Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

And then what? What did she do? Magically made the super wifi guy even bigger? That's your great metaphor, Holbrook? Ugh I hate this stupid comic.

Kennel posted:

I think most of them are reprints, often with small retouches (even before mask comics). IIRC there's been ones that were originally printed in the 70s.
Jeffy's got a helluva racket.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I like this.

Mary Worth

Uh, what?

The Phantom

Daduzi posted:

Ok, I've had enough and have to ask: why the hell does De Paul keep dropping "trusted man" into almost every strip? Is he really that proud of the name? If so, someone needs to tell him it's a really rubbish name if you want your character to seem badass.
I'm guessing it's a callback to the original Lucha Libre storyline from a few years back, but I'm not terribly interested in finding that and rereading it to get it all.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Thanks for Rexsplaining.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

SubNat posted:

I'm still so annoyed by this.
The tree is sentient, why didn't it say anything about this beforehand? 'lol relax ppl, just droppin' a branch, it happens sometimes, it's like [REFERENCE TO SPECIES CHARACTERISTICS]!'

If I'm not mistaken, the Dewclaw's tree is just an ordinary tree. It's the Tree that Lindesfarne and Fenton live in that's got the speaker and can talk.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

maltesh posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the Dewclaw's tree is just an ordinary tree. It's the Tree that Lindesfarne and Fenton live in that's got the speaker and can talk.

I only vaguely check in on them, so for whatever reason I just assumed it was the same house. Between the old/archive posts and the new ones it's all just a mashed together blur to me.
I only really pay attention when one of the Holbrook strips annoy me, which is unfortunately all too often.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Uh, what?
"The suit reminded her of an abusive ex" did occur to me but I didn't think that was where MW would actually take it.

Meanwhile I'm fully expecting this to be Luann staging an elaborate lie just to go "haha you DO like Jack!".

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Meanwhile I'm fully expecting this to be Luann staging an elaborate lie just to go "haha you DO like Jack!".

The Evanses are never going to come up with anything that clever.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 2, 1974)

Funky Reading-signs-erbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 1, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 6-8, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 4 and 6, 1917 (with a gap that needs some explaining))

The New Orleans paper did publish a Fontaine Fox panel on February 5th, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's another Col. Henry Clay Medders cartoon. His gimmick was a bad enough combination of themes the last time I pulled the shades down on him, but this go-round was extra enough that I'm not going to touch it with a 104 year-long pole.

Instead, here's a Toonerville from much later that doesn't make my head throb.

Speaking of gags that didn't age well, that Katrinka one was printed three days after Woodrow Wilson and Congress broke off official relations with Germany. The American leg of the European war was just a few months away. The revelations about the Zimmerman Telegram probably loaded a new subtext into the kids' Pancho Villa games, too.

Dok's "Greetings, Music Lovers" Duck (June 10, 1913)

Let's not end this one on a down note. Hit it, Joe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
days late but

Lowen SoDium posted:

Just tell your wife that the pants make her rear end look hot and you want to gently caress her. It's not that hard, Ed.

that's the problem :mmmhmm:

(i hate fictional character ed kudlick)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

(i hate fictional character ed kudlick)

There's certainly nothing to like.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This seems like something normal adults could just talk openly about.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This is a home run strip.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Reading-signs-erbean

Lazy art, lazy joke. This feels like something Batiuk cooked up in MS Paint in five minutes or less.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Samovar posted:

So, without further ado, in today's Blueberry: Yes, he's smoking a cigar and there are one too many aces but we are reading Blueberry, not the Zyborne Clock, or well, maybe you shouldn't HAVE such a stupid moustache, or Evidently boyscout here wasn't a part of the Christmas celebrations in '26

I'm already interested. I do like my westerns.

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 16th, 1940

amigolupus posted:

Just gently caress the robot already, Axa. We know you want to.

It's also funny that despite trying to present herself as a hardened survivalist who threw away the Dome's comforts, Axa's been nonstop commenting how hard it is to deal with poo poo in this storyline. And now that she's seen the inside of the swamp city, she's sided with them 100%. No hint of suspicion on what the swamp scientists want with the others, not even curious why the cave people would rather deal with dinosaurs or anything.

I've already stated my position on the robot vs Jason as a love interest, so I'll just say Axa has a lot of spirit, a stubborn streak, and a distinct lack of critical thinking skills.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Save the Mark Trail, save the world?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gently caress off with your boomerisms, Isopaljo.

For a second, I was confused how the boss could even affect the wifi in Dethany and her husband's home. Then I remembered that they're still being forced in the boss's mansion.

SubNat posted:

I'm still so annoyed by this.
The tree is sentient, why didn't it say anything about this beforehand? 'lol relax ppl, just droppin' a branch, it happens sometimes, it's like [REFERENCE TO SPECIES CHARACTERISTICS]!'
The tree is so huge and solid that the family can live inside it without issue, in comparison that branch is fairly small, and won't really do anything except smash anything it landed on?
Judging by the distance, it's not like it would gently caress up their neighbors house either. I don't know why any of this is such a big deal.

My guess is that this plot is only happening so the Dewclaws can congratulate Fiona for saving them from a branch falling harmlessly outside their home and say that they approve of her getting married to Rudy. :v:

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 31, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

The New Orleans paper did publish a Fontaine Fox panel on February 5th, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's another Col. Henry Clay Medders cartoon. His gimmick was a bad enough combination of themes the last time I pulled the shades down on him, but this go-round was extra enough that I'm not going to touch it with a 104 year-long pole.

Out of grim curiosity, what was it about?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Is this a Christ analogy?

And He Did! (February 1, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 2, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 2, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 5, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (March 30, 1947)

Those Were the Days (April 19, 1951)

Wee Pals (April 23, 1965)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Slammy posted:

I'm going to try to use "I'll referee this spooning match!" at least once in my life now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Kavak posted:

Out of grim curiosity, what was it about?

Description spoilered for people who don't have a grim curiosity.

The gag is that a Kentucky colonel is settling a neighbor family's dispute with the kitchen help by firing off his gun to trigger a comedy about-face, which makes it sound like a standard TV/movie cliche gag. What escalates its radiation level is that the help is a woman of color and the Colonel is an old white dude who could've plausibly been a still-living Confederate vet in 1917 (with everything that implies). And there he is, standing on a hill puffing out his chest and holding a smoking gun while she's sprinting back to the house, leaving a trail of "yes sirs" and mid-air sweat drops in her wake.

Leaving it out was a no-brainer...and that I pointed out it was missing shows that I'm a different kind of "no-brainer".

manero
Jan 30, 2006

This panel looks like it came from Achewood

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Were comic strips of the past more surreal, or am I just missing context?

Does Axa spend more of her time topless or non-topless?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cobalt-60 posted:

Were comic strips of the past more surreal, or am I just missing context?

It definitely seems like the format wasn't completely worked out and so it seems sort of awkward in some ways. It could also just be evolution of language. I love Dok's Duck but occasionally I'm not actually 100% sure what he's saying, or the sentence feels worded poorly.

I have noticed that a lot of cartoonists in the 50s really love drawing women in their underwear, which is weird to me since you wouldn't be able to get away with that in modern comic strips. I think the closest there is is maybe like, Arlo and Janis?

quote:

Does Axa spend more of her time topless or non-topless?

It seems to depend on the story arc, she's definitely spending more time topless in this one than in most of the others.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Slammy posted:

Spooning is an older term than I thought.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think Axa's character design is topless, and having a top is the exception.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Twelve by Pies posted:

It seems to depend on the story arc, she's definitely spending more time topless in this one than in most of the others.

Huh. Just for the heck of it, I counted up to this storyline, including the parts we haven't seen just yet, and came up with these numbers:

The Beginning: 24/30
The Chosen: 13/30
The Desired part 1 (Arkady Island): 5/30
The Desired part 2 (Sea Dome): 28/30
The Brave: 13/30

Total: 83/150

I had a feeling that they'd settled into her keeping it on in the first half to lose it in the second, but this quick glance shows that is inaccurate as gently caress. She's wearing a top just a bit over half the time.

Johnny Walker posted:

I think Axa's character design is topless, and having a top is the exception.

It might as well be, let's be honest.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drawn and Quartered - 1942

I'm a bit slow to figure out this last one.

MariusLecter posted:

Gotta be a Romulan and Remus reference. maybe?
Yeah...from what I have learned about Charles Addams, as well as his target audience - I'm leaning towards this as a "I have been around forever, I am a fixture of the Earth" vibe - as in: drill sergeants aren't human, they're an ageless force of Nature.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PainterofCrap posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Willkie posted:

Wendell Lewis Willkie (born Lewis Wendell Willkie; February 18, 1892 – October 8, 1944) was an American lawyer, corporate executive, and the 1940 Republican nominee for President of the United States. Willkie appealed to many convention delegates as the Republican field's only interventionist: although the U.S. remained neutral prior to Pearl Harbor, he favored greater U.S. involvement in World War II to support Britain and other Allies. His Democratic opponent, incumbent President Franklin D. Roosevelt, won the 1940 election with about 55% of the popular vote and took the electoral college vote by a wide margin.

e;

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm a bit slow to figure out this last one.

Gotta be a Romulan and Remus reference. maybe?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

He's the sergeant in charge of the newbies and hes making up scary things about himself. That's it, that's the joke.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

in this installment of The Timid Soul (June 15, 1931), HT Webster didn't have to include any additional legible words, but he did: if you look at the full-size version, you can see that the second line says "positively" and the third line, I'm almost certain, says "prohibited".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

PainterofCrap posted:

I must say, I am liking the one with the cushions and the ice-skaters.

So, in - probably the last you're gonna see for a while - today's Blueberry! Revolver Ocelot nods approvingly, or and I thought changing a flat tyre was bad..., or Blueberry quickly makes friends with his charisma and charm

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/30/01

Brenda Starr 10/21/45

No, you haven't missed anything -- Livwright is a completely new character.

And after five years, Brenda is finally getting a daily strip!

Smokey Stover 5/18-20/39

Spoilered for blackface.

Richard's Poor Almanac

So, do Hank and Too-Tikki go to the same hairdresser (and beret supplier)?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Leaving it out was a no-brainer...and that I pointed out it was missing shows that I'm a different kind of "no-brainer".
I'm always curious to know what's going on in these old comics, the bad and the good alike. And with the amount of historic comics this thread posts, I've come to see it as an account of history at least as much as my light entertainment. If I'm reading a historical account, I prefer a full account. In fact, someone could probably do actual academic research based on the kind of stuff you all are meticulously digging up, but that hypothetical someone would need everything, or at the very least need to know where there are gaps. Please don't make yourselves the arbiter of "you don't need to see this".

(No kidding by the way: if a student came up to me in the library and asked for material about comic strips, I'd recommend them a few books but I'd have no qualms to add that there's also this one interesting forums thread.)

Plus if it distresses you personally this much to come across 100 year old racism, maybe you shouldn't be digging through 100 year old comics. This one seems to have thrown you for quite a loop. Please also don't legitimately hurt yourself mentally or emotionally on account of the light entertainment/historic account thread.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 31, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I know I've said this before, but gently caress this comic. Detorie just had to sneak in a bit of transphobic bullshit, huh?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (May 3-7, 1999)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (May 3-7, 1999)

Oh, look, Corrie just skinned her own father. Knowing what comes later on really adds to how messed up this all is. :v: