Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

...oh, those are her knees. Okay.

(It is way too easy to fall behind on this thread. The Timid Soul to resume soon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, I've been banging my drum for a bit now about my next upload project. And now's as good a time as any - ladies, gentlemen, NBs all, I present to you the first in (frankly, a GIGANTIC amount) of the comic series by Jean-Michael Charlier and Jean Giraud AKA Gir AKA Moebius. I present to you the Western comic: Blueberry

This series is one of the Franco-Belgian comic classics, having been started in '63 (back when it was first called Fort Navajo and was less about the soon-to-be titular character and more an ensemble piece) and published all the way up to '07. People have claimed that it was as popular in France as DC comics were back in the golden age of DC, and, having seen the SIZE of the books I'm gonna be working with, I'm not surprised.

However, I must say first up, I won't be as regular with this series as I was with Corto for a couple of reasons. 1) I have a job, now and 2) Translating a book that is heavy in idioms translated from French into idioms in Swedish into idioms in English is a little tough. Also, this series is published in colour, but I'm uploading in black and white because it is easier for me to edit the words, easier to sharpen images and also provides an impetus for anyone who would be interested in reading more themselves to support the original writers/artists and get the books themselve. If it's too distracting, I could see about changing my attitude, and I also welcome criticism re. text font, size, etc.

However, I think this could be an interesting experience for us all, a journey into a genre from another time and from another place than what we typically expect. Fingers crossed and thumbs held!

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock, or well, maybe you shouldn't HAVE such a stupid moustache, or Evidently boyscout here wasn't a part of the Christmas celebrations in '26

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samovar posted:

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uSb8PHjom4

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

However, I must say first up, I won't be as regular with this series as I was with Corto for a couple of reasons. 1) I have a job, now and 2) Translating a book that is heavy in idioms translated from French into idioms in Swedish into idioms in English is a little tough. Also, this series is published in colour, but I'm uploading in black and white because it is easier for me to edit the words, easier to sharpen images and also provides an impetus for anyone who would be interested in reading more themselves to support the original writers/artists and get the books themselve. If it's too distracting, I could see about changing my attitude, and I also welcome criticism re. text font, size, etc.

For mine, I think that font works really well for the material.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Don't drag Mr. Rogers into your twee bullshit, OBH.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (June 28, 1941)

I need an explanation for this one.

EasyEW posted:

Plagueshaft

For the record, “Airborne” is a useless fraudulent product on multiple levels.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 30, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Samovar posted:

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock, or well, maybe you shouldn't HAVE such a stupid moustache, or Evidently boyscout here wasn't a part of the Christmas celebrations in '26

I'm enjoying this so far, thank you for posting it :)

Classic Kevin & Kell (April 26-30, 1999)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Discendo Vox posted:

I need an explanation for this one.

I think the questionnaire means Bootsie has been drafted, so the other two are looking through his clothes (togs) to take some since he won't be needing then

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Holkeri's government, blue-red government: in late 1988 the government was led by the Social-Democratic Party (red) and the center-right National Alliance (blue) with Harri Holkeri (Alliance) as it's prime minister. As the two biggest parties supported by the Finnish Rural Party (who later left) and Swedish People's Party, the opposition was practically powerless.

There has also been talk of structural change or the government's "controlled restructuring", which was an attempt to modernize Finnish economy. While partially successful it was not all that controlled and with the collapse of Soviet Union ultimately led to the terrible economic depression of 1990's.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’m not surprised the dustin comic has such a low opinion of women and humanity in general, given the politics of the guy who writes it, but this is worse than usual

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (April 26-30, 1999)

There's a terrible "Silence of the Lambs" joke in here somewhere, but I'll settle for "Bruno, what the hell are you thinking?"

On the other hand Rudy doesn't know Corrie's a living sheep, so there's not much call to get angry about Rudy here.

But it's so bizarre that the outrage is "Bruno doesn't think I look pretty enough" and not "Bruno wants me to wear a dead sheep."

maltesh fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 30, 2021

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Wow Bushmiller has a solid case against the Wachowskis

Also now im just imagining this guy sounds like joey pants.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This one actually made me laugh. Dustin is too dull, poor and untalented to ever be a bad boy, kept man or boy toy.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Dustin already blew his chance to be a boy toy with this cougar

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That would be his lack of personality. Also ancient Chardonnay would be gross.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is blatant false advertising.

Working Daze really has its finger on the pulse of geekdom.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix discusses the smell of success.

Cul De Sac brings back some memories.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens Someone's probably furiously masturbating to this strip. It seems more fetishy than usual.

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 30, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/29/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 10/14/45

And somewhere in Philadelphia, little Bill Cosby, age 8, studies the paper intently.

Smokey Stover 5/15-17/39

In "jungle adventure" movies of this era, when drums started up on the soundtrack, it was a sign that something bad was about to happen to the protagonists.

Oh, and if you're wondering how long Holman can run with this story without drawing an actual African, the answer is pretty long.

Richard's Poor Almanac

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Samovar posted:

The only nit I have to pick is that it's the Well Fargo Wagon :eng101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LHlJSBkg0

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rofl who is the speaker here?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 1, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 1, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 1, 1989)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CommonShore posted:

rofl who is the speaker here?
Interestingly they added a word to make it clearer that mom was correcting him.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics Triple serving today, to wrap up our current issue.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Samovar posted:

So, I've been banging my drum for a bit now about my next upload project. And now's as good a time as any - ladies, gentlemen, NBs all, I present to you the first in (frankly, a GIGANTIC amount) of the comic series by Jean-Michael Charlier and Jean Giraud AKA Gir AKA Moebius. I present to you the Western comic: Blueberry

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock

I believe that it is the surplus of aces that propelled the story-line to violence.

Thank you for doing the heavy lifting to post this! If memory serves, I recall seeing this on kiosks all over Switzerland in the early 70s. I was still in the early learning phases of German (I was 8) so it was disappointing not to be able to understand what was happening. Looked exciting, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Kennel posted:

Huh. Does Family Circus reprint old strips often, or is this another symptom of These Unprecedented Times?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

Oh, and if you're wondering how long Holman can run with this story without drawing an actual African, the answer is pretty long.
I mean the whole reason we're doing all the spoilering is that arguably no one drew actual Africans in the 30s, that's not very reassuring.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 30, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

maltesh posted:

Huh. Does Family Circus reprint old strips often, or is this another symptom of These Unprecedented Times?

I think most of them are reprints, often with small retouches (even before mask comics). IIRC there's been ones that were originally printed in the 70s.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 11, 1943)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

howe_sam posted:

The only nit I have to pick is that it's the Well Fargo Wagon :eng101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LHlJSBkg0

My nitpick is more the fact that I mis-spelled 'Thank' in the third page!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ok boomer :v:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Loving this Zits arc. A cat makes for an excellent napkin

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

I'm still so annoyed by this.
The tree is sentient, why didn't it say anything about this beforehand? 'lol relax ppl, just droppin' a branch, it happens sometimes, it's like [REFERENCE TO SPECIES CHARACTERISTICS]!'
The tree is so huge and solid that the family can live inside it without issue, in comparison that branch is fairly small, and won't really do anything except smash anything it landed on?
Judging by the distance, it's not like it would gently caress up their neighbors house either. I don't know why any of this is such a big deal.

PS: also gently caress family circus for having a masked edit of them being in a church. 'tee hee mass congregations are totally fine because we have masks on!'
No, gently caress off, stay at home, you can go to church again once this is over. Religious/church events are constant and consistent superspreader events.

Moominposting

(Please pretend like I photoshopped in 'christ what an rear end in a top hat' into panel 3 there.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kennel posted:

I choose to believe that he's correcting her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (July 12, 1937), Caspar is worried about breach of promise and alienation of affection.