Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know if Sega considers Sonic games a direct competition for Mario games anymore, but they really should have looked at how long it took to make Mario games and thought to emulate that.

The tragic part is that that's kinda what they're doing. Sonic Lost World and Sonic Forces both came out on the same years as Mario 3D World and Mario Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MJeff posted:

Mike Pollock will be replaced by Jim Carrey. Roger Craig Smith will also be replaced by Jim Carrey.

While I thought Ben Shwartz was a really good replacement for the usual Sonic voice, I didn't think the same for Jim Carrey. He was... fine. I guess. But he wasn't Robotnik. He was just Jim Carrey in any movie he has ever done. To me he was one of the weaker parts of the movie but that's more becasue I'm just kind of tired of Jim Carrey's whole thing.

Augus posted:

how do you read that comic page and not see anything cartoonish about it

Eh to me it goes maybe a little too far into weird deviantart torture fetish territory. It paralyzes them! But they are fully aware of everything going on so they can experience it with all their senses! And they're gonna be locked away like that for 50 years! In a very small cell! And it's also pitch black in there! And also there's several of them he's done that too. I dunno, it goes a little too far for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the over-the-top cruelty of the punishment for an incredibly petty reason is what makes it funny. dunno how you can get “torture fetish” from that

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Cross-posting an amusing anecdote from a thread about... uhh.. Doug.

Das Boo posted:

So I worked with a dude named Tyson Hesse and he's a sincere Sonic fan. When he was called on to direct some of the shorts, he visited our team to catch up and we started discussing it. He was lamenting that Sega didn't allow dialogue in the shorts. Sonic's two character traits are A) Fast and B) Cool, and removing any kind of banter really eats into trait 2. He was pretty much left with Fast, and was having trouble developing a story around that.

Then a coworker asked, "Tyson, are you just realizing Sonic sucks?" And he just stared off into space for 5 seconds while we laughed at him.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think I have some bad news to impart regarding Dr Eggman putting animals into small dark compartments for extended periods.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

azurite posted:

sounds like an rear end in a top hat op

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Screaming Idiot posted:

Eggman is his best when he's being a cartoon character instead of "psychotic monster" or whatever edgy poo poo that was in that comic panel. He's a big fat guy with a silly mustache who gets frustrated at a mischievous blue hedgehog, he's basically a Loony Toons villain.

As much as I hate to praise anything about Sonic Boom, his writing there was about as good as you could get, though it would have been better if the rest of the cast wasn't trying to Joss Whedon through each episode, and if Knuckles wasn't portrayed as being mentally challenged.

We had an edgy Robotnik, and we got rid of him when we got rid of Penders, and good loving riddance to him. The edgelord stuff helped to ruin Sonic Forces, though it was primarily the lackluster and laggy controls.

gently caress off. Penders' problem wasn't that he was 'edgy.' His problem was that he was a poo poo writer whose head was so far up his rear end that he could probably see the polyp causing all that diarrhea to come spewing out of his mouth. The Sonic comics had plenty of stories with high stakes, grave consequences, and serious tone long after Penders left, and unlike Penders they actually delivered on a satisfying narrative and were, you know... good. In the hands of a competent writer, you can have light-hearted comedy and levity and serious themes of loss, betrayal, and desperation in the same series without getting tonal whiplash from it. There's more than enough room in the series to accommodate both sets of expression, and in fact both those emotional zeniths and nadirs are amplified for the contrast.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

azurite posted:

Anyone who bullies Tyson is my enemy

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

sounds like an rear end in a top hat op
Yeah that story sucks

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Katsuma posted:

gently caress off. Penders' problem wasn't that he was 'edgy.' His problem was that he was a poo poo writer whose head was so far up his rear end that he could probably see the polyp causing all that diarrhea to come spewing out of his mouth. The Sonic comics had plenty of stories with high stakes, grave consequences, and serious tone long after Penders left, and unlike Penders they actually delivered on a satisfying narrative and were, you know... good. In the hands of a competent writer, you can have light-hearted comedy and levity and serious themes of loss, betrayal, and desperation in the same series without getting tonal whiplash from it. There's more than enough room in the series to accommodate both sets of expression, and in fact both those emotional zeniths and nadirs are amplified for the contrast.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

who the gently caress said sonic sucks

i'll kick their goddamn rear end

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sonic sucks

chili dogs

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Oh Knuckles comic :allears:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

“We need to make this character’s personality match the one in the games... what do we do?”
“Give him brain damage”
“Perfect!”

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

“We need to make this character’s personality match the one in the games... what do we do?”
“Give him brain damage”
“Perfect!”

That was Flynn, not Penders, and Flynn's gone on record almost immediately after it apologizing for having done it and regretting it. Still really dumb of course, but there's a difference between "Yup, I hosed up and I shouldn't have done it." and I actually have nothing because Penders thinks he's a genius and never wrote anything bad.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Katsuma posted:

so is this sincereposting or what

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

What's wrong with sincereposting?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Early 3D is an aesthetic of it's own now and it's really good.

I agree, and think the faux-polygon stuff in Sonic 1 is iconic, but the pre-rendered stuff in 2D games is kind of uncanny and nauseating.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pre rendering models and making them into sprites is something you could just about get away with on CRTs. With modern televisions insisting on showing you every filthy pixel it's a technique that's aged horribly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mikedawson posted:

Because we must hide the truth lest our enemies use it against our loved ones, like my Snively Kintobor body pillow.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because we must hide the truth lest our enemies use it against our loved ones, like my Snively Kintobor body pillow.

Jesus christ, get over yourself. You're not funny, you're mean and needlessly pessimistic.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mikedawson posted:

Well, there’s posting sincerely and then there’s sincerely making a bad post.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the problem with penders writing isn't that he's edgy, he isn't a lot of the time, the problem is that he's a tedious bore who will spend six issues hyping up a new character or plot point and then do absolutely nothing with it. he never resolves anything, just moves on to the next fake cliffhanger or inconsequential twist. also he's gross

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most of pender's stuff really isn't what I'd consider "edgy"
its tone is more like a lovely soap opera than anything, or like the early versions of Star Wars from before it was turned into a good movie

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2021

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, it's sincere. I'm not really all that ashamed to admit that I unironically like the Sonic comics. I like the humor and the jokes and the silliness, but I also really like it when Sonic's narrative turns to the serious and the dramatic. The stories have had their misses. There's no disputing that. But when they try for pathos and actually manage to stick the landing, I think it's really great. I love the characters. Yes, I had big crushes on Princess Sally and Bunnie Rabbot when I was a little girl. I'm comfortable with that.

I also really liked Ken Penders' work back in the day, but that was because I was a stupid kid, and Penders is really good at leaving dangling plot hooks all over the place. I saw all those hints at a larger grandiose and intricate narrative, and my imagination did all the heavy lifting in filling out the *massive* empty spaces in the plot. It was easy; I'd frequently miss issues here and there, so I always kind of assumed that Penders was referring to events and stories that had been detailed in issues I hadn't read yet. It was only with the benefit of years and years of hindsight that I realize he suckered me. He's the Star Citizen of Sonic writers: tons of vague but grandiose promises; wet fart of a delivery.

Ian's run and the IDW comics are really, really good, though. The bleakest parts of the Metal Virus arc and the side stories in the Annual made me feel some real, genuine emotions, and I think that's awesome! I don't get why everyone doesn't think it's awesome! That bit where Metal Sonic dips their hand in the Metal Virus vat? Just perfect.

So... yes, I sincerely love the Sonic comics, and I love it when they eschew the humor and try to tell an actual story with a solid emotional heart. I live for that stuff. Tangle and Whisper are super in love with each other and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Edit: poo poo, loving... E-102 Gamma? Come on, that was a great story.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 30, 2021

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I've read IDW and the reboot era of archie and both are really good. What I really loved about reboot Archie is the effort it put into taking all the strange and unique disparate parts of Sonic's world and creating one cohesive world. I also really loved how much Ian Flynn explored the potential depths of the characters, and how to expand on them or make characters interact in interesting ways. The art is also really good and I love the designs of all the egg bosses.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

As someone who read the UK comic as a kid and not Archie I really enjoyed reboot Archie and I was sad to see it and it's characters go when Sega pulled the license.

I've been enjoying the IDW comic and it's new characters, though I think the Metal Virus arc went on a bit long.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So is Silver like, a baby or something in the present day and that's why even though the exact bad future he's here to prevent this week has been averted, he can still show up next week to warn everyone about the way it's hosed this time? Does he remember all the times he's to come back and do this? I know 2006 unhappened it's story.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In the comics they had it as basically yeah, every time Silver goes home he finds some new way the future's hosed and has to come back to unfuck it. In the games, just don't worry about it, he's on the list of Modern Sonic's Marketable Friends and that trumps any overarching storytelling.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like the idea that his future is always hosed, so he just rolls with it and takes advantage of his role as the Trunks of Sonic and partakes in some races or sporting events before fighting whatever person winds up as the global overlord in today’s bad future.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caidin posted:

So is Silver like, a baby or something in the present day and that's why even though the exact bad future he's here to prevent this week has been averted, he can still show up next week to warn everyone about the way it's hosed this time? Does he remember all the times he's to come back and do this? I know 2006 unhappened it's story.

Silver is basically unstuck from time, so he'll go to the present to avert the future, come back, and find not only is the future still hosed, but he's apparently done poo poo he has no memory of doing and has to relearn his own history again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who will hug baby Silver?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Silver will.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

i will

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

In the comics they had it as basically yeah, every time Silver goes home he finds some new way the future's hosed and has to come back to unfuck it. In the games, just don't worry about it, he's on the list of Modern Sonic's Marketable Friends and that trumps any overarching storytelling.

To be fair that's Cable's whole gag so...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like the writers for the Sonic series since Colors have been let go as well:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/two_veteran_sonic_the_hedgehog_writers_appear_to_have_moved_on

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Larryb posted:

Seems like the writers for the Sonic series since Colors have been let go as well:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/two_veteran_sonic_the_hedgehog_writers_appear_to_have_moved_on

Man, I really hope they put out an interview sometime to explain the process. I have a hard time seeing the guys who wrote for Colors doing Forces. Unless, like, they got some freedom to localize Colors' script while the Forces script came with minimal room for localization/improvement from the jp script.

I guess we are for sure seeing a "new start" with the next game. Wouldn't even be too shocked if the new cartoon is a direct tie-in to the game. Just makes me real nervous because that's sorta what happened with Forces.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Colors Gens Lost World and Forces are all clearly the same writers to me lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It does worry me that we’re back to “well they had plenty of time to work on something good” and we end up with another game they spent like a year on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Colors and Lost World were Pontac and Graff, Forces was written in Japan and they only localized the scrip while adding dumb bullshit like "months of torture" and "Tails losing it".