Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Barudak posted:

Its not that its a bad game, per se

i vehemently disagree. sonic cd is loving awful. wacky workbench is the worst 2d platforming level in any game ever made and the level design elsewhere is really really bad, made worse by the fact that they seemingly built levels to intentionally make the main gimmick of the game a huge pain in the rear end to actually interact with.

i can only assume the people who like sonic cd got a sega cd as kids and were just desperate to find something, anything to cling to in order to justify owning such a bad piece of hardware. like, i would probably place sonic cd in my top 20 worst games i've ever played, and even sonic 2006 wouldn't make my top 20. sonic cd is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Edit: On the subject, what's the consensus on Sonic CD? I vaguely recall there being some odd mechanic where there's two different versions of every level, I think? I just remember the bonus stages having a really good aesthetic.

it's actually three. every world has a present, past, and future (you start out in the present and can travel to one or the other at a time) which you get to by hitting a little sign post and building enough speed (if you lose your speed then you're hosed because you can't reuse the sign post). in order to get the best ending, you have to go to the past in every level and destroy Robotnik's little machines that turn all the animals into robots or whatever and make the future bad. I don't remember if you have to travel into the future for any reason once you do that in the past. if you go into the future without saving the past, you see how dystopian it is.

it's not a terrible game, but the theme is definitely better than the execution because the time travelling is annoying and takes away from what makes Sonic cool, which is platforming and speed.

I liked it growing up, but to be fair it was one of the only games we had on the Sega CD

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic Team didn't force them to reuse old stages. They did not have the time and resources to make a game with only new levels.

dont see how them not having time and resources when sonic team/sega couldve given them both isnt forcing them lol

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Medium update: It's considerably easier, more streamlined, and less ... literary, I guess ... than Silent Hill in its heyday, but the feel is absolutely spot-on. I'm still not done so it might all go to poo poo, but for now I'm impressed and pretty happy with how it's taking me back to the SH2/SH3 days. I noted before that matching the old SH games was a "for better or for worse" kind of thing, and that definitely stands. It's rough around the edges. But if you'll allow for leeway there (which I'm finding easy to do because, again, it's ticking a lot of nostalgia boxes for me), you'll probably have a good time with it.

Definitely not a $60 game, though. Deeefinitely a perfect Game Pass game.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Well Cyber Shadow took me twelve hours and 572 deaths to beat. Pretty good, it's no shovel knight though.

Time to start The Medium. Definitely not the type of game I'd buy, but maybe I'll like it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mem posted:

Well Cyber Shadow took me twelve hours and 572 deaths to beat. Pretty good, it's no shovel knight though.

Time to start The Medium. Definitely not the type of game I'd buy, but maybe I'll like it.

Did you notice any weird difficulty spikes in Cyber Shadow? I feel like the game really tried to put me through the wringer starting in chapter 2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cloks posted:

Did you notice any weird difficulty spikes in Cyber Shadow? I feel like the game really tried to put me through the wringer starting in chapter 2.

Im currently on chapter 7 and there are hard parts but i find the game to be pretty fair.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/PSUdotcom/status/1355649805373108226?s=19

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Imma play the absolute poo poo out of the show 21

mem
Sep 1, 2005
The difficulty seemed pretty even, there was a side area for one if the health/sp upgrades that I had absolute hell with. It's one where there's spikes and flying enemies everywhere and a box of spikes moves with you that you have to stay in. I think it was a get good scenario, I could probably go back now and ace it...but sometimes it felt like the double jump wouldn't work jumping off the walls and I was getting pretty frustrated.

Wasn't a fan of the bike area either but I only died a few times on it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
its a p strange situation that mlb didnt go the madden/fifa route and sell game rights out to one company and let everyone make games if they wanted to pay for the rights and it ended up with them having to make sony release their version everywhere else bcos no one else was bothering to make anything good lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stux posted:

its a p strange situation that mlb didnt go the madden/fifa route and sell game rights out to one company and let everyone make games if they wanted to pay for the rights and it ended up with them having to make sony release their version everywhere else bcos no one else was bothering to make anything good lol

I'm honestly glad that the lack of an MLB licensed game on a platform I have led me to the super mega baseball series, which is so drat good.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
bringing back SonicChat, which is the game where Sonic kisses a human woman on the mouth? Is that the one where he also gets a sword and becomes a knight?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

while i do love this hysteria around a sega buyout continuing there's been specific comments on kiryu not going into fighting games before from toshihiro nagoshi as it'd end up with kiryu hitting women

Make it so if he’s put up against a woman, it starts a Side Story where he helps them become a better fighter while also helping them with a quirky personal problem.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ok Comboomer posted:

bringing back SonicChat, which is the game where Sonic kisses a human woman on the mouth?

That's Sonic 2006, worst of the series. It's not backwards compatible, so you'll need a 360.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
the sword one is a seperate game, sonic and the black knight

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

That's Sonic 2006, worst of the series. It's not backwards compatible, so you'll need a 360.

Stux posted:

the sword one is a seperate game, sonic and the black knight

lol what a beautiful garbage pile of a series

I hope MS buys SEGA and they hire the ppl who made sonic dreams to direct

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
if microsoft buys sega then that means no more sanic, yakuza, valkyria chronicles, persona, smt, snowboard kids, phatnasy star, streets of rage and super monkey ball on switch

not sure if want (٥↼_↼)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

Iirc they did sell exclusive rights once upon a time but There was a carve out that allowed 1st parties to make their own games too. Ea or whoever made the exclusive multiplat title gave up and sony was the only show in town.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BoosterDuck posted:

if microsoft buys sega then that means no more sanic, yakuza, valkyria chronicles, persona, smt, snowboard kids, phatnasy star, streets of rage and super monkey ball on switch

not sure if want (٥↼_↼)

Yeah all those great yakuza games on switch like

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Real hurthling! posted:

Iirc they did sell exclusive rights once upon a time but There was a carve out that allowed 1st parties to make their own games too. Ea or whoever made the exclusive multiplat title gave up and sony was the only show in town.

oh that makes more sense, bit weird ms didnt want to make one? seems like a freebie franchise to pump out

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BoosterDuck posted:

not sure if want (٥↼_↼)

there's a bunch of xbox/switch only multiplats like Panzer Dragoon

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

finally the dream of the Sonic CD opening cartoon will be realized in a sprawling BOTW-style Sonic game complete with giant loops and jumps everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYW7-hNXZlM

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
MLB The Show is one of three games I've actually bought the entire time I've owned a PS4 and I'm ready to have that poo poo on Xbox from now on

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/VC_zaUil5pQ

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Stux posted:

oh that makes more sense, bit weird ms didnt want to make one? seems like a freebie franchise to pump out

MLB The Show was the only game in town in terms of quality really, MLB had to make an RBI successor in house because no one wanted to compete with The Show in order to get a game onto Xbox and Switch and it sold like a tenth of the copies that the show did or something.

I think 2K’s own attempt was so bad that they asked out of their contract, even.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Shirkelton posted:

I think 2K’s own attempt was so bad that they asked out of their contract, even.
Not really. 2k got pushed out back in the day when the mlb responded to the NFL/ea deal by making MLB games exclusive to platform holders. So MS or Nintendo could've made one, someone probably really wanted another Ken griffey jr. But since rbi bombed, mlb asked sony to expand the show to other platforms since no one else can compete. So it's still exclusive to platform holders, but I'm sure they sweetened the contrac and paid extra for porting to the new systems.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 31, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BoosterDuck posted:

not sure if want (٥↼_↼)

They bought Mojang but didn't remove Minecraft from other platforms, they just gave the team extra support and let them do more with the IP (like that dungeon spinoff that looks fun). I don't see them pulling all games from other platforms because they'd be losing money and the goal is to make money and also get a lot more titles on GamePass, giving people the choice to do as you described and keep playing Switch or grab a Series S with GamePass instead which becomes more enticing the more studios they have releasing games for the service. They'd also benefit from some exclusivity deals being voided by the acquisition such as Persona for example would no longer be kept off Xbox and so on.

It's actually a pretty healthy and consumer-friendly thing to do if their industry rivals are paying to keep games off the console. Buying studios so that no longer happens and they're available to all is cool and good.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I hope MS buys SEGA and they hire the ppl who made sonic dreams to direct

Why would you want them to do that? Do you want to see them fail for some weird reason?

Shirkelton posted:

MLB The Show was the only game in town in terms of quality really, MLB had to make an RBI successor in house because no one wanted to compete with The Show in order to get a game onto Xbox and Switch and it sold like a tenth of the copies that the show did or something.

Does Konami still make Pro Evo Soccer games? I haven't kept up since everything that happened with Kojima but I know there were a lot of people who preferred those games to EA's FIFA series. It's been a long time now but I remember really liking PES but that was... PS1 & PS2 era, I think? I hope it's still going because I know how crazy EA has gone with microtransactions in FIFA and they need some competition for their sports titles.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Does Konami still make Pro Evo Soccer games?
Yes, but they skipped a year for next gen upgrade. The 2021 PES is literally called a roster update.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I think it's even on game pass.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yes it is. PES is in a very good spot mechanically, though it lacks liscenses if you need that. I switched over to rocket league, gives a similar/better feeling moment to moment than either fifa/pes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bushisms.txt posted:

Not really. 2k got pushed out back in the day when the mlb responded to the NFL/ea deal by making MLB games exclusive to platform holders. So MS or Nintendo could've made one, someone probably really wanted another Ken griffey jr. But since rbi bombed, mlb asked sony to expand the show to other platforms since no one else can compete. So it's still exclusive to platform holders, but I'm sure they sweetened the contrac and paid extra for porting to the new systems.

2k put out an MLB game 8 years after the NFL went exclusive (MLB2K13), you sure about that account of events? I'm not saying you're wrong, I honestly don't know the story, it just doesn't seem to fit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think 2K stopped making MLB games somewhere in the middle of last gen. I remember working at GameStop during those years and people genuinely liked The Show a lot more. There was a similar quality gap between NBA 2K games and EA's failed attempts to bring back NBA Live. NBA 2k from the late 360/PS3 gen to early last gen looked genuinely appealing to someone like me who didn't care about sports games. Then somewhere along the line they added more and more gambling mechanics. I hope The Show doesn't follow the same path.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Rbi20 was such rear end. I need this. Plus my man Fernando!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

2k put out an MLB game 8 years after the NFL went exclusive (MLB2K13), you sure about that account of events? I'm not saying you're wrong, I honestly don't know the story, it just doesn't seem to fit.

wiki says this

quote:

In 2005, in response to EA Sports' exclusive license with the National Football League and ESPN prohibiting any NFL 2K games for the foreseeable future, Take-Two Interactive signed an exclusive third-party licensing contract with Major League Baseball (MLB), MLBPA and MLBAM to produce MLB games. The agreement, which runs from Spring 2006 to 2012, allows for the console manufacturers Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to produce MLB titles for their respective platforms, but bars third party developers such as EA Sports from continuing or developing their own MLB games.

2K12 was the last planned game under the exclusive licensing agreement and in a last-minute decision they renewed their license with MLB to make a 2013 Game.

Looks like they squirted out 2k13(it was a roster update), but the deal was already dead. Sony never stopped.

Best baseball franchise will always be all star baseball. Rip king

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Backyard Baseball is the only baseball game I accept in this house

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I'd prefer if Microsoft just bought the Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill IPs from Konami. Then we might actually get some seriously backed games in those franchises and Konami can focus on slot machines or whatever they do now

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

BoosterDuck posted:

not sure if want (٥↼_↼)

Minecraft, Minecraft Dungeons and Ori & the blind forest are all on Switch with Xbox achievements enabled. So you never know...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Grey posted:

I'd prefer if Microsoft just bought the Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill IPs from Konami. Then we might actually get some seriously backed games in those franchises and Konami can focus on slot machines or whatever they do now

Which of their shootman developer teams would you want making any of those games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Grey posted:

Rumor mill seems to be that konami licensed those ip to sony cause of both companies' close relation to remake dev bluepoint games.