Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Any good recent examples of the wandering tough guy genre? Stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub, Fist of the North Star, etc.

This is every manga by Tetsuya Saruwatari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Majo Taisen - The War of Greedy Witches Chapter 3

Making a surprise appearance: Phantom Maiden

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hypocrisy posted:

Majo Taisen - The War of Greedy Witches Chapter 3

Making a surprise appearance: Phantom Maiden

Unlimited torture works?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/title/56889/world-s-end-touring

this has good art

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Supersonic Shine posted:

So I was right. Raiden was just too cool to live.

This fight felt kinda fast, but I got the chills near the end anyway. I really didn't know which one of them was gonna win, and while I did get more attached to Shiva, the gods are the antagonists of the tournament, so this isn't very good in the long run.

Yeah it's kind of hard to like the "fighting for his comrades" character when the stakes of the tournament are just "mass genocide if gods win, status quo if gods lose."

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I don't want to yuck anyones yum, but those battle manga are insanely boring to me. Has there been anything good in the last year with an actual story?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My offering to this thread is a manhua with some of the best world-building I've encountered! The art is also very unique. I haven't read many Chinese comics and this one was pretty amazing to me. Random trivia from one of the author's notes - pretty sure he lives in Wuhan.

Heresy is a dark wuxia-type story about Mo Lianjian, disciple of a sect of immortal sorcerers and exorcists, and the trials he faces in pursuit of self-cultivation to find his path.

I have another recommendation that I caught up with recently and wanted to post here, as I think it's more oriented towards seinen readers than shonen, but I think the latter is its official demographic so I'll post it in that thread.

edit

Also I saw a few mentions of it with the search function, but I really want to recommend Kento Ankokuden Cestvs (and its ongoing sequel) as a great historical fighting manga. It's a fairly compelling historical tale a la Historie, except about a Roman slave boxer. The mangaka is a friend of Miura's, I think he might have been his assistant at one point even.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Tosk posted:

Heresy is a dark wuxia-type story about Mo Lianjian, disciple of a sect of immortal sorcerers and exorcists, and the trials he faces in pursuit of self-cultivation to find his path.

There isn't a word in that I dislike. I would like to read more Manhua, and this seems right down my alley. Thanks!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tosk posted:

My offering to this thread is a manhua with some of the best world-building I've encountered! The art is also very unique. I haven't read many Chinese comics and this one was pretty amazing to me. Random trivia from one of the author's notes - pretty sure he lives in Wuhan.

*hovers mouse over link* please don't be a webtoon pleasedontbeawebtoonple-

Ah, gently caress.

*clicks first chapter anyways*

It actually has not-garbage layout!!!! :woop: :woop: :woop:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Tosk posted:

Not really into the cultivation Hogwarts stuff but the art is cool and I like the monsters.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That is some good story structure.
I binged it and I like how the author gives every character proper agency, nothing revolves around one person, each one has their own story and ambitions and will pursue them.

Like how the Little Mo gets eliminated in the sect exam, that was highly unexpected.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That is some good story structure.
I binged it and I like how the author gives every character proper agency, nothing revolves around one person, each one has their own story and ambitions and will pursue them.

Like how the Little Mo gets eliminated in the sect exam, that was highly unexpected.

And ive jinxed it with my praise
Its going on indefinite hiatus

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dang it, right after I binged it too.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

grate deceiver posted:

I don't want to yuck anyones yum, but those battle manga are insanely boring to me. Has there been anything good in the last year with an actual story?

I don't read battle manga either but I made an exception for Chainsaw Man which finished recently, the "fights" are short and have very tangible consequences, and the world is quite logically consistent and the story is well thought out from beginning to end

Vesi fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 18, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Vesi posted:

I don't read battle manga either but I made an exception for Chainsaw Man which finished recently, the "fights" are short and have very tangible consequences, and the world is quite logically consistent and the story is well thought out from beginning to end

Can confirm, Chainsaw Man owns. I meant specifically that one where it's literally just two characters on an arena yelling special attacks at eachother for a million pages.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I love this one

https://mangadex.org/title/14375/tales-of-a-charcoal-burner

It's one of those completely different seinen that are short and sweet, with a very unique theme.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Interesting series I stumbled upon. Beauty Salon in Prison

As the title describes. The story is about Komatsubara Haru, a prisoner in an woman's penitentiary, who has been granted permission by the warden to cut hair and work towards a national license. It's a one volume story that halfway translated by this point but it's got a good feel to it, dealing more with the different customers that come through and how their prison visit affects them.

There's also been a stream of translations for Shiori Experience. The road to acquiring the band's trumpet player is not an easy one and this is the heaviest arc of the series.

I also felt a bit miffed that Subaru-sensei ultimately is just a self serving teacher. I honestly thought with her flashback revealing that old passion she had for playing music, and even realizing that her best student could be destroying her own musical ability she would at least take her off the line. But she just doubled down on her zeal so I'm glad Shiori is coming in to metaphorically slap her across the face.

Although according to the translators and just the setup, next chapter is going to be that moment of catharsis.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Brought To You By posted:

Interesting series I stumbled upon. Beauty Salon in Prison

As the title describes. The story is about Komatsubara Haru, a prisoner in an woman's penitentiary, who has been granted permission by the warden to cut hair and work towards a national license. It's a one volume story that halfway translated by this point but it's got a good feel to it, dealing more with the different customers that come through and how their prison visit affects them.

There's also been a stream of translations for Shiori Experience. The road to acquiring the band's trumpet player is not an easy one and this is the heaviest arc of the series.

I also felt a bit miffed that Subaru-sensei ultimately is just a self serving teacher. I honestly thought with her flashback revealing that old passion she had for playing music, and even realizing that her best student could be destroying her own musical ability she would at least take her off the line. But she just doubled down on her zeal so I'm glad Shiori is coming in to metaphorically slap her across the face.

Although according to the translators and just the setup, next chapter is going to be that moment of catharsis.
Good god is Subaru a hateable villain. A+ heel work there.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Subaru always struck me as the kind of teacher who wants her students to give their best, but feels the way to achieve it is to push them past their comfort zones with hard work. Maybe I just need to re-read it again since I kinda blazed through the latest chapters, but I felt that she was pushing Neon to be the best in her own (pretty merciless, given) way and when things reach a critical point, she does back off a little. She takes Neon to the doctor, cancels practice and tells her repeatedly to rest when she realizes how overworked she is.

Though she is way too competitive, I can't really hate her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Well the latest Shiori Experience was the perfect payoff for this arc. I'm glad I had the wrong read on Subaru in the end, because the moment of realization that she does understand what's best for Mitsuru even though it will cost her own band is all I ask a responsible adult to have. As a visual experience I still don't have a clear sound for 'Jack In' but it's still an explosive visual treat and the flash of color is very reminiscent of Pleasantville and the epiphany taking place. A bit more subtle was Mitsuru's eyes regaining their shine.
Save this link for the last couple pages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdxbmbnwbQ

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm not sure we're done with Subaru as the antagonist, what with the whole "Become my spy, destroy them from within, my order is absolute" discussion she had with Neon.

Though with Neon's epiphany, who knows where that'll really lead.

Shiori Experience is really the best.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mirage posted:

I'm not sure we're done with Subaru as the antagonist, what with the whole "Become my spy, destroy them from within, my order is absolute" discussion she had with Neon.

Nah, she's done. She's just saying that to save face and keep up appearances in front of her prize student. Instead of going "OK, the light music club won. You go do whatever you want," Subaru gets to pretend that she's still in control to the end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, that's my read of it too. I've really enjoyed how Subaru has been fleshed out recently and it's clear the artist loves drawing her - there was a great sequence a while back illustrating how she interacts with the band Vs strangers she wants to impress.

As for Jack In, I can only imagine it as a horrible cacophony of competing solos.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Nah, she's done. She's just saying that to save face and keep up appearances in front of her prize student. Instead of going "OK, the light music club won. You go do whatever you want," Subaru gets to pretend that she's still in control to the end.

To add to this, the entire point of her trumpet solo after hours was to highlight that her relationship as teacher and student with Mitsuru was "over". Not that I think Subaru will leave the plot since she's still an incredibly capable conductor and will likely contribute her own skills to helping the band improve further. But she's pushing her golden goose out of the nest.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mirage posted:

Though with Neon's epiphany, who knows where that'll really lead.

Shiori Experience is really the best.

Yeah I agree with the other takes as it seems more she was saying that to give her student a push, knowing it was what she wanted but was too conflicted to step into, which is a cool bit of character progress for Subaru imo. I believe that because Subaru's own action to Shiori's band playing seemed to be the same wonder and appreciation that everyone else had

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shuumatsu no Valkyrie has had 2 new chapters come out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1186017/1 42

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1188358/1 43

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jose posted:

Guess Buddha remembers where he came from unlike that hypocrite Herc.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Guess Buddha remembers where he came from unlike that hypocrite Herc.
This just solidifies Herc's place as worst friend of humanity. Jack this chapter however was positively charming and I guess this reveals the gimmick for the Bishamoten fight down the line.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That was a great entrance

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ignoring all this awful Hercules defamation, wonder who the opponent is going to be now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The obvious matchup is bishamonten

However the more pressing matter is whos getting pushed off the human roster, and whos getting on the gods? Again the obvious one for the gods is Rudra, but if any non-japanese humans get cut, more specifically if okita doesnt get cut, ill think less of the manga, even if the chances are low since that design for Okita is a reference to another manga from the same magazine.

We already got one katana swordsman, why have 2.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 30, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

However the more pressing matter is whos getting pushed off the human roster, and whos getting on the gods? Again the obvious one for the gods is Rudra, but if any non-japanese humans get cut, more specifically if okita doesnt get cut, ill think less of the manga, even if the chances are low since that design for Okita is a reference to another manga from the same magazine.

Whoops, that is the obvious choice. I feel silly now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Not much of a reference but more of a direct crossover, Requiem for the Shinsengumi shares writers with Record of Ragnarok.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nice to have an official confirmation that Heracles is a loving rat. Guess the salvation of humanity isn't really worth it if it would cost you a spot on Olympus, huh?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He was a lib incrementalist.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

He was a lib incrementalist.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Are any of human roster regarded as divinities? (And potential candidates for switching sides to the gods?)

Otherwise there's always the possibility of a tag team match so that the number of matches doesn't change? (Makes sense if they're going to have Bishamonten fight with his mates backing him up.)

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I saw some people say Nostradamus, which sort of fits? Also, as a Buddhist, super happy at this development, even if it's ridiculous as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

From Hilde’s comments I’m guessing her reason for saving humanity is that she’s in love with one of the contestants?

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Are any of human roster regarded as divinities? (And potential candidates for switching sides to the gods?)

Otherwise there's always the possibility of a tag team match so that the number of matches doesn't change? (Makes sense if they're going to have Bishamonten fight with his mates backing him up.)

Bishamonten is probably one god split into 7, hence Jack’s comment.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 31, 2021