Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What if...

Wanda, so overcome with that her entire family is dead and gone, desperately wants everyone back she tries to bring back the people she lost starting with her first loss. Except when she does it a hole rips amd instead this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lid posted:

What if...

Wanda, so overcome with that her entire family is dead and gone, desperately wants everyone back she tries to bring back the people she lost starting with her first loss. Except when she does it a hole rips amd instead this happens.

This would be so freaking hilarious.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lid posted:

What if...

my brother from another cinematic universe

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
so Geraldine was wrong about it being "all" Wanda right? wouldn't some force have to augment her powers to let her do all this? I guess I don't really remember what she was like in the MCU at all because I only saw some of the movies and only once each but there's no way she was this powerful

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Test Pattern posted:

It's either this or the "livestream" someone mentioned before -- it's been a few days, maybe a couple of weeks outside, and who knows how long inside. Unless the sliding the beds together is impliedly the night she made the rings, there's some space there, and given Darcy had to get the TV to start watching so we could watch, I don't think The Big Dinner is the series (or even season?) premiere. The only concrete timing we know is the transition to full-color is the night of the magic show, which is the day after the tree noises, and the pregnancy happens rapidly (so all the stuff in town in the color opening is ...while they're shopping for nursery furnishings and baby guides?) So the gaps are potentially before The Big Dinner and between the end of that and The Magic Show.

Those gaps could be ANY length and depending on whether SWORD was watching a livestream that our episodes are "edited" from orSWORD was watching multiple episodes airing constantly, nightly, twice daily, or whatever, the inside:outside time ratio could be anything from 1:1 to highly-variable and spiking as high as a year per day (though that upper bound is unlikely and only achieved if SWORD is watching a full-on marathon airing of WandaVision episodes that cover an average of a week an episode, so it probably reasonably tops out around a month a day, or more likely something in the 5:1 to 7:1 range). Notably, perceived current time inside has no relation to outside, as Geraldine is ejected midday, and Monica lands at night.

they see one episode per week, on Fridays

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Lid posted:

What if...

Given the upcoming Dr.Strange movie is explicitly about the multi-verse, chance ain't bad!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

fractalairduct posted:

If they go this route, I could also see the Space Stone going to America Chavez. The Soul Stone is tricky because its powers in the MCU are so vaguely defined, I don't have any thoughts on it either. I hope they're moving away from the Infinity Stones, though. That story's done.

the Blues Brothers have appeared in Marvel Comics many times for some reason...oh not that kid of soul

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
oh yeah, she does have reality stone powers doesn't she. her magic's red, the stone is red. it changes the nature of reality just like the sitcom dimension does.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Its Chocolate posted:

oh yeah, she does have reality stone powers doesn't she. her magic's red, the stone is red. it changes the nature of reality just like the sitcom dimension does.
Ehhh, but she's always had that color power and she got it from the mind stone.

Like, sure she could have reality powers now, but not just based on her magic's color. Then again, her brother got speed from the mind stone, so it's not really a hard and fast rule.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 30, 2021

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Its Chocolate posted:

so Geraldine was wrong about it being "all" Wanda right? wouldn't some force have to augment her powers to let her do all this? I guess I don't really remember what she was like in the MCU at all because I only saw some of the movies and only once each but there's no way she was this powerful

She’s shown basically telepathy and telekinesis prior to the show, but I think that has more to do with what’s easy to film rather than the extent of her powers. I think people would be less confused if they actually referred to her as a witch, her powers are magic like Strange’s.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

For all the movie's faults, Age of Ultron really did have the best explanation of Wanda's powers. "She's weird."

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I just watched Wanda's scenes in Age of Ultron to better understand what's going on. she did nothing but grim pained faces and had 2011 eyeliner on. that movie sucked

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Its Chocolate posted:

I just watched Wanda's scenes in Age of Ultron to better understand what's going on. she did nothing but grim pained faces and had 2011 eyeliner on. that movie sucked

One of the most shocking parts of Wandavision is that Elizabeth Olsen can actually act.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Everyone posted:

And the director guy doesn't seem shifty to me - assuming that you mean he's a secret enemy or Mephisto or something. He seems like a smart, confident guy who is itching to prove what he and all his cool, awesome gadgets can do. Now that he has a named enemy Wanda he's going to break out his drones and nanotech and AI badass weapons to take her crazy rear end down save the town Westview.

To be fair ‘White guy who seems supportive of you and was a friend of your mother’ is like in the top three list of ‘People who will probably turn out to be an rear end in a top hat’

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

GigaPeon posted:

To be fair ‘White guy who seems supportive of you and was a friend of your mother’ is like in the top three list of ‘People who will probably turn out to be an rear end in a top hat’

is this due to lingering animosity toward stepdads

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

One of the most shocking parts of Wandavision is that Elizabeth Olsen can actually act.

She's airways been considered a good actress. Marvel didn't really give her much to do before now though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its Chocolate posted:

Wanda and vision both suck in that movie and subsequent ones and this is probably the first theyve come to being realized characters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Its Chocolate posted:

I only saw it the one time, tried watching it again and quit halfway through. It's just the absolute worst.

In the comics, Wanda was kind of not that powerful with hex magic and then (when it happened) it was like "oh shes way more powerful than we thought, she's universal." It was kind of like Iceman is actually one of the most powerful mutants and has a whole lot of power over molecules but he never bothers to do much more than slide around and freeze stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like both Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, but is it worth it to power through to the fourth episode, where actual things appear to happen? I'm in the middle of the first episode, and I'm like "what the gently caress am I watching?"

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like both Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, but is it worth it to power through to the fourth episode, where actual things appear to happen? I'm in the middle of the first episode, and I'm like "what the gently caress am I watching?"

I’ve been telling people that you could probably just skip from episode 1 to 4. Maybe I’ll end up being very wrong though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, they're only a half hour long.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

It’s gets better toward the end of the first episode and picks up pretty quick by the third. I enjoyed them myself, Olsen nails the comedic aspects of the premise while still managing to bring gravity to the more serious moments.

If it’s really bothering you not knowing what’s going on just watch the fourth episode first, I don’t really think you’ll miss much by understanding what’s happening.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hard to say since we don't know the degree they're going to go back to the sitcom style, especially since we don't know if they stick the landing on the underlying mystery. Like, if it turns out there's some big bad causing everything and the show ends with a MCU movie-style punchup, I think general consensus will be "lol that was dumb." It seems like it'll be more interesting than that, but there's still some percentage they disappoint us.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Every episode is an improvement over the previous one imo, and it feels like you would miss out on a lot of context going straight to episode 4

e: if you don't like episode 2 at all though, you probably won't like the rest of the series

Firebert fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 30, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just wait another 5 weeks and skip to the last episode

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

This is the most expensive TV show ever made, I don’t think Disney cares much about the budget.

Thats what struck me about it. Especially with a similar type org to SHIELD, which always felt so constrained and B movie type production values on Agents of Shield.

Wandavision just looks expensive.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Thats what struck me about it. Especially with a similar type org to SHIELD, which always felt so constrained and B movie type production values on Agents of Shield.

Wandavision just looks expensive.

Highballing the estimates of what AoS’s budget would have been, you’re looking at the same seasonal budget for a 22 episode show vs a 9 episode one.

Another way to look at it is that they got the same budget as the first Avengers film for 4.5 hours of TV

Yeah it’s insane and it shows.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Its Chocolate posted:

Tbh it's objectively a huge mess but I kind of like it. it sets up a surprisingly significant amount of the remaining 1000 hours of Marvel movies too, if that sort of thing matters to you

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Also the 2011 eyeliner was a good look fight me

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Edmund Lava posted:

This is the most expensive TV show ever made, I don’t think Disney cares much about the budget.

Bitch what the gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

While I'd like to see some conformation about that cost, I know in interviews about Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Matthew Holness said people would be surprised about how expensive it really is to make something that looks really cheap.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

sliami posted:

Jesus, Game of Thrones averaged out at 15 million.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, wasn't Trials & Tribble-ations super expensive given the DS9 production crew's determination to 100% match the TOS sets as much as possible (obviously the greenscreening to insert the actors into existing footage wasn't cheap either). If they're going all out for the period sets (not to mention all the CGI) it's going to add up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, wasn't Trials & Tribble-ations super expensive given the DS9 production crew's determination to 100% match the TOS sets as much as possible (obviously the greenscreening to insert the actors into existing footage wasn't cheap either). If they're going all out for the period sets (not to mention all the CGI) it's going to add up.
Yes and they also rebuilt the Enterprise model from scratch

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Davros1 posted:

While I'd like to see some conformation about that cost, I know in interviews about Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Matthew Holness said people would be surprised about how expensive it really is to make something that looks really cheap.

The source seem to be This article from Hollywood Reporter. They’re credible enough that several other outlets are taking it at face value.

It’s a period piece so those are always costly to do correctly. They also used period appropriate lighting, sets, special effects and that can add up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Edit: ^^ That as well

sliami posted:

I'm guessing is all the movie-quality special effects (Vision flying, Wanda's super powers, the TV wall, etc) Also making some good 50's, 60's costumes must be hella expensive as well.

This is making me wonder if they're gonna keep the same quality for the following shows (I'm SO waiting for Loki's. Hiddleston and his gigantic sexy forehead are among my favorite things from MCU)

Second Edit: Are they using the same "green screen" awesome tech as The Mandalorian?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm guessing is all the movie-quality special effects (Vision flying, Wanda's super powers, the TV wall, etc) Also making some good 50's, 60's costumes must be hella expensive as well.

This is making me wonder if they're gonna keep the same quality for the following shows (I'm SO waiting for Loki's. Hiddleston and his gigantic sexy forehead are among my favorite things from MCU)

All the Marvel shows that have been announced are supposed to have these ridiculous budgets.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sliami posted:

I seriously doubt this is accurate, unless it's averaged out over the whole run and the remaining episodes go completely bananas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Olsen and Bettany are almost certainly getting movie-lead money, Hahn too, and Park and Dennings are pretty big stars too, a LOT of TV budget can go on the cast costs, then production design for a one-off and there's still a decent amount of effects and stunt work here, with CG for the magic and Bettany's makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

I watched through to the 4th episode and enjoyed it a lot but I'm also a fan of sitcoms and historical fashion lol