Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

How many cases? I can't find this literature.

I couldn’t either :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Fame Douglas posted:

You're wrong. It's not unlikely to be Covid, natural immunity doesn't last all that long - less than one year is the expected timeframe. And by now we've already seen tons of cases of reinfection.

From the CDC website:

I was told by my doctor to assume my 'natural' immunity from covid will start to weaken around the five month mark.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

liz posted:

I truly feel like I’m living in an alternate reality at times. People I know are still getting together for birthdays, holidays, etc indoors during winter (w/ masks but still) and having ski weekends and such... While I live like a hermit only leaving to get groceries and go for a walk.

I feel you. I'm still living like a cancer patient even though my immune system is mostly back to normal.

Every time we have a new outbreak here it's because people ignored basic precautions which are not especially onerous, so for the foreseeable future I will continue to maintain the basic precautions.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pyrotoad posted:

I was told by my doctor to assume my 'natural' immunity from covid will start to weaken around the five month mark.

Your doctor seems to be pretty up-to-date on the current science, there was a recent study on this: "concluded that immune responses from past infection reduce the risk of catching the virus again by 83% for at least 5 months."

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 29, 2021

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Everything I've seen about reinfection has been a news article every now and again with stories like, "Guy who recovered from covid got it again."

I don't recall seeing any studies confirming this as the norm, rather than an exception. I'm also an idiot layperson so I could be wrong about that.

Edit: i guess i should be explicit before someone reads my post and comes to a different conclusion than what i meant. There's a clear difference between suggesting that antibodies normally last at least a few months and suggesting that there's no immunity at all. The former of which seems to have been confirmed.

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 29, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

azurite posted:

Everything I've seen about reinfection has been a news article every now and again with stories like, "Guy who recovered from covid got it again."

I don't recall seeing any studies confirming this as the norm, rather than an exception. I'm also an idiot layperson so I could be wrong about that.

It's been rare so far, but if the theory that immunity lasts 6 months to a year is correct, we should see it becoming much more common soon.

However, there is also evidence against the theory that immunity fades fast. Some people who survived SARS seem to still have some immunity 17 years later:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/370/6518/811

Until this is better studied, you should probably act as if you could get covid again if it's been a few months since you've had it. Especially since reinfection seems to be more common with the South African variant of the virus:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trial-finds-south-african-coronavirus-strain-poses-reinfection-risks-11611941546

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Whooping Crabs posted:

Got my second dose of Moderna yesterday, and had a rough night. Muscles were sore (not just at the injection site, which hurts a lot), woke up freezing and shivering, nauseous, then woke up super hot. Tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable and woke up every 5 minutes. Feeling a bit better this morning but very tired, hopefully this is the last of it. Totally worth it though if it means that it's working.

Imagine doing that for three days. Last September I had contact with a roommate who had tested positive, but I tested negative twice, once immediately after his confirmation and then a couple days after I stopped feeling symptoms. I hit those windows of "infected but not enough to test positive" and "infection has passed enough to not be detected" pretty loving perfectly, I got an antibody test as well when I took the second test, and yep, antibodies.

Started in my neck and quickly moved to every muscle in my body, every muscle and joint felt like it had been through a triathlon. I'd lie in bed, alternating needing a blanket and stripping off everything but my boxers, trying to find a comfortable position, only for whatever area I was lying on to become painful in a matter of minutes. For three days. I think the most I slept in any one go was an hour or so. Taking a shower felt like I'd run a few miles. A "meal" was like half a grilled cheese, a small cup of yogurt or like half a glass of milk, my stomach couldn't handle much more than water and Gatorade.

I wouldn't recommend it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Got my first shot today - turned out to be Moderna. Didn't notice anything as a result for like 4 or 5 hours, then my arm started to feel a bit sore, and now it's a mild ache like I've had with other vaccinations. Way too wrung out from the weak to know if I'm feeling anything else from it - I'm thinking I'll know tomorrow if I'm feeling any side-effects. So far so good, though.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

I propose a global ceasefire in the form of a time snap that will allow us to freeze the present timeline in place for an undetermined period of time and then let humanity have a global discussion on how we defeat viruses and pandemics so we also just have some time to REST AND CHILL the gently caress out for a bit.

We’ve drove ourselves into a massive case of mental illnesses and barbaric behaviors from the effects of “plague fatigue” that is really making us have to come to terms with our own mortality and the concepts of scarcity, whether ends justify the means, and the value of human life itself.

Come on guys we have a duty to put the fight to a GLOBAL perspective and what the long term effects are for LIFE.

We can defeat COVID-19 if we work together and stop working against each other.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Randabis posted:

I propose a global ceasefire in the form of a time snap that will allow us to freeze the present timeline in place for an undetermined period of time and then let humanity have a global discussion on how we defeat viruses and pandemics so we also just have some time to REST AND CHILL the gently caress out for a bit.

We’ve drove ourselves into a massive case of mental illnesses and barbaric behaviors from the effects of “plague fatigue” that is really making us have to come to terms with our own mortality and the concepts of scarcity, whether ends justify the means, and the value of human life itself.

Come on guys we have a duty to put the fight to a GLOBAL perspective and what the long term effects are for LIFE.

I don't want it to be today forever

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

we should at least wait until the equinox so nobody gets stuck in endless winter while we hash things out

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

No. It depends on what type and how you wear it but what you're likely referencing was from a study that had it's findings misconstrued to say that a gaiter is worse than not wearing a mask.

I did a little bit of testing on this myself:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, I think I get you - a bit of quick experimenting with two of my neck tubes and a couple of masks I had lying about :

Old dust mask (the type that looks like a duck's bill) - blowing as hard as I can, could feel a bit of air movement about 30cms away (using the highly scientific wet finger method), but normal breathing wasn't really noticeable at all unless I was basically touching the fabric.

Single-layer neck tube - could feel air movement with just normal breathing at 15cms, blowing hard easily detectable at arm's length

Double-layer neck tube (also considerably thicker material): blowing hard detectable at about 10cms, normal breathing at a couple of cms. Also counter-intuitvely pulling it tighter improved matters, but I think that's because it was my nose and chin making a bigger gap over my mouth.

Thick lycra and carbon cycling mask (valved) - the valves have a cover over them that forces the air to turn 180 degrees - I could feel it easily at about 10cms but any further than that was my own shoulders so... maybe not as useless as I thought?

Disposable paper mask (the type with a load of folds in it) - basically undetectable, either breathing or blowing, further away than 5 cms. However two very noticeable "jets" of air out of the sides that stretched a good 20-30 cms if I sighed (actually blowing didn't seem to cause it, so probably just a matter of the shape of it changing with my face).

Winter balaclava (cotton/lycra with cotton panel over the mouth) - somehow worse than the neck tube, which is disappointing because I was looking for a reason to wear it.

I also attempted a reverse solvent test by breathing on my cat while chewing menthol chewing gum (which makes him pull a funny face) but he got bored and went to go fight a bit of dust after the second test so my results lack rigour, but I'll say the neck tube *did* seem to prevent face-pulling while the dust mask doesn't.

I've got a reusable cotton mask that's basically the same design as the paper one but without the folds kicking about somewhere, I'll try this test with that when I find it and I suppose just go back to having an uncomfortable nose and ears.

The outcome is that I'm using the thick neck tube for general use, and popping a paper disposable mask under it when actually going into higher-risk areas (the tube makes the mask a bit more comfortable and stops my glasses fogging)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 30, 2021

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Chief McHeath posted:

Started in my neck and quickly moved to every muscle in my body, every muscle and joint felt like it had been through a triathlon. I'd lie in bed, alternating needing a blanket and stripping off everything but my boxers, trying to find a comfortable position, only for whatever area I was lying on to become painful in a matter of minutes. For three days. I think the most I slept in any one go was an hour or so. Taking a shower felt like I'd run a few miles. A "meal" was like half a grilled cheese, a small cup of yogurt or like half a glass of milk, my stomach couldn't handle much more than water and Gatorade.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Yep, I had those same symptoms along with diarrhoea, then my blood oxygen levels started to plummet over the next few days.

I highly recommend getting a pulse oximeter to everyone in this thread if you haven't got one already, it probably saved my life. Without it, I might've just stayed at home struggling along, assuming this was how bad everyone else felt, with no idea about how much danger I was actually in.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hey what the gently caress is going on in California? Gov. Newsom's announcement that "lockdown's over folks!" seemed to come really suddenly and also coincidentally right as the recall campaign started getting a little more coverage. I just watched his announcement and he said that based on current predictions, in four weeks the ICUs in the 5 regions will have 15% (or higher!) capacity so we can just opener up now! Is this just a political ploy to save his neck or is this actually a sensible move? Stay safe Cali goons, I want to visit in the summer!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It is an irresponsible and nakedly political move to salvage his own career.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
If he didn't merit recalling before, this one act would warrant it now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Randabis posted:

Source your quote

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

explosivo posted:

No. It depends on what type and how you wear it but what you're likely referencing was from a study that had it's findings misconstrued to say that a gaiter is worse than not wearing a mask.

a factor that doesn't even need a study but can be shown directly is that how you wear it can totally negate any advantages of the material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBJGvtJ2lk

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

If he didn't merit recalling before, this one act would warrant it now.

Luckily my part of CA opens and closes based on the numbers and the science (or more so than other places), so Newsom's political machinations are somewhat irrelevant.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
wondering if anyone here with an essential in-person job has run into this; what do you folks think is the safest transportation option these days? I usually bike everywhere, but when the roads are icy or I have an unexpected flat, I sometimes need to choose between public transportation (two buses) and a ride-sharing app. typically I go with the latter and crack the window (masked of course). does that seem like safest option?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

wondering if anyone here with an essential in-person job has run into this; what do you folks think is the safest transportation option these days? I usually bike everywhere, but when the roads are icy or I have an unexpected flat, I sometimes need to choose between public transportation (two buses) and a ride-sharing app. typically I go with the latter and crack the window (masked of course). does that seem like safest option?

If the driver has covid, you're probably more likely to get it than if some random passenger on the bus has it. On the other hand, one person is much less likely to have covid than one of many. And you have more control over whether he wears a mask, how close you get and so on.
Also, if he does get covid it's more likely you'll learn about it through contact tracing before infecting your aunties.

So overall I'd say the rideshare / taxi is safer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Decent odds the taxi driver has already had the disease, especially if they’re the type to not mask up and demand the same of passengers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Almost half a million dead!!! Woohoo!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It is an irresponsible and nakedly political move to salvage his own career.

Pretty Much this and everyone I’ve talked with can see it pretty clearly.

It’s honestly ridiculous.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Almost half a million dead!!! Woohoo!!!

We are awfully close to hitting 100k dead this month

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Get studded bike tires and learn to fix a flat. The 45nrth studded tires are way better both in ride quality and ease of removal for fixing flats.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Wife’s going to get her first shot of the vaccine today. She’s 1b, people facing, but the nys veterinary society kept telling vets that they weren’t eligible. Eventually NY put vets / techs / etc on the list and the hotline has been telling people in the field they can get a shot. But man, weeks of bad info from your governing body? They’re directly responsible for the deaths of anyone they said couldn’t get a vaccine in my opinion.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/SamBraslow/status/1355368988021125128
:shepicide:

naem
May 29, 2011

CA’s going to be a bloodbath in three weeks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drove by a popular breakfast spot this morning and it was completely full with a wait!

Woohoo!

Opener up!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

naem posted:

Looks like two guests to a table, outdoors, generous spacing between tables... I don't know, looks the same as in many places in the world that are currently not bloodbaths. Should work out as long as there isn't too much spread in the general population... *checks covid tracker numbers for LA*

:monocle:

7,112 new cases reported yesterday. OK, a bloodbath it will be.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

gooby pls posted:

Wife’s going to get her first shot of the vaccine today. She’s 1b, people facing, but the nys veterinary society kept telling vets that they weren’t eligible. Eventually NY put vets / techs / etc on the list and the hotline has been telling people in the field they can get a shot. But man, weeks of bad info from your governing body? They’re directly responsible for the deaths of anyone they said couldn’t get a vaccine in my opinion.

To be fair, it's not like those doses will have gone to waste. They've been issued to other essential front-line workers who might just as easily have died.

Take the victories you can get, she gets the shot and that's good.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

naem posted:

NYC had busy outdoor dining over summer, fall without significant community spread. Not arguing for it or against it, just sayin'.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Just got my second Moderna dose. Guess we'll see if I start really feeling it in the next few days. I got this sweet bracelet that says #VACCINATED that I am absolutely planning to wear to work every goddamned day

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

PathAsc posted:

Source your quote

Myself around 1986 with revisions to the thought process involved with dealing with what could potentially occur and how it relates to causality taking the law of infinity into account in our current universe.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The arm pain from my first Moderna dose finally faded away after about 72 hours. I'm not looking forward to the second (but I know it's far better than actually getting the virus).

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To be fair, it's not like those doses will have gone to waste. They've been issued to other essential front-line workers who might just as easily have died.

Take the victories you can get, she gets the shot and that's good.

Fair enough, and you’re not wrong. Just angry about the miscommunication and lack of leadership. I’ll take the W and move forward. Thanks for the perspective.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My fiance and I have been a hermits for almost a year, I leave to get groceries and weed and that's it. We instacart large orders since we don't have a car.

I feel bad about going to the dispensary though, its not as essential as food but at the same time weed does help with being stuck inside all day. I've been leaving 20-30 dollar tips when I go.

Capitalism is already an immoral nightmare where it feels like every decision I make exploits or kills someone and Covid made it worse.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, making me feel like an rear end in a top hat for only dropping a $5 in the tip bucket at the dispo. Lots of people don't tip at all, the dicks.