Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

One of the most poisonous ideas in American society is this thing where if you ever change your mind and say something different then you did in the past, or hold a new position based on new data, you're a wishy-washy hypocritical flip flopper, and the good honorable thing to do is to stick to your first impressions forever no matter how many times they're proven wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

So, heads up about bailouts, the hedgefunds that got most hosed (namely Melvin Capital) already got bailed out. Not by the government though, by other hedge funds run by their compadres and close associates. Those hedgefunds had billions of dollars in Melvin Capital and threw money in the hole cuz it was cheaper than losing their whole investment.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's not different; Republicans have always been really into unity and cooperation and focusing on the economy when they're not the ones in charge.

It does look like things might actually go a different way this time. Biden has torched every executive order and Trump appointment that could be overturned without a vote, there are plans in motion to get rid of obstructionist tools and big chunks of voter suppression, and all the loudmouthed republicans crying about this are either the ones who also either inspired a gaggle of chuds to try to murder congress, or are Mitch McConnell, and both groups are rightfully being told to go gently caress themselves.

Who's to say how long it lasts, but the first week of the Biden administration has been a lot better than what you'd expect.

Also unlike every President since....... ummm..... IDK(*)? Biden has been in the heart of Washington DC for nearly 50 years and has a fairly complete understanding of how Federal power works. He didnt need to learn anything to get started in his new job, he knew how to move from day 1 and he knew who to talk to. Most politicans no matter how expeienced in say state level still need time to really get to grips with the unweildy beast of Federal level and of course Biden was VP on top of that.

( (*) Gerald Ford was the last US President with a substantial Federal political career before the Presidency. George Bush Snr had a brief Congressional seat but was mainly of course an ambassador and then head of the CIA. Biden's been in a position of Federal politics since Ford himself except for of course the brief period after Obama's term ended)

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ramirez loves Navalny because they see Muslims as the same kind of insect

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Leaving aside that this guy has apparently aged really badly in, being generous, 30 years,* what even is the intended message here? Just that the game stop thing is a dumb prank by immature dummies who don't understand how real life works unlike me, the mature sophisticated guy who draws cartoons for a living?

* I don't know for sure, but laptops for students (and going by "state u", explicitly not rich students) doesn't seem like it would've been that common much before the mid 90s?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Gladys Berejiklian hits out at Annastacia Palaszczuk after JobKeeper extension proposal, coronavirus border closure (ABC)
Palaszczuk (Queensland premier, Labor) pleaded for an extension to the JobKeeper program to help her state's tourism industry, the federal government and the New South Wales premier Berejiklian (Liberal) have said it's Palaszczuk's own fault for closing the border to NSW when they had outbreaks.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Vib Rib posted:

Turns out it's all made up!
When I was a kid I wondered what actually controlled the numbers. Everyone seemed a slave to them. Where did they come from? What gave those numbers meaning? What rules do they follow? What benefit do they bring to our lives? I figured it would make sense when I grew up, but all that happened is the pretense fell off.

I have a movie for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ1sZSCz47w

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

One of the most poisonous ideas in American society is this thing where if you ever change your mind and say something different then you did in the past, or hold a new position based on new data, you're a wishy-washy hypocritical flip flopper, and the good honorable thing to do is to stick to your first impressions forever no matter how many times they're proven wrong

Hell, even if you give them no benefit of the doubt, pushing forward with your agenda when your previous politics become mainstream is a fairly intelligent move for anyone with radical politics; unless a $15 minumun wage was all you were aiming for in politics it makes sense to update your goals when the previous ones were achieved.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Screw you, Duck, my non-denominational winter tree makes me smile and life is depressing and last year it came down on reading break. Might do the same this year.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Vagabong posted:

Hell, even if you give them no benefit of the doubt, pushing forward with your agenda when your previous politics become mainstream is a fairly intelligent move for anyone with radical politics; unless a $15 minumun wage was all you were aiming for in politics it makes sense to update your goals when the previous ones were achieved.

They haven't been achieved, though. The minimum wage increase hasn't been made into law yet. Would it be so hard to say "thanks for taking this important first step, now let's get it done and go further?"

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 30, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Took a break from this thread during Covid because the initial "all the Dems do is complain while Manly Man Trump, Who Is Manly, is doing a great job" cartoons from wingnuts were so reprehensibly stupid, come back, and see that they're doing the same Democrat-killed-are-jobs poo poo they were doing during the Obama years. Hey, how did American manufacturing and farmers make out during the Trump years, you hacks?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Jurgan posted:

They haven't been achieved, though. The minimum wage increase hasn't been made into law yet. Would it be so hard to say "thanks for taking this important first step, now let's get it done and go further?"

Rhetorically, it depends on where someone considers their postion relative to the party mainstream. Appearing as a hardliner on an issue, and in turn encouraging others to act similarly, could definitely be more effective when you know you're not part of the majority opinion within the party structure.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson visiting Scotland – Boris Johnson has urged Scottish nationalists to stop ‘talking endlessly’ about another independence referendum and concentrate instead on recovering from the Covid pandemic"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Independent:

After Bert Thomas.

Times:

Evening Standard:

UK vaccine strategy 'paying off' as latest trials boost stockpiles

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... millennial humour

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... millennial humour

I loving hate you, Thomas.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jurgan posted:

If the precedent hadn't been so firmly established that the "important first step" is nearly always intended to also be the last step, I would see where you were coming from.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

D.N. Nation posted:

Took a break from this thread during Covid because the initial "all the Dems do is complain while Manly Man Trump, Who Is Manly, is doing a great job" cartoons from wingnuts were so reprehensibly stupid, come back, and see that they're doing the same Democrat-killed-are-jobs poo poo they were doing during the Obama years. Hey, how did American manufacturing and farmers make out during the Trump years, you hacks?
Over 430,000 dead from Trump's handling of the pandemic but let's all fret about couple thousand oil pipeline workers!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I loving hate you, Thomas.

just such active anti-comedy, the Neil Hamburger of comics, how can you hate this perfect oaf?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The banality of evil.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
:siren: Please nominate additional cartoons for the 2020 Kellies! :siren:

The nomination thread is here.

I will be compiling the current set of nominations this weekend, but we still are in dire need of additional candidates! The deadline is February 7!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

:siren: Please nominate additional cartoons for the 2020 Kellies! :siren:

The nomination thread is here.

I will be compiling the current set of nominations this weekend, but we still are in dire need of additional candidates! The deadline is February 7!

I think people were using keywords if you're willing to search them but if you're not nbd.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

fool of sound posted:

I think people were using keywords if you're willing to search them but if you're not nbd.

There are and I'm compiling them as well (I proposed the keyword thing iirc and the thread search is making it way easier, thank Jeffrey), but it's not nearly as many as any prior year. The whole thing's been delayed for weeks, so we're desperately trying to get more activity.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The thread also just had a lot less activity last year. I get it. I kind burned out on trumptoons around 2018 and inky was kinda reading the thread in 19-20.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was pretty obvious from early on that trump would herald an absolutely dire wasteland for political comedy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Niric posted:

Leaving aside that this guy has apparently aged really badly in, being generous, 30 years,* what even is the intended message here? Just that the game stop thing is a dumb prank by immature dummies who don't understand how real life works unlike me, the mature sophisticated guy who draws cartoons for a living?

* I don't know for sure, but laptops for students (and going by "state u", explicitly not rich students) doesn't seem like it would've been that common much before the mid 90s?

I think the narrative that has been getting pushed is that the whole Gamestop thing was orchestrated by basement dwelling neckbeards who are only in it for the lulz, and that's why it's actually a bad thing that a bunch of hedge fund managers are eating poo poo right now.

So yeah, just "Big dumb immature babies playing with toys not meant for them."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I kinda tapped out on political cartoons last year, so I don't really know what the real dregs were for nominations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Politicians aren't your friends and they don't need to be thanked for (barely) doing their jobs.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 30, 2021

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I'm almost to August in the 2020 thread I have bookmarked. I'll read a page or two when this thread is slow.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

If we take free speech seriously

Then we also have to let those who we fear to be heard.
(That's ABB, the guy who blew a bomb and shot a bunch of kids.)

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Lodin posted:

Looks like mass murder is even creeped by her deadpan stare.
I don't think freedom of speech guarantees that someone should listen to you.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lodin posted:

We heard him just fine the first time around , yo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lodin posted:

Wow, when you first posted this cartoon I thought it was too bland to hate, guess I was wrong.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Captain Kosmos posted:

Looks like mass murder is even creeped by her deadpan stare.
I don't think freedom of speech guarantees that someone should listen to you.

Why aren't you listening to me??

I AM BEING SILENCED. SILENCED!!!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

(The blonde woman is the prime minister of Norway, the guy with the beard is the minister of health and the two others are from the national health institute)

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

:smuggo:

Let's get some finnish poo poo in here.
How you recognize lies and scams?
Speech bubble: They often say with big letters "lie" or "scam".
Then there's some leaflets about Suuri Holokausti huijaus(Great Holocaust lie) and Ilmastonmuutos valhe paljastuu(Climate change lie revealed) etc.

Someone had been dropping Covid-19 propaganda leaflets in mailboxes at Turku. That's what the cartoon is probably referring to.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/turku_residents_seeing_covid_conspiracy_pamphlets/11760409

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Somfin posted:

We heard him just fine the first time around , yo

Yeah, I was just a few blocks from where the fucker blew up his bomb.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ben Garrison posted:

They’re unnecessary because COVID-19 survivability rate is 99.7 percent!
A little late, but seriously gently caress that guy. Assuming everyone did what he is suggesting, how many millions of people would die? Like "Congratulations, you killed 0.3% of the population, cementing your position as the biggest mass murderer in history!".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Indiana_Krom posted:

A little late, but seriously gently caress that guy. Assuming everyone did what he is suggesting, how many millions of people would die? Like "Congratulations, you killed 0.3% of the population, cementing your position as the biggest mass murderer in history!".

Good news is that if the death rate is 0.3%, it means there won't be more than about a million dead in the US, so you are already halfway there.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

steinrokkan posted:

Good news is that if the death rate is 0.3%, it means there won't be more than about a million dead in the US, so you are already halfway there.
No because you see all the people who've "died" of "covid" so far were actually killed by pneumonia that they just happened to have at the same time somehow :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ "Died with or from Covid-19?" :smug:

Indiana_Krom posted:

Trump already showed that "Sacrifice your grammy for Moloch" approach didn't really work, so it's weird that still some people are going for it.
Also we don't know what kind long term effects covid has, atleast that one lung transplant patients original lungs looked like poo poo. Having country full of sicky people doesn't sound very good.

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 30, 2021