Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Glazius posted:

Were you aware of the first expansion, The Forgotten Folk? Different player races to collect and covet, each of which has their own unique powers and special buildings to knock out some of the standard offering! Cave vegetables! Plantable rubies! Cheaty elves!
I just didn't expect another expansion for a seven year old board game. Not after A Feast For Odin and its expansion did so well. It's a pleasant surprise, but it's a surprise all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

I was dicking around boardgamearena and I've seen a Beta version of Unconditional Surrender. Isn't that a bajillion hours wargame?

yes

Suggestion: don't play without learning the rules, it did not, uh, go well

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Anyone backing the Castles of Mad King Ludwig Collector's Edition Kickstarter? Been meaning to pick this up and seems like a cool opportunity.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

yes

Suggestion: don't play without learning the rules, it did not, uh, go well

I did the "tutorial", then looked for a youtube video and thought "wait a second..."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Anyone backing the Castles of Mad King Ludwig Collector's Edition Kickstarter? Been meaning to pick this up and seems like a cool opportunity.

I've been umming and arring about it for a bit.

I'm currently leaning towards not backing it, because I think it's just FOMO for me at this point.
Not a huge fan of the extraneous poo poo they've tacked on that doesn't seem to serve a purpose or seem to add value to the box. The 3D buildings feel superfluous, and I think the 3D storage trays for the tiles are bland as gently caress. You can also buy the original base edition for a 1/3 of the price.

I might back it for a buck to late pledge later, but even the unlocked stuff isn't doing it for me.

Instead I went out and preordered The Red Cathedral. Why build castles for Kings, when you can build them for the MOTHERLAND! :ussr:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Makes sense. As someone who's fancied the game for a while, I quite like the new artwork, plus I'm a sucker for collector's editions (as long as they don't have glaring flaws), so I'm pretty drat tempted. Don't mind waiting a while for it either - plenty to be getting on with.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would be more excited about Caverna if it were orcs "farming" dwarves

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So according to Bob Page in the Alma Mater thread, racism isn't the issue in Europe as it is in the US. I dunno, I suspect the 6 million+ Jews murdered might disagree, as well as the people of African descent who have told their experiences in Europe. Of course it's not the issue FOR WHITE PEOPLE.

So mad, shouldn't be, but still, just insane that some idiot would try to pretend that Europe doesn't have a racism issue or doesn't care about racism the way Americans do. Well yes, the WHITE PEOPLE don't!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

!Klams posted:

Hello!

Which Dune did you order? Dune Imperium, or the Galeforce Nine 'Dune'? Either way, loving class act, but if it's the Galeforce Nine one, HELL YES.

I even whisper to my copy on warm summer evenings now, such is our bond. This thread (and specifically Fellis) put me onto it in the first place, and it is by some margin my favorite board game. (Cube draft isn't a board game). When you get a good game, it is absolutely every bit as good as you hope. Watching your friends lie to and trick and charm each other is SO much fun!

If you find any good ways to pimp it out, do let me know. I've replaced the spice tokens with some spicy lookin' beads from a local store. If you wanna search online, it's 'Scatter Crystals' you're after, but the ones I got were the wrong colour, so went local instead.

I'd say as well, having the game in advance of playing it, with some spare time, is probably good to give you time to learn the rules. There are a lot, and there are a lot of corner cases, and it's really great if someone at the table knows them in advance. There are a ton of houserules out there, a lot of them very good.

I'd be happy to use or not use most house rules, if my other players wanted to, but one that we decided ourselves I wouldn't ever play without, we named "Butlerian Jihad", which is that there are no thinking machines allowed. (No phones). Not so much because of being rude and not paying attention, but because people start chatting in secret whatsapp groups and it DRRAAAAAAGGGGS.

If you meant Dune Imperium, sorry for the useless post, but I will effuse on Dune at the slightest provocation because it is punkin' rad

Yeah, I did mean that Dune. Just arrived this week along with the Ixians and Tleilax box. I remember a long time ago in highschool I played the original print once and was kinda turned off by it, but nowadays I'm all about those opaque interlocking systems, diplomacy and deceit. Looks really amazing and exactly the kind of game I'd like, but it might be a hard sell to my group. Though they all enjoy Root a lot which I think has a lot in common and similar difficulty to grok, so who knows.

How does it work with less than full set of players - 2/3/4?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

So according to Bob Page in the Alma Mater thread, racism isn't the issue in Europe as it is in the US. I dunno, I suspect the 6 million+ Jews murdered might disagree, as well as the people of African descent who have told their experiences in Europe. Of course it's not the issue FOR WHITE PEOPLE.

So mad, shouldn't be, but still, just insane that some idiot would try to pretend that Europe doesn't have a racism issue or doesn't care about racism the way Americans do. Well yes, the WHITE PEOPLE don't!

Race stuff: Not that surprising, there's just not enough minority presence to raise a visible fuss.

America was similar pre-BLM, which is why you see those sorts in America blame BLM for "inventing racism" (lol).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Forgotten Folk for Caverna adds some much-needed variability. Otherwise the game is exactly the same each time, aside from some minor action spaces which you can't predict ahead of time anyway.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
The GameStop insanity has me wanting to make a much safer investment: new board games. Are there any definitive stock-related games you’d recommend (not 18XX)? I remember Stockpile looked interesting a while back.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Context posted:

The GameStop insanity has me wanting to make a much safer investment: new board games. Are there any definitive stock-related games you’d recommend (not 18XX)? I remember Stockpile looked interesting a while back.

You can always go with Cube Rails, they use stock. Chicago Express is the most popular but there's a ton of them out there. Paris Connection could be a good place to start.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mayveena posted:

When anyone says Europe isn't racist I mention how awful the Roma are treated, they just can't help being racist after that :stare: I really can't believe that thread is still going, thank you again for speaking up.

Context posted:

Stockpile is boring as hell, Panic on Wall Street! is a much better option if you can find it.

The classic Pit is also a great party game.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 29, 2021

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Instead I went out and preordered The Red Cathedral. Why build castles for Kings, when you can build them for the MOTHERLAND! :ussr:

If you don't mind saying, with whom did you pre-order this? Most of my go-to's pre-orders are sold out. Which kind of breaks my brain.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Ticket to Ride: Pennsylvania (optionally) has you buying shares in different railroad companies.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Bellmaker posted:

It's not good, Panic on Wall Street! is a much better option if you can find it.

I owned Panic on Wall Street years ago, but my group didn’t get the “panic” aspect of it. I sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it - like I said, investment! :D

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ellaybee posted:

If you don't mind saying, with whom did you pre-order this? Most of my go-to's pre-orders are sold out. Which kind of breaks my brain.

Where are you? I'll sell you my copy

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Panic on Wall St is great but be warned that it's on the "heavy" side of the party game world and can flop if people don't grasp the slightly more complicated rules. It's happened to me! It also takes-up a decent footprint and can grind to a halt during the stock auction phase. Works best when people are about 2-3 drinks in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Startups is a simple card game with a lot of depth and agonizing stock manipulation. It's a lot like Arboretum without the (relatively) complicated scoring or spatial part.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm checking back out on the various race threads on BGG for a minute. It feels very much like shouting into the void. I'm constantly getting new notifications of people Koolaid Man'ing in to pitch their two cents on why they don't think this particular instance of racism is actually racist or a big deal or whatever without bothering to read any of the backlog of the thread and then being corrected or informed for the umpteenth time of facts developed earlier in the thread and then more folks piling in to "well, actually" on behalf of the latest Koolaid Man. It's exhausting and questionably productive. I admire people who have the stomach to actually check in and read every notification on those.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Context posted:

Chicago Express, Gulf Mobile and Ohio, Continental Divide, German Railways, Stephenson's Rocket, Rolling Stock.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Context posted:

It's an oldie but a goodie: Acquire

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FMguru posted:

It's an oldie but a goodie: Acquire

Just be sure to play it with more than 3, sucks otherwise.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

grate deceiver posted:

How does it work with less than full set of players - 2/3/4?

With 4 players the game is fine. With 2-3 players you're going to miss out on the diplomacy and alliance side of the game. Plus some factions are wonky at low player counts. Like half the factions hit the ground running while the other half of the factions have to rely on others to build up resources.

The recommended factions for 2 players are Atreides and Harkonnen, add the Fremen for 3, and the Emperor for 4. I think the Ixians from the expansion can replace one of those four easily.

2 player games are good for learning how to play though. I recommend a couple of those before diving in with more players.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 30, 2021

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Acquire is best with 3 or 4 imo, I dislike the downtime and lack of control at 4+.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Friggin' amazing!!!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/282303/shout-out-jennifer-schlickbernd

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ellaybee posted:

Well as long as you don't mind preordering from Tasmania, Australia then.. here you are.
https://polymorphgames.com.au/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&product_id=93843
I emailed them regarding lead time and it's currently 6-8 weeks.

Apparently there was a change of distributors for Hansa Teutonica late 2020, which I also ordered from the same store, so my ETA for that is ~TBC~

Australia! :australia:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hell yeah I saw that GL, good stuff!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Joe Chill posted:

With 4 players the game is fine. With 2-3 players you're going to miss out on the diplomacy and alliance side of the game. Plus some factions are wonky at low player counts. Like half the factions hit the ground running while the other half of the factions have to rely on others to build up resources.

The recommended factions for 2 players are Atreides and Harkonnen, add the Fremen for 3, and the Emperor for 4. I think the Ixians from the expansion can replace one of those four easily.

2 player games are good for learning how to play though. I recommend a couple of those before diving in with more players.

Yeah, basically this.

Also, I'd try and play a regular game with six before you use the expansion, but if you do want to use it the first chance you get, I'd recommend replacing Atredes with Ix and emperor with Tlielaxu, just for the sake of the economy.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mayveena posted:

Guess they have never watched European soccer ad campaigns addressing this very issue every year

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bellmaker posted:

Beyond the Sun looks cool and out of print, has anyone here played it?

I have twice now! I really like it overall, there's a lot of different choices you can make that matter. I've only played twice, but it seems like the tech available really influences how the game plays, so you can have different experiences just with what tech ends up getting turned over. The people I've played with have some issues with turn order, in that they think first player has the advantage, but I think that's offset if you don't just stick to one plan and follow the leader. It's good, maybe even great, and would recommend.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Grats. Show those motherfuckers what for

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
What 2 player board games have good asynchronous multiplayer phone app versions? I've been playing patchwork and am looking for a few other options. (Obviously chess and go, but I mean modern stuff.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Do they have to be 2 player only, or can they be plays 2 or more?

Through the ages' app is unparalleled. Twilight struggle's is good.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'd be playing 2 player, so more is totally fine but ideally stuff that plays well with 2

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deserved.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

armorer posted:

I'd be playing 2 player, so more is totally fine but ideally stuff that plays well with 2

Thro the Ages yeah.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Race for the Galaxy and Roll for the Galaxy apps are awesome, and when you aren't playing with people, the AI is very good. I've gotten many hundreds of games in between these two apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nice, well deserved :)