Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bloodstained is Castlevania now. That's all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think iga would want to work for konami again

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'd prefer they just keep independent and making more Bloodstained anyway

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BexGu posted:

Oh come now you now there is some one high up in Konami that is butthurt that Iga left to make his own Castlevania and had some moderate success with it. Our only hope is some makes a "gently caress you" Castlevania sort of like Capcom with Mega Man 11.

I don't think anyone really wants a Konami-produced Castlevania in this day and age where Konami itself doesn't give a poo poo about its gaming IPs unless they can be used to squeeze out as much cash as possible from mobile gaming or pachislot. The soul of the Konami of years ago has all pretty much left for one reason or another.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Copyrights and IP should only be allowed to be held by real people. Konami isn't real, why does it get to own things it didn't even think of, because it can't lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can they sell or license out the FOX engine already.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think anyone really wants a Konami-produced Castlevania in this day and age where Konami itself doesn't give a poo poo about its gaming IPs unless they can be used to squeeze out as much cash as possible from mobile gaming or pachislot. The soul of the Konami of years ago has all pretty much left for one reason or another.

If Konami made a Mega Man 11 quality Castlevania, I'd gladly take it. Or even if they just farmed it out somewhere and we got something with the level of effort Super Bomberman R wound up getting put into it over time I'd be happy

I'm just not hanging out for that possibility now that we have Bloodstained as a good replacement

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

License out Suikoden you fuckers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

sgbyou posted:

License out Suikoden you fuckers.

Get ready for the Suikoden dating sim.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Between Bloodstained, Blazing Chrome, Eiyuden Chronicle, etc., at this point Konami doesn't really need to make new games. However it would be great if they made their past titles more widely available. They've actually done a good bit here with the Castlevania and Contra collections and the SotN releases on PS4 and mobile. I'd like to see SotN on the Switch though, as well as a second Castlevania collection where they bring over the GBA and DS titles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Bloodstained is Castlevania now. That's all there is to it.
:hmmyes: Only thing it's missing is the actual branding/characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O485TqiyfqU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol that owns. Surprised it’s not DMC-ed yet.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Plays well, too. And if you like it, here's a spiritual sequel.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just found out this crossover game for the NES called "Konami Wai Wai World" exists.

quote:

Playable characters

Konami Man: The game's main protagonist who only made cameos in Konami games before this game.
Konami Lady: A female android created by Dr. Cinnamon to fight with Konami Man.
Goemon: This ninja from the Ganbare Goemon series is found in the Medieval Japan level.
Simon Belmont III: The descendant of the Vampire Killer from the Castlevania series is found in the Castle level.
Getsu Fūma: He is from the Famicom game released only in Japan, Getsu Fūma Den. He is found in the Underworld (or Hell) level.
Michael "Mikey" Walsh: The lead character in The Goonies film and the Famicom games, The Goonies (sold in retail only in Japan) and The Goonies II; he is found in the Cave level.
Moai Alexandria: Numerous Moai are usually enemies in the Gradius series and a playable character in Moai-kun; he is found in the Easter Island Temple.
Kong: From the Japan-only Famicom game King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch which was based on the film King Kong Lives (King Kong 2 in Japan). He is found in the City level.
Upa: The baby protagonist from Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa who only appears in the mobile phone version as a replacement for Mikey. He is found in the Candy level.
Penta: The main protagonist from Antarctic Adventure and a father of Pentarou who only appears in the mobile phone version as a replacement for King Kong. He is found in the Antarctic level.
Vic Viper: The spaceship from the Gradius series. The player can only play this ship in the shooter stage.
TwinBee: From the TwinBee series. Like the Vic Viper, the player can only play this ship in the shooter stage.

As far as I'm concerned, that lovely 80's King Kong movie and The Goonies are now objectively canon to Castlevania lore. If your timeline of Castlevania doesn't account for the adventures of Mikey and Chunk and the gang, its wrong.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Wonder Labyrinth is on sale for 20% off but only for a few more hours another 24 hours I guess. It's reaching full release on the 27th.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 11, 2021

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They've also said the price will go up once it hits full release (probably to a similar price point to Lunar Nights) so I'd grab it now if you're interested.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

There aren't enough people in my life that understand my bad castlevania jokes

https://twitter.com/HourComeAtLast/status/1370561936413233156?s=19

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Team Ladybug's Record of Lodoss War game is fully released now. Now those are some chunky pixels

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HolyKrap posted:

Team Ladybug's Record of Lodoss War game is fully released now. Now those are some chunky pixels

That looks amazing but I’ll wait for some Goon impressions and comparisons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How much longer of a game is "fully released" compared to the blinkanditsover of the demo.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Nate RFB posted:

How much longer of a game is "fully released" compared to the blinkanditsover of the demo.

It's a Team Ladybug game so it's probably on the shorter side, but i thought the demo was them just adding stages as they developed them? When I first bought it I'm pretty sure it was only stage 1, this release says it's added stages 5 and 6.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Team Ladybug games are all very pretty, very solid, and 6-8 hours long.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

That looks amazing but I’ll wait for some Goon impressions and comparisons.

If it's anything like the other Team Ladybug games, it should be pretty good:

Pharaoh Rebirth +

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256661321/movie480.webm?t=1457510101

Touhou Luna Nights

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256753317/movie480.webm?t=1560532061

Gensokyo Night Festival

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256797707/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1598233434

I wish they would bring the Konosuba, SMT, and Fate/stay games they made to Steam or anywhere, but seeing as how they were made as semi-promotional things I doubt it'll ever happen.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 27, 2021

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FanaticalMilk posted:

I wish they would bring the Konosuba, SMT, and Fate/stay games they made to Steam or anywhere, but seeing as how they were made as semi-promotional things I doubt it'll ever happen.

The Konosuba game is really good. I'd love to see that get an official localization.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

HolyKrap posted:

It's a Team Ladybug game so it's probably on the shorter side, but i thought the demo was them just adding stages as they developed them? When I first bought it I'm pretty sure it was only stage 1, this release says it's added stages 5 and 6.

Yeah it wasn't a demo it was early access.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I just beat Wonder Labyrinth. Never touched it in demo/ea because I wanted a "pure" experience.

6 hours in one sitting.

Game play was really good. The fact that you're not glued to the ground when you swing a weapon along with the ability to attack angles is welcome for me because it means that all weapon types become more useful rather that a specific few. I used a wide variety of weapons vs like igavanias I stick to a few specific ones.

The ikaruga style element switching was fun and added a fresh layer of complexity. Enemies hit hard and spells use lots of mp, but you can use this to heal and fill mp. It rewards good play, but also gives you a way to recover when you mess up, as long as you don't mess up several times in a row.

I didn't find the bow to be super useful in combat except some specific circumstances. It actually is a great addition, but it's eclipsed by spells. There several bow puzzles, which were okay but I wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

Spells seem a bit too strong. They can trivialize both regular enemies and bosses if you use them effectively and pay attention to weaknesses. MP is almost never a problem. The pause you do when casting also acts as a buffer to react to enemy attacks as well.

The music was good and the areas were too, but neither of them blew me away or were very memorable. Not like Castlevania or blood stained (even cotm).

The boss fights were really loving fun. Even though spells could make them easy, I really enjoyed all of them.

Progression felt like it was tied to stage/level more than gear. And seemed to have xp walls so you don't really level easily until the next area. Everything gets hard again, and then you level a few times and it's easy, then going back to the previous area feels like a big drop in difficulty.

Everything was very solid but the depth of an igavania is not there. No armor/accessories, side quests, stories, special moves, etc. Map is smaller. Just more shallow over all, but that's fine. Everything that is here is ver good, there's just less of it.

Overall I feel like I got more than my money's worth ($10 on sale a few weeks ago.) I'd gladly pay double. More for a sequel.

If you never saw lodoss you will be very confused. If you did see lodoss you will be confused in a different way. It doesn't really matter.

Finally (ending spoiler)seems to have some after credits stinger that implies I could potentially get a better ending. will check it out tomorrow.

Very fun game to spend a couple evenings with in the genre.

itskage fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 28, 2021

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the write up. I bought it during the same sale waiting for the full release. Happy it sounds great, I’ll get on it when the Monster Hunter Rise addiction slows down.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

HolyKrap posted:

Hell yeah, Team Ladybug games are always so good, but tragically short.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sounds like a decent $10 game. I’ll leave it in the ol wishlist though. I still have to start the two Ori games I picked up during the last sale and I heard those are amazing. (At the second one is supposed to be.)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

itskage posted:

I just beat Wonder Labyrinth. Never touched it in demo/ea because I wanted a "pure" experience.

6 hours in one sitting.
Also waited until it was out of early access and gotta agree with pretty much everything you said. Game is great, but short. Not as large or complex as others but still rather fun. The sprite work that went into everything is absolutely gorgeous.

Bows I found quite useful because you can get some that do specific elemental damage instead of your equipped spirit. This lets you spam them against certain enemies and most bosses that are weak to elements you normally only get from spells without dealing with the cast animation or range limits on those.

quote:

If you never saw lodoss you will be very confused. If you did see lodoss you will be confused in a different way. It doesn't really matter.

Finally (ending spoiler)seems to have some after credits stinger that implies I could potentially get a better ending. will check it out tomorrow.
Being familiar with the franchise isn't really a requirement if you know any generic high fantasy setting. I know almost nothing and it made more than enough sense.

I've seen some conjecture about that but to me it seems like a simple tie-in to the forthcoming book this game serves as promotion for.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

itskage posted:

I watched the Lodoss anime, and finished the excellent Dreamcast game back in the day, and I still couldn't tell you what the plot was actually about.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It is almost literally a DnD campaign, I don't see what the confusion is. A band of adventurers quest to save the land from an ancient evil.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Swilo posted:

The sprite work that went into everything is absolutely gorgeous.

Oh yeah I completely forgot to mention that. While the stages weren't the most interesting, the sprite work and animation was fantastic.

Swilo posted:

Bows I found quite useful because you can get some that do specific elemental damage instead of your equipped spirit. This lets you spam them against certain enemies and most bosses that are weak to elements you normally only get from spells without dealing with the cast animation or range limits on those.

Yeah they're useful, it's just most of the time I'd just cast a spell instead. The game would be worst off without the and I do like them.

The thing that completely breaks spells is that you can normally only cast a spell once then you have to wait for it to finish to cast again. But if you switch to another spell you can immediately cast it as well. So you can alternate spells and perpetually slow down the fight while blasting two weaknesses. Or say use invisibility, switch to something else and blast the boss while they attack your clone. It's kind of a boring way to play and feels like playing DnD shadow over mystara with unlimited credits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gologle posted:

It is almost literally a DnD campaign, I don't see what the confusion is. A band of adventurers quest to save the land from an ancient evil.

Its actually literally a DnD campaign because wrote just took one the games he played with his friends and turned it in to novel that got super popular in Japan.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I played up to the first boss in Wonder Labyrinth and though it was solid, but held off because I wanted the full experience. Here's hoping this gets ported to the Switch too (just easier portability), their switch port of Luna Nights was really good.

I watched the OVA and series of Lodoss but it seemed pretty hands off and was just "hey there's this character Deedlit knows," which is fine for me. Hell, it's been so long since I've seen Lodoss that I was straight merging the first party they cover (with Parn and Deedlit) and the new party and cast they eventually switched to focus on (I swore that berserker dude who never got the chance to do anything awesome was a part of Deedlit's crew).

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Just so you know, while Gensokyo Night Festival here is still really good, it's not a Team Ladybug game, they're just both published by Playism.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

mdct posted:

Just so you know, while Gensokyo Night Festival here is still really good, it's not a Team Ladybug game, they're just both published by Playism.

Oh my bad, it looks like the Gematsu articles I was looking at had it listed wrong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Castlevania-adjacent news from Konami: they're resurrecting their old Famicom-era game Getsu Fuuma Den as a modern "roguevania", it'll be out on Steam Early Access next month and Switch next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3iuulEeQl8

The developer is a Japanese studio called GuruGuru who's mostly just done contract work on anime games and so on, nothing particularly noteworthy.

If you've never played Getsu Fuuma Den, it's an action-adventure game not too dissimilar to Castlevania, but more Japanese horror than western movie horror - the main character and stage were the final DLC for Harmony of Despair, and Zangetsu in Curse of the Moon is sort of a riff on that character as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Castlevania-adjacent news from Konami: they're resurrecting their old Famicom-era game Getsu Fuuma Den as a modern "roguevania", it'll be out on Steam Early Access next month and Switch next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3iuulEeQl8

The developer is a Japanese studio called GuruGuru who's mostly just done contract work on anime games and so on, nothing particularly noteworthy.

If you've never played Getsu Fuuma Den, it's an action-adventure game not too dissimilar to Castlevania, but more Japanese horror than western movie horror - the main character and stage were the final DLC for Harmony of Despair, and Zangetsu in Curse of the Moon is sort of a riff on that character as well.

Well that's interesting, I loved the track in Harmony of Despair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqr_HP4PTYY

I wish they made more stages for HoD, but this looks alright I guess. Kinda hard to see, the video compression looks broken even at 1080