Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a fishing rod would be a pretty poor choice to enhance, now that i think about it. for it to work on anyone better than the spinning top scrub, he'd need to coat the entire string in aura. it would be different if it was a conjuration, or many strings. but again, gon's an enhancer so he would have to expend all his aura capacity on protecting a fishing line because it would become useless as soon as the weight and hook at the end were removed.

the only way it would make sense is if gon dedicated his nen to actual fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If chewing gum and coins are deadly weapons then a fishing rod can be

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Gon absolutely could've made use of his fishing rod but using rock paper scissors was far funnier and better instead and I'm happy togashi went that route.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for that to work nen would have had to work differently, is all. since nen was introduced around the time gon finally ditched his prop, togashi could have easily done so.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a fishing rod would be a pretty poor choice to enhance, now that i think about it. for it to work on anyone better than the spinning top scrub, he'd need to coat the entire string in aura. it would be different if it was a conjuration, or many strings. but again, gon's an enhancer so he would have to expend all his aura capacity on protecting a fishing line because it would become useless as soon as the weight and hook at the end were removed.

the only way it would make sense is if gon dedicated his nen to actual fishing.

I kinda assumed he was already using his aura on the fishing rod way back in Heavens Arena since otherwise the lure would break or at least warp when trying to upend tiles, however physically strong Gon himself had become at that point. I could be wrong though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The only change would have been towards how Gon fights and whether being disarmed is a huge problem for him if he had kept the rod. But punching hard is just a more suitable power for most main characters so I get why Togashi didn't let Gon keep it. Would have also made it real crappy during the Chimera Ants arc since the NGL wouldn't have let Gon bring it with him and he's not a conjurer nor really the kind of person I think would have the patience to conjure something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Last Celebration posted:

I kinda assumed he was already using his aura on the fishing rod way back in Heavens Arena since otherwise the lure would break or at least warp when trying to upend tiles, however physically strong Gon himself had become at that point. I could be wrong though.

He didn't learn how to suffuse objects with his aura until Greed Island, when training with Killua under Biscuit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the fishing rod was likely part of gon's original design specifically for the number tag test.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My friend who recently watched the 1999 series due to being A Frustrating Person Who Hates All Modern Anime was convinced Killua's skateboard was going to be a bigger deal and kept (mostly jokingly) lamenting how it faded into the ether.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Imagine being a HxH fan reading from the beginning during release and endlessly speculating about Killuas skateboard being very important to the upcoming chapter\arc

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I’m surprised his yo-yos made it almost through the entire Chimera Ant arc

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Reiche posted:

I’m surprised his yo-yos made it almost through the entire Chimera Ant arc

He's going to transfer to another school district and it'll all be about footbagging.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Jerkface posted:

Imagine being a HxH fan reading from the beginning during release and endlessly speculating about Killuas skateboard being very important to the upcoming chapter\arc

Patiently waiting for Killua's skateboard being found again on the Dark Continent.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Stayed up late and finished the election arc in one go. Final thoughts on the show:

--Pariston is simultaneously the funniest and most obnoxious character to cross the screen in a while. There's too many slimy snake politicians in real life, I did not need an anime one...but trolling the entire Association is exactly how Netero would want to be sent off, dude must be laughing it up in the afterlife.
--Leorio remains Best Boy, will stay Best Boy forever.
--On a related note, I too would vote for someone running on a Punch Ging In The Face platform.
--drat, Kurapika really DID become a Gang-star, I did not expect him to go so hard, chill out my man and pick up the drat phone.
--Given that the manga will end around the same time that Berserk does, that was a perfect place for the anime to end--so perfect, that I was surprised to find that the equivalent chapter was virtually the same beat for beat.
--gently caress I miss being able to walk into a library and walk out with like 10 tankobon, when will this quarantine hellscape enddd :smithicide:

TriffTshngo posted:

My friend who recently watched the 1999 series due to being A Frustrating Person Who Hates All Modern Anime

Also imma have to throw down with your friend for being a snobby jackass, he missed out on some of the best parts of the story because of his own stupidity. Plus this show was gorgeously, meticulously animated from start to finish in a way that I doubt the 1999 show (or frankly, almost any other show) could match. Seriously, where did Madhouse get the budget? 148 episodes and every single one had the quality of animation usually reserved for first episodes and major battle sequences. Did Togashi deliver a dump truck of money every week or something??

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Madhouse does some amazing animation.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Viola the Mad posted:

Also imma have to throw down with your friend for being a snobby jackass, he missed out on some of the best parts of the story because of his own stupidity. Plus this show was gorgeously, meticulously animated from start to finish in a way that I doubt the 1999 show (or frankly, almost any other show) could match. Seriously, where did Madhouse get the budget? 148 episodes and every single one had the quality of animation usually reserved for first episodes and major battle sequences. Did Togashi deliver a dump truck of money every week or something??

He's admitted on several occasions that 2011 is good in its own right so it's not like he uniformly trashes it or anything, if that's what you were thinking. Having watched through a chunk of 1999 myself a few months ago (stopped right before Yorknew 'cause I'd just gone through it again in 2011 recently before that and needed a break from spider drama) I actually liked it more than I thought I would. The muddy color palette a lot of it uses, the boring/kind of nonsensical filler, and the clear and repeated evidence that whoever was directing the show just did not "get" what Togashi was going for in a lot of cases, are all knocks against it, but when it does things well I was surprised at how well it did them. Of course it also does things like cut the entire Hisoka vs Kastro fight, which is some hot irredeemable garbage.

He's not really a "snob" so much as a guy who's always been super into the artistry of hand drawn 2D animation and so tends to gravitate almost exclusively to stuff made before 2000 unless I really push for something newer, or something catches his eye. Even if it's a random 80s mecha OVA nobody's heard of where the story loving sucks and it's impossible to figure out what's going on, but the robots look cool as hell so he likes it. He has gone back and watched several key moments from 2011 like Gon vs Hisoka and stuff like that, and opted for 2011's version of Greed Island over the OVAs since he hated how those looked.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

He's admitted on several occasions that 2011 is good in its own right so it's not like he uniformly trashes it or anything, if that's what you were thinking. Having watched through a chunk of 1999 myself a few months ago (stopped right before Yorknew 'cause I'd just gone through it again in 2011 recently before that and needed a break from spider drama) I actually liked it more than I thought I would. The muddy color palette a lot of it uses, the boring/kind of nonsensical filler, and the clear and repeated evidence that whoever was directing the show just did not "get" what Togashi was going for in a lot of cases, are all knocks against it, but when it does things well I was surprised at how well it did them. Of course it also does things like cut the entire Hisoka vs Kastro fight, which is some hot irredeemable garbage.

Wait, what the gently caress? How does your adaptation have filler but exclude the fight that explains why everyone doesn’t just make their nen ability the most overpowered poo poo they can think of?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

He's not really a "snob" so much as a guy who's always been super into the artistry of hand drawn 2D animation and so tends to gravitate almost exclusively to stuff made before 2000 unless I really push for something newer, or something catches his eye. Even if it's a random 80s mecha OVA nobody's heard of where the story loving sucks and it's impossible to figure out what's going on, but the robots look cool as hell so he likes it. He has gone back and watched several key moments from 2011 like Gon vs Hisoka and stuff like that, and opted for 2011's version of Greed Island over the OVAs since he hated how those looked.

Ok, that's more reasonable. From your brief description I assumed that your friend was one of those "No GOOD anime has been made past 2000, modern anime sucks!" fans, and I have absolutely no patience for that poo poo. But yeah, a connoisseur of hand drawn animation is going to find increasingly fewer offerings in the 21st century. He should give Redline a shot, which involves an absurd amount of hand-made frames, despite being made in 2009.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? How does your adaptation have filler but exclude the fight that explains why everyone doesn’t just make their nen ability the most overpowered poo poo they can think of?

If memory serves, it isn't skipped but it isn't shown in full. They show the start and the end, and then other bits are shown through flashbacks and when they review the video later. All the stuff about nen compatibility is explained in the same way.

It's definitely the wrong impression to think about the '99 version as full of filler though, there is really not much at all. Almost all the filler is present in the first 20 or so episodes. Second half of the series has none(?) or next to none. It would not be easy for people who haven't seen the original to go back and watch it now having seen 2011, but personally I think the pacing at the beginning of the original is handled in a better way, especially if you haven't read the manga - if you aren't eager to get to certain bits or whatever, the Hunter Exam is a more solid and complete arc and in my view probably the only section that is a straight upgrade over the remake. Other exam competitors have more character building, and the whole interstitial exam on the battleship is just pretty cool.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Jeza posted:

If memory serves, it isn't skipped but it isn't shown in full. They show the start and the end, and then other bits are shown through flashbacks and when they review the video later. All the stuff about nen compatibility is explained in the same way.

I was waiting for a flashback where they review the tape but that never happens. It just shows little flashes of Kastro getting owned and you never see what happens or get told how or why he lost.

Also for some reason Riehlvelt's not paralyzed and rides a scooter instead of a wheelchair, and Gido and Sadaso aren't amputees. It was weird and kind of undercuts the whole thing about how Nen Initiation is super hosed up and dangerous.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
did that hisoka side chapter ever get a full version?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I blazed through hxh 2011 the past few days. What a ride. I had some vague idea about the chimera ants going into it due to osmosis from people chatting casually about it but I wasn't sure what to expect. Then the new intro kicks in with the ants front and center, right down to the drums starting up right as the queen's head comes into view. My only disappointment is that you basically get very little pure ant stuff, which the opening implies with a few sequences of a giant ant army but in the actual anime the only "pure" ant is the queen and even she's got numerous features that imply some human ancestry.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
https://youtu.be/6c0nQat0iK0

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Possible Hunter X Hunter stuff coming.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2021-02-07/megumi-han-mariya-ise-tease-new-recording-for-that-project/.169261

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Don’t play with my heart like this

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The HxH movies have been bad though, and there's definitely not enough manga for any kind of continuation.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I could be an ova, film or videogame that I won't care about, BUT... Togashi seems pretty business savvy, so he could have been holding back the manga for a time, waiting until this announcement is done to also resume the manga's publication, to make the hype bubble bigger. So I'm here with crossed fingers. We will see in some months, I guess?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Could be something as simple as a promo for Jump thing. Since Gon and Killua don't even star in the current arc and it would make no sense to start adapting that with the current number of chapters.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Honestly, Togashi should just cancel the manga and have the rest of what he had plan for HxH animated by Madhouse

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I got pretty hype for a second before realizing, oh, yeah, Gon and Killua haven’t shown up since the chapters where the anime ends and tempered my expectations accordingly.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

clearly this is going to be an adaptation of Chrollo v Hisoka, with Gon and Killua watching and doing play by play and color commentary.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Honestly, Togashi should just cancel the manga and have the rest of what he had plan for HxH animated by Madhouse

maybe he should just write a book

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

clearly this is going to be an adaptation of Chrollo v Hisoka, with Gon and Killua watching and doing play by play and color commentary.

at this point I'd settle for that

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maybe Togashi should get some help from his wife

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's old as hell too, so maybe she isn't up for drawing a weekly manga any more than togashi is.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

bees x1000 posted:

I’ve wanted this for years.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://twitter.com/realdgame/status/1361148276737679364
So the new project is some kind of play at home room escape deal.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if we escape the room do we find a new chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nobody knows the solution, togashi tried beta-testing it and has been stuck in there for years