Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The front page should just feature the new forum users guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Use the money to buy some land on Hawaii then let goons start a perfect new society there, maybe build a gate together and get injured while trying to hunt a wild boar.

We should build a zipline with the forum bux imo.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Mordiceius posted:

ngl, I'd not be able to resist dropping money on an @somethingawful.com email address.

I don't care if this marks me forever as a loser I'll do it in a heartbeat

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Pontificating rear end posted:

If you need a way to make extra money for the forums, I'll resubmit my idea of 'posting coins'

you buy the coins and then you give them out when posters make funny posts

the coins have no value

E...eripsa?? Is that you?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Sing Along posted:

Further along these lines, an asset that SA has which isn't immediately apparent is its 75 domain authority according to Moz's DA rankings. This means that there are almost certainly people who would be willing to create content for the front page in exchange for an embedded backlink to their websites. All links posed on SA are tagged as nofollow by default, which means that they don't count from an SEO perspective, but that could be changed for these front page posts specifically and it would absolutely attract people if they were aware that it was a possibility.

I have no idea about Jeff's thoughts here but if the forums are managed to the standard that it appears that they're being and we start to see healthy growth and more people being added to payrolls of various kinds, running this more like a co-op intended to create a sustainable and unique cultural space and invest in the production of culture is something that I believe would be appealing to pretty much everybody posting here.

Agree

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

shadow puppet of a posted:

It’s time to shed the front page. Make the forum index the front page. It’s been dead for months and nobody outside of sa has cared or noticed. The domain will never trend anywhere with high thanks to grandfathered algorithms from the “poison womb” days of edgelorde trash content.

Let it die. Don’t waste money on it. Make it available as a zip file for anyone that must see hulk hogan defeat the twin towers once more and yuck it up at fart smelling deviants, but like lowtax it’s time for his beloved front page to be shelved and slowly forgotten.

The front page brought me here. I don't care about SEO rankings or ad algorithms. If you publish good poo poo and your interface is at least ok, people will come. People less familiar with forums are going to get a lot of help from some links to good threads and articles from good posters.

That said it badly needs a redesign. Should move everything extant to old.somethingawful.com and make the front page just goldmined articles with the occasional piece of creative writing. Sometimes the forums go on the offensive (redditbomb) and it would be really nice to have a place friendly to public participation.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

ngl, I'd not be able to resist dropping money on an @somethingawful.com email address.

Yeahhh, I'd spend good money on that too

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It’s time to shed the front page. Make the forum index the front page. It’s been dead for months and nobody outside of sa has cared or noticed. The domain will never trend anywhere with high thanks to grandfathered algorithms from the “poison womb” days of edgelorde trash content.

Let it die. Don’t waste money on it. Make it available as a zip file for anyone that must see hulk hogan defeat the twin towers once more and yuck it up at fart smelling deviants, but like lowtax it’s time for his beloved front page to be shelved and slowly forgotten.

:emptyquote:

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

The front page brought me here. I don't care about SEO rankings or ad algorithms. If you publish good poo poo and your interface is at least ok, people will come. People less familiar with forums are going to get a lot of help from some links to good threads and articles from good posters.

That said it badly needs a redesign. Should move everything extant to old.somethingawful.com and make the front page just goldmined articles with the occasional piece of creative writing. Sometimes the forums go on the offensive (redditbomb) and it would be really nice to have a place friendly to public participation.

I agree with the redesign and split suggestions. This is the perfect opportunity to rebrand and shed the edgelord association just as we've shed the previous owner.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Some front page listicles that are just reformatted megathread OP's would go million miles. I check SA before making major purchases.

Picking a guitar
Car buying
Salary negotiation (goons have invented a complete nomenclature and game theory about these. See BATNA)
Lifting weights

Goons are good at coming up with simple, strong strategies with broad applications. That's a lot of value to offer the world. Review sites are G A R B A G E. The much-maligned goon hivemind is worth 100x what it's competition is.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 30, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pick posted:

The front page should just feature the new forum users guide

This should be the background of the front page, with buttons for guidance to the forums

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

Some front page listicles that are just reformatted megathread OP's would go million miles. I check SA before making major purchases.

Picking a guitar
Car buying
Salary negotiation (goons have invented a complete nomenclature and game theory about these. See BATNA)
Lifting weights

Goons are good at coming up with simple, strong strategies with broad applications. That's a lot of value to offer the world. Review sites are G A R B A G E. The much-maligned going hivemind is worth 100x what it's competition is.

this is a really good thought. I hadn't considered it, but I do the exact same thing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

you can't usually install extension on phone browsers

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Uncle Enzo posted:

redditbomb)

Oh hell yeah chief buddy! Let’s attract a ton of redditors here! Great thinking!

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Oh hell yeah chief buddy! Let’s attract a ton of redditors here! Great thinking!

might pick up some decent users. worst case, sa gets some :10bux:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

alnilam posted:

I would certainly love to see better image hosting than imgur. We always joke about what classic threads would look like if imgur went under but it truly would be a tragedy. If we do end up with our own image hosting, might also be good to use a script to automatically transfer imgur files over and update the links.

Image hosting might be a tall order though, it's a lot of files especially with the kids these days and their 15 megapixel cameras and their 3 minute gifs

I do think SA needs its own independent image hosting ability. In house ability to control ones own destiny (not to mention preserving the images) is key to survival.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I am referring to the "redditbomb" media packet created by a set of GBS users in 2012 that highlighted the pervasive sexualization of minors on reddit. Goons spammed it to every media outlet in the western world. That easily-digestible set of links got r/jailbait onto Anderson Cooper and led to reddit's subsequent policy changes that got that poo poo banned from their site. The "redditbomb" changed the world (a little) dude.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Slippery posted:

I do think SA needs its own independent image hosting ability. In house ability to control ones own destiny (not to mention preserving the images) is key to survival.

Agreed, this is a necessity. We lost a ton of poo poo when Waffleimages went down and it's going to be loving apocalyptic when imgur goes dark, which it will, sooner or later. We need to stop losing photoshop phriday content every time the image host de jour goes under.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yeah. Let’s rebrand as a moral outrage alt-religious right. I’m prepared to write a press release about people being human scum for not saying “latinx “. Imagine the wonderful sort of folks we can pied piper in here under that banner!

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Yeah. Let’s rebrand as a moral outrage alt-religious right. I’m prepared to write a press release about people being human scum for not saying “latinx “. Imagine the wonderful sort of folks we can pied piper in here under that banner!

I dont think I'd go directly to calling an activity that resulted in creepy photos of kids not being distributed an activity of the "moral outrage alt-religious right." In fact, I'd be willing to say that the people posting photographs to r/jailbait were human scum and I feel like you've veered off in a very strange direction in order to try to win an internet argument.

Sing Along fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 30, 2021

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Uncle Enzo posted:

Picking a guitar
Car buying
Lifting weights

Goons are good at coming up with simple, strong strategies with broad applications. That's a lot of value to offer the world. Review sites are G A R B A G E. The much-maligned goon hivemind is worth 100x what it's competition is.

I joined SA for the foreign service thread way back in 2011 and it was worth five times the price of admission based on that alone. Invaluable career advice from people in the field who weren't giving canned PR lines. The topical megathreads on this site are an absolute goldmine and deserve to be front-facing if they can be formatted for it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can we get the whole goatse image as a smilie? Archive of the full series on a platinum-only link?
Its hard to find the original online these days :( And hard to keep on my phone when kids are looking over my shoulder.
But I still need it, sometimes.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sing Along posted:

I dont think I'd go directly to calling an activity that resulted in creepy photos of kids not being distributed an activity of the "moral outrage alt-religious right." In fact, I'd be willing to say that the people posting photographs to r/jailbait were human scum and I feel like you've veered off in a very strange direction in order to try to win an internet argument.

Every single moral crusade group turns into a hive of perpetrators trying to escape their guilt or a spiralling purity outrage cult. It’s the loving worst idea to rebrand this as a central hub that and the rest of your post is some willfully misconstruing ignorant bs.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Every single moral crusade group turns into a hive of perpetrators trying to escape their guilt or a spiralling purity outrage cult. It’s the loving worst idea to rebrand this as a central hub that and the rest of your post is some willfully misconstruing ignorant bs.

You're completely misconstruing Enzo's posts. The comment Enzo is making is that in addition to the other benefits a front page has, it also allows easy external sharing of information in a way that appears more reputable and easy to parse than a forums thread. In the event that something similar to r/jailbait is identified by the forums, it is a valuable way to share that. Nobody's discussing raiding or tone policing, which you for some reason equated to adults swapping creepy pictures of children. If you had a button that would make the SA forums index the front page and would mean r/jailbait didnt get taken down when it did, would you push it?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Maybe if we didn’t ha e a front page the kids that Aatrek raped and the forum mods (and admins) who covered up for wouldn’t would have been stopped

Would you prevent putting his rapist cock back in his pants by keeping up the front page?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

We should build a zipline with the forum bux imo.

And a Groverhause, with a bathdoom.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Maybe if we didn’t ha e a front page the kids that Aatrek raped and the forum mods (and admins) who covered up for wouldn’t would have been stopped

Would you prevent putting his rapist cock back in his pants by keeping up the front page?

Doubling down is not the way to make your point. This isn't a logical argument and I think you know it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This is getting morose.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
This is the best thing that has ever happened to the forums and a new leaf had legitimately been turned. We should be celebrating that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Inject 50 cc of forums nostalgia, stat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CoY0sBb1M

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

What the gently caress are you talking about lol

But yeah, incoherent rantings aside I think a front page could be really cool and useful after a total redesign and cleanup. I'm not married to the existing content although I wouldn't like to see it scrubbed completely.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Change the site to SomethingIsAwful.com

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bring back photoshop phriday

Seriously. Everyone misses it, why not do it?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

In before "but it already is there" and my "there is a front page" reply

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

"...but, but, but... Aatrek!!!" translates to "My argument has run out of steam."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If we're talking redesign, there needs to be an About Us page with this as its only content

https://youtu.be/NdUHDDj7fhk

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

alnilam posted:

I would certainly love to see better image hosting than imgur. We always joke about what classic threads would look like if imgur went under but it truly would be a tragedy. If we do end up with our own image hosting, might also be good to use a script to automatically transfer imgur files over and update the links.

Image hosting might be a tall order though, it's a lot of files especially with the kids these days and their 15 megapixel cameras and their 3 minute gifs

We experienced this once before when waffleimages closed. It legitimately ruined a lot of old content that became mostly irrecoverable and made some posts indecipherable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tei posted:

you can't usually install extension on phone browsers

but you can install phone apps, which are better ways to read the forums on a phone than using a browser to look at 21 year old forum with no mobile theme
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837546

(and both of which have dark modes)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

And a Groverhause, with a bathdoom.

Suspend the zipline from the groverhaus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
thanks for keeping this dead gay comedy site up and running.

2020 was a poo poo year for a lot of people, and as I've been on this forum for more than half of my life now, it means a lot.

I'd put in money to a Patreon.