Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkN4EJnnPZ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/1355600713037045762

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

concussion 2: morikawa (2028)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Considering he was an actual second for professional Japanese boxers, it makes sense. :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So did Funimation and all of those companies streaming directly on their websites make Crunchyroll pointless, or was it a bunch of hyperbole?

I ask because I accidently let me yearly subscription lapse and I was curious to how stupid I should feel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, Crunchyroll is still pretty much the big boy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean if you look at the current season, most shows have gone to Funi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well you know what, they're both owned by Sony so in the end it doesn't even matter.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'd be nice if Sony would merge the two. And maybe a roku app that didn't suck.

I'll have to think about my third anime related wish.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

I mean if you look at the current season, most shows have gone to Funi.

https://www.senpai.moe/?season=winter2021&mode=calendar looks about even this season. usually crunchy gets more of the really high-interest shonen type stuff though and funi gets more of the medium-interest stuff

if they merge that's err 95%? of seasonal anime being handled by one entity. what could go wrong.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

https://www.senpai.moe/?season=winter2021&mode=calendar looks about even this season. usually crunchy gets more of the really high-interest shonen type stuff though and funi gets more of the medium-interest stuff

if they merge that's err 95%? of seasonal anime being handled by one entity. what could go wrong.

Seriously, mergers suck.

I wish Crunchyroll would have taken the Netflix route. Then again, with Funimation and Viz starting to show real interest in the streaming market, they likely had to side with one of them or else face complete lack of content. They tried to do what Netflix did with original programming, but they took too long and most of the shows weren't good enough.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I gatcha money

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

At this point, the term "Crunchyroll Original" has been completely marred by both the near self-sabotage reveal of High Spice Guardian and Ex-Arm, possibly the worst anime ever.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

feels like a bit of a pointless branding exercise, they had been in production committees well before actually slapping their name on the front of shows

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

At this point, the term "Crunchyroll Original" has been completely marred by both the near self-sabotage reveal of High Spice Guardian and Ex-Arm, possibly the worst anime ever.

I liked Onyx Equinox.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Competition barely matters when every show is an exclusive on some streaming platform. It’s more a question of how many subscriptions the user had to pay to watch the shows they want.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

feels like a bit of a pointless branding exercise, they had been in production committees well before actually slapping their name on the front of shows

I wonder how different the world would have been if they had branded Yurucamp or A Place Further Than The Universe (they were on that committee, right?) as Crunchyroll Shows.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

homeless snail posted:

don't quit your dayjob eitaso
https://twitter.com/dempagumi/status/1353538730196410370
*squints at title of manga* ah, nevertheless,

thankyou for posting the greatest manga ever made my friend

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I spent all day playing Omori. And I will probably spend all Sunday doing the same. :cheersdoge:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

i still want to do a 3 episode test of high spice guardian so I hope it comes out at some point

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

sb hermit posted:

i still want to do a 3 episode test of high spice guardian so I hope it comes out at some point

The show is either completely done and they're sitting on it, or it was abandoned at some point in the production process. Either way it doesn't seem like we're getting it any time soon, for one thing, if they plan on airing it in Japan they need to buy a new timeslot.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
High Guardian Spice is done and completely made and is being sat on. I know this because people who worked on it on Twitter have confirmed it.

So it’s either bad and CR doesn’t want to release it (doubt this because they’re showing Ex-Arm) or they’ve decided it’s worth it to not lose their chud user base.

I will say there’s maybe a third option where they think it’s not a style of show they should release and we’re hoping to put it on a different platform instead but I highly doubt it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think theres that much of a coherent mode of thought to how crunchyroll works because crunchyroll is a corporation and releasing high guardian spice probably wouldn't impact the number of people using their service in either significant direction

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doesn't Ex-Arm have a TV timeslot in Japan? They probably don't have control over whether that gets released in the same way they do with their streaming-only American cartoon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I started attack on Titan and almost fully caught up. It’s pretty cool!

I don’t think it’s the greatest show ever like it seems to be thought of atm but I liked it

Every season is basically a different show

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf, high guardian spice was a pr disaster for reasons besides 'grr chuds.' talking about how a bunch of white people are gonna introduce diversity to anime was, not a great look.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've also heard other people in the industry say that Crunchyroll has used the reaction to that as an excuse to turn down pitches from actual PoC creators, "diversity doesn't do well" and all that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I've also heard other people in the industry say that Crunchyroll has used the reaction to that as an excuse to turn down pitches from actual PoC creators, "diversity doesn't do well" and all that.

They probably don't want to have a million angry manbabies cancel their subs. When Sony bought CR people were complaining about :qq: SONY GONNA PC CULTURE OUR ANIMES :qq:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I started attack on Titan and almost fully caught up. It’s pretty cool!

I don’t think it’s the greatest show ever like it seems to be thought of atm but I liked it

Every season is basically a different show

Attack on Titan leaving Netflix for Crunchyroll was a HUGE mistake. The show was a big hit on Netflix, but after the super long wait for Season 2 and it being on a relatively niche platform instead of the giant default of Netflix, led it's popularity to really wane. Though it has recovered a bit this year due to the final season hype.

Waffleman_ posted:

Onyx Equinox though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

That is stupid as poo poo.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought AoT has always been with CR? Season 1 massively increased their subscriber count.

Violet_Sky posted:

They probably don't want to have a million angry manbabies cancel their subs. When Sony bought CR people were complaining about :qq: SONY GONNA PC CULTURE OUR ANIMES :qq:
I haven't seen that reaction much honestly. The concerns are more around both of the major anime streamers being owned by the same company now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Attack on Titan leaving Netflix for Crunchyroll was a HUGE mistake. The show was a big hit on Netflix, but after the super long wait for Season 2 and it being on a relatively niche platform instead of the giant default of Netflix, led it's popularity to really wane. Though it has recovered a bit this year due to the final season hype.

Onyx Equinox though.

This was a bit ago and it was one person talking about their pitch, so maybe they've changed their minds

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Wark Say posted:

That is stupid as poo poo.

Yeah it's additionally gross because my understanding was that the whole advertising campaign that caused the chud backlash was CR's idea anyway.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

This was a bit ago and it was one person talking about their pitch, so maybe they've changed their minds
Ah ok.

Seriously, tho'. Onyx Equinox started out kinda shaky but it was a fun ride.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is it worth sticking with Tales of Zestiria? Because I watched episodes 0 and 1, and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on besides a baddy awakened, and there's a plot against the princess.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Ah ok.

Seriously, tho'. Onyx Equinox started out kinda shaky but it was a fun ride.

Yeah. Episode 1 was bad, but each subsequent episode improved to the point where it was a legitimately good show by the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious posted:

Is it worth sticking with Tales of Zestiria? Because I watched episodes 0 and 1, and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on besides a baddy awakened, and there's a plot against the princess.

the first few eps don't really get into the more fun bits of the cast, but also the x is heavily retooling a completely incoherent jrpg plot into something somewhat coherent with some kind of throughline but still awkwardly squeezed into 26 eps so it's not really ever like. great. it's just fun if you want a version of zestiria that actually almost sort of works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I never played the game, so I'm going into it fresh.

Destiny 1 and Symphonia and Vesperia are the only ones I've played.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 1, 2021