Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

Unlike Xbox one games, you keep 360 gwg game even when you don't have gold. I wonder if og xbox is the same.

You only keep them on 360 tho not on more modern consoles. Not sure if you can still claim them on a 360 tho or if they sunsetted gold for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

No, the music & car licenses expired. Forza Horizon 1 and 2 were given away for free before they expired, Forza Horizon 3 fell out of the store without such a fanfare.

Forza Horizon 3 got a huge discount before the licenses expired.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

You only keep them on 360 tho not on more modern consoles. Not sure if you can still claim them on a 360 tho or if they sunsetted gold for it

Not true. I never owned a 360 but I still have one of the Castlevania 360 games from years ago that I got with GWG

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not true. I never owned a 360 but I still have one of the Castlevania 360 games from years ago that I got with GWG

I think I have three of them. Are any of them worth playing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nah they were pretty rubbish even at the time they came out.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

At the risk of defending a hypothetical I admit is pretty odd, Microsoft writ large is more interested in selling subscriptions than they are in selling software. Been that way for a while now.

On that note, there's a lot of chatter that Microsoft are apparently in the process of making another acquisition on the scale of the Bethesda one. That one apparently took a few years to complete and this next one is expected to complete late this year or early next year it seems. Same as before with the rumors being vague but the reality ended up being genuinely surprising and Microsoft haven't been shy about wanting to acquire more studios, with a specific intention for a Japanese one.

I had assumed that they'd likely acquire Capcom since the only other Japanese studio in the same ballpark is Sega who have complications that would make an acquisition difficult, but yesterday Sega announced that they were splitting their console/PC and pachinko businesses into two separate companies owned by Sega Sammy, which is very coincidental timing and now frees them up for a clean acquisition.

Microsoft is really going all-out with making Xbox Studios huge and I think it's related to GamePass and a general strategy of owning so many studios that the service is a huge money maker for them. They seem to be racing Amazon & Google in this sense (and Tencent, in a way) since it seems very clear what direction they are heading in.

If it does end up being Sega I'm curious how that will shake out IP-wise. They'll own Sonic, Yakuza, Virtua Fighter (and a whole bunch of others, such as JET SET RADIOOOOOOOO) and presumably PC RTS game IPs (and Phil Spencer is a big RTS fan) but I wonder what happens with other things like Atlus? They're owned by Sega so I guess the Persona IP goes with them? Creative Assembly are owned as well and Alien Isolation was very cool but I think Sega has since lost the license for that and has them working on the Warhammer: Total War games? There's Relic as well who made some amazing Warhammer RTS games and their latest title was Age of Empires IV for Microsoft.

I wouldn't expect their games to suddenly go Xbox-exclusive since Microsoft doesn't seem to be taking that tactic (I think they said some Bethesda games might be exclusive however, so maybe they'll cherry pick titles?) but this news certainly lines up with what we've been hearing about. Definitely positioning themselves well for the long haul but drat. I'd assume this would be a final acquisition but they could certainly continue if they wanted to :stare:

If it is Sega however, I really hope they get their hands on the Alien license so Creative Assembly can make another game like Alien Isolation, but maybe their RTS games are more successful? They made Halo Wars 2 for Microsoft a few years back

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

I think I have three of them. Are any of them worth playing?

The first one is interesting but flawed, and arguably worth playing for the sumptuous visuals in certain areas. Narratively its an absolute embarassment that foreshadows and builds to a satisfying ending and then ignores literally all of that to have a different ending with the same outcome that it feels like the writers forgot the entire thing they wrote.

The DS game is on the bad side of middling, with a just unappealing reinvention of more of the original casltevania mythos mixed with a faux-troidvania design to the stages. Its level design honest to god reminded me of the lovely castlevania knock offs on feature phones

The second 360/PS3 title is abominable in quality versus the production budget. Basically non stop you will resent the story and gameplay mechanics and has one of the most infamously stupid and unsatisfying forced stealth sequences to the point where it feels personally insulting.

The team that made this went on to remake metroid 2 and basically all of their non QoL changes are regarded between "fine" and "worst boss in the entire series"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nah they were pretty rubbish even at the time they came out.

Barudak posted:

The first one is interesting but flawed

The DS game is on the bad side of middling

The second 360/PS3 title is abominable

If you had told me in 1997 the best Castlevania game on Xbox in 2021 is SotN, I would have said 1) what's an Xbox?, and 2) what the hell is wrong with the gaming industry?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't those new Castlevania games have bad stealth sections or something? I recall seeing such complaints about the second one.

I tried the 360 port of the 3DS game since it was free with Gold and it's aggressively average. Clunky as hell in a very bad way.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

How was that Harmony of Despair game? It seemed kinda cool but I think it turned out to be really grind-y in the end?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regarding Sega the big values to Microsoft are football manager/total war, Persona/smt to add a million seller rpg series, Yakuza to round out their genres, and I guess Sonic but laffo its more valuable as a movie brand now.

ErrEff posted:

Didn't those new Castlevania games have bad stealth sections or something? I recall seeing such complaints about the second one.

I tried the 360 port of the 3DS game since it was free with Gold and it's aggressively average. Clunky as hell in a very bad way.

The second one on the 360/PS3 has the stealth section. You are Dracula, terror of mankind and bringer of the apocalypse. You must stealth from an enemy in the game where despite being able to shape change into a bat or gas or a dozen other things you decide to stick to the ground. Stepping on any of the many extremely loud twigs in the area instantly alerts the enemy who then instantly kills you start over again. When you successfully sneak up on them... you have a regular boss fight and kill them and the story moves on because this is not even the halfway mark and they weren't that narratively important.

Special note: you do absolutely nothing to stop the instant kill move; the game and narrative just pretends like that only exists if you are caught sneaking; canonically as far as the story is concerned he doesnt have such a move.

SUNKOS posted:

How was that Harmony of Despair game? It seemed kinda cool but I think it turned out to be really grind-y in the end?

It has three issues, the last of which was and is 100% fatal

1) The game is not remotely even a teensy bit balanced. Some characters are and will forever be easier to power up and better with more options than others
2) Some characters, and mostly amusingly enough the worst ones, require an insane grind to power up. It sort of makes sense since these characters powerup by doing stuff so you can use them while grinding out drops for the characters who need drops to power up but hoooooly moly are drops way more frequent and the power gap so huge as to make this pointless
3) For a game that is all about the cool maps, DLC acounts for 1/2-2/3rds of the maps. Despite being back compatible and psuedo re-released, no bundle or sale was ever made for this content. Hardcore players only want to run DLC maps, new players run the most boring ones their stuck with, and if you do want to buy the maps you have to buy them one at a time and at a pricing that iirc ends up being 2x or more the base price of the game. The game came out on the 360 when DLC and how GaaS need to be setup was new but like, poo poo my dudes this was so obvious.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 30, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the info, shame they ruined it.

Speaking of and in regards to Sonic, I still don't understand what was going on when Generations was and is a great game. They really should have continued along that path imo because the mix of 2D & 3D levels was awesome, and once they were done with the best-of selection they could have then moved onto new locations and areas. Generations would have made a great series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would unironically buy a second attempt at Harmony of Despair, the core concept of "co-op speed run an entire castlevania map with characters and items and skills from across all the games" was an amazing concept and it sold well, the DLC underperformed and well Konami Konami'd in response.

Theres a lot of weird stuff with Sonic, even recently. Like Sonic Mania sold so well they made unplanned DLC to double dip while the iron was hot but just... didn't follow up with the devs and try to get them working on a sequel or show any interest in it. Sonic Forces was initially billed as Generations 2 but lol no it wasn't. They smothered the sonic boom game to tie into their show but had absolutely nothing ready to go when their film came out.

The film as a reminder is the best performing video game movie of all time and has a sequel in the works so Sonic is a fuckin champ and producing garbage and people loving it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I just hope they keep Sonic out of the rumored new Killer Instinct game if this acquisition goes ahead. Kazuma Kiryu would be a great addition to the roster, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of and in regards to Sonic, I still don't understand what was going on when Generations was and is a great game. They really should have continued along that path imo because the mix of 2D & 3D levels was awesome, and once they were done with the best-of selection they could have then moved onto new locations and areas. Generations would have made a great series.

generations was really, really good. except the final boss, which was just bewildering.

but sega really hasn't seemed to know what the gently caress to do with sonci since, well, s3&k, so it's no surprise that they made a game as good as generations and then just dropped it and went and made lost world afterward.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Castlevania: LOS2 had a pretty good DLC where you play as Alucard. Aside from that, those games were pretty bad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really do think Sega selling their arcades and now splitting into 2 companies is absolutely getting ready for a potential sale

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

generations was really, really good. except the final boss, which was just bewildering.

but sega really hasn't seemed to know what the gently caress to do with sonci since, well, s3&k, so it's no surprise that they made a game as good as generations and then just dropped it and went and made lost world afterward.

Lost world was good and different though, while generations was just another tired reiteration of the "classics." Should've just continued smoothing out the lost world gameplay.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I know Sonic Team didn't make it, but Sonic Mania is super good if you haven't played it. just as good if not better than the originals

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bushisms.txt posted:

Lost world was good and different though, while generations was just another tired reiteration of the "classics." Should've just continued smoothing out the lost world gameplay.

:chloe:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I just hope they keep Sonic out of the rumored new Killer Instinct game if this acquisition goes ahead. Kazuma Kiryu would be a great addition to the roster, though.
while i do love this hysteria around a sega buyout continuing there's been specific comments on kiryu not going into fighting games before from toshihiro nagoshi as it'd end up with kiryu hitting women

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Generations was not even remotely a tired retread of the classics, how the gently caress does one even come to that conclusion

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

Generations was not even remotely a tired retread of the classics, how the gently caress does one even come to that conclusion

Because it literally is... I mean you may not be tired of it, but Sega was clearly flailing and went for nostalgia. Which is why they moved on with a completely different philosophy afterwards. Lost world was an attempt at rounding out Sonic's mechanics. The vault transitions needed work and I didn't care for the sprite powers, but the rest was refreshing, even if it was headed in a mario galaxy direction. I wouldn't have minded them taking another swipe at colors though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Toaster Beef posted:

the same level of broke-brainness that leads one to conclude that lost world is a good game

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the same level of broke-brainness that leads one to conclude that lost world is a good game

Considering it's a sonic game, we're already being generous on what constitutes good, so you can keep that bitterness.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

bushisms.txt posted:

Because it literally is... I mean you may not be tired of it, but Sega was clearly flailing and went for nostalgia. Which is why they moved on with a completely different philosophy afterwards.

The reimagined levels were fantastic, though. Game was far from flailing, it was the freshest thing Sega had done with Sonic in ages.

Edit: And the soundtrack owned

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
sonic mania is the only good sonic game in over 2 decades with the weakest parts being them not letting the team just full on make only new levels and despite everyone loving it theyre going to never let that team make a follow up lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Sonic soundtracks are never not fantastic. But see how you're mentioning reimagined levels from the past? And after 06,a werewolf and Black Knight, going back to what worked would be "fresh".

I love that we've spent console generations debating whether the og sonic games are misunderstood masterpieces or just someone taking mario to the extreme. Then balon wonderland came along and said, it's the latter, naka doesn't seem to understand gamefeel on a fundamental level. So sonic is a miracle in it's current form.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm not denying they went back to the well, I'm saying they did more than just slap a new coat of paint on the old levels. The levels in Sonic Generations carried over aesthetics and bits and pieces of the structure, but by and large they played and felt markedly different from their predecessors. Whether that's enough to not take Sega to task for banking on nostalgia is subjective, but to me it's part of what made Generations good and not just a lovely retread.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

sonic mania is the only good sonic game in over 2 decades with the weakest parts being them not letting the team just full on make only new levels and despite everyone loving it theyre going to never let that team make a follow up lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

there's been specific comments on kiryu not going into fighting games before from toshihiro nagoshi as it'd end up with kiryu hitting women

That is extremely cool of him and really respectable. Someone so prominent in an industry plagued with sexism having that moral stance is awesome to see.

Stux posted:

How could you not like Generations?! Apparently the game they put out on the Wii beforehand (Colors?) was good as well. I never played that, though.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 30, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

That is extremely cool of him and really respectable. Someone so prominent in an industry plagued with sexism having that moral stance is awesome to see.

How could you not like Generations?! Apparently the game they put out on the Wii beforehand (Colors?) was good as well. I never played that, though.

Kiryu slaps a 7 year old girl in the face full force in his first game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sonic Colors, which admittedly I played only some of, was pretty fun. Sonic World was a good start but has some really botched bits.

Sonic Mania was really good and I honestly do not understand what is going on at Sega that they hounded the team for an unplanned DLC and then went "nah no sequel"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
sonic team probably got really mad the mania team ignored their "only male hedgehogs can go super" lore bible directive and had them shot out of a cannon for it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stux posted:

Sonic Team didn't force them to reuse old stages. They did not have the time and resources to make a game with only new levels. Takashi Iizuka suggested they reuse and remix old levels.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That sucks. It's been cool seeing Paul Veer's career take off from early days with Vlambeer to making an official Sonic game that after watching some reviews, it appears many consider to be the best. Not sure what Sonic Team/Sega were thinking but yeah, they should have let them make a sequel if they wanted to. Common sense would suggest Sega would have begged they make more but the industry can be weird sometimes, I guess.

Was just looking at Sonic Generations being backwards compatible and they X-Enhanced it to be 4k rather than 60fps :negative:

Edit: On the subject, what's the consensus on Sonic CD? I vaguely recall there being some odd mechanic where there's two different versions of every level, I think? I just remember the bonus stages having a really good aesthetic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

That scene is not canon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sonic CD is a weird offshoot of the Sonic formula and the first warning that not all was good in Sonic land. Its not that its a bad game, per se, but it has some mechanics and ideas that just aren't well thought out or work smoothly and plays almost like a puzzle game sometimes.

Im not a big fan but some people love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmOZDMcM1fo