Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could do the same in the older Yakuza games by eating bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Really? I guess Akiyama is going to splurge his guts out now.

Yakuza 4 has a somewhat awkward character-switching mechanic in that it doesn't have one. You play the four the character's stories in order and only in the last chapter, of 17, can you choose between them and pool their poo poo together. This means any non-exclusive rewards picked up by the one character are locked to them until the endgame, like locker-items.

Yakuza 5 is slightly better in that they all the playable characters have exclusive maps, except poor Akiyama, so there's less overlap. But it's still annoying to build up a character only for them to disappear for thirty hours.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mostly loving Fenyx Rising, but one thing I don't like is that it feels a lot more opaque than the AssCreeds about quest info despite being an obvious evolution of those games. In particular, as far as I can tell it doesn't give you any detail up front about how tough things are gonna get if it's a combat mission. Twice now I've accepted quests and gone way across the map just to kill something, only to get a "LEGENDARY CREATURE - YOU'RE TOO WIMPY TO BE HERE YET" notice pop up as I'm one-shotted so hard the camera can't keep up with my flying corpse.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

John Murdoch posted:

And there's like, 12 slots for different arrow types in the menu?? Are there actually that many? I think you get some from certain skill ranks? Do you get all of them from skills?

Normal
Blunt/Knockout
Fire
Poison
Exploding
Death

Only six types.

Death arrows, you get from the Daughters of Artemis questline and once you've unlocked them I think you can craft them from that point on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IIRC you can't delete key items in re7 until they're used up, that's how it tells you. If you have the option to drop something you're done with it

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

JackSplater posted:

They leaned really heavily into timed missions in response to people playing the first game in a constant slow overwatch leapfrog. You know, instead of fixing the reasons why people did this in the first place. One of the earliest major patches (or it might have been DLC) added an option to double the length of every mission timer and it feels much better to play.

The doomsday timer can't be helped, though, and it kinda sucks since you just kinda randomly get it upgraded and can't do poo poo to prevent it like you could in the first game.

I loved xcom2 right until the late midgame. I had a strong a-squad and b-squad, I kept the avatar timer really low fairly easily and I had taken out multiple chosen with very little issue. I didn't even mind the time limits. I'd heard many people talk about the games difficulty and thought I must either be fairly good at it or just had a lucky run.

It was at that moment that the game seemed to decide I'd pissed it off. Suddenly every mission ended up dropping wave after wave of tough enemies on me every other turn and I found out I'd picked the wrong armor type early on. Apparently if you use up advent trooper corpses on the early armor type it is then much harder to make mid to late game armor because you hardly ever face them anymore and you need their bodies to upgrade. I had not noticed this. Over the course of three missions I went from being ahead and slightly overpowered to woefully underpowered and on my arse, facing a load of new enemies that carved through my squads in one to two hits.

After banging my head into this bullshit for several hours, I rage quit and never looked back. Shame, it was half a great game. I don't like the whole masochistic difficulty trend, I play games to have fun. Xcom2 decided this was unacceptable.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda general drag-down (and admittedly I am tired as gently caress), but gently caress me if game tutorials need to hand-hold the poo poo out of the player. You know, the thing you use to understand basic gameplay verbs?

Like, ok, there's this vaguely Satisfactory-esque game called Dyson Sphere Program that interested me, until I lost the plot a bit for Reasons... only to discover that not only did I lose the plot, but the word in the story. Was there anything I can look to and say "yes, you tired boy, this is what you did last, and your next step is to do Y"? Maybe a "hey no you are going to do Step B, god help you, if we have to make sure you can't press anything but Step B"?

Nope.

Clicked a bunch of thing that were clearly for Step Eight when i'm on Step One And A Half (after the rather arduous task of finding which button progresses that half-step, since good lord the text is so tiny), and I pulled the trigger on a refund because I know I'll find it after the two-hour mark.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

RGX posted:

I loved xcom2 right until the late midgame. I had a strong a-squad and b-squad, I kept the avatar timer really low fairly easily and I had taken out multiple chosen with very little issue. I didn't even mind the time limits. I'd heard many people talk about the games difficulty and thought I must either be fairly good at it or just had a lucky run.

It was at that moment that the game seemed to decide I'd pissed it off. Suddenly every mission ended up dropping wave after wave of tough enemies on me every other turn and I found out I'd picked the wrong armor type early on. Apparently if you use up advent trooper corpses on the early armor type it is then much harder to make mid to late game armor because you hardly ever face them anymore and you need their bodies to upgrade. I had not noticed this. Over the course of three missions I went from being ahead and slightly overpowered to woefully underpowered and on my arse, facing a load of new enemies that carved through my squads in one to two hits.

After banging my head into this bullshit for several hours, I rage quit and never looked back. Shame, it was half a great game. I don't like the whole masochistic difficulty trend, I play games to have fun. Xcom2 decided this was unacceptable.

XCOM 2 is definitely a game where the optimal playing style is ridiculously unfun. Putting in a mission timer did not fix the fact that a third of the gameplay is slowly leapfrogging troops across battle maps that are way too large.

I know it caught a lot of flack when it was released, due in no small part to being something other than XCOM 3, but I thought Chimera Squad had excellent map and encounter design. It's shorter, punchier missions should have taken the place of 2/3rds of XCOM 2's hour+ long crawls across unmemorable proc-gen cityscapes

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

XCOM 2 is definitely a game where the optimal playing style is ridiculously unfun. Putting in a mission timer did not fix the fact that a third of the gameplay is slowly leapfrogging troops across battle maps that are way too large.

I still remember that one of the first batches of mods for the game were basically "removes the mission timer for {thing}.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I completely understand why most modern strategy games are designed in a way that sort of hurries the player along; there's a lot of people who need to be forced to have fun, as opposed to bluntly and blindly focusing on what they've decided is the Proper Way To Do Things. And in strategy games that means you've gotta find ways to shake people out of turtling up, and avoiding any risky maneuvers whatsoever. But I wonder what a game that embraced the slow approach would look like? A game that just LETS you be as patient as possible and lets that be the accepted and right way of doing things.

...or did I just think of the tower defense genre?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The weird thing with XCOM2 is that Enemy Within already found a good way to incentivize faster play. Getting meld was extremely powerful so you wanted to push out instead of constantly overwatching, but If you got into a bad spot you could just take the hit and choose to lose it instead of rushing into trouble. It hit the perfect balance as far as I'm concerned.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The world map timers were done better but because of the way they were communicated and the way mission timers were handled they still didn't feel great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I completely understand why most modern strategy games are designed in a way that sort of hurries the player along; there's a lot of people who need to be forced to have fun, as opposed to bluntly and blindly focusing on what they've decided is the Proper Way To Do Things. And in strategy games that means you've gotta find ways to shake people out of turtling up, and avoiding any risky maneuvers whatsoever. But I wonder what a game that embraced the slow approach would look like? A game that just LETS you be as patient as possible and lets that be the accepted and right way of doing things.

This is the campaign mode for most of the great RTS's of the 90's and early 2000's. That's how I played them, it was very satisfying to build my perfect defenses at every choke point, patiently and cautiously build up my perfect army, and execute flawless painstakingly planned attacks. Jumping into multiplayer and seeing the frenzied APM-fueled nightmare that awaited was a shock.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

yeah, one of the reasons i never played much multiplayer in any rts is because my preferred method of playing each map would be to take forever because goddamnit this base needs to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing, and then i would spend the last minute of each campaign map just moving my mass of units to flatten the enemy base as if it were an afterthought

i think i played one round of multiplayer starcraft and died almost instantly, and decided it wasnt for me at all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Improving your units line of sight so you weren't liable to be blindsided every two squares would've also gone a long way to making people move along faster in XCOM 2 rather than putting you on a timeline forever.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda general drag-down (and admittedly I am tired as gently caress), but gently caress me if game tutorials need to hand-hold the poo poo out of the player. You know, the thing you use to understand basic gameplay verbs?

Like, ok, there's this vaguely Satisfactory-esque game called Dyson Sphere Program that interested me, until I lost the plot a bit for Reasons... only to discover that not only did I lose the plot, but the word in the story. Was there anything I can look to and say "yes, you tired boy, this is what you did last, and your next step is to do Y"? Maybe a "hey no you are going to do Step B, god help you, if we have to make sure you can't press anything but Step B"?

Nope.

Clicked a bunch of thing that were clearly for Step Eight when i'm on Step One And A Half (after the rather arduous task of finding which button progresses that half-step, since good lord the text is so tiny), and I pulled the trigger on a refund because I know I'll find it after the two-hour mark.

What? It's a factory game. There is no doing the wrong step. Only step is "make factory more bigger". Frankly if you've played Satisfactory or Factorio to any degree you'll get it pretty quick. If you're on step one, that's probably "make a wind turbine" which is made in your inventory a la Factorio, and once you say "oh I need more iron" you get more iron until you need more then you get more
Okay, there is one wrong step I guess: It gives you a jetpack pretty early on and says "now you can go to other planets!" Do not go to other planets yet. The jetpack is slow as hell (at least in the inter-planetary sense) until you upgrade it.

I will give you a pass though: the game has a really gnarly translation so words are really frequently gonzo. I rarely had trouble getting the gist of things, but if you're tired/bibs then I can see it being an understandable hurdle.

But there are three big things for this thread!
Dyson Sphere Program
aforementioned slow-planet traveling.

Logistics Cruisers, which bring materials between planets, are usually really smart. You can give them Warp Cores so that they can use FTL drives to get between star systems too! But they will happily make multiple-light-year trips without warp cores. At a crawl. Fortunately the distances have been shrunk a lot (1 AU = 40 km, 1 LY = 2 hours sublight travel), but still that's a 16 hour round trip that I got a ton of ships on. The game is early-access enough and the devs are working on it so they get a pass on this, but still I think it's a funny story

Lastly, stellar navigation suuuuuuuuuucks. There is no way to orient yourself to the star map, so if you want to go to Star A, the best way to find it is to open the map and find the 10 closest stars near it so that you can kinda recognize the names as you're randomly hovering over stars hoping to find Star A. You can kinda navigate by constellations? But I really just want the map to help me get where I'm going. There is a way to get stars to highlight (and by default stars within 6 LY will be highlit) but outside of that it's a chore. Even finding other planets in the same star system can be a bother since they orbit all over the place. As a final cherry, if you click on a star to get information, it zooms all the way into that star to show it to you, which is great and all but to get back to the map you have to zoom all the way back out, which is (and I counted so that I could make a macro) fifty mouse wheel clicks. If you're checking a dozen stars to find the resources you want...

I love the game, these are just things dragging it down :shobon:

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Jan 30, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Only having two weapons in dead cells is kind of a bummer. Would be nice to have a big bag of weapons to go through

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember really enjoying the trilogy once I got around to it but recall getting bored about half way through the third game. I think it's because I was a late adapter and picked them up cheap so I wasn't in a frame of mind to feel ripped off or really expecting much so it mostly worked for me. Truth be told, I think I always derive more pleasure from games by just waiting a year or two to check them out.

They're cheaper by half, the bugs have been worked out and by then I'm able to separate the wheat from the chafe and buy something that most people enjoyed.

I’m very much with you on this! I think the last (only?) game I bought on release for my XB1 was ‘Just Cause 3’. Luckily, that was worth every drat penny imo. Happily bought the DLC at full price too; I don’t think I’ve ever bought the DLC for another game! Mind you, if you wait a couple of years to pick up your games, you’ll often get GOTY editions with DLC included...

Thread relevant: I remember growing bored about halfway through ‘Shadow of the Tomb Raider’, too. I felt like I was just hanging around the same wee area forever. Interestingly, I didn’t feel that in ‘Rise’ despite the fact a previous poster was absolutely right when they said that the game takes place almost entirely in the muddy ice of Siberia.

On the subject of old games, I’m enjoying my jaunt through the stupidly puerile ‘Shadows of the Damned’ (despite the patented Suda_51 sexism - is this guy just Ikun with a dev kit, Busty Babe?).

However, I’ve reached a part where I have to run from/dodge a one-hit(kiss) monster and I’m having an absolute shitemare!

I am bad at games. Simple as that.

That’s why I set the difficulty to Easy whenever there’s the option - I just want to chill and blast my way through things. It’s also why sections like this DRIVE ME NUTS!

Edit: I think this also explains my ‘problem’ with Hollow Knight - it’s not an issue with the game; it’s just too tough for me!

Edit 2: Oof, that’s a lot of words about video games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the backstory to the first boss, but got stuck shortly after on a tough bit and never saw the other ones. Shame, the first one intrigued me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Improving your units line of sight so you weren't liable to be blindsided every two squares would've also gone a long way to making people move along faster in XCOM 2 rather than putting you on a timeline forever.

I think the fundamental problem is the whole pod revealing mechanic. Revealing a new pod at the end of your turn can be a disaster, so you're almost forced to play super conservatively. The stealth stuff in 2 helps with that but then you eventually go loud and you're back to the same position.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, timers are really the only way around the fact that XCOM’s pod system encourages super slow and conservative play. If there’s no timer, playing fast is objectively worse than crawling slowly across the map, only ever revealing new spaces with your first move each turn.

True, it’s a lot more boring, but asking players to choose between being bored or gambling with their 20 hour campaign is a no-win scenario.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot imagine designing a turn based video game and having the gall to give the enemy the first move when they independently walked into YOUR line of sight. If that can even happen your systems are screwed up and need to be taken back to the drawing board. Xcom treats blowing the stealth as "you blew the stealth, player" when there are several really common scenarios where that is not the case at all.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Jan 30, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the fundamental problem is the whole pod revealing mechanic. Revealing a new pod at the end of your turn can be a disaster, so you're almost forced to play super conservatively. The stealth stuff in 2 helps with that but then you eventually go loud and you're back to the same position.

Yeah that's what I was trying to talk about. Having some idea of where the enemies are when we airdrop in beforehand rather than taking one square too many and finding out that 11 aliens have congregated in front of the Jamba Juice at the same time at the end of a turn blows.

Having a standby unit in the plane that operates a drone that scouts out the area for us so we could know 'Oh no, there're a bunch of vipers and codexes in that building, better be careful guys!' would've gone a long way for things. Something like that. Constantly being on a deadline like that feels more like running an obstacle course with a bunch of claymores hidden in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Retro Futurist posted:

IIRC you can't delete key items in re7 until they're used up, that's how it tells you. If you have the option to drop something you're done with it

Certain items do but you can't drop any of the keys, even if you've opened all the corresponding doors

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

Supreme Commander. Harassment and early expansion are important, but so are building up defensive strongpoints and your economy, and turtling as long as you're also expanding is very valid.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

I cannot imagine designing a turn based video game and having the gall to give the enemy the first move when they independently walked into YOUR line of sight. If that can even happen your systems are screwed up and need to be taken back to the drawing board. Xcom treats blowing the stealth as "you blew the stealth, player" when there are several really common scenarios where that is not the case at all.

This was baffling to me, as a kid I played probably thousands of hours of X-COM and was so excited for the reboot only to find that... aliens got a free loving turn anytime I uncovered them? It turned it from a tactical game to a puzzle game which a lot of people loved but was an instant turn off for me I could not get over.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah that's what I was trying to talk about. Having some idea of where the enemies are when we airdrop in beforehand rather than taking one square too many and finding out that 11 aliens have congregated in front of the Jamba Juice at the same time at the end of a turn blows.

Having a standby unit in the plane that operates a drone that scouts out the area for us so we could know 'Oh no, there're a bunch of vipers and codexes in that building, better be careful guys!' would've gone a long way for things. Something like that. Constantly being on a deadline like that feels more like running an obstacle course with a bunch of claymores hidden in it.

I mean they give you recon grenades as one of the earliest possible unlocks just for that purpose; and if that's not enough War of the Chosen offers multiple ways to mitigate the problem, such as doubling the timers, using a Reaper (who has super stealth) to scout the map consequence free (which is basically your drone scout idea, but with the bonus of a gun and the ability to blow up cars), and the ultimately mitigator: mods for days so you can just disable that poo poo. The True Concealment mod is one of those that people with your exact complaint tend to go for, because timers don't start until you go loud, and Peek from Concealment lets you get right up on the edge of cover and peek around corners to see enemies without accidentally blowing your stealth.

CJacobs posted:

They actually give up their full turn to just get a "move to cover" action--it's basically just the game putting the pieces on the board. It's only if you get into their line of sight on your turn that you "blow the stealth" and they get a free move to cover and then a full action on their turn, which sucks. But if you don't like them being able to go for cover when they path into you on the Alien's turn, there's a mod for that (or at leas there was, can't seem to find it now). There's also several that give XCOM additional moves based on how many pods you activated so you can do some damage control.

I'm not going to say that the pod system doesn't have its annoyances, but usually there's a rhythm of "move your first unit as far as you can or are willing to go and then everyone else follows behind" that keeps you out of trouble vis-a-vis discovering pods. Course, it sucks when some reinforcements path into you, but it's usually better if they path into you and give up that first turn doing so than if you activate them mid-fire fight and they can fully act on the enemy turn.

I mean the alternative is, what, they stand there gormless for a full turn? The flanking mechanics mean being stuck in the open is usually a death sentence, so giving the aliens a move to cover means they aren't just handing themselves over to die on a silver platter.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jan 30, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Never play Original Sin 2. The enemy AI always acts first and is 100% pragmatic. You straight up have to cheese and metagame the hardest encounters to just about win.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

What? It's a factory game. There is no doing the wrong step. Only step is "make factory more bigger". Frankly if you've played Satisfactory or Factorio to any degree you'll get it pretty quick

Yeah, this is what I thought. Cut to my tired rear end going "wait, repeat that", not getting it, and now its refunded.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I deeply hate time limits in games in general. Even when the time limit is actually pretty generous, it puts a sense of pressure on me that I really hate. Maybe it's my OCD tendencies or maybe it's the fact that I like to play things slowly and at my own pace, but be it turn limits like in X-COM 2, limited activity slots like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, or regular mission time limits in other games, they put enough mental stress on me to rob the games of a lot of enjoyment I'd otherwise get from them.

I noticed it when I tried replaying Starcraft 2 especially. There's almost always some kind of ticking clock you're racing against. It's a very rare mission that lets you just sit back, tech up, build an army, and wipe out the map.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Why are so many games incapable of timing dialogue in a way that makes interruptions feel natural? How many hundreds of games have an instance where one character is talking, stops halfway through a sentence, there's two beats of silence, then another character "interrupts" them?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda the antithesis of the thread, but in Tron 2.0 the game makes an internal gag where a developer says "Hey the Thing you just did is fun, and time limits are fun, so why not do the Thing again while time limited? That way the whole thing is probably even More Fun!"

I can't even remember what you did (I think there was another layer of you being shot at by tanks while doing the Thing), but it always stuck in my mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Riatsala posted:

Why are so many games incapable of timing dialogue in a way that makes interruptions feel natural? How many hundreds of games have an instance where one character is talking, stops halfway through a sentence, there's two beats of silence, then another character "interrupts" them?

The realities of video game voice acting mean that actors may be recording their parts days or weeks apart, hundreds of miles away from one another, and not even know their line is supposed to interrupt the last. The rare opportunities where actors have the chance to stand in the same room and play off each other are very noticeable.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

0 rows returned posted:

yeah, one of the reasons i never played much multiplayer in any rts is because my preferred method of playing each map would be to take forever because goddamnit this base needs to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing, and then i would spend the last minute of each campaign map just moving my mass of units to flatten the enemy base as if it were an afterthought

i think i played one round of multiplayer starcraft and died almost instantly, and decided it wasnt for me at all

I used to love multiplayer RTS but these days I think I'd prefer a game basically built to do just what you described here. Just separate the building up phase and the combat phase entirely such that combat doesn't exist while building, then at the end of it you get an army based on what you've built and it switches to a battle map where you fight it out. Sorta like no rush games but without even reinforcements.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

The realities of video game voice acting mean that actors may be recording their parts days or weeks apart, hundreds of miles away from one another, and not even know their line is supposed to interrupt the last. The rare opportunities where actors have the chance to stand in the same room and play off each other are very noticeable.

Spec Ops the line did that and jammed them through the script in a day and it really stands out. By the end when they drop the professional stuff and you call a target out and it’s not “tango, 2 o clock” but “THAT FUCKER THERE” it makes a mark.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Never play Original Sin 2. The enemy AI always acts first and is 100% pragmatic. You straight up have to cheese and metagame the hardest encounters to just about win.

no it doesn’t unless the definitive version changed this? I had a high initiative character who went first in all but a couple scripted story fights and we frequently saw AI do dumb stuff like use really weak consumables or run from melee range and actually die to the reaction attack

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I picked up Skyrim again after not having played it for years, probably not long after it got released. I got a bunch of mods to make it look gorgeous but (aside from a mod revamping the skills and a mod adding tons of new spells) keep it mostly vanilla, and I'm having a blast.

One huge thing dragging it down, though, is the way they did the guilds.

One of my favourite things from Morrowind and Skyrim was the sense of progression you got from the guilds. Every major city had their own chapters of the guilds with a bunch of quests. You do them for rewards and advancement and they get more and more involved. It really felt like part of the world, you know?

Then in Skyrim the guilds are restricted to a single location and after a couple of menial tasks they throw you right into the final quest and that's it, you're the boss now. It just feels lazy and empty, and it sucks.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Riatsala posted:

Tacoma was really nice because they recorded the scenes with every actor in the same room and it feels so much more natural than your average video game dialogue.

Obviously that's much easier to do when your game has maybe 1 hour worth of text. Even then, most games really could use better editing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Riatsala posted:

The Kingdom Hearts series is so bad about this it feels like an intentional stylistic choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One of Fenyx Rising's BotW shrine equivalents, basically what the hell kind of puzzle design is this? You have to figure out the correct sequence to step on seven of the circles, while any wrong one resets the entire chain. All while fireballs shoot across the area. That's not cleverness, that's just wasting my time because there's no pattern to it, just endlessly repeatedly stepping on them dozens of times until I find the next correct one. The puzzle design in this game is so weird, there's plenty of really great, interesting ones but then there's a handful like this that just feel like lazy bullshit.

e: oh lol, there's a third, even bigger one, with three sets of fireball launchers :smithicide:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jan 31, 2021