Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

OldMemes posted:

You could also blow up the Brotherhood's HQ at the end of Broken Steel and make both factions your enemy for literally no plot or gameplay reason otherwise.

I was basically done with Fallout 3 by the time Broken Steel came out so I've ever only done the post game content once and this is exactly how I ended my run. The thing is, I think a lot of the NPCs are still flagged unkillable too, so you can't even slaughter everybody in the citadel afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

OldMemes posted:

The Encalve have gone from "this is how nationalism and fascism dehumanise people and hold them back, and these old people are full of regret and bitterness decades later" to "wow cool power armour".

You could also blow up the Brotherhood's HQ at the end of Broken Steel and make both factions your enemy for literally no plot or gameplay reason otherwise.

Caesar and The Master were interesting villains. You could have an actual debate with them in game and question their ideologies, and prove them wrong.

To be fair that’s how every commercial product goes. Fascism is bad, but they look cool and we can make money so gently caress it

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiVHpeh3Gt0

Something tells me even a total rewrite of the NCR questline won't fix the issues with this mod's writing.

Putting aside all the more egregious stuff, how were they unable to find someone with a decent Schwarzenegger impression? That's one of the most common impressions out there! Like one in every 4 people can do a solid Arnie, what the gently caress?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

OldMemes posted:

Caesar and The Master were interesting villains. You could have an actual debate with them in game and question their ideologies, and prove them wrong.

Joining the Master in FO1 was pretty plausible for the Vault Dweller, too, since they’d be guaranteed to mutate into one of the ultra intelligent supermutants and by that point would have gone from being a sheltered vault dweller to seeing how unforgiving the wasteland was for baseline humans.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiVHpeh3Gt0

Something tells me even a total rewrite of the NCR questline won't fix the issues with this mod's writing.

Wait, isn't that "hermit spider" enemy just that storebought asset that's in a bunch of asset flips on steam?

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/creatures/horrid-spider-17742

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kay Kessler posted:

Wait, isn't that "hermit spider" enemy just that storebought asset that's in a bunch of asset flips on steam?

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/creatures/horrid-spider-17742

They added hair.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

DaysBefore posted:

You didn't join, they still shot laser guns at you every time you saw them. But you could enact the robot presidents genocide plan despite the fact that since you were born outside a Vault it would also kill you lmao

To be honest don't get why so many people (other places, not here) are so hung up on not being able to join the Enclave in the Frontier. They are literally nothing more than fascists. At least the Legion has an in-setting reason for the way it behaves. The Enclave are just a holdover mishmash of 90s parody of American conservatives and obvious Nazi allegory. They've been killed to pieces multiple times and should never show up again tbh.

edit: Wait nevermind I just realised why nerds would want to join the fascist faction

This is why I'm not so hopeful about Fallout: Miami. Besides the page where they talk about the "one-great slaver kingdom" they list all the new factions they have... and also you can join the Enclave.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Fallout has serious themes, and deals with dark subject matter.
Fallout also has silly themes, and deals with jokey subject manner.

The problem some modders have is that they try to handle both, and handle both of them badly. There's stuff where the editor should have said "nope".
That and they seemed to have shoved elements from Van Buren in with no context, whereas New Vegas recontextualized the elements and ideas they reused. There's a legion car in the mod that's based on a piece of concept art for a car from Van Buren/Black Isle's Fallout 4, and it doesn't fit the setting.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

OldMemes posted:

The problem some modders have is that they try to handle both, and handle both of them badly. There's stuff where the editor should have said "nope".
That and they seemed to have shoved elements from Van Buren in with no context, whereas New Vegas recontextualized the elements and ideas they reused. There's a legion car in the mod that's based on a piece of concept art for a car from Van Buren/Black Isle's Fallout 4, and it doesn't fit the setting.

I kinda want someone to just make a 1:1 van buren remake if only bc at least they’d be using ropekids ideas and not be tempted to come up with their own

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

OldMemes posted:

I guess the question (which maybe ropekid could answer, if's he comfortable with it) is how do you balance dark elements in humor when designing a Fallout game? The DLCs are divvied up where each has its own tone, but how would you handle it if it were like the base game, where the tone shifts from area to area, or from NPC to NPC? I've only seen bits and pieces of the mod, so I don't know if there's any writing or ideas that stand above the rest. If there are, what's the ideal way of presenting it.

OldMemes posted:

I have mixed feelings on the original Van Buren stuff that I've read, though most of the negative is focused on the main plot, which seems sort of flat (though maybe that's not fair.)

That said, there's a wealth of interesting stuff in it like the Daughters of Hecate, or the pursuit by the prison robots, which would have been more interesting than bringing back the BoS/Enclave again.

It sounds like some of it did make it in, like the space station bit, but I don't know of anything else. In general, I like it when cut content or ideas get repurposed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think what we got in New Vegas is head and shoulders above what I've read about Van Buren.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Max Wilco posted:

I guess the question (which maybe ropekid could answer, if's he comfortable with it) is how do you balance dark elements in humor when designing a Fallout game? The DLCs are divvied up where each has its own tone, but how would you handle it if it were like the base game, where the tone shifts from area to area, or from NPC to NPC? I've only seen bits and pieces of the mod, so I don't know if there's any writing or ideas that stand above the rest. If there are, what's the ideal way of presenting it.

One big thing would be for the "Project Lead" to do some leading and not passing the buck, "I just did bug fixes". Imagine a world where Ropekid as the lead designer and director of NV answered questions with "Oh I just made caravan and sang songs."

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 31, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The one thing I really, REALLY wish we'd had was the way that locations were going to change based on stuff you did and how far you were through the main quest. Like if you didn't help the NCR people would gradually board up their houses at the dam and just leave town (going faster if you help their enemies, of course). Of course that's kind of reliant on the Fallout map and it's date scrolling making the trips between towns take a really long time, much longer than in New Vegas.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think what we got in New Vegas is head and shoulders above what I've read about Van Buren.

that's a natural result of letting ideas cook for so long, I think. Some of the stuff on the cutting room floor really deserves to be there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Those cool chariots didn't deserve to be cut. Looked rad

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I bet Van Buren didn't even have Fantastic, who is the best character in New Vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thats a funny way of spelling No Bark.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It had a super-mutant who scared people off when they came to kill him by waving around some pipes he'd tied together like it was a minigun though. Maybe he made gun noises with his mouth too?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reddit user Waldo672 did a roundup of the frontier drama.

Frontier drama posted:

The inevitable write-up of this one is going to be something.

Since the release of the mod 12 days ago we've had:

Disgruntled former dev team members releasing mods for the mod as soon as it's released to put back in content removed due to creative differences.

YouTube drama featuring accusations of faking COVID to get donations

Trump drama, because of course there is.

Players complain about poor performance in the game. Devs respond with get a better computer. Developer of another big mod reveals they offered to help with optimisation but were rejected and then reveals the extent of the laughably unoptimised assets

The usual Gamer™ complaints about brekaing immersion and being lore-unfriendly

There's an Easter egg of a high score board of a shooting mini-game featuring the real names of the Devs. Unfortunately one Dev has the same name as prominent neo-Nazi white supemacist, drama ensues.

Critics begin laughing at the juvenile sexual content in the mod and the more unusual fetishistic stuff (overly long dialogue about a female character's sweaty feet, sex obsessed lizard people who keep human sex-slaves, human-deathclaw sex with way too many dialogue choices, implied human-dog bestiality). There's also apparently a pony in a jar Easter egg. Also - the player can turn a overly-sexualised teenager into a sex-slave but it's totally ok you guys because she's holding a birthday card to prove she just turned 18!!!! Devs respond to all this with "it's just a joke Bro".

Devs respond to criticism by antagonizing 4Chan. This goes down as well as you would expect. 4Chan begins digging through the history of the dev team resulting in the discovery of someone's "artwork"

The mod is hidden by the Devs so they can remove all work done by the particular artist - which is a lot of stuff (all the pip-boy icons, all the Steam achievement icons, all the female armours and armour ground models and all the melee weapons), the Steam release is delayed or possibly cancelled, the discord gets brigaded and locked, contributors and voice actors start demanding their content be removed as well, developers (including the project lead) start to quit and the project is pretty much abandoned after 7 years of work

Edit: forgot one

after the mod is hidden, a lead dev does a YouTube stream to try and do damage control. The stream gets raided by 4Chan and the Dev refuses to let one of the major critics on to ask questions. The stream is cut-off and set to private halfway through with the Dev weeping.
and more

One of the more vocal Devs gets doxxed and doctored images from Discord chat are sent to his employer

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

Reddit user Waldo672 did a roundup of the frontier drama.

and here I am installing a 64 MB retexture of 5mm ammo boxes and calling it a day, fully aware I will never ever use a weapon that takes 5mm ammo

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I can't imagine how bad it must feel to spend seven years working on something like this and just have it totally blow up in your face cause everyone hates the terrible thing you made. It's like the Scots Wikipedia all over again, right up to uncomfortable amounts of detail about the authors' fetishes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
This video seems to have a decently in-depth rundown of what went wrong, complete with interviews with some of the devs involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-3YjqXOzhA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod that adds the rest of the Fallout 3 ambient tracks to New Vegas? I always felt that the ones that did get recycled fit with Vegas's atmosphere a bit better.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The worst part about this mess is that Xilandro is an extremely talented modder who made all the impressive stuff in the frontier and this kills it as a CV addition. He is seriously a wizard with Gamebryo. The brass tacks team in the frontier could've done some decent work with a competent front end and oversight

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

The worst part about this mess is that Xilandro is an extremely talented modder who made all the impressive stuff in the frontier and this kills it as a CV addition. He is seriously a wizard with Gamebryo. The brass tacks team in the frontier could've done some decent work with a competent front end and oversight

His plan, from what I understand, is to release the car stuff separately, and he can list all that stuff he has done on a resume, if he really wants that. I don't know that he's actually interested in getting an industry job though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy jumping shitballs, I "was" interested in the Frontier mod when i last posted here. This is what finally changed the thread title?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

OldMemes posted:

That and they seemed to have shoved elements from Van Buren in with no context, whereas New Vegas recontextualized the elements and ideas they reused.

As long as dog city is canon I'm happy.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Holy jumping shitballs, I "was" interested in the Frontier mod when i last posted here. This is what finally changed the thread title?

The 7 years wait was worth it if you're into misery and the depths of human depravity.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The chariot tractor owns and fits the Legion's dumb roman cosplay schtick. There's plenty in the mod to knock but that thing is the right kind of silly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fargin Icehole posted:

RIP in peace Molerat Boobs. I didn’t intend for you to last as long as you did, but at least a fantastic mod is what ended your era. :rip:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As long as dog city is canon I'm happy.

Wasn't one of the guys at Caesar's Fort from a tribe that hung around the dog city?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LashLightning posted:

Wasn't one of the guys at Caesar's Fort from a tribe that hung around the dog city?

The Hangdogs, yes, actually.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lanius mentions Denver too, specifically that it was a huge pain in the rear end to conquer and they didn't get much out of it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In hour 9 of his 80 hour monologue, Ulysses also mentions Denver hounds.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/JamieF4178/status/1356136332502982657

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L49VXZwfup8&ab_channel=funnyplox

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A Sometimes Food posted:

The chariot tractor owns and fits the Legion's dumb roman cosplay schtick. There's plenty in the mod to knock but that thing is the right kind of silly.
Isn't that thing form Legion concept art that didn't make it into New Vegas?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Denver is where the Legion got a fair amount of their dogs after it was finally conquered, with their whole Denver campaign almost becoming their own Mojave-style quagmire.

LashLightning posted:

Yeah, Antony the Hound Master, you can ask him about Denver and the Legion's conquest of it, and he gets pretty torn up about it.

Zereth posted:

Isn't that thing form Legion concept art that didn't make it into New Vegas?

Pretty sure it is yeah.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 1, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’s concept art from Van Buren day. The Legion were going to be a fringe / hinted at thing in VB, with holdings in the southeast, tentatively planned for focus in a Black Isle FO4.

I say tentatively but I mean ultra-tentatively, as everything associated with VB was tentative. The design docs that were leaked are from a hodgepodge of story and setting iterations. Hence New Canaan / Jericho being the same place with two different docs.

Denver was supposed to be basically a Floor Is Lava situation if the lava were just endless dogs. Powder gangers-turned-prospectors lived in the husks of skyscrapers and traversed with zip lines and rope bridges. I think Sulik’s sister was going to be a CNPC at one of the local tribes.

Another fun fact about VB is that with the Dam as the actual westward edge of the world map, it was going to turn out that the NCR had been thrown into chaos when the villain bombed the senate at some point before the start of the story (because there’s no fast transit or couriers, nobody knows this when the game starts). I want to say the Crimson Caravan is involved somehow, but that might have been something I threw in when I adapted the docs for a tabletop game.

It’s still fun to replay NV and see all the VB stuff that made it in, one way or another. The BoS/NCR were postwar as they were in NV but in VB there’s a rogue group of BoS terrorists suffering from the stealth boy derangement seen in NV’s nightkin, and they’re raiding at the behest of the Crimson Caravan to spur weapon sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Another fun fact about VB is that with the Dam as the actual westward edge of the world map, it was going to turn out that the NCR had been thrown into chaos when the villain bombed the senate at some point before the start of the story (because there’s no fast transit or couriers, nobody knows this when the game starts). I want to say the Crimson Caravan is involved somehow, but that might have been something I threw in when I adapted the docs for a tabletop game.

I think their part in the story was that they were double-dealing to the NCR and the BoS. Hoover Dam and the BoS base both need things that the other has in abundance and the caravan runs between them, cooking up stories about villages they know about to cover up where they get their stuff from. If you tail them you can blow the whole thing wide open and start working on reconciling the two sides.