Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

amenenema posted:

That rules, full stop.

:yossame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

How weatherproof is that?
Seems like a rad af commuting implement.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
So cool

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

bicievino posted:

How weatherproof is that?
Seems like a rad af commuting implement.

Cheers. It's -kinda- weatherproof. I have a little hatch that I can put on top for when it's really raining or cold, which just leaves my head sticking out of a little hole. In practice if it rains I'm going to get a wet head and shoulders but the rest of my body stays totally dry, which is infinitely more comfortable than riding a regular bike in the wet. I also wear a full face helmet because I know one day somebody is going to open a car door into me as I'm doing 50+ kph, and that keeps my head a bit more dry than a normal helmet would. It's great for winter though, which only gets down to just above freezing here, I can quite happily ride in shorts and a t-shirt in most weather.

It's great for carrying stuff, for example taking a laptop or a change of clothes and a climbing harness and shoes to/from work isn't noticably different to not carrying anything.

It does have downsides though, it's legitimately less visible to cars if you're right up next to them, so it's suicide to try to lane split like a regular bike. You really have to ride as if you were a car and stay either in front of or behind the traffic so they can see you. It also won't fit through some of the bollards they have at the entrances to cycleways and it's slower than a road bike around sharp corners. I've modified my commute route to favour long flat straight roads even if they're very busy, because I can easily keep up with traffic on them.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Neat. My commute is about 19mi on a mup, so no car concerns, but it's miserable weather half the year.
I doubt I'd actually ever spring for one, but it's fun to ponder.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Cyberpunk 250W
I loving hate velomobiles but that coroplast contraption owns bones. Also the the NZ ebikes rules are insane!

did you document your LED setup?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

I loving hate velomobiles but that coroplast contraption owns bones. Also the the NZ ebikes rules are insane!

did you document your LED setup?

Nah but they're currently all broken anyway! Got some waterproof LED strips from aliexpress with self-adhesive backing, 2 x 1m warm white strips down each side and 1 x 1m red strip down the back. They're all 12V and I was supplying them from a voltage regulator connected to the 36V e-bike battery. Unfortunately the voltage regulator shat itself recently and put 36V directly onto all of the LED's and fried them so I have to replace them. You can't see in those pictures but it also has indicators that I can activate from the handlebars, they're especially important when I have the rain cover on as I can't get my arms out to signal turns.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Blackhawk posted:

Well without the motor it's legal anywhere because it's three wheeled and pedal powered, which counts as a bicycle in any country that I know of. They're typically called velomobiles and you can buy them commercially, full carbon fibre and very nice but also super expensive.

With the motor it's also fine as long as you comply with local e-bike regulations. I'm in New Zealand which is really weird from a regulatory point of view, e-bikes here are limited to 250W but there's no speed limit, so with a bike like this with better aerodynamics you can go a shitload faster with the same power compared to an upright bike. The first time I rode it to work I was pulled over by the cops, but they figured out it was legal and I had no issues. Since then I've ridden past tons of police cars and never been pulled over again so I can only assume that the first guy sent an email around saying it was ok or something (he took a few photos).

Even ignoring that I can basically travel at the same speed as cars I feel a lot safer commuting in this thing than on my upright bike because it's so unusual EVERYBODY sees it, I get lots of honks and people recording me or waving etc. I also have LED strips down the sides and on the back so it's very visible at night.

Where in NZ? That looks super rad! You don't have to be super specific, but I'd guess north island and looks flattish so Palmy or New Plymouth? Probably way off.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Where in NZ? That looks super rad! You don't have to be super specific, but I'd guess north island and looks flattish so Palmy or New Plymouth? Probably way off.

Nah Auckland. Specifically commuting between Mt Eden and Mt Wellington, probably the shittiest part of the city to commute to because it's all busy roads, industrial traffic, no cycleways and lots of choke point bridges over trainlines and motorways meaning there are no quiet backstreets you can use. I could take a really nice cycleway or quiet roads in any other direction from where I live except for the direction I work at...

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Blackhawk posted:

Nah Auckland. Specifically commuting between Mt Eden and Mt Wellington, probably the shittiest part of the city to commute to because it's all busy roads, industrial traffic, no cycleways and lots of choke point bridges over trainlines and motorways meaning there are no quiet backstreets you can use. I could take a really nice cycleway or quiet roads in any other direction from where I live except for the direction I work at...

Maximum respect, it's bad enough trying to drive that part of Auckland let alone ride a bike there.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I felt a little bit bad about killing the thread so posting some pictures from today's ride. Did an out and back up a hilly side road, not a long ride but it was pretty hot. I got my front bag finally, I need to make a wedge or something to push it away from the headtube a bit so it sits level.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I felt a little bit bad about killing the thread so posting some pictures from today's ride. Did an out and back up a hilly side road, not a long ride but it was pretty hot. I got my front bag finally, I need to make a wedge or something to push it away from the headtube a bit so it sits level.

Nice, my CX/gravel bike has those auxiliary brake levers that go on the front of the bars, I never used them but I figured out if I turned them so they stuck straight downwards off the front of the bars then they'd keep my front roll away from the head tube quite nicely. If you have a 3D printer you could easily print something that clamps onto the bars and sticks downwards to keep the roll forward.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
That's a good idea, much better than my pool noodle idea! I might even have a couple of old aerobar clamps I could cut down...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

That's a good idea, much better than my pool noodle idea! I might even have a couple of old aerobar clamps I could cut down...

Counterpoint: pool noodles are some of the most versatile, uses-per-dollar things ever made. Hold your bag in position with a pool noodle, and in a few months it will solve some other completely unrelated problem for either you or somebody else (ideally somebody else you like, not, you know, some rear end in a top hat stealing your bike and using the pool noodle to make tainted drugs or something).

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I ended up using an old reflector mount, the kind that fits under the top nut of a threaded headset. I cable-tied some foam from an aero-bar armrest to the bit where the reflector would go, and it holds it nicely in the right place when the bag is strapped on.

Maybe I should carry a pool noodle in a back pocket like a katana? Over the shoulder draw to deal with those unexpected situations on the road...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yes, everybody should find a way to carry a pool noodle with them at all times.

What if you encounter an ornery young goat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjRWNmLdu4

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Our winter has finally turned from a wet, dark, lovely excuse to some decent snow and sun, so I rode to work for a meeting.
The commute:
The meeting "room":
The happy rider:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I got a project. Saddle fitted to check amount of seatpost set for me, and the answer is "perfect."

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Stoked I got this snap coming out of 7-11.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Just doin morning things

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

I like that frame, what is it?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Biggus Duckus posted:

expensive

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

Just doin morning things

ok so not quite the same spot as I thought when I first saw your picture, but pretty close. and far worse and older photos.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Biggus Duckus posted:

e.pilot posted:

expensive

(it's a Moots)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Biggus Duckus posted:

e.pilot posted:

expensive

This thread in a beautiful nutshell

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

This thread in a beautiful nutshell

I really like the look of bead-blasted Ti and, because of the lack of markings, I thought it might have been an affordable option for that.

I was wrong.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Biggus Duckus posted:

I really like the look of bead-blasted Ti and, because of the lack of markings, I thought it might have been an affordable option for that.

I was wrong.

Did you see the Waltly discussion earlier?
Reputable Ti welding company in China:
https://www.waltlytitanium.com/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Biggus Duckus posted:

I was wrong.

lol yeah

I didn't want to spend even more for anodized stuff but didn't really like the sticker look so just had them leave that all off

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
This is coming along. Lotta steerer :eyepop:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

compressioncut posted:

This is coming along. Lotta steerer :eyepop:

Noice. What crankset you going with?
Gonna stick with roadie bars?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

bicievino posted:

Noice. What crankset you going with?
Gonna stick with roadie bars?

Yeah I'm going to set it up as a crit bike first, a little more streetable though it has tubulars. SRAM Omnium crank probably.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:swoon:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
that's a nice bike

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
big boird

and a wall

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BeastPussy posted:

that's a nice bike

thank you for the validation

Bottom Liner posted:

big boird

and a wall

a big boird! that bike looks like a party

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Lots of nice bikes on this page. Yup.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
One day I will actually buy my own fat bike but probably not this year. The previous place only had them in stock if I wanted to pay $4,000 and the Trek store in Anchorage told me I might be able to get one next winter if I put my name down now. A year ago there were multiple Salsa Mukluks for sale at REI and now I feel like a sucker for not buying them all as an investment opportunity.

(There weren't any planes but I had to stop twice for dogsleds to go past.)

This bike is notable for having a dropper seatpost. I didn't really ride on any trails where it actually made sense to use it but that didn't stop me from making the most of it anyway.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Man, it's a pain to find anything except promotional material for the Poseidon Redwood.

But at 900 bucks for a competent off-roader, I'm going for it.

More info to come, I guess.

Has anyone got experience with this thing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This video review covers the spec/geo decently. Probably a tad long

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tae2qd16128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Yeah, Spindatt and Path Less Pedaled both have content on the bike, but that's basically it.

Wow,they ship quickly. Should arrive late next week.

:getin:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 5, 2021