Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LazyDivey posted:

So some screens/clips were leaked on twitter a few hours ago but were snapped pretty quick so I missed them but was able to save this very interesting tidbit

***Big spoilers*** Got rid of the img tag just in case someone accidentally hovers over it and sees without wanting to. Copy and paste.

https://u.cubeupload.com/BrineDude/I3NWHV.jpg

Edit: There is a clip out there too but I'm going to refrain from posting it unless you all are ok with that. Otherwise, if you really want to be spoiled I would check out the Marvelstudiospoilers subreddit.

My only non spoiler reaction to his is LOL ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ah okay cool, I couldn't remember.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Would have been funny if Natalie Portman was called in to the secretive government project set up to monitor and explore the shimmering anomaly.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GigaPeon posted:

Would have been funny if Natalie Portman was called in to the secretive government project set up to monitor and explore the shimmering anomaly.

They probably tried but Jane Foster said "Ehh, been there, done that. Call Darcy. She's pretty good."

Darth Brooks posted:

I have two wild guesses. One, at one point Wanda tries to turn back the clock to the 50's sitcom and/or at one point she makes the bubble bigger the agents of S.W.O.R.D. become part of the broadcast.

I kind of doubt that. Going back to the 50s erases the babies. Meanwhile the main reason to to an episode like this was to set up an "Outside/Inside" dynamic so that Wanda can react to what SWORD's doing and vice-versa.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I hope that this version of SWORD doesn't run into the same sort of problems it did in the comics where, on top of just being SHIELD in name only, it's also supposed to be this top-notch first-responder, contingency response against otherworldly problems.......but we still want to do big events and put the world in great danger from those things so they can't actually stop these problems or be too competent.

Also the director guy is kinda shifty to me. I feel like he's gonna end up being Hydra or Mephisto or whatever, despite him seeming like a pretty good egg and there's literally no reason to suspect him of anything.

:thunk:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Vision’s reanimated carcass was loving terrifying

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BrianWilly posted:

Also the director guy is kinda shifty to me. I feel like he's gonna end up being Hydra or Mephisto or whatever, despite him seeming like a pretty good egg and there's literally no reason to suspect him of anything.

Stone Cold Steve Austin once said “Don’t never trust nobody!” and then drank a half dozen beers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m assuming they haven’t said anything about a second season?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If the finale isn't a Seinfeld episode I am gonna boycott MCU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No second season. But this show goes directly into the next Dr. Strange movie and apparently also Spider-Man 3. Wanda is at least confirmed to be a big part of the next Dr. Strange film.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

BrianWilly posted:

I hope that this version of SWORD doesn't run into the same sort of problems it did in the comics where, on top of just being SHIELD in name only, it's also supposed to be this top-notch first-responder, contingency response against otherworldly problems.......but we still want to do big events and put the world in great danger from those things so they can't actually stop these problems or be too competent.

ACTING Director. I wonder if that means we can still get Abigail Brand.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

smoobles posted:

If the finale isn't a Seinfeld episode I am gonna boycott MCU
What's the deal with Infinity Stones? Last time I counted, there were only six of them, not infinity!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

BrianWilly posted:

On that note, it's kind of odd that they decided to establish SWORD as having been a thing since (presumably) sometime around the events of Captain Marvel, since their complete absence from the events of the MCU makes them seem irrelevant. Near as I can figure two of their major focus areas are space and artificial intelligences, and yet when Thor showed up it was SHIELD that investigated and they were nowhere to be seen when renegade AI Ultron tried to destroy the world.

Obviously they wanted the "following in her mother's footsteps" angle for Monica, but it would have been a pretty easy fit to say they were established in the wake of an alien being showing up and sending half the population to time out for 5 years. Especially in a world where SHIELD is in kind of a nebulous state and may not even exist.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

I never got into Agents of SHIELD, but presumably the various agents stopped all kinds of poo poo during their run, any one situation could have blown up into an Avengers level threat. "Agents of SWORD can also stop all kind of weird threats, alien foes, etc. but they don't or can't stop everything. Which is why you still need some version of the Avengers.

And the director guy doesn't seem shifty to me - assuming that you mean he's a secret enemy or Mephisto or something. He seems like a smart, confident guy who is itching to prove what he and all his cool, awesome gadgets can do. Now that he has a named enemy Wanda he's going to break out his drones and nanotech and AI badass weapons to take her crazy rear end down save the town Westview.

And Wanda's going to stomp him like a roach. Because she's a couple-three orders of magnitude more powerful than his files on her indicate. She's channeling abilities from at least three Infinity Stones: Mind, Reality and Time. Given how she knocked Monica through multiple obstacles, Power is like in there as well. Since Westview seems to be its own "universe" there's Space. And returning Vision to life (along with making two babies) probably required Soul. None of SWORDs super-cool tech can compare with that. So the Director will likely go off the deep end and try to wheel a sitcom-era nuke in there.

Most likely the people on the SWORD side that will solve this will be Jimmy, Monica and Darcy, because they'll be the ones willing to talk to Wanda. And because of the radio (I think Monica was there when the broadcast happened) they'll be able to do so.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i assumed the awkwardness with the director is that they both know that if Monica wasn't snapped, she would've been the clear choice to have his job

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was surprised that they immediately explained why SWORD stands for something different now compared to what it does in the comics, which is due to the Snap (no, I am not calling it The Blip, that name sucks).

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Wanda is legit scary

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Mage_Boy posted:

ACTING Director. I wonder if that means we can still get Abigail Brand.

Depends if they stick to the lie that agents of shield is part of the continuity, Brand died in that show during the events of Winter Soldier

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All the MCU superheroes are legit scary. We need a show that has people genuinely scared of them. All those people in New York when the Chitari invaded during Avengers 1? That was a super 9/11 and see how a normal 9/11 hosed us up.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

KTS posted:

Depends if they stick to the lie that agents of shield is part of the continuity, Brand died in that show during the events of Winter Soldier

Wasn't that Victoria Hand?

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

ShakeZula posted:

Wasn't that Victoria Hand?

Could be actually, haven't seen it since it aired but I remember discussion around hints of SWORD from the show. Maybe I'm mixing up stuff from the space arcs as well

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jiffynuts posted:

Or flying in a plane? I don’t even want to think about that kind of terror. :aaa:

Technically the Earth is moving around the sun, in the sun through the galaxy, and the galaxy through space. That plane is billions of miles away 5 years later.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

KTS posted:

Could be actually, haven't seen it since it aired but I remember discussion around hints of SWORD from the show. Maybe I'm mixing up stuff from the space arcs as well

It was Hand and there was zero mention of SWORD in the show; that was just a lot of high hopes when we found out they were going to space and meeting aliens.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Invalid Validation posted:

All the MCU superheroes are legit scary. We need a show that has people genuinely scared of them. All those people in New York when the Chitari invaded during Avengers 1? That was a super 9/11 and see how a normal 9/11 hosed us up.

Yeah see Marvel has been building to "the supermen are loving terrifying" rather than DC starting from a perspective of "Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen metacommentary!". And Wanda's powers were always vague and then got bigger and bigger until she was a reality warper. Reverse House of M is coming.

Lid fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 30, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One thing this episode did was put a very different spin on "Geraldine." I recall speculation that "Geraldine" was a SWORD agent sent into the TV show to get close to Wanda and she got caught up in the show's reality. We now know that isn't true. Monica/Geraldine didn't go into the town because SWORD got involved and sent her in. First Monica got pulled into the town and then SWORD got involved to try to get her back out. So, the person whose agenda made Geraldine into Wanda's best friend in the show, wasn't Monica/Geraldine. It was Wanda. Apparently when we watch the show we just see one episode per decade. When SWORD is watching, they apparently see multiple episodes, whole seasons worth within a given decade (Darcy's "washes dishes once an episode" comment).

When Geraldine first appears, she seems like she's an "extra" reading a magazine. Then she shows up at Dottie's meeting and likes Wanda's pants. In the next episode, "Geraldine" has been upgraded in the cast to be Wanda's sassy best friend. Wanda even gives her the role of helping her deliver the baby. The only reason for that to occur is that Wanda Maximoff liked Monica/Geraldine. I think there was something about Monica that was different from the rest of Westview and Wanda could sense that. But it wasn't that Monica was a SWORD agent. The thing that was different about Monica was that Monica didn't hate and fear Wanda at her deepest level and the rest of the people in Westview do. Whatever the "scrpt" makes them say and do, they're terrifd by what Wanda has done to them. Monica was perhaps puzzled by it, but she didn't hate Wanda for it. I think Wanda is so desperate for some kind of genuine human connection that she picked the SWORD agent who'd been sucked into the town to be her best friend because the agent didn't despise her
which is scary and also incredibly sad.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This episode had some truly frightening imagery. Also I really would love that we just saw the origin of The Swarm and The Photon

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...not for nothing, but the MCU government should have been treating Wanda like Magneto or Zod or something. She was allies with Ultron and she's responsible (by their standards) for the destruction of the Wakandan embassy that led to the Sokovian Accords and her being a fugitive right up until the Blip.

That's why I thought it was a little weird for Jimmy to be calling her "Wanda" and treating her like any other Avenger. Jimmy's just friendly, I know, but law enforcement should not be on friendly terms with her, even before now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...not for nothing, but the MCU government should have been treating Wanda like Magneto or Zod or something. She was allies with Ultron and she's responsible (by their standards) for the destruction of the Wakandan embassy that led to the Sokovian Accords and her being a fugitive right up until the Blip.

That's why I thought it was a little weird for Jimmy to be calling her "Wanda" and treating her like any other Avenger. Jimmy's just friendly, I know, but law enforcement should not be on friendly terms with her, even before now.

What else would he call her?

Also, they were surprised to see Wanda and Vision there. So they thought until Monica returned that the two of them were trapped in there, just like Monica was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The actor who was the beekeeper was apparently in a scene selling ice cream in the intro for season 3, so I guess he was just incorporated into the cast?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

What else would he call her?
Queen :c00lbert: Ms. Maximoff, I guess? I mean, he calls Monica "Captain Rambeau" and Darcy "Dr. Lewis" instead of their first names like a proper professional.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BrianWilly posted:

Queen :c00lbert: Ms. Maximoff, I guess? I mean, he calls Monica "Captain Rambeau" and Darcy "Dr. Lewis" instead of their first names like a proper professional.

Hmm no. I think he's an avengers fanboy who would adapt to use the same names they'd call each other. Wanda is just a better thing to shout than Ms. Maximoff. That's why callsigns exist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

Vision’s reanimated carcass was loving terrifying

Yeah that poo poo was impressively unsettling, props to the makeup team.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

LazyDivey posted:

There is a clip out there too but I'm going to refrain from posting it unless you all are ok with that. Otherwise, if you really want to be spoiled I would check out the Marvelstudiospoilers subreddit.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Think all these leaks semi-confirm a lot of suspicions I, and clearly a lot of others, had about this show.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

tsob posted:

I wonder if that's what the threat of the next few phases will be built around: [speculation on the future of the MCU that has no real bearing on the show]who inherits the powers of the stones? Carol could be/embody the new Space Stone, I suppose for one. Xavier or Jean Grey the new Mind Stone, given that it's only a matter of time before the X-Men are folded in to the MCU now. You could explain Juggernaut using the Power Stone too, rather than having to try to explain Cytorrak in the MCU. Kang could be the time stone too, as a way to explain how he became such a powerful wanderer in time. Thinking about it, I really hope we end up with a story where there's several versions of Kang from different time periods, including one who wants to stop the older or younger version of himself from becoming such a scourge the way the comics have done it over the years. No idea about the Soul Stone though.

If they go this route, I could also see the Space Stone going to America Chavez. The Soul Stone is tricky because its powers in the MCU are so vaguely defined, I don't have any thoughts on it either. I hope they're moving away from the Infinity Stones, though. That story's done.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Everyone posted:

Apparently when we watch the show we just see one episode per decade. When SWORD is watching, they apparently see multiple episodes, whole seasons worth within a given decade (Darcy's "washes dishes once an episode" comment).

It's either this or the "livestream" someone mentioned before -- it's been a few days, maybe a couple of weeks outside, and who knows how long inside. Unless the sliding the beds together is impliedly the night she made the rings, there's some space there, and given Darcy had to get the TV to start watching so we could watch, I don't think The Big Dinner is the series (or even season?) premiere. The only concrete timing we know is the transition to full-color is the night of the magic show, which is the day after the tree noises, and the pregnancy happens rapidly (so all the stuff in town in the color opening is ...while they're shopping for nursery furnishings and baby guides?) So the gaps are potentially before The Big Dinner and between the end of that and The Magic Show.

Those gaps could be ANY length and depending on whether SWORD was watching a livestream that our episodes are "edited" from orSWORD was watching multiple episodes airing constantly, nightly, twice daily, or whatever, the inside:outside time ratio could be anything from 1:1 to highly-variable and spiking as high as a year per day (though that upper bound is unlikely and only achieved if SWORD is watching a full-on marathon airing of WandaVision episodes that cover an average of a week an episode, so it probably reasonably tops out around a month a day, or more likely something in the 5:1 to 7:1 range). Notably, perceived current time inside has no relation to outside, as Geraldine is ejected midday, and Monica lands at night.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

BrianWilly posted:

It’s a hostage situation, of course he’s going to address her on friendly terms. He wants Wanda to trust him. It doesn’t matter whether he thinks she’s innocent or not, his job is to get the people out safely so he’s going to treat Wanda as if this isn’t her fault.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I feel like we should have gotten two versions of episodes. One where the 4th episode was cut through out, and another where we just get to watch the three first episodes.

This episode felt like all the bridge material smooshed together.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 30, 2021

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I feel like we should have gotten two versions of episodes. One where the 4th episode was cut through out, and another where we just get to watch the three first episodes.

My guess is that Disney shot the fourth episode info dump more because it would be the first episode reviewers hadn’t seen in advance, rather than the needs of the plot.

I get it, they didn’t want spoilers to leak out, but it does feel a bit awkward.

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
Every time I watch WandaVision I get its name stuck in my head to the tune of David Bowie's Sound and Vision.

...you're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

Steve Rogers/Captain America was leading a therapy group five years post-Snap and was also a fugitive. Presumably he and others were given some kind of "Well, at least you tried" pardon for trying to stop Thanos. Meanwhile, Wanda attended Tony Stark's funeral - along with a bunch of other bigwigs. Presumably coming back to life and helping save the universe from Thanos got her some kind of "all-is-forgiven" pardon as well.

In any case in Ant-Man and the Wasp even if he kind of likes him, Jimmy thinks of Scott Lang as a criminal. He clearly does not think of Wanda as one (yet).