Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're not going to get away from those "few rules problems" because the game was built around Switch-to-finisher and it's impossible to do what BCO did in a physical game.

Your only choice for changing it without letting the person using the finisher due stupid option selects is to go back to ante finisher, though ante finisher lets people try to counter-ante the finisher so you would be better off adding another phase between ante and Reveal in which you can declare your finisher and it only goes off at Reveal if you played Switch.

In what way is Switch a "great tool," though? It's not the ability to switch finishers and it's not the extra force once every three beats. Its main use is being a 0/0/0/0 style on characters who have bad prio spreads or lots of -power.

Well, one of the main reason is it really irks me having an option presented and then turned off, but i also like it because of all things you mentioned, the switch serves to give a bit more use to niche finishers, force-management can be an interesting part of the game and more ways to manipulate it (even of minimal impact) are good, and the 0/0/0/0 is a godsend for some characters.
While i played before with another blank style representing finishers, the next time i can play irl ( covid sucks), i'll try adding the provision that when used the style is thrashed regardless of the finisher being actually played or not, hoping that this way those option-selects are void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Switch is potentially important for style conservation at times. Not *often*, but it gives you an option that essentially provides an extra style in the turns following its use, or lets you reserve some powerful styles more easily.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My BCon has shipped :toot:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

On my holiday break I decided to finally consolidate things to BattleCON Unleashed and, uh, what do I actually need to bring from other BCon sets? My initial foray made me realize that War is pretty...complete? Is there a resource somewhere that tells me exactly what to save?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

On my holiday break I decided to finally consolidate things to BattleCON Unleashed and, uh, what do I actually need to bring from other BCon sets? My initial foray made me realize that War is pretty...complete? Is there a resource somewhere that tells me exactly what to save?

The short answer is "if it's a card that's part of a fighter's regular kit, you can trash it"

Every single style, unique base, and finisher for every fighter was reprinted. You need to bring in all of their chipboard components though; standees, tokens, markers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-unleashed-the-ultimate-battlecon-edition/posts/2979416

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thanks, both!

...This is a lot of work!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh god okay so I missed out on the Unleashed kickstarter and I have old copies of Devastation and Trials. What's my upgrade path at this point? Do I have to buy the games again? Not that I mind doing that necessarily because the games are great and Level99 can take my money, but if there's a cleaner way to do it I'll take it. I threw out the insert for Devastation and just have everything in a bunch of plastic bags like an idiot so the tuck boxes would be nice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you missed out on Unleashed you missed out on the storage box/upgrade patches as that was KS-exclusive.

Devastation Remastered and Wanderers are both 4.0 and commercially available. Trials has also gotten a 4.0 upgrade that is available from L99 (make sure you're not just buying Trials 3.0 if you're getting it from a LGS or e-tailer).

As of now, there's no news on 4.0 upgrades of War Remastered or Fate but it would make sense for those to come in the future.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well, good thing I got my Christmas bonus! Guess I'll see if they can even get here with current events going on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Errata Pack confirmed for Bcon unleashed. Theyre making a free PnP set, and listing the cards on DriveThruCards for those that want professionally printed ones. Two tiers of cards, High Priority which are actual gameplay effecting oopsies, and Low Priority which are just small gaffes like the "SI" instead of Shield icon for stun immunity and stuff like that

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's nice they're at least doing something but it sucks that the options are printing that poo poo on paper at home and sticking it in the card sleeves like you're proxying 4.0, or paying $50 to buy 30 errata cards whose backs won't even match the official printing. I already spent $300 on Unleashed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have to wonder if it couldn't have just been done with a sticker sheet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

I have to wonder if it couldn't have just been done with a sticker sheet.

That's Brad's official recommendation in the discord--print the pnp on sticker paper

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I posted this over in the Kickstarter thread, but people here might be interested:
Michael Kelley of One Stop Co-op Shop recently developed solo variants for BattleCON and Exceed (s3 and 4, Street Fighter/Shovel Knight):
Here's BattleCon:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2556156/solo-variant-4th-edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IWKoS7JomQ

Here's Exceed:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2586108/solo-variant-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWrXFeirmfo

I haven't tried them, but good on the guy for thinking outside the box.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Been playing quite a bit of BattleCON lately and thanks to the TTS module I’m starting to categorise the characters in very distinct categories. There’s general good all rounder characters that are generally fun to play (Shek, Varrah, Eligor etc), there are assholes that make the game frustrating for your opponent (Beanvier, Lixis, Cherri, Arec etc), there are ones that require galaxy brains to play (Endrbyt, Gaspar) and then there’s probably the saddest group, which is just characters that are kinda uninspired or seem to be missing something.

I think Zaamassal falls in the latter. I’ve only had a chance to play and face him a couple of times but he’s always seemed lacklustre to me. His prio spread is alright but nothing to brag about, with a +2/+1/-1 spread, but his real issue is his incredibly bad power spread, which only has -1/+1 modifier. This is meant to be supplemented by his Chip 2 plane but keeping it up to actually deal damage can be difficult and prevents him from reacting to his opponent using other planes. He just seems somehow both too flexible and too restrictive and just doesn’t really seem to do anything well. If he had good sources of damage outside of a single plane he could leverage this to actually use planes that counter his opponent, but he just doesn’t. It just seems like a very uninspired design to me.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

jivjov posted:

Errata Pack confirmed for Bcon unleashed. Theyre making a free PnP set, and listing the cards on DriveThruCards for those that want professionally printed ones. Two tiers of cards, High Priority which are actual gameplay effecting oopsies, and Low Priority which are just small gaffes like the "SI" instead of Shield icon for stun immunity and stuff like that

How bothersome to you are the errata, in totality? And I'd include the deliberately un-updated tokens (i.e. petrify and the ones that have old keywords) in the question. There is a bit of theoretical feel-bad that "the ultimate edition" isn't the best version of the game, but without having the set in hand I can't really judge if it's a big deal or not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't care about the non-updated tokens but a bunch of the printing mistakes have actual mechanical impact, like printing cards with a missing or incorrect +/- sign, or Dareios' drinks giving you double the intended stats RAW.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Some Solo Fighters on sale at CoolStuffInc

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/2662?&s=bg

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
4.0 official errata doc: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0277/6724/2855/files/Errata_Sheet_Template_-_Updated.pdf?v=1611945213

Print-on-demand errata pack is a week or two away as they test print runs to make sure the card back colours match.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Not gonna lie, unless L99 puts together a deal to ship out the errata at cost this is leaving a super sour taste in my mouth.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm concerned that thanks to Brexit whoever they make this available to for printing is gonna end up with gigantic fees for us Brits

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just got Collusion and holy poo poo dats alotta poo poo. I have a leftover +5 friendship, not sure who it belongs to :(

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

djfooboo posted:

Just got Collusion and holy poo poo dats alotta poo poo. I have a leftover +5 friendship, not sure who it belongs to :(
Finally just got it all packed away into the blue Collusion box (didn't need to use the red one). Phew, took about half a day, but very satisfying to see everything so neatly organized.

There's some issues with the dividers (some are mislabeled and the Set Rotation starter deck dividers are missing) and the red box's insert was ripped and bowed for me, but on the whole, really like the production. It's insane how many cards and artwork this game has.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
supposedly, much like with BattleCON, once fulfillment is done and they have all the errata in, they're planning a way to fix the errors

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, QA was a bit disappointing. Not sure how this wasn’t caught as many are wrong. 1 or 2 is understandable, but this was like 10+ mess ups. Also my red ink is all sorts of hues, not sure what’s up with that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alright so the casual league kinda failed, but the tournament went pretty well before that, so I want to run another one. Anyone interested in taking part to one similar to the previous one, let me know.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Alright so the casual league kinda failed, but the tournament went pretty well before that, so I want to run another one. Anyone interested in taking part to one similar to the previous one, let me know.

Millenium Blades kickstarter came in and man is the interior divider all sorts of messed up from shipping. Might talk to some local design shops about putting together a lasercut option or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PJOmega posted:

Millenium Blades kickstarter came in and man is the interior divider all sorts of messed up from shipping. Might talk to some local design shops about putting together a lasercut option or something.

L99 is offering replacements if yours is busted beyond reasonable repair

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Well, good news for Unleashed backers, at least.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Fingers crossed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Notably, no word yet on the minor errata

Edit: the word on the minor errata is "well is over 500 cards. Most are just capitalization errors. It's too expensive to print and ship on our cost, and while we could put it up on DTC, that's a product we'd recommend nobody actually buy"

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 5, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jivjov posted:

Notably, no word yet on the minor errata

Edit: the word on the minor errata is "well is over 500 cards. Most are just capitalization errors. It's too expensive to print and ship on our cost, and while we could put it up on DTC, that's a product we'd recommend nobody actually buy"
Yikes, over 500 cards, hachi machi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

JazzFlight posted:

Yikes, over 500 cards, hachi machi.

Brad defined "minor errata" all the way down to "we printed 'life' instead of 'Life'" so I get it

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah it seems like most of the minor errata are errors which you notice if they are pointed out but not that will effect play.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Mine showed up this morning and I think I lucked out, the divider is only a bit bent with one crack so should suffice.

Still, whichever idiot thought that putting all the cards in the middle section needs a slap upside the head.

Might wait and see what is going to happen with the errata etc. before starting to move stuff over. Sad that between this and Unleashed they've had major QC issues...

Also new Empyrial KS coming soon, reprint plus a new mini expansion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zark the Damned posted:

Mine showed up this morning and I think I lucked out, the divider is only a bit bent with one crack so should suffice.

Still, whichever idiot thought that putting all the cards in the middle section needs a slap upside the head.

Might wait and see what is going to happen with the errata etc. before starting to move stuff over. Sad that between this and Unleashed they've had major QC issues...

The manufacturer of the inserts is blaming the folks who assembled the whole package for fulfillment, and the fulfillment folks are blaming the manufacturers. I think it boils down to L99 didn't give explicit instructions on how to pack it and trusted everyone else involved to do it right, and they instead did it quick

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Man. I only got to try Empyreal once before lockdown.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Zark the Damned posted:

Mine as well, my middle divider is a bit bent outwards but I didn't see any cracks in it. I must have lucked out, the cards in the middle weren't even turned on their sides and that's all the damage I saw. It's gonna take forever to put the whole game in there, though. Not to mention sleeving all the new cards...

I'd be interested in a casual Battlecon League, I've only played a few games of Battlecon Online so I don't think I'd enter a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just listened to a bunch of the battlecon soundtrack they put up and a bunch of those tracks loving slap