Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Browsers tend to carry weighty exclusion and exception lists for different driver versions and hardware because use of 3D acceleration in ways that are different from usual game geometry patterns is typically pretty fragile (even more so than game stuff), and the source of much ulceration. Given the crap NVIDIA has pushed out driver-wise of late I wouldn’t at all be surprised to discover that they are at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Does anyone know of any other interesting single slot low power cards? I was looking at https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-GT-1030-2GD4-LP-OC/Overview but seems a little brutal at nearly $90 for a 20 watt card.

The older Geforce 210's don't work as they don't support 1440p or 4K on hdmi. All the AMD stuff I can find are big dual slot things with huge fans. This would just be for desktop and playing video occasionally, as the host interface on a machine setup for VMs with passthrough for a 3070. I would try to get by with a single adapter but there will be times when I have the main card passed through to a headless VM doing training and want a proper desktop on the host or another VM.

I almost wish I could get one of those new intel discrete GPUs.

A secondhand Quadro K2200 on eBay may be serviceable. Two DisplayPort connectors with dual-link DVI for $75 connect to what amounts to a GTX 750 Ti with 4GB RAM and a 68 watt TDP. I snagged one just now - it's not fit for demanding current games, but for outputting a signal it's flexible enough.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So these chrome black screens, are they about 3 seconds long and crash whatever video you're watching? because I'm getting the same issue with firefox, I'm seeing people on the nvidia forum with the same issue, when I pull up event viewer it says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" event id 4101

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hah, god drat. My non-ti MSI 1080 just sold on ebay for $500 after a few hours.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So these chrome black screens, are they about 3 seconds long and crash whatever video you're watching? because I'm getting the same issue with firefox, I'm seeing people on the nvidia forum with the same issue, when I pull up event viewer it says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" event id 4101
updating my mobo's BIOS fixed this for me
or possibly upgrading my CPU but I think the first one
alternatively, downgrade your drivers to whichever weren't doing this (below 461 maybe)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

updating my mobo's BIOS fixed this for me
or possibly upgrading my CPU but I think the first one
alternatively, downgrade your drivers to whichever weren't doing this (below 461 maybe)

Just updated my bios from 1502 to 1802 which seems like a big jump, hopefully that works. if this turns out to just be driver issues and not something I need to RMA over, that'd be great.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 30, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enos Cabell posted:

thats kinda gross. People be crazy

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

thats kinda gross. People be crazy

I'd almost feel bad, but I can't imagine gamers paying this much for 10 series cards. If miners wanna gamble $500 that they can make a return on a nearly 5 year old GPU then more power to em

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
EVGA short-circuited their own queue and dropped some 3070's on their website last night. I'm very lucky to have gotten one but still feels kind of bad. I understand why they have to keep moving some product to retailers, but on their own website I don't get why they'd jump the queue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Enos Cabell posted:

Say what? I have the one I was using pre-3090 sitting on my desk in a static bag until I install it in my gf’s computer, but she says her setup is fine and drat $500 for a 6-year-old card.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Romes128 posted:

Their 3080's do also.

Is that an MSI thing? Do we know the reasoning since most others seem to be 2x power leads?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Is that an MSI thing? Do we know the reasoning since most others seem to be 2x power leads?

Allows for more power to be pushed to the card for marginal performance benefits.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

slidebite posted:

Most brands have "lower end" models with 2xPCIe 8pin connectors and higher end models with 3x. The reality is that neither meaningfully impacts the performance unless you are a turbo overclocker using a semi bootleg 500w BIOS, and considering the results I've had with that... yeah, i dont really recommend anyone bother with it. If you are going for world records, you probably should be getting a Kingpin anyway. (or two!)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

slidebite posted:

The MSI 3080 Ventus OC has 2 PCI-e power connectors, it's only their higher-end Gaming X Trio that has 3. Whatever performance gains you get from this are dubious, however most power supply cables these days give you at least 2 plugs per port.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
You really should have 2 separate power cables for 30 series cards anyways because of the dumb amount of amps it passes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You really should have 2 separate power cables for 30 series cards anyways because of the dumb amount of amps it passes.

My 3060 ti only has a single 8 pin connector even though it's OC'ed to 220 watts, which seems perilously close to the 225 limit when factoring in draw spikes

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

My FTW3 Ultra 3080 has 3 PCIe ports. By trawling through the EVGA forums, you can find a download link for a BIOS that uncorks the wattage to 460W. This provides... single digit performance gains.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Forgot that the Ryzen I went with in this secondary build doesn't support onboard video, so after selling the 1080s I had to drop in this old passively cooled slot powered GT430 I dug out of the closet.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is a 1080ti to a 3060ti a straight upgrade? less watts, similar perf or better, add rtx and dlss.
Am I wrong in thinking this? Someone offered me 550 for the 1080ti I bought from a miner for 450 in 2018 and it seems like a no brainer, but not sure because i game mostly at 1440p

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

is a 1080ti to a 3060ti a straight upgrade? less watts, similar perf or better, add rtx and dlss.
Am I wrong in thinking this? Someone offered me 550 for the 1080ti I bought from a miner for 450 in 2018 and it seems like a no brainer, but not sure because i game mostly at 1440p

The 1080ti and 2070S were pretty evenly matched for a while and my 3060ti has killed my 2070S on benchmarks so I would think so, even before you add in the RTX/DLSS.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fauxtool posted:

It's kind of a side-grade, less VRAM, similar performance in most things, but newer architecture with RTX & DLSS. If you had the choice between the two cards at the exact same price, a gamer is always going to want to choose the 3060 Ti.
Don't sell the 1080 Ti unless you have the 3060 Ti in hand, though, because I can't imagine it'll be easy to get your hands on one

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

drat and I thought getting $425 for mine was good.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Enos Cabell posted:

Forgot that the Ryzen I went with in this secondary build doesn't support onboard video, so after selling the 1080s I had to drop in this old passively cooled slot powered GT430 I dug out of the closet.

that's a fuckin nice lookin card

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Subjunctive posted:

Browsers tend to carry weighty exclusion and exception lists for different driver versions and hardware because use of 3D acceleration in ways that are different from usual game geometry patterns is typically pretty fragile (even more so than game stuff), and the source of much ulceration. Given the crap NVIDIA has pushed out driver-wise of late I wouldn’t at all be surprised to discover that they are at fault.
Doesn't help that the Chromium developers don't have all the variants of GPU and display setups to test whatever is reported.

I have an issue that's specific to GSync and dual monitors. I mean, what are the chances a senior developer still plays games heavily enough to invest in a GSync display? (--edit: actually two of them.)

On my primary screen, anything video related that involves resizing on the fly or changing visibility (e.g. scrolling and the video goes out of view), things lag and hitch respectively. And whatever that hitching and lagging does, it leads to a GPU driver crash eventually. It all goes away when I disable GSync. It went as far as me making a simple HTML page with a video resizable by drag handle to supply a reproducible test case, but it ended up with them asking me practically "Did it stop yet?" because they apparently didn't have the means to reproduce the issue on their end. Hell I even uploaded video recordings demonstrating it.

Eventually I just stopped caring about all this and am disabling composition for video, because it went nowhere. The Youtube scrolling thing got fixed by NVidia tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 30, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That dude calling himself Major Hardware on Youtube is doing custom designed computer fan stuff for ages, and today he uploaded a video messing with a graphics card. He did put a fan design similar to the turbofans in airliner engines on a GPU, and that apparently cooled better at ostensibly comparable noise level. So why don't we have that poo poo on cards, if it's legit? It certainly can look cool.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

That dude calling himself Major Hardware on Youtube is doing custom designed computer fan stuff for ages, and today he uploaded a video messing with a graphics card. He did put a fan design similar to the turbofans in airliner engines on a GPU, and that apparently cooled better at ostensibly comparable noise level. So why don't we have that poo poo on cards, if it's legit? It certainly can look cool.

If it looks cool, it can't be on an EVGA card.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

material cost, reliability of each part, complexity of design in tooling, etc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Should have put the little white spiral on the spinner like the jet engines have.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thanks but no thanks; I don't want geese flying into my GPU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ufarn posted:

If it looks cool, it can't be on an EVGA card.

for teh winz0r! 3!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

HalloKitty posted:

It's kind of a side-grade, less VRAM, similar performance in most things, but newer architecture with RTX & DLSS. If you had the choice between the two cards at the exact same price, a gamer is always going to want to choose the 3060 Ti.
Don't sell the 1080 Ti unless you have the 3060 Ti in hand, though, because I can't imagine it'll be easy to get your hands on one

Benchmark is not a game, and there are lots of reasons number might not go up, but userbenchmark prefers the older card, and the numbers being posted in discords from the owners of 3060Tis and 3070s don't compare to the ones I'm getting from these 1080Tis.

In your position I'd only side-eye the existing card because of its age; replacing a cooler on a three-year-old card is a challenge you might want to fob off on someone else. I wouldn't spend money to move to anything less than a 3080.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 30, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

flakeloaf posted:

replacing a cooler on a three-year-old card is a challenge you might want to fob off on someone else.

Install a program to control fans, remove the fans and shroud from the graphics card, and cable tie some (software controlled from a motherboard header) fans to the heatsink. No cards shut down without fans these days, they don't care, they just look at the temps.
It's not a huge deal, at the end of the day its just fans. If you wanted to, you could find similar size and spec fans and use the original card's header, with a small amount of work.

Admittedly it's not no work, but dying fans isn't a reason to replace a card

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 30, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A good point. I remember macguyvering a 50mm fan onto my Voodoo 3 card with some bent PCI slot cover knockouts and e-tape. Sounded bad, looked worse, but it worked.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

flakeloaf posted:

Benchmark is not a game, and there are lots of reasons number might not go up, but userbenchmark prefers the older card, and the numbers being posted in discords from the owners of 3060Tis and 3070s don't compare to the ones I'm getting from these 1080Tis.

In your position I'd only side-eye the existing card because of its age; replacing a cooler on a three-year-old card is a challenge you might want to fob off on someone else. I wouldn't spend any money to move to anything less than a 3080.

Userbenchmark is straight up fraudulent FYI. Don't ever refer to it for anything. It'd be nice to have a resource that was a reasonably reliable to roughly compare hardware, but the operator of userbenchmark literally changes the way things are weighted to make sure scores end up the way he wants them to.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Good to know.

With the proviso that all benchmarks are artificial tests that are stupid and dumb, what are the cool kids using to do the thing these days? Passmark? 3DMark? Don't say furmark; I want to talk about fire, not start one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

In your position I'd only side-eye the existing card because of its age; replacing a cooler on a three-year-old card is a challenge you might want to fob off on someone else. I wouldn't spend money to move to anything less than a 3080.

Meanwhile over in not fake benchmark land UL has the average 3060ti score beating out the average 1080ti score by about 10% in time spy. The performance gap increases in timespy extreme indicating that the 3060 has an advantage at higher resolutions (memory bandwidth?)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

flakeloaf posted:

Good to know.

With the proviso that all benchmarks are artificial tests that are stupid and dumb, what are the cool kids using to do the thing these days? Passmark? 3DMark? Don't say furmark; I want to talk about fire, not start one.

Cinebench and 3DMark seem pretty popular.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Here’s my 3DMark time spy benchmark, which is a marked improvement over my 2070S by ~10 percent. My brother has that computer now so if anyone wants hard numbers on that I’ll have him run it.

E:Still willing to drop game/3DMark benchmarks if you want some numbers.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 30, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

:toot: :negative: :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think a lot of random benchmarks you see on the internet are simulated, or just extrapolated from where they "should" be given the specs.