Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mostly very sexist but IIRC there was racism in there too.
I wish you'd made this post when we were looking for a new title for the UK Cartoons thread.

e: 1975 - A conference of Labour Party members vote against continued membership of the EEC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

After the BLM protests there was a fair amount of gammon grumbling about how all the old "classic" telly with sus attitudes to race was definitely going to be cancelled because you can't joke about nuffink no more. Did any of that actually happen? Last time I checked the episode of Fawlty Towers with the hard N is still up on Netflix.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They put a card up at the beginning saying "this episode contains racial language which is indicative of the time and place it was recorded and may offend modern audiences" on the episode that even John Cleese said should probably no longer air uncensored back in 1992.

This of course was the worst racist oppression to happen ever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1355461489826680842?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

They put a card up at the beginning saying "this episode contains racial language which is indicative of the time and place it was recorded and may offend modern audiences" on the episode that even John Cleese said should probably no longer air uncensored back in 1992.

This of course was the worst racist oppression to happen ever.

I always liked that bit of that episode because (I *assume* deliberately although I'm less certain nowadays with the way Cleese has unleashed his inner gammon) it takes the piss out of that strain of "acceptable racism". Basil is appalled by the Major's casual racism but doesn't challenge it, and is desperately trying to repress his own around the Germans ("Don't mention the war!"), then ten minutes (and a head injury) later is screaming "WHO WON THE BLOODY WAR ANYWAY?" at them.

For me it's taking away a lot of the impact of the episode if you remove the Major's bit, and even without the subtext it's very, very clearly meant to be taking the piss out of that type of racism. In fact I always wonder, with that sort of self-censorship, if it's an indicator that the executives actually identify at least a little bit of the content and feel guilty about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wachter posted:

After the BLM protests there was a fair amount of gammon grumbling about how all the old "classic" telly with sus attitudes to race was definitely going to be cancelled because you can't joke about nuffink no more. Did any of that actually happen? Last time I checked the episode of Fawlty Towers with the hard N is still up on Netflix.

Channel 4 decided to censor the Inbetweeners by consolidating it onto its own streaming platform and deleting it from the rest of the internet.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently this is A Thing, I forget the actual name of the phenomenon but I remember watching a documentary about it (or rather about the various ways the brain gets confused when doing repetitive tasks - the main thrust was about the use of checklists by pilots to prevent it), and they specifically mentioned the phenomenon of bus drivers starting to drive home or taking a direct route between stops instead of driving the route.

On the odd occasion my dad would take me to school instead of mum, he'd frequently forget about me quietly playing pokemans in the back seat while he drove to work (school was on the same first 1/3 of his route to work). This often ended with arguments in the car park of his work place such as;

:argh: : "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY ANYTHING!?"
:ohdear: : "I was trying to get a Zapdos..."
:argh: : "WHAT THE FLAMING HELL IS A ZAPDOS!?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always liked that bit of that episode because (I *assume* deliberately although I'm less certain nowadays with the way Cleese has unleashed his inner gammon) it takes the piss out of that strain of "acceptable racism". Basil is appalled by the Major's casual racism but doesn't challenge it, and is desperately trying to repress his own around the Germans ("Don't mention the war!"), then ten minutes (and a head injury) later is screaming "WHO WON THE BLOODY WAR ANYWAY?" at them.

For me it's taking away a lot of the impact of the episode if you remove the Major's bit, and even without the subtext it's very, very clearly meant to be taking the piss out of that type of racism. In fact I always wonder, with that sort of self-censorship, if it's an indicator that the executives actually identify at least a little bit of the content and feel guilty about it.
I think for most of the networks it was nothing more than that they didn't want to deal with the complaints from people who didn't want to hear a tirade of n-words and 'the w*gs' when watching tv with their kids right after dinner, and some of them may have even understood why someone might feel that way.

For DVDs and streaming services, yeah, keeping it there and in full is the right thing to do for context, because you don't accidentally go looking for that. It's the people who felt unfairly slighted by the addition of a card saying "this episode contains racial words" who you need to watch out for.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

stev posted:

Channel 4 decided to censor the Inbetweeners by consolidating it onto its own streaming platform and deleting it from the rest of the internet.

Lmao, funny you mention Inbetweeners, as it's what reminded me of the initial outcry: I recently had someone complain it "wouldn't get made nowadays", immediately after watching an episode on E4, on which it seems to be shown every loving night

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's always the olds, lol.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Blocking the bridge tunnel adds a 300m detour to everyones journey which is miniscule vs the potential lives saved. But as I said, prevents it being used as the rat run for half of Parkstone/Sandbanks/Canford Cliffs getting into Poole.

I think the story is still missing a bit of context that is presumably obvious to you but not actually stated; what is the relation between the planter and the bridge?

Did the planter block the bridge? Or were there separate pro-bridge and anti-plant factions who combined to win a vote? Or something else?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently this is A Thing, I forget the actual name of the phenomenon but I remember watching a documentary about it (or rather about the various ways the brain gets confused when doing repetitive tasks - the main thrust was about the use of checklists by pilots to prevent it), and they specifically mentioned the phenomenon of bus drivers starting to drive home or taking a direct route between stops instead of driving the route.

You can enter into an almost semi-conscious state when doing repetitive tasks especially when under stress.
The university in Arizona have been doing work on this for decades because every summer in the US a few dozen people drive to work on autopilot and forget they were supposed to drop their kids off at daycare.
One poor bastard spent all morning pointing the keyfob from their office window to switch off their alarm.
They thought it was being triggered by the intense heat.

Even though it was 20 odd years ago reading the reports on those deaths is still one of the most devastatingly heartbreaking things I've ever experienced.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

radmonger posted:

I think the story is still missing a bit of context that is presumably obvious to you but not actually stated; what is the relation between the planter and the bridge?

Did the planter block the bridge? Or were there separate pro-bridge and anti-plant factions who combined to win a vote? Or something else?

The planter blocked the dangerous road under the bridge. (It was obvious to me!)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you changed the town council to like, the Galactic Council, and kept everything else, it could easily slot into a Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy book

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's always the olds, lol.

I assume it's how firmly your mouth is clamped over the media carbon monoxide exhaust.

It's hosed up how media basically pushes these viewpoints then also publishes polls on how much the points are being absorbed like a serial killer returning to the scene to say wow that's crazy

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In what way? I mean other than "lowest common denominator, hated by critics but loved by a significant proportion of the population"? I've not watched a lot of Mrs Brown's Boys but I'm fairly sure none of the cast goes "Phwoooar" at a female bus conductor, or for that matter anyone in On The Buses had protracted cross-purpose arguments which is about half of the content of an MBB episode.

the gay couple wear scarves and mince and prance about the set and they inadvertently make innuendos about fisting each other and that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
SOPHIE is dead. :( Sudden accident, no further details.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

radmonger posted:

Yes the planter blocked the tunnel under the railway bridge. You can see it in the photo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

Oh that loving sucks, she was extremely cool and made good music.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Guavanaut posted:

Lame.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
No gods no masters etc, but, Sophie was my loving muse and inspiration. I'm devastated today :(

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Has anyone got a link to that video of a trader throwing a wobbly after the reddit thing? I can't find it.

Ed: found it Ed2 - apparently it's an old video and not of this week's events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGPBwGN-qsA

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 30, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has anyone got a link to that video of a trader throwing a wobbly after the reddit thing? I can't find it.

Ed: found it Ed2 - apparently it's an old video and not of this week's events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGPBwGN-qsA

Industry makes it all look so much more cinematic. :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

the gay couple wear scarves and mince and prance about the set and they inadvertently make innuendos about fisting each other and that

Right, but that wasn't really a thing in On The Buses (I'm sure, given it was a 70s sitcom, there might have been a "look at the poofs" episode). Like I say, the only real similarity is that they're both very much lowbrow. If you wanted a modern equivalent to On The Buses it's that loving terrible Lucas/Walliams airline thing, except they did it with utter contempt for the characters, and if you wanted a 70s equivalent of Mrs Browns Boys there's any amount of "big family of idiots with one "sensible" parent" shows you could go for.

Come to think of it, a *lot* of comedy of the last two decades has already aged *worse* than those kind of broad 70s sitcoms - obviously poo poo like Love Thy Neighbour is irredeemable, but On The Buses looks pretty good compared to League of Gentlemen or Little Britain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the best test of whether something is irredeemably racist or just of its era is what the people represented within later go and do with it.

Like Mind Your Language was definitely a bit problematic, but if it was irredeemable it wouldn't have a cult following in East Asia and remakes of the same premise in a ton of countries (unsurprisingly mostly Commonwealth; India, Malaysia, and Kenya have all done versions, but I think Japan and some others had a go too), whereas I don't think anywhere is in a hurry to do Little Britain in Penang.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of 00s and 10s comedy was really mean-spirited and bad taste under the cover of being provocative until they forget why they were even doing that.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It was because cocaine was all-time cheap

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

serious gaylord posted:

Yes the planter blocked the tunnel under the railway bridge. You can see it in the photo.

Yeah I didn't even notice the planter in the bridge picture so I thought you were talking about some planter in a park somewhere and was waiting for the story to come back round to why the bridge was relevant, lol

Serves me right for reading on a phone I guess!

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Inbetweeners isn't even that old. What's the outcry over it? It's a pretty accurate demonstration of teenage boys of that (my) generation.

They still show Dads Army with all the "Fuzzy Wuzzy" jokes from Jones.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ewan posted:

Inbetweeners isn't even that old. What's the outcry over it? It's a pretty accurate demonstration of teenage boys of that (my) generation.

i think its just there was a lot of gross sex talk stuff thats looked down on now more than it was in 2008? :shrug:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i think its just there was a lot of gross sex talk stuff thats looked down on now more than it was in 2008? :shrug:

Yeah, as Ewan said- a pretty good representation of teenaged boys. :p

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It probably would be different if it were made today - I doubt even shithead teenagers would say half they stuff they do these days (which they very much did in the late 2000s).

It definitely wouldn't be quite so straight faced or lighthearted about it.

stev fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 30, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure teenaged boys have their own different weird poo poo they chat about nowdays, just as the 00s was not the 90s but some things remain constant since graffiti found in caves.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

We've been playing some games online with my fiance's 14 and 15 year old cousins (and their friends) I can tell you that they are exactly as edgy and poo poo as my friends and I were in the 00s. They're definitely more accepting of LGBTQ+ issues but calling each other gay etc. is still sadly too common.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

isnt the 'friends' bit them mocking a disabled kid? its probably using it to show how awful the kids are but a lot of the people decomissioning shows are really bad at telling the difference

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

isnt the 'friends' bit them mocking a disabled kid? its probably using it to show how awful the kids are but a lot of the people decomissioning shows are really bad at telling the difference

Unless I'm grossly misremembering that they're just mocking the idea of a boy having a friend rather than a mate.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

isnt the 'friends' bit them mocking a disabled kid?

i have no idea why you think this, its just them making fun of one of the group of 4 calling someone else a mate

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No. It's a pretty spot-on representation of the bizarre but very real phenomenon that a group of male friends will instantly take the piss out of one of them if they have "other friends".

I have my school mates that I have known since I was four. In my teens, I was v good friends with another guy who didn't go to our school (his house backed onto mine). My friends would mock me for having this other "friend", to the point where I eventually became embarrassed and slowly drifted away. It is stupid and makes zero sense whatsoever, but they got it right.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's pack nature in essence.
You will never get rid of the built in necessity of the human mentality of pack ordering and such.
There will always being internal posturing to be alpha or whatever, here in the form of putting each other down with joke insults or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am glad I haven't ever had any male friends tbh, it sounds crap.