ that's how the whole genre went.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

FFXI was very much EQ made by Squeenix.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want to be a mentor so that I can queue up for mentor roulette and get ramuh ex instead of gil turtle

edit: this isn't the ffxiv thread is it

blatman fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 30, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Last time I went on a MUD, all six people on the server greeted me, and I immediately left.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://massivelyop.com/2021/01/30/report-shines-light-on-mismanagement-bro-culture-and-chasing-trends-at-amazon-game-studios/

its shocking to find out that the company that has reworked New World MMO like 10 times is chasing trends

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
What if there will never be another good MMO.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The article posted:

confirmation that initial designs of New World had Native American enemies that were redacted only after the studio hired a tribal consultant to confirm that was offensive;

was there anyone who didn't get a sinking feeling immediately upon seeing the aesthetic

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

eonwe posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2021/01/30/report-shines-light-on-mismanagement-bro-culture-and-chasing-trends-at-amazon-game-studios/

massivelyop posted:

Crucible is one such example, but there are other canned projects like the League of Legends-like game Nova that was scrapped in 2017 and the Fortnite-like game Intensity that was binned in 2019.

Imagine having all the money in the world to spend on making something cool and new and interesting. Instead, you decide to remake Fortnite and League of Legends...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's pretty funny that one of the most successful company on Earth's game division is running at Curt Schilling level.

I really don't understand making a MOBA when League and Dota have the market totally locked down down. poo poo you're too late for the battle royal craze let alone that genre.

Cardboard Fox posted:

What if there will never be another good MMO.

There won't be.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All the good MMOs have been made and the structures perfected-- we just don't like them for what they are. The internet is ubiquitous enough a MMO will never be good, because doing things online was the novelty that made MMOs good. The best an MMO has to offer now is a good/fun gameplay or a good story/setting, but those could also make excellent single player games.

Arguably modern WoW would be better as a single player experience, since all the bad/lovely/grindy things are specifically MMO things that could be done away with in favor of a good single player experience, with a sprinkling of group content. Like FFXIV in a lot of ways. But, of course, WoW story is kinda dogshit so that would be hard.

jokes fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 31, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

nah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jokes posted:

All the good MMOs have been made and the structures perfected-- we just don't like them for what they are. The internet is ubiquitous enough a MMO will never be good, because doing things online was the novelty that made MMOs good. The best an MMO has to offer now is a good/fun gameplay or a good story/setting, but those could also make excellent single player games.

Arguably modern WoW would be better as a single player experience, since all the bad/lovely/grindy things are specifically MMO things that could be done away with in favor of a good single player experience, with a sprinkling of group content. Like FFXIV in a lot of ways. But, of course, WoW story is kinda dogshit so that would be hard.

I didn't mean there couldn't ever be a good MMO again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, I don't think there ever could be given "the industry" and the history of the genre. There might be MMOs worth playing, but a good MMO is hard to fathom.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jokes posted:

Well, I don't think there ever could be given "the industry" and the history of the genre. There might be MMOs worth playing, but a good MMO is hard to fathom.

That's more "won't be" than "couldn't be". It'd be possible to make a good MMO but like you said there won't be due to the market and industry.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's more "won't be" than "couldn't be". It'd be possible to make a good MMO but like you said there won't be due to the market and industry.

I agree; I'm with you.

I'm glad there's good opportunities to play old MMOs as they were, like a lovely time capsule. Keeps my nostalgia at bay so I don't start thinking EQ/FFXI/WoW are actually good games.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

there will be good mmos in the future, but they'll mostly be about holodeck sex

jokes posted:

I agree; I'm with you.

I'm glad there's good opportunities to play old MMOs as they were, like a lovely time capsule. Keeps my nostalgia at bay so I don't start thinking EQ/FFXI/WoW are actually good games.

but you can't play old MMOs as they were, not really. you're telling me you're going to log onto a modern (even a private, retro) FFXI server and see 8 teams camped out in the desert near selbina?? the sense of population was so important. modern MMOs are all very empty no matter how many people are actually playing, the withered husks of old MMOs are also empty and therefore can't function properly...i mean wow classic is alive right now, but in 5 years it will be with EQ and FFXI on life support

we eagerly grasped the opportunity to convert MMO experiences into effectively single-player games when blizzard gave us the chance, and the existence of that streamlined experience killed the genre outright because there aren't enough people who really, truly want to play an MMO to sustain more than a couple of games at best. and half of those people are tied up in eve online

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 31, 2021

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

all the bad/lovely/grindy things are specifically MMO things

this development philosophy is also why the genre is on life support

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I’ve rejected modernity and started playing Asheron’s Call again. To even further regress, it’s a Dark Majesty era server.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

eonwe posted:

its shocking to find out that the company that has reworked New World MMO like 10 times is chasing trends

Get Jason Schreier on this pronto.

oh wait he's the only one who can do this lol

We really need more good games journalists doing this kind of work.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
the real part of old mmos were the friends you made along the way, and that will never come back

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

:sigh:

I want to be excited for this game, but there is just so many red flags.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

While the article was critical of Amazon Game Studios in general, there was a bit in there that was positive about the current direction of New World so I guess there is still some small hope.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

yeah the actual bloomberg article is by him

Its funny, I remember Jason before he became a real games journalist. He was a shitposter on GameFAQs / LUElinks and was trying even then to break in to the industry. Everyone gave him a lot of poo poo, but you know what, he kept with it and he is the only game journalist I actually respect now

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Durendal posted:

I’ve rejected modernity and started playing Asheron’s Call again. To even further regress, it’s a Dark Majesty era server.

Which server?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

eonwe posted:

No mention of the new LotR mmo, but I'm guessing that'll also be dropped.

Durendal posted:

I've been meaning to pick AC up again, but so far there's been no concentrated movement to a single server.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’d love a new LotR game but I’d also be relieved to hear the Amazon one got canned. After following the New World thread I had no faith in that being good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

eonwe posted:

quote:

Much of the report seems to suggest that the problems start at the top with Mike Frazzini, the leader of Amazon’s games division, who has yet to make a game and has reportedly frustrated veteran developers with basic takes and an inability to distinguish between gameplay and concept footage.

This world is full of hard working talented indie developers who given a budget could do amazing things, and Amazon decides to put someone with zero experience in charge of their entire games department to otank several multi-million dollar projects in a row.

Everything is so stupid.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jokes posted:

"All the good multiplayer games have been made and the structures perfected -- we just don't like them for what they are. The internet is ubiquitous enough a pvp shooter will never be good, because doing things online was the novelty that made pvp shooters good."

Nah man.

Video games are art, the problem space is infinitely massive. We'll never run out of new ideas for social games.

Kaysette posted:

Jason is only good by default because he tries and almost nobody else in gaming does. He's pretty heavily flawed himself.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

I’m playing on the Seedsow server. It takes extra setup since it uses modified .dats

Go here https://seedsow.ca to get started.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

If you folks do start playing, my main is Selene. I’ll try to hook you up with some starting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Durendal posted:

I’m playing on the Seedsow server. It takes extra setup since it uses modified .dats

Go here https://seedsow.ca to get started.

sounds interesting- what is the server population like?