Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It was! Ancient Egyptian physicians were both male and female and were well versed in internal anatomy, partially due to such familiarity with the anatomy of the embalming process. They were capable of many "modern" surgeries and even, as I recall, heart surgery. They understood much of how the heart is interconnected with all of our other internal systems. Mortality rates for Egyptian surgeries were lower than they were hundreds and hundreds of years later in Europe, because physicians valued cleanliness and would bathe before treating patients. They practiced dentistry and gynecology and understood that mental illness is in fact an illness that needed treatment. They combined what we think of as traditional medicine with faith and spell-based care. Greek and Roman physicians who received their medical training in Egypt were held in high regard.

Ancient Egypt is my jam. :)

They discarded the brain as a useless organ though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Platystemon posted:

Well?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1355231580432654337

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Platystemon posted:

No they ate the brain. That is why all the people hieroglyphics look like zombies. Learn a history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It was! Ancient Egyptian physicians were both male and female and were well versed in internal anatomy, partially due to such familiarity with the anatomy of the embalming process. They were capable of many "modern" surgeries and even, as I recall, heart surgery. They understood much of how the heart is interconnected with all of our other internal systems. Mortality rates for Egyptian surgeries were lower than they were hundreds and hundreds of years later in Europe, because physicians valued cleanliness and would bathe before treating patients. They practiced dentistry and gynecology and understood that mental illness is in fact an illness that needed treatment. They combined what we think of as traditional medicine with faith and spell-based care. Greek and Roman physicians who received their medical training in Egypt were held in high regard.

Ancient Egypt is my jam. :)

You know, it actually makes a lot of sense that they understood a lot about the human body from all the elaborate and in-depth mummification processes.

I do wonder if there's a connection to how Arab medicine and hygiene was leaps and bounds ahead of Europe for centuries.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arabs got their start studying Greek texts which also had stuff the Greeks learned from the Egyptians.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I’m an Egyptophile too! When visiting Cairo I saw a huuuuge billboard advertising Heineken. Which I found weird because it’s like having a giant billboard advertising, like, Harameken

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I thought this thread might enjoy knowing that last night I dreamed there was a Fast and Furious-style Duke Cannon movie that finally revealed his identity at the very end: Helen Mirren.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Phy posted:

The Edwin Smith papyrus is one of my favourite things that exists. For those who haven't heard of it, it's basically a trauma manual for the upper body (presumably it also addressed the lower body, but that part is missing). It describes various injuries to the head, neck, arms and torso; prescribes treatments for these; and recommends the physician says whether they can treat it, try to treat it, or do nothing for it, depending on the severity of the injury, as there's no sense bringing shame on the profession like if you said "oh yeah I can totally fix this" about an almost certainly fatal wound. It provides definitions for terms the reader might be unfamiliar with, and it describes things like the corrugations of the brain, and how it pulsates with blood flow. It describes upper spinal injuries causing paralysis, and injuries to one side of the head causing paralysis on the opposite side of the body. e: I'm rereading a translation I have of it rn and it actually describes closed-head injuries to one side of the head causing paralysis on the same side. The translator makes a note that this can be attributed to the contre-coup effect, where a forceful blow to the head on one side can cause your brain to smack into the opposite side of your skull, creating brain damage far away from the point of impact.

It's a document that reveals a tradition of paying attention to how the body actually works, how it breaks and how it heals, and how to help that process along. The papyrus itself is around 3600 years old, but the text may be quite a lot older.

for those interested in a briskly paced and very amusingly written overview of how tragically stupid medicine was for most of the past few millennia I recommend Strange Medicine: A Shocking History of Real Medical Practices Through the Ages by Nathan Belofsky. I just finished it like a week or so ago so it really makes a poignant and depressing contrast with the information in the above quote. It's wild how little medicine had to do with science across many cultures for such a long time, despite the occasional doctor speaking up to say "Uh actually I've cut open hundreds of bodies and never seen 'green humour' so" it was like just a contest for who was the most effective and persuasive bullshitter.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

if a thing your medicine mentions should be present is absent, that's clearly the cause of death.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sweeperbravo posted:

for those interested in a briskly paced and very amusingly written overview of how tragically stupid medicine was for most of the past few millennia I recommend Strange Medicine: A Shocking History of Real Medical Practices Through the Ages by Nathan Belofsky. I just finished it like a week or so ago so it really makes a poignant and depressing contrast with the information in the above quote. It's wild how little medicine had to do with science across many cultures for such a long time, despite the occasional doctor speaking up to say "Uh actually I've cut open hundreds of bodies and never seen 'green humour' so" it was like just a contest for who was the most effective and persuasive bullshitter.

There is also the Sawbones podcast (and now book!),

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

More very good Tumblr ads

I tried to click that last one. The link was broken

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Jan 31, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like the new Seanbaby and Brockway (and general Cracked refugee) site where they have fake ads from other dimensions, but way more effortlessly insane.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I only have mediocre pens to look at. :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You could look up some new ones at Pen Island. Pretty sure they have a website but I can't remember the address at the moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is extremely effective advertising

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think I'll only need the first one, thanks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/RaxKingIsDead/status/1356071591927537664?s=19

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Idk about the rest of all that, but there's definitely stage 1 beef baby food. There's some in my kitchen right now.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Weird thing to call your dick but ok

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Weird thing to call your dick but ok

idgi

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Best I’ve got is ‘your dick is soft and tasteless’ which is a dece burn, but it goes hard in an aatrek direction for no real reason.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Speaking of food and Egyptology, I still wanna try that sarcophagus juice

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Picnic Princess posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Telemaze posted:

Idk about the rest of all that, but there's definitely stage 1 beef baby food. There's some in my kitchen right now.

It smells like cat food and my baby loving hated it. We ended up cooking and pureeing our own beef paste, which she liked a lot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

:itwaspoo:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why eat a mummy when you can use it as pain?
"Mummy brown - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummy_brown

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

paint

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pain, paint, train fuel, is there anything mummies can't do?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Knormal posted:

Know the feeling of true love

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Jump

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Knormal posted:

Kill Brendan Frazier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Do not kill that man. He is wonderful and deserves love

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Kill Brendan Frazier.

I'm pretty sure his alimony payments are what did that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought it was his refusal to let hollywood types sexually assault him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress I never heard that. I don't even wanna know. Dude killed it in the mummy for such a cheesy movie. He should've had a decent career

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Him and Dave Foley should get together and talk about when they used to have money.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The drake guy from drake and josh as well. Dude got absolutely hosed and ended up having to do three godawful live action fairly odd parents movies. Apparently Josh won't take his calls now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

I thought it was his refusal to let hollywood types sexually assault him

That basically dropped his income dramatically, which is how the alimony payments really got him- they were based on when he was making bank and he couldn’t get them adjusted to reflect his current income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All that plus his injury’s on films which really messed him up.